• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good to me. I would really like Tiger Bunny on the block too if Toonami doesn't pick it up soon. I assume it is a shoe in for Toonami along with AoT but the block is so full of long running shows I have little hope they will ever squeeze it in.

I think we should try to keep it to shows we're pretty certain will never be on the block, whether that's due to their age or their genre or their licensing issues or just the content. I probably wouldn't have chosen Darker Than Black, honestly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think we should try to keep it to shows we're pretty certain will never be on the block, whether that's due to their age or their genre or their licensing issues or just the content.
I think you've got a point. I don't mind one show falling under the "this could totally fit Toonami" idea, but it'd be nice to expand our selections. Just go with shows that're enjoyable and would be fun to discuss with others while watching it. Plus it kind of takes away from the "oh cool, this is gonna be on Toonami, can't wait to see what other people think" factor when we already saw it as a group.

Don't get me wrong, I like the selection we're watching now, just an idea for the future once we finish up one of the shows.

We have a ton of users who watch toonami weekly through the premiers and don't want the pre-show block so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Being someone who's already seen SAO hasn't impacted my "enjoyment" of it being on Toonami

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I saw the film with a group of friends last year and we really enjoyed it. I do agree it's much better than the last film.

& agree on a community watch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm still watching Brotherhood for the first time via toonami, is this going to spoil anything for me?
I'm pretty sure it won't. I recall there's barely any references made to Brotherhood or the original series, since it focuses on a set of characters that appear only in the movie and the plot is separate from the anime/manga. It's a stand-alone film, unlike the previous one which pretty much picks up RIGHT after the original anime's final episode.

I'm pretty sure it won't. I recall there's barely any references made to Brotherhood or the original series, since it focuses on a set of characters that appear only in the movie and the plot is separate from the anime/manga. It's a stand-alone film, unlike the previous one which pretty much picks up RIGHT after the original anime's final episode.

Nah, it's a standalone story, and I don't recall it referencing anything in late Brotherhood episodes.

I'm down for a FMA movie watch.

We should totally do a community watch of that. It's perfect.

Nice, I'd be down for a community watch. Apparently the movie becomes available at noon CT and will be on the website through the weekend

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Soul Eater is no longer on Netflix, crushing my hopes and dreams to ever catch up.

Did watch about 20 episodes of FMA:B though so I'm definitely getting there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No dub, no sale. Gonna see if my library has it and if not its time to buy some DVDs.

EDIT: Hulu, my old nemesis. I do have to watch a bunch of One Piece anyways.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The most annoying thing about Hulu is that I was going to catch up this weekend/next week while I'm away from my PC. Got about twenty devices there that can watch Netflix, sure, but none that can do free Hulu and none that do Hulu Plus well at all, because Hulu Plus sucks ass.

That being said I can probably still catch up in two weeks as I have plenty of free time after my work trip.

What's the point of paying for Hulu Plus when you still get bombarded with adds? Nothing I've ever wanted to watch on Hulu required Plus and my one friend who paid for it had access to all the same shows I had watched on there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Exactly.

The point of plus is...to watch some of the content still with ads on your not pc.

It gives you less and charges for it.

I've never seen anything interesting on the only for Plus side of things.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kill la Kill for ̶s̶m̶a̶s̶h̶ toonami.
Reading the impressions from the thread & hearing good first impressions. Hopefully will catch it tonight.

& yeah, tried Hulu Plus for a month for free and I HATED that I couldn't choose the quality and it had to stream instead of just load all of it at once. Plus the ads suck as well. Breaks the flow of the show.

I just watched the first episode of kill la kill and while I enjoyed it, I do have some problems with the show. I know we're only one episode in but if this didn't have a cool artstyle and soundtrack would people in here still praise it? It does some things just as poorly as SAO.

mhs004

I just watched the first episode of kill la kill and while I enjoyed it, I do have some problems with the show. I know we're only one episode in but if this didn't have a cool artstyle and soundtrack would people in here still praise it? It does some things just as poorly as SAO.

Dude the art style, soundtrack, and stupidity is the whole point of the show have you not seen Gurren Lagann?

It would be saying the same thing as, if you took the whole pirate thing out of one piece......would it still be good?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Kill La Kill is a show that obviously doesnt take itself as seriously as SAO
probably even less so then gurren lagann.
"have you seen gurren lagann?"

It's all in execution, Kill La Kill moves at a break neck speed, but it's zany off the wall art compliments this. The biggest concern I had going in was the main characters battle outfit which the show thankfully played it in such a way that I ended up cuming around to it. KLK also isn't held back by a manga/LN so the creators are free to move the story in any way they see fit. The creative teams last work Gurren Lagann also had (from what I've seen of it) crazy fast pacing and a zany style that complimented each other.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's all in execution, Kill La Kill moves at a break neck speed, but it's zany off the wall art compliments this. The biggest concern I had going in was the main characters battle outfit which the show thankfully played it in such a way that I ended up cuming around to it. KLK also isn't held back by a manga/LN so the creators are free to move the story in any way they see fit. The creative teams last work Gurren Lagann also had (from what I've seen of it) crazy fast pacing and a zany style that complimented each other.
I see.

789shadow

Banned
The battle suit fucking sucks. Fuck it so hard. Everything else was fantastic but fuck that battle suit. JAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Moaradin

Glad to see the positive reactions to KLK so far. I loved Gurren Lagann, so this was probably my most anticipated anime of the year.

Order

Soul Eater is no longer on Netflix, crushing my hopes and dreams to ever catch up.

Did watch about 20 episodes of FMA:B though so I'm definitely getting there.
Obviously they're just making room for the Soul Eater remake right? Right guys?

santeesioux

Exactly.

The point of plus is...to watch some of the content still with ads on your not pc.

It gives you less and charges for it.

I've never seen anything interesting on the only for Plus side of things.

I've never understood why they don't get rid of ads when you pay for it, makes no sense. It's a shame too because they have a lot of anime on there.

Dude the art style, soundtrack, and stupidity is the whole point of the show have you not seen Gurren Lagann?

It would be saying the same thing as, if you took the whole pirate thing out of one piece......would it still be good?
I've never seen GL and I thought the whole point of the show was to tell a good story, not focus purely on aesthetics.

And the One Piece analogy is a poor one in my opinion.

I've never seen GL and I thought the whole point of the show was to tell a good story, not focus purely on aesthetics.

I think a better example would be watching something like Pineapple Express or Harold and Kumar go to White Castle and complaining because all the humor was stoner jokes. It's kind of the point of those films to be stoner comedy, kill la kill and gurren lagann are meant to be incredibly high speed hot blooded action.

mhs004

It is but my mind was kind of boggled at that statement it stopped working. You were asking if you took two VERY BIG aspects of a show away would it still be good. The answer would be hell no it would not, taking a very distinctive art style away that fits the story the best then it would not be near as good but why would you do that? It is about a story but a show needs more than a story it needs good art that fits it and music that fits the mood perfect. If you took a good art style and music away from any show no matter how good the story is it would be good at best but not amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom