• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon was on Toonami and had incest tones.

1.) Chibiusa was in love with her dad.
2.) Uranus/Neptune were turned into cousins by the dub.

tumblr_m2apuwwT9B1rsdimto1_500.gif

best. ever.

If GAF can survive during E3, I imagine that GIF/pic would be quite handy.

And dammit, I've got "Kokoro no Chizu" on repeat over here - it's a great little tune.

yami4ct

i dunno. i find it hard to believe the Toonami staff lives in that much of a bubble; i've heard of Sword Art Online's plunge in quality, and i don't really follow anime at all

Calling it a "plunge in quality" implies the show had much in the first place. It has probably 3 decent episodes at the very most. The jump off a cliff it takes is more the show concentrating on the pandering it was built to deliver in the first place.

What other aniplex shows would toonami be interested in? I'm not super familiar with what studio produces/licenses what series

Looking at the big breakout hits that are relatively modern, I'd say they'd probably be looking at JoJo, Tiger and Bunny, Fate/Zero or maybe Gurren Lagaan. There are always a ton of possibilities, but I feel like those shows have got the most consistent built in western audience already.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
speaking of which, when does the series actually sit down and say "these are the types of Devil Fruit"? i only really remember them talking about Zoan, and now they're throwing around terms like "Paramecia" and "Logia" that i only know because i helped edit Raxus's guide.

They all got mentioned relatively early on (as in definitely no later than Arabasta). I don't think they ever gave an in-depth explanation on Paramecia, mostly because Luffy has been using a Paramecia-type since episode 1, but both Zoan and Logia got fairly detailed explanations pretty early on.

One Piece tends not to like repeating itself on explanations on details like that. For the most part, it's one and done, you better have paid attention to the wacky ass explanation the first time around. It'll go over story plot points ad nauseum, but not "scientific" exposition usually.

They all got mentioned relatively early on (as in definitely no later than Arabasta). I don't think they ever gave an in-depth explanation on Paramecia, mostly because Luffy has been using a Paramecia-type since episode 1, but both Zoan and Logia got fairly detailed explanations pretty early on.

One Piece tends not to like repeating itself on explanations on details like that. For the most part, it's one and done, you better have paid attention to the wacky ass explanation the first time around. It'll go over story plot points ad nauseum, but not "scientific" exposition usually.

hm. maybe i just wasn't paying attention. whenever they go into those explanations i kinda tune out lol

Seda

I think some character gave a very quick explanation of Logia when they were describing Crocodile. Zoan definitely was given a more clearly stated explanation.

Maybe.

Seda

Funny, I was actually going to post something about the flashback in Skypeia earlier today and how I really didn't like it AT FIRST how it seemed placed in the middle of everything going on. But, for some reason I never finished the post.

As I said in my last post, I enjoyed the flashback and it's impact in the end.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I knew I had an answer for this. Had to go back in time and find some of my old notes on this.

EUREKA 7 RELATED STUFFS FROM A COUPLE WEEKS BACK

I finally remembered what the issue was with the dub of the whole "limit of questions" mumbo jumbo. I knew it was a fucked up term but couldn't remember why, so I went back to some old posts of mine.

The term used in the Japanese version of the show is "kudan no genkai." "Genkai" means limit (you can see this in Naruto as well with Kekkei Genkai, or bloodline limit, abilities like the Sharingan), and the kanji for "kudan" when used on its own means example, aforementioned, or in question. Translated extremely literally, the phrase "kudan no genkai" means "the limit in question [or 'as previously mentioned']." In this case, what was "in question" in the context of the conversation was the amount of sentient life on the planet, therefore the phrase is about the limit thereof.

Thus, the proper translation would most accurately be "the limit of life." Which is WAY easier to understand.

Seda

It's still kind of weird that a 'limit of life' literally seems to affect the physics of the world, not just an ecosystem overpopulation.

Or something.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's still kind of weird that a 'limit of life' literally seems to affect the physics of the world, not just an ecosystem overpopulation.

Or something.

It's an issue of a time-space paradox.

Think of it this way: "No more than X amount of life can coexist in the same space." This is a natural rule that cannot be violated (for the sake of this argument just accept this as fact for a moment). However, due to certain specific circumstances, situations can arise where that natural rule actually CAN be violated, but since the natural laws demand that such a thing be impossible, the only way it can possibly occur is if the laws of nature no longer apply to the space in which this paradox is occurring. Thus tearing the fabric of time, space, recognizable physics, and so on and so forth.

When viewed in that sense, as a natural paradox, it's not so irrational or farfetched to theorize that such a thing could result in the physical destruction of the planet (i.e. the space in which the natural law would be violated). In fact, it's quite a logical conclusion to come to.

BUT, in order for that logic to work, the original hypothesis that a certain space can only sustain a certain amount of sentient life MUST be true in the strictest and most absolute terms, and it must be quantifiable and constant. The rest of the logic works just fine if you accept the very first assertion as an undeniable fact.

So when you look at it that way, the part about space and time being rent asunder isn't actually the part that requires the suspension of disbelief in order to accept. It's the original assumption ("only X amount of sentient life can exist within a certain space" as an inviolable natural law) that requires the actual logical leap.

Seda

So when you look at it that way, the part about space and time being rent asunder isn't actually the part that requires the suspension of disbelief in order to accept. It's the original assumption ("only X amount of sentient life can exist within a certain space" as an inviolable natural law) that requires the actual logical leap.

Thanks for the post, and yes it's that assumption that is the part one kind of just has to nod and say 'okay'.

Hola.

Did you guys here about Sunrise dishing out rights to their old titles?

http://www.toonamiinfolink.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1257

Angel Links
Argentosama
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Betterman
The Big O
The Big O II
Brain Powered
Code Geass
Code Geass R2
Cowboy Bebop TV
Crest of the Stars
Escaflowne TV
Freedom
Future GPX
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
Infinite Ryvius
Kurokami
Mobile Suit Gundam TV
Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
Gundam F91
Gundam 0080: War In the Pocket
Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Gundam: 08th MS Team
Gundam Seed
Gundam Seed: Destiny
Gundam 00
Gundam 00: A Wakening to the Trailblazer
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam Wing
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
SD Gundam Force
Turn A Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam: A New Translation
My-Hime
My-Otome TV
My-Otome 0~S.ifr~
My-Otome Zwei
Outlaw Star
Overman King Gainer
Planetes
Ronin Warriors
Sacred Seven
S-Cry-Ed TV
SOS: Tokyo Metro Explorers
Tales of the Abyss
The Wings of Rean
Witch Hunter Robin
Z-Mind
Zegapain

Also, me & my Fairy Tail again, someone actually got the movie on YouTube, totally off of story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3gchWqYM3g

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No shit, Naruto fans have been raging over my Twitter feed all morning and I know I am going to hear more about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom