• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why was there even so much filler in between the Davy Back Fight and Water 7?

Because, when Toei was working on this week's episode 9 years ago, there was only a 36 chapter difference between the anime and the manga. And that was after these last two months of filler and half filler episodes. After Skypeia, the anime was getting dangerous close to the manga, so they made filler to give the manga more time.

And once the next arc starts, there's no good place to add filler at all. A fact that Toei ends up learning the hard way as the anime once again gets really really close to the manga. It's the primary reason why the pacing slows by the middle of this saga and why we get some recap episodes during the middle of it all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Koga is a bro; I love his interactions with Inuyasha. He's clearly not in his league even with a pile of Jewel shards yet his absolute confidence never falters.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Because, when Toei was working on this week's episode 9 years ago, there was only a 36 chapter difference between the anime and the manga. And that was after these last two months of filler and half filler episodes. After Skypeia, the anime was getting dangerous close to the manga, so they made filler to give the manga more time.

And once the next arc starts, there's no good place to add filler at all. A fact that Toei ends up learning the hard way as the anime once again gets really really close to the manga. It's the primary reason why the pacing slows by the middle of this saga and why we get some recap episodes during the middle of it all.

I'd also like to add for the record that currently, the anime is only 34 chapters behind the manga right now.
Hence, why the pacing goes down to 1:1 after Enies Lobby.
I would not be surprised if the next arc is filler.

I'd also like to add for the record that currently, the anime is only 34 chapters behind the manga right now.
Hence, why the pacing goes down to 1:1 after Enies Lobby.
I would not be surprised if the next arc is filler.

I thought that long filler arcs = ratings suicide hence the 1:1 pacing for One Piece

If seasons were a common thing in anime like they are in American cartoons, filler wouldn't be a problem. It'd allow the mangaka to get far ahead of the anime and the ratings wouldn't tank because of the filler.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

This really also effected my enjoyment of this arc and is part of the reason I think its overrated. I already give one piece shit because I think the arcs go on for waaaayyyy too long(bad pacing) and this was the worse yet that I skipped several episodes, including one of
Robin's past
cause I just wanted them to get to the climax already.

Crocodile

Seriously he's a huge hypocrite

It's okay for his wolves led by a jewel shard user to eat humans, but it's no okay for the birds to eat his wolves because they're led by a jewel shard user.

Where's the hypocrisy? He cares for his "family" and gives no shits about anybody else. How is that different than the rational for like any dispute in human history? How is that different from any predator/prey dynamic in nature? Classic "us vs. them" mentality. Not that it makes him a good or ok guy, just I don't see the hypocrisy.

This this this this this.

Also, does someone at the Onion watch anime/Toonami?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/what-a-government-shutdown-means-for-you,34052/

Awesome!

If seasons were a common thing in anime like they are in American cartoons, filler wouldn't be a problem. It'd allow the mangaka to get far ahead of the anime and the ratings wouldn't tank because of the filler.

Worst pat of Japanese TV system as far as I can see. So many shows would be bumped up to decent/actively good if their pacing was improved.

Also, welcome back :)

This really also effected my enjoyment of this arc and is part of the reason I think its overrated. I already give one piece shit because I think the arcs go on for waaaayyyy too long(bad pacing) and this was the worse yet that I skipped several episodes, including one of
Robin's past

Story is too good to be hurt by dragged out pacing

Cwarrior

You also have to take into account the episode are made around 6 months in advance, that means a 34 chapter lead really mean as close to more like 10 chapters lead.

Other interesting trivia,on average a one piece episode takes 2 months to make, by each respective team.

Robin's past

88.gif

789shadow

Banned
Robin's past
ixjujKW33mE1C.gif

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sorry guys. That post is inaccurate. Here's the correct statement.

I refuse to watch/read One Piece because of its artstyle.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SAO has interesting and visually appealing backgrounds, character outfits that are sorta cool despite being sorta generic, and some neat game ideas despite it being a terrible show. At least I can pass the barrier of entry cuz of its visuals. One Piece has character models that are pure ass, heads that look like disheveled facial features plastered on some spherical object, and an oceanic/pirate theme that doesn't interest me. One Piece's visuals makes it hard for me to even try despite the praised story it has.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
so like why don't oda and togashi and all other manga artists just become anime writers and then we never have to worry about filler ever again and can enjoy the series in the superior art form

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I kinda also meant the filler they added to the Davy Back Fight itself.

Which is still really very little filler by shounen standards.

Just think about it this way: the Bleach filler arc that starts on Saturday is 26 episodes long (and that's not even counting the last several weeks of filler).

By comparison, we have only seen 19 episodes of One Piece, canon and filler combined, on Toonami so far this year. And after next week, the next episode that could even be vaguely classified as "filler" doesn't appear for 53 episodes.

so like why don't oda and togashi and all other manga artists just become anime writers and then we never have to worry about filler ever again and can enjoy the series in the superior art form

I can't comment for the others, but for Oda he writes and draws almost everything for One Piece himself without assistance like most weekly mangaka. He works 20 hours a day on OP and it's truly a labor of love for him, he's worked so hard on the series he's ended up in the hospital before.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Toonami was fucked before Naruto even went on it. Trying to go younger and knocking it off weekdays is what got the ball rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom