• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Just some of the crazy shit that awaits you in Durarara.

That is a small dose of the crazy compared to some of the bigger revelations in the series. Sadly posting anything in the later half is so filled with spoilers it would ruin the series for newcomers.

Also, I finished The Future Diary. Eh, it was ok.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece is the obvious choice for the 12 am slot as it will literally run fresh episodes for the next ten years or so.

Yeah, if One Piece takes off during the CP9 Saga, which you would expect it to do considering even its bullshit filler is pulling a million viewers, it's probably the logical choice to take over midnight once Bleach ends. Assuming Bleach doesn't just stay there and repeat from episode 1, of course.

One Piece will be right at
Robin's backstory
when Bleach ends, too, which means that's EXACTLY where the show takes 5 episodes to recap all the Straw Hats' backstories, making it a perfect primer for a move to midnight (those episodes also coincided with a timeslot change in Japan).

Yeah, if One Piece takes off during the CP9 Saga, which you would expect it to do considering even its bullshit filler is pulling a million viewers, it's probably the logical choice to take over midnight once Bleach ends. Assuming Bleach doesn't just stay there and repeat from episode 1, of course.

Robin's backstory
when Bleach ends, too, which means that's EXACTLY where the show takes 5 episodes to recap all the Straw Hats' backstories, making it a perfect primer for a move to midnight (those episodes also coincided with a timeslot change in Japan).

I think One Piece has a pretty good shot at opening the block for the simple reason that it's new episodes in HD. Opening the block with SD reruns of Bleach or Naruto doesn't strike me as the greatest draw for potential new viewers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Okay, I'm going to have to check out Durarara right now

EWmof.gif

Robin's backstory

All makes sense to me, you could literally keep one piece there for the next 15 years

Robin's backstory

Don't you put that evil on us, Meta.

I'd be really surprised if they put a rerun at the top of the block, the intention has clearly been to front load with premiers to help develop the block even if there definition of a premier can sometimes be a bit stretched AKA Naruto uncut

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Robin's backstory

Don't you joke about that shit, don't you do it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sad news: voice actor Jerry Russell passed away. He was 77.

His roles on Toonami-featured shows include Ohji on Casshern Sins and Crocus on One Piece. He was one of the go-to actors for old men.

Seda

His roles on Toonami-featured shows include Ohji on Casshern Sins and Crocus on One Piece. He was one of the go-to actors for old men.

Also Dr. Marcoh in FMA:B.

I actually said something in this thread not too long ago that I thought he did a great job in those roles.

:(

Did crocus ever appear on toonami? Wasn't that arc skipped cause lol 4 kids?

BatDan

No he was never actually on Toonami. I just brought him up because One Piece in general.
And yeah, the arc was skipped by 4Kids. No idea why. Either animal abuse (Luffy stabs Laboon with the mast) or the theory that they skipped arcs to get to Chopper faster.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's an interview from a few years ago with someone formerly of 4kids that confirmed two things.

1. They really didn't do their research before picking it up.

2. They did skip ahead to get to Chopper faster in hopes to boost the merch sales.

Raxus

Depends if Toonami started before the grand line or not. I think they just showed Skypia before they ended One Piece.

Seems it ran less than a year so I highly doubt they ever got to even repeat the first episodes let alone the Grand Line.

Man God is right though. They skipped straight to get to the marketable Chopper who appeared in the theme song. Would have been hilarious later in the series but I will sit on that rant for another time.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
60. First 60 (63, actually). Up to 90 would be most of the way through the terribad Bount filler.
Ugh, I remember giving up on Bleach during that part. I couldn't sit through it without feeling like I had to do something to keep me awake while watching. Haven't seen the series since.

Oh wow, Dr. Marcoh from FMA. What a shame. Condolences to his family.

BatDan

There's an interview from a few years ago with someone formerly of 4kids that confirmed two things.

1. They really didn't do their research before picking it up.

2. They did skip ahead to get to Chopper faster in hopes to boost the merch sales.

Wait, that actually happened? Hahahaha oooh wow. All those theories vindicated.

I did hear about how they didn't research One Piece at all, and when they saw how violent it got they went overboard with the editing (changing things that went untouched in other shows). The story I heard is they were picking up completely different shows (I believe more Ultimate Muscle and Ojamajo Doremi) when Toei, who really wanted One Piece on American TV no matter what, bundled One Piece in with it. They agreed to it without viewing a single episode.
Their treatment is what ended up delivering the killing blow. Toei refused to work with them again and smeared their name all over Japan.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't remember the bundling but it was a property hotly bid on and it was licensed more or less at the height of the licensing bubble so I really doubt it was just thrown in.

It was projected to be the next DBZ.

Raxus

Ugh. All this talk brought me back to the American edits of anime wiki entry. It is amazing how much they took out and white washed back in the day. Miyazaki himself had to raise hell in order to get his movies dubbed and animated properly.

The most amusing thing I found about the article is that 4kids showed a heavily edited Shaman King and still got complaints but when Toonami did month of Miyazaki they got no complaints for showing Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Tenumi

Banned
Ugh. All this talk brought me back to the American edits of anime wiki entry. It is amazing how much they took out and white washed back in the day. Miyazaki himself had to raise hell in order to get his movies dubbed and animated properly.

The most amusing thing I found about the article is that 4kids showed a heavily edited Shaman King and still got complaints but when Toonami did month of Miyazaki they got no complaints for showing Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

I'm so glad that we've moved past that era of Anime, although it seems like some people believe that we're eternally stuck in it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

One of the biggest issues for 4kids in general was that they marketed and dubbed all of their shows for the still important Saturday morning cartoon blocks which nominally went from 6-12 while any successful dub of most of their later shows was 13-14+. While Pokémon and even Yu-Gi-Oh were easy to edit to fit those standards none of their later shows could come even close.

I'm so glad that we've moved past that era of Anime, although it seems like some people believe that we're eternally stuck in it.
It's too bad things didn't get better faster. One Piece in NA got royally screwed and who knows what other stuff companies like 4Kids did to anime.

Jintor

No cuts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Durarara!! Episode 15: "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

The Saika arc hits full swing. Time for you to shine, Anri Sonohara!

tumblr_lp7ngdR8KV1qbq4v6o1_500.gif

And as Kida would say,

tumblr_m39aakHoFM1qea60lo3_500.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
36 THE BOONDOCKS Sat 11:30PM-12:00AM 30 1.0 1519

That's what I was saying about Eva's numbers. I would have guessed, based on coming in over a million, that it probably opened in the first slot around 1.3-1.4 million or so. Boondocks being that high suggests the same.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I never really understood the criticism of Durarara's second half. I mean, yeah, Celty is a better and more interesting character overall than any of the three main kids are (only Kida really comes close there), but the story itself is pretty intense, and more Izaya is always amazing. Dude's truly a master class troll.

Raxus

I never really understood the criticism of Durarara's second half. I mean, yeah, Celty is a better and more interesting character overall than any of the three main kids are (only Kida really comes close there), but the story itself is pretty intense, and more Izaya is always amazing. Dude's truly a master class troll.

The problem is the kids are broken apart into 3 main story arcs so as soon as their arc ends they are put on the back burner. The players like Celty and Izaya have more presence because they are more of a constant in all three story lines. Kida receives the most development out of the bunch and even then most of the interesting stuff would have been after the point the series ended (Baccano! did this as well). That being said I loved the twists but those series always leave me wanting more and never getting a follow up. Hell Baccano! winds up in Alcatraz at one point. WHY CAN'T I SEE THAT TOO!

OK rant over.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

For me it just got better and better as it went on. Saika arc is when I finally said, "damn, this series is awesome." I guess I've never seen Celty as more than something of a gimmick. They never really do anything interesting with her.

1st episode of Durarara is kind of slow but I won't hold it against the series, I'm sure it will pick up as I go on.

First 3-4 eps are slow-ish, I remember being pretty bored during the Celty backstory ep. It picks up at around episode 6-7 with the "legendary Kazutano incident" and Shizuo's backstory ep.

Kainazzo

I'm completely ignorant of One Piece, but have they really spent the whole time just looking for the Grand Line? A friend of mine said they found it and then their ship was thrown back or something. I haven't really seen it since the last time it aired on Toonami years back.

As crazy as the show is, why isn't there an interstellar pirate fleet or something that just orbits to it? Then Luffy has to go to space...

Raxus

First 3-4 eps are slow-ish, I remember being pretty bored during the Celty backstory ep. It picks up at around episode 6-7 with the "legendary Kazutano incident" and Shizuo's backstory ep.

Agreed. First few episodes do a lot of build up and meeting the massive cast.
PS- Complication >>> Uragiri No Yuuyake
SQ1KATx.gif

I can deal with it. Trust me trumps them all anyway.

I'm completely ignorant of One Piece, but have they really spent the whole time just looking for the Grand Line? A friend of mine said they found it and then their ship was thrown back or something. I haven't really seen it since the last time it aired on Toonami years back.

As crazy as the show is, why isn't there an interstellar pirate fleet or something that just orbits to it? Then Luffy has to go to space...
They got to the Grand Line after the Arlong Saga. The whole Laboon Saga is their entrance into the GL.

As far as space goes. I doubt things will get THAT crazy but Enel could come back from the moon so who knows.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They've been on the Grand Line since episode 100 (or whatever it was)...

BatDan

I'm completely ignorant of One Piece, but have they really spent the whole time still just looking for the Grand Line? A friend of mine said they found it and then their ship was thrown back or something.

Your friend was completely wrong. They get to the Grand Line in Chapter 100 (or Episode 61).

They entered the grand line episode 60ish, the series is now episode 610ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom