• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Hell in the Hunter X Hunter thread someone just posted a major spoiler for the arc currently running.

Shame we can keep separate spoiler free threads like AoT.

Hell in the Hunter X Hunter thread someone just posted a major spoiler for the arc currently running.

Shame we can keep separate spoiler free threads like AoT.

Well we have the manga mega thread where people are always willing to discuss HxH and AoT and we have an open spoiler policy. People going into the anime ots and spoiling shit is freaking low

TheChits

ibmQxb7THo22f3.gif

Man I miss this show and the bleeps :(

If I remember correctly a lot of toonami gaf didn't care for DW that much. I thought it was good but nothing special. The second episode where the prisoners run that death race for candy always seems to stick out in my mind, that was awesome.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I rather enjoyed DW, even if the final episode just....STOPPED instead of an actual conclusion (granted, I can't fault them when the manga was still going, but still). As an anime to go with the return of Toonami, it seemed like a good fit. Probably should see where the manga picked up where the anime ended one of these days.

.....plus it became fun to count all the bleeps. Oh, & Minatsuki/Hummingbird's episode was good as well for how insane she was.

GPX, we all hated GPX.

Oh god the GXP hate was legendary. Wasn't Samurai 7 generally disliked too? I thought it was terribly boring. SAO will probably end up being the most hated show to air on toonami though, it's the most entertaining 30 minutes of my week due to the comments.

I personally love the show. Maybe you were thinking of the people over the Anime OT. They hated it.

That sounds about right, those guys can be pretty picky sometimes.

I rather enjoyed DW, even if the final episode just....STOPPED instead of an actual conclusion (granted, I can't fault them when the manga was still going, but still). As an anime to go with the return of Toonami, it seemed like a good fit. Probably should see where the manga picked up where the anime ended one of these days.

.....plus it became fun to count all the bleeps. Oh, & Minatsuki/Hummingbird's episode was good as well for how insane she was.

I literally just laughed out loud remembering the bleeps. Good times.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Samurai 7 felt like a letdown. I remember thinking "HOLY CRAP, ROBOT SAMURAI, HE IS GONNA BE AWESOME" & then he either barely did anything or didn't do as well as the others. Plus it felt like it took longer than expected to just get all of them together (took them, what, almost 1/2 the series?). Most of it was rather "meh".

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

The manga ended a couple months ago so it's complete now.

To be fair, it stopped not because it was overtaking the manga, but the ratings were absolutely horrid. I get the feeling the show premiering at the same time as the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami didn't help, and the series catalyst is a massive earthquake. It was changed in the anime but... that didn't really help.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

To be fair, it stopped not because it was overtaking the manga, but the ratings were absolutely horrid. I get the feeling the show premiering at the same time as the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami didn't help, and the series catalyst is a massive earthquake. It was changed in the anime but... that didn't really help.
Yeah, it sucks when an anime just stopped & you have to read the manga to "finish" the story (I had to do that with Narutaru/Shadow Star, though that was made worse by the fact they never licensed the rest of the manga!). Though considering the ratings & the bad timing, that makes a lot more sense why the anime never got a second season. But seeing as the manga's only 13 volumes long & licensed, perhaps I'll check it out. Know what volume would be a good place to start off where the anime left off?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Samurai 7 felt like a letdown. I remember thinking "HOLY CRAP, ROBOT SAMURAI, HE IS GONNA BE AWESOME" & then he either barely did anything or didn't do as well as the others. Plus it felt like it took longer than expected to just get all of them together (took them, what, almost 1/2 the series?). Most of it was rather "meh".

Pretty much. The source material is godly, the other adaptation (The Magnificent 7) turned out amazing so everyone had hype for this to be an awesome take on the property. When it wasn't we raged.

I will admit though I will miss all the "I SOLD MY WIFE" posts. Those were always good for a laugh.

Yeah, it sucks when an anime just stopped & you have to read the manga to "finish" the story (I had to do that with Narutaru/Shadow Star, though that was made worse by the fact they never licensed the rest of the manga!). Though considering the ratings & the bad timing, that makes a lot more sense why the anime never got a second season. But seeing as the manga's only 13 volumes long & licensed, perhaps I'll check it out. Know what volume would be a good place to start off where the anime left off?

Start the manga at the beginning. The anime didn't include everything.

Poor DMWL. Nobody but Toonami-GAF liked it.

I think most people in AnimeGAF dropped it after the first episode and the unbelievably stupid courtroom scene. Or at least I did.

You dropped the series because of the courtroom scene? What? Even if it wasn't obviously him getting set up as part of a conspiracy how does one prove their innocence when they're argument is "a guy in a red cloak/mask was flying outside the window and shot a weird red substance at everyone"

I personally love the show. Maybe you were thinking of the people over the Anime OT. They hated it.
What's the difference from here?
You dropped the series because of the courtroom scene? What? Even if it wasn't obviously him getting set up as part of a conspiracy how does one prove their innocence when they're argument is "a guy in a red cloak/mask was flying outside the window and shot a weird red substance at everyone"
It didn't live up to the high moe standards that Branduil enjoys.

Branduil

I don't really want to rehash old arguments but it was just that it really didn't make any sense at all or maintain any semblance of believability. It was pretty much the "Homer Simpson sexual harassment case" played straight.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You guys want a return of bleeps to Toonami, pull for Michiko & Hatchin. Plenty of cussin' in the 3 episodes I've watched so far.

I've been pulling for Michiko to get on TV for YEARS. I don't have the slightest clue why it 1) took so damn long to license and 2) hasn't been on TV here yet.

I don't really want to rehash old arguments but it was just that it really didn't make any sense at all or maintain any semblance of believability. It was pretty much the "Homer Simpson sexual harassment case" played straight.

It made less sense then a prison theme park or a floating guy who can shoot blood as a weapon?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm actually kind of sad that I missed out on Casshern and DMWL but I was too damn busy as Saturday Night at the time was my go to social night and what little I saw of Deadman didn't inspire me to DVR it.

Glad as fuck that I missed Samurai Seven and most of GXP and Thundercats though. I was gifted E7 a few years back, saw most of Naruto and Bleach when they aired in Japan (and saw the entire dub run on CN for Naruto) Have seen every dub episode of One Piece and most of the subbed episodes (I let a backlog build up every two to three months to run them off, I read the manga weekly on the US jump site) and I think I actually do own all of Inuyasha. I have multiple versions of Bebop including every official US release and about a dozen different versions of it, official and not (why the fuck anyone would fansub Bebop after its official release, I have no idea.)

I'm going to catch up one day with Soul Eater and FMA:B. One day. One day...

Clone Wars was an off again on again thing. Characters look terrible in close shots but the animation on the action scenes can be quite nice, most of the voice work is great, and it's got a great script most of the time. I might DVR it.

Fake edit: Almost forgot I own multiple versions of Big O! Showtime!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What's this Kor-a nonsense? Is that more of that Gaijin crap that infests this great home of nippon, the Toonami-sama thread? It belongs in the scrap heap of history along with Thundercats, Symbionic Titan, and this Clone Wars abomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom