• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

When they talked to Rayleigh he offered to tell then what was at the end, but Luffy didn't want him to. He never said there was a treasure or anything, just that he could tell them what was waiting for them.

I never looked at it that way, hm.

i'm on G-8.

ALMOST THERE.

Skypiea got bogged down quite a bit and some of the fights had some silly shit when there shouldn't have been silly shit, but the payoff was fantastic.

Hey, Toonami-Gaf don't forget to wish this guy a Happy Birthday!

image.php

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I read today that Shippuden has currently entered its fourth month of filler. While not Filler Hell bad, Shippuden can be bogged down with long stretches of pointless.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Can someone clearly define "Filler"? I get the impression that people are using that term to mean many different things.

For shows adapted from manga, "filler" refers to arcs, events or single episodes that didn't happen in the source material.
For example, the last two weeks of Bleach were filler because they didn't happen in the manga. Same with the recap episode of Naruto.
Despite what everyone was saying last week, the newest One Piece and Soul Eater were not filler, they happened in the manga.
Granted, the current One Piece arc is considered "canon-filler", in that Oda only wrote it for fun and has no intention of following up on it.

Seda

Can someone clearly define "Filler"? I get the impression that people are using that term to mean many different things.

Usually, filler episodes are not a part of the original manga plot that the anime is adapted from. The reason why filler exists is to allow the writer to write more before too much of the manga gets adapted too quickly. Because they are not a part of the written storyline, they are non-canon and almost always pointless, as in you won't miss anything by skipping them.

One Piece's current arc is a bit different though. It's a canon filler, meaning that Oda did write this arc in the manga, but he said it was not essential to the overarching plot. The arc has anime filler mixed in as well.

That episode of E7 was weird. As I understand E7 isn't an adaptation, but a filler-ish episode like that might have been put in place in order to reach a set episode limit?

Tamanon

Banned
Honestly, I think there's a bit of an irrational hatred of "filler" episodes.

To me, it doesn't matter if it was in the manga or not if the episode is good. I mean, technically the entire second half of Fullmetal Alchemist was filler, but it was amazing.

Seda

To me, it doesn't matter if it was in the manga or not if the episode is good. I mean, technically the entire second half of Fullmetal Alchemist was filler, but it was amazing.

I agree partially, but there is a lot of filler I dislike, and not just because it's non-canon.

FMA is great though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Usually, filler episodes are not a part of the original manga plot that the anime is adapted from. The reason why filler exists is to allow the writer to write more before too much of the manga gets adapted too quickly. Because they are not a part of the written storyline, they are non-canon and almost always pointless, as in you won't miss anything by skipping them.

One Piece's current arc is a bit different though. It's a canon filler, meaning that Oda did write this arc in the manga, but he said it was not essential to the overarching plot. The arc has anime filler mixed in as well.

That episode of E7 was weird. As I understand E7 isn't an adaptation, but a filler-ish episode like that might have been put in place in order to reach a set episode limit?

The show was 4 cour meaning it ran for 4 seasons worth of anime episodes. The timeslot and everything they were given allowed 50 episodes of material. They added some fillers and flashbacks as a way of filling out the entire 50 episodes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I don't consider that filler, but it was non-canon. The second half of FMA moved the overarching plot along (at a fairly rapid pace compared to the "canon" first half.)

What I mean when I call something filler is that it's story-filler. It doesn't move the plot along. This includes one-offs that aren't in the manga, and possibly some things that are.

http://reviewordie.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/george-krstic/

interview with George Krstic.

regarding bringing Megas back:

We’re still in the early stages of talking to Cartoon Network about exactly what we could do, whether it’s getting the rights back, or actually purchasing a license to our own show, or trying to get it resurrected somewhere else. There’s a thousand different things that we’re talking to them about, seeing what’s realistic, but yeah, we kept getting emails, we kept getting, any time we went to a convention… people are actually calling up Titmouse and asking about Megas. So it’s been long enough that it’s been dark: Megas is playing everywhere in the world, except for the United States, which we thought was odd. We want to do anything we can to bring it back.

regarding Bruce Campbell:

You know what, I would have to say that there’s a lot of great stories with Megas, because that was a show that I had a hand in creating. There’s all kinds of great stories, there’s all kinds of painful stories too, but I’ll give you one story to kind of close things out which was pretty awseome, going back to Bruce Campbell.

We wrote Magnanimous with him in mind, and we reached out through official channels to his managers and agents, and we’re like “Hey, we’ve got this crazy MODOK character that we want Bruce to voice, and we kind of based it on him.” And we got stonewalled. We couldn’t get through, couldn’t get anything. So then Chris Prynoski went to, I think it was a screening of Evil Dead 2 or 3, I couldn’t go, and Bruce was appearing and there was a Q&A. And Chris actually brought the script with him, and at the end of the Q&A, as Bruce was kind of being shoved away, Chris broke through all the bodybuards and was like “Mr. Campbell, please read our script, we have a show!”

And Bruce was cool enough to say like, “Hey, let the kid through.” And he took the script, and he actually read it, and was like “I love this show, I wanna be part of it.” I think that story kind of sums up how people reacted to what we were doing, and also how crazy we were. That one of us basically attacked a celebrity to make him part of our show.

You know what, I would have to say that there’s a lot of great stories with Megas, because that was a show that I had a hand in creating. There’s all kinds of great stories, there’s all kinds of painful stories too, but I’ll give you one story to kind of close things out which was pretty awseome, going back to Bruce Campbell.

We wrote Magnanimous with him in mind, and we reached out through official channels to his managers and agents, and we’re like “Hey, we’ve got this crazy MODOK character that we want Bruce to voice, and we kind of based it on him.” And we got stonewalled. We couldn’t get through, couldn’t get anything. So then Chris Prynoski went to, I think it was a screening of Evil Dead 2 or 3, I couldn’t go, and Bruce was appearing and there was a Q&A. And Chris actually brought the script with him, and at the end of the Q&A, as Bruce was kind of being shoved away, Chris broke through all the bodybuards and was like “Mr. Campbell, please read our script, we have a show!”

And Bruce was cool enough to say like, “Hey, let the kid through.” And he took the script, and he actually read it, and was like “I love this show, I wanna be part of it.” I think that story kind of sums up how people reacted to what we were doing, and also how crazy we were. That one of us basically attacked a celebrity to make him part of our show.
I always knew Bruce was the best.

Anime Boston had a SAO screening and this was the result.
Oh yeah, Toonami ratings gonn be just fine.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
http://reviewordie.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/george-krstic/

interview with George Krstic.

regarding bringing Megas back:

We’re still in the early stages of talking to Cartoon Network about exactly what we could do, whether it’s getting the rights back, or actually purchasing a license to our own show, or trying to get it resurrected somewhere else. There’s a thousand different things that we’re talking to them about, seeing what’s realistic, but yeah, we kept getting emails, we kept getting, any time we went to a convention… people are actually calling up Titmouse and asking about Megas. So it’s been long enough that it’s been dark: Megas is playing everywhere in the world, except for the United States, which we thought was odd. We want to do anything we can to bring it back.

That's a great interview.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, George is good people, he was not kidding about this being a long process, I think he has been saying that about Megas for some 6 months now.

Lol, checked Adult Swim Videos, they fucked you guys over. In your face.

Ah, and I will upload the toonami openings/endings.......once I get another domain.

( any spares? )

Village

Toonami gaf, I have a question for you.

I have been watching toonami for a while since is rebirth, and I have had something on my mind.

Do you that toonami will ever pick up enough speed to start taking hours of time slots before it airs now?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I have been watching toonami for a while since is rebirth, and I have had something on my mind.

Do you that toonami will ever pick up enough speed to start taking hours of time slots before it airs now?

There is a small fan campaign to get them those slots (11-12), but I doubt it. I don't even think they have the money to get shows for those slots at the moment. If AS ever gives them money, then maybe.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Probably not, Adult Swim hasn't let anime hang by itself in ages upon ages and they are of the belief that the comedy draws better then the action.

There is a small fan campaign to get them those slots (11-12), but I doubt it. I don't even think they have the money to get shows for those slots at the moment. If AS ever gives them money, then maybe.

they've still got Ghost in the Shell and FLCL which they absolutely refuse to do anything with.

Village

I think that they could be make quite a chunk of change, if they were to take some more slots.

If I may divulge into anime abit, toonami has been one of the main deliver systems of anime in the west. I feel like all they need to do is spend their money on the right shows

Not this
prince01.jpg

Not saying anime cannot get popular else where but their is an entire casual crowd of people who watch anime they find and like on the T.V. Toonami could be the delivery system it was before.

Just more repsonsible with their money.

WHO THOUGHT PRINCE OF TENNIS WAS A GOOD IDEA.

This is all all my opinion mind you.

However this would be dependent on jump or some other major manga outlet finding another huge hit.
Toriko isn't exactly working so I guess I will see when the new shonen hot shit comes out.

Village

I Liked the prospect of a saturday night toonami

from like 8-whenever showed shows from teenaged to adult range. Still was an anime outlet, they they spend their money .... on well prince of tennis.

Also atleast the blue dragon anime was good.

the staff has implied that they had very little control over what was aired on the block at that time, and Cartoon Network was basically calling the shots.

While not impossible, I think they would have to prove themselves a lot more and see a real push, to get more time and considering the 6 hrs they already have, I also kinda think they don't really need it or would see diminishing returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom