• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did and yet they didn't at the same time. Last Wii game (which aren't as good as the GCN games I'm sorry to say) got to about halfway through Shippuden.

Oh. I knew they got up to some of Shippuden in America, but I didn't realize they kept going in Japan. Neat.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair CC2 games really capture the essence of most Shippuden fights, all flash with no substance

The eighting games are still flashy as hell (your special bar in most games is used for either wood block jutsuing your way out of stuff or doing short cinematic specials) but not minute long affairs with dumb QTEish nonsense.

It's sort of if Bandai/Namco came around and made a perfect fusion of Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi and threw in the good parts of Super DBZ as well (namely some semblance of balance and proper fighting game form.

BT is the better DBZ sim while Budokai is the better fighting game. GNT 3-4 games are outta sight.

The eighting games are still flashy as hell (your special bar in most games is used for either wood block jutsuing your way out of stuff or doing short cinematic specials) but not minute long affairs with dumb QTEish nonsense.

It's sort of if Bandai/Namco came around and made a perfect fusion of Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi and threw in the good parts of Super DBZ as well (namely some semblance of balance and proper fighting game form.

BT is the better DBZ sim while Budokai is the better fighting game. GNT 3-4 games are outta sight.

this explains why i was balls at that game

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
im still waiting for clash of ninja wiiU, i remember the last clash of ninja game which went under its japanese name with the subtitle being special, didnt release here in the states, someone on youtube dug up that the reason they didnt release it here and skipped a year is because they started working on making a naruto for the wiiU, i was very excited. but it looks like it either got cancelled, or hit a snag or something, the clash of ninja series usually does well, and was the higher acclaimed naruto game series

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nah the Wii Japanese ones sold like shit and besides the last one played poorly.

The first US Wii one was bad, the second one was better but with balance issues, the third one was good, but not as good as GNT 3/4.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nah the Wii Japanese ones sold like shit and besides the last one played poorly.

The first US Wii one was bad, the second one was better but with balance issues, the third one was good, but not as good as GNT 3/4.

its done well enough in the U.S releases, i remember the series got a reputation for being an actual competent fighter, and so was the naruto game of choice

Oh God DBZ Budokai was great for its time. Or maybe I'm just blinded by nostalgia, either way shut up, that game was awesome.

I didn't even hear about Budokai until a week or so before Christmas and absolutely BEGGED my parents to get me a copy. Seriously, I got on my hands and knees and groveled. I'm talking full kowtow complete with snot, tears, and no concept of shame.

I couldn't sleep Christmas Eve, mainly because I was agonizing over the thought that my parents might not have gotten me the game. I'm pretty sure I shed a tear or two out of pure frustration as my 10 year old mind began playing the scenario of a DBZ-less Christmas over and over again in my head. Fuck if they spent hundreads of dollars trying to fulfill my insatiable appetite for consumer goods; if I didn't get Budokai I was running away and never coming back! That would teach those jerks!

It's funny how the mind of a 10 year old works.

Luckily I found a copy of Budokai underneath the tree when I sprinted downstairs at 6 AM, probably only a few hours after my parents went to sleep. Man, I tore the wrapping paper off that fucker so fast and immediately let out a gutteral primal scream of pure excitement so fierce that my balls probably dropped right then and there. This was 12 or 13 years ago but damn, that memory is still fresh in my mind like it happened yesterday.

I spent the whe day playing the shit out of Budokai with my dad. Words cannot explain how happy I was playing that game for the first time on Christmas morning, it might be the happiest moment of my life.

I wonder if JoJo will ever make it to Toonami.

The series is a licensing nightmare, what with all the band names and whatnot. It might be possible with part 1 and 2 though, but I doubt it.

I'd rather have HxH

I don't know, I think 3 long running series should be the limit. Enough room to swap stuff out frequently with that.

Though again, it probably won't happen. HxH may have a shot at some point down the line, though. I'm sure that's on the higher end of the requested series.

I don't know, I think 3 long running series should be the limit. Enough room to swap stuff out frequently with that.

Though again, it probably won't happen. HxH may have a shot at some point down the line, though. I'm sure that's on the higher end of the requested series.
Oh I completely agree with you, I was thinking maybe it could be a replacement for Bleach when it finishes its run next year. I have no idea if that's financially/legally possible though; Meta, Batdan, and/or bdubs would probably be able to answer that question.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The series is a licensing nightmare, what with all the band names and whatnot. It might be possible with part 1 and 2 though, but I doubt it.

It all depends on how long it will run. I don't see it getting past the Chimera Ant arc since Togashi has only covered one chapter of the latest arc. The anime is still at the beginning of Chimera Ant but who knows how long that will last?

It all depends on how long it will run. I don't see it getting past the Chimera Ant arc since Togashi has only covered one chapter of the latest arc. The anime is still at the beginning of Chimera Ant but who knows how long that will last?

Uhh there is an entire 40 chapter arc that takes place after the Chimera Ant arc and before the current manga arc. The anime isn't even half way though the Chimera Ant arc so there's at least 1.5-2 years worth of stuff to animate. Togashi will have returned from hiatus by then... right...

:(

Honestly I don't think it's a problem to load the first 2 hours of the block with long running anime like Bleach, Naruto, OP, HxH, Soul Eater, etc it keeps the block consistent. SAO has established you can get to 1 million> viewers at 2:00AM so I'd say make the 2:00-3:00 hours premier series that are 13-26 episodes.

Oh I completely agree with you, I was thinking maybe it could be a replacement for Bleach when it finishes its run next year. I have no idea if that's financially/legally possible though; Meta, Batdan, and/or bdubs would probably be able to answer that question.

The current issue with HxH is that there is still no bloody dub as no one has licensed it or if they did they've not announced it, same with JoJo (though that has far more legal issues). Once HxH gets licensed and gets a dub there is probably a good chance Toonami would pick it up I think it'd do incredibly well on the block.

How many episodes of One Piece are there total and how many have been dubbed? Do they dub them in season long blocks or on a per episode basis?

How many episodes of One Piece are there total and how many have been dubbed? Do they dub them in season long blocks or on a per episode basis?

No idea about the dubbing process, but we're over 700 episodes at this point and Toonami is only in the 200s. Who knows if Toonami will still even be around when the show ends in Japan.

BatDan

Uhh there is an entire 40 chapter arc that takes place after the Chimera Ant arc and before the current manga arc. The anime isn't even half way though the Chimera Ant arc so there's at least 1.5-2 years worth of stuff to animate. Togashi will have returned from hiatus by then... right...

:(

Honestly I don't think it's a problem to load the first 2 hours of the block with long running anime like Bleach, Naruto, OP, HxH, Soul Eater, etc it keeps the block consistent. SAO has established you can get to 1 million> viewers at 2:00AM so I'd say make the 2:00-3:00 hours premier series that are 13-26 episodes.

I swear, we'll have to rip the Wii (or Wii U) controller out of his hands and drag him down to the Jump offices if it comes to that.

There's 608 episodes currently (with 609 premiering tomorrow, along with an all new TV special).
The latest Funimation DVD release is up to 287, and so far they've secured the rights up to 336.

Currently the dub is up to "season 5 voyage 1" which covers up to episode 276 and they've already announced plans to dub "season 5 voyage 2" which should go up to episode 290ish. They've been dubbing and releasing in in these voyage box sets ever since Funimation got the rights though they had to redub the first 150ish episodes to save the series from 4kids plague.

Edit: Apparently the dub is up to 287 my bad

BatDan

Currently the dub is up to "season 5 voyage 1" which covers up to episode 276 and they've already announced plans to dub "season 5 voyage 2" which should go up to episode 290ish. They've been dubbing and releasing in in these voyage box sets ever since Funimation got the rights though they had to redub the first 150ish episodes to save the series from 4kids plague.

Edit: Apparently the dub is up to 287 my bad

Oh right right, I forgot that Season 5 Voyage 2 technically isn't out yet (street date is September 3rd). Even though Rightstuf sent my copy a couple weeks ago. They're weird like that.

There's 600+ episodes and counting!? Dear Lord I knew One Piece was popular in Japan but to have an episode count that long, it has to be a cultural phenomenon. Has Oda even given any hints that the story is winding down or is the manga still going strong?

mhs004

There's 600+ episodes and counting!? Dear Lord I knew One Piece was popular in Japan but to have an episode count that long, it has to be a cultural phenomenon. Has Oda even given any hints that the story is winding down or is the manga still going strong?

Well the crew
got to the halfway point of the grand line around two years ago.

BatDan

The original manga is far more successful.
The anime's massive episode count is due to the series opting for a 1 episode = 1 chapter style of pacing starting around the mid-300's.
The series is not even close to finished, there's still YEARS of story to go.

As for One Piece being a cultural phenomenon.
http://ithinkincomics.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/one-piece-isnt-an-anime-its-a-way-of-life/ Check this out.

Around manga chapter 600 and around anime episode 520 was considered the half way point by Oda. As BatDan said the anime at Thriller Bark went to a 1:1 pacing as to not prevent the series from having filler arcs and keep the series as close to the manga as possible. Course you could argue if they had gone for the more traditional good pace canon arc -> 10 episode filler -> repeat they'd be around the same number of anime episodes in terms of plot content anyways so it's kind of a wash.

That level of popularity astounds me, I had no idea OP was that big. Comparing it to Harry Potter in America seemed like a good analogy, now all it needs is a theme park.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That level of popularity astounds me, I had no idea OP was that big. Comparing it to Harry Potter in America seemed like a good analogy, now all it needs is a theme park.

I think I remember Japan considering this at one point a year or two back. I know they have a memorial for (HUGE GIGANTIC SPOILERS, YOU HAVE NO IDEA DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW)
Ace and Whitebeard

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, One Piece in America isn't even a tenth of the popularity that it has in Japan. And honestly at this point, I don't ever see it becoming more popular here than it is now. Even the American episode count is intimidating at this point. I think when the stronger arcs start kicking into gear, we'll definitely see a boost but the cultural penetration is never going to be where DBZ was in the early 2000s or where Bleach and Naruto have been in the past few years.

I find it very strange that Hunter X Hunter hasn't been licensed. I'm just trying to understand the logic of letting it sit on the shelf for two years now. I know the HxH manga is more popular than the tv series in Japan, but is it really that much of a risk to bring it to America?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Might want to label that as MAJOR SPOILERS THAT WON'T HAPPEN FOR ANOTHER 200-300 EPISODES

Yea, wish I didn't read that =(

Sorry guys :(

If there's any luck you'll forget by the time we get to that in 5 years time.

Yeah, One Piece in America isn't even a tenth of the popularity that it has in Japan. And honestly at this point, I don't ever see it becoming more popular here than it is now. Even the American episode count is intimidating at this point. I think when the stronger arcs start kicking into gear, we'll definitely see a boost but the cultural penetration is never going to be where DBZ was in the early 2000s or where Bleach and Naruto have been in the past few years.

I find it very strange that Hunter X Hunter hasn't been licensed. I'm just trying to understand the logic of letting it sit on the shelf for two years now. I know the HxH manga is more popular than the tv series in Japan, but is it really that much of a risk to bring it to America?

It's got the same problem One Piece does. It looks really kiddy, but in reality is dark and violent as hell. Shit, even more so than One Piece is.

One Piece was never going to penetrate the US in the same way Bleach or Naruto was and that's all just down to the art style.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I won't lie, I got spoiled on it too when I was marathoning the series, didn't take away from the impact of the scene/arc for me though.

Yea that's a hard spoiler to avoid these days, I'm a little shocked people actually didn't hear it before.

Like I said, really sorry guys. Like so sorry.

BatDan

Yeah, One Piece is neck-deep in "late arrival spoilers". Hell, Toei doesn't give a crap considering they spoiled Robin joining the crew 15 episodes before she did. The current opening on Toonami actually spoils a couple big events, and that's why I'm kind of glad it's cut down.

Sorry guys :(

If there's any luck you'll forget by the time we get to that in 5 years time.

It's got the same problem One Piece does. It looks really kiddy, but in reality is dark and violent as hell. Shit, even more so than One Piece is.

One Piece was never going to penetrate the US in the same way Bleach or Naruto was and that's all just down to the art style.
Why do you think the art style is a turn off? I never really thought about that as a problem. Is it just the "kiddy" look? I never even thought of OP in that way.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, One Piece is neck-deep in "late arrival spoilers". Hell, Toei doesn't give a crap considering they spoiled Robin joining the crew 15 episodes before she did. The current opening on Toonami actually spoils a couple big events, and that's why I'm kind of glad it's cut down.

Oh yeah, you're right. I usually don't pay attention to the openings on Toonami but they did cut out some major spoilers. The last 30 or so seconds of the 4th One Piece opening is just full of fights and characters that are WAY off.

Bleach almost always did a good job of avoiding that. The openings were usually just random music videos, with some snippets of character stuff. But One Piece straight up flashes into the future a bit and shows you stuff. Probably a tease for Japanese manga readers, I'd imagine. Even the first One Piece opening did it, just on a smaller scale. It had like 2 second quick cuts of future villains.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why do you think the art style is a turn off? I never really thought about that as a problem.

Well I've seen it a lot, even on this forum, people saying "nah, I'm not going to read it since it looks kiddy" and things of that nature. They then try it, get past Arlong and are hooked. What 4Kids did was a huge part of why it's not successful, but it's also got to get people past art style. People don't say grim and gritty sells just because. If success was down to quality of content then Twilight would have been a failure and W101 would be a resounding success.

Oh and by the way Andrex (wherever you are), I watched the first episode of OHC and came very close to turning off the TV multiple times. Please tell me it gets better.

Well I've seen it a lot, even on this forum, people saying "nah, I'm not going to read it since it looks kiddy" and things of that nature. They then try it, get past Arlong and are hooked. What 4Kids did was a huge part of why it's not successful, but it's also got to get people past art style. People don't say grim and gritty sells just because. If success was down to quality of content then Twilight would have been a failure and W101 would be a resounding success.
Well when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense. I remember being SO excited for One Piece to air on the foxbox back in 2003, I still have a VHS recording of the premiere somewhere around my parents house. I might upload that to YouTube for the sake of nostalgia if I can find it...

Back on topic, yeah, 4kids absolutely butchered the dub. Remember Sanji's stupid voice and lollipop? The renaming of Zoro to Zolo? The terrible rap intro? They almost single handedly ruined One Piece for me.

Grizzlyjin

Why do you think the art style is a turn off? I never really thought about that as a problem.

It looks childish to the average American viewer at first glance. Something like Bleach or Naruto looks like a show for teenagers. I think one of the reasons DragonBall never took off in America was for the same reason, it just doesn't look "cool."
Also the US got more exposure to DBZ first, it's hard to go backwards to less epic fights.

Obviously once you start watching One Piece or Hunter X Hunter the designs grow on you, and you throw that initial impression out the window, but I remember initially being apprehensive about both shows because of their art style.

It looks childish to the average American viewer at first glance. Something like Bleach or Naruto looks like a show for teenagers. I think one of the reasons DragonBall never took off in America was for the same reason, it just doesn't look "cool."
Also the US got more exposure to DBZ first, it's hard to go backwards to less epic fights.

Obviously once you start watching One Piece or Hunter X Hunter the designs grow on you, and you throw that initial impression out the window, but I remember initially being apprehensive about both shows because of their art style.
You make some good points, sometimes I forget that these shows are aimed at kids and at that age they're concerned about what looks "cool" more so than the quality of the content.

It's a shame DB didn't get more love. I tried to get my friends into it but I guess there wasn't enough blond spiky hair and screaming for them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You make some good points, sometimes I forget that these shows are aimed at kids and at that age they're concerned about what looks "cool" more so than the quality of the content.

It's a shame DB didn't get more love. I tried to get my friends into it but I guess there wasn't enough blond spiky hair and screaming for them.

Yep, Pokemon has the exact same problem.

spZCMZg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom