• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Echoing the statement that Baccano is pretty good, though yeah, the constant jumps between stories/time periods can be a bit confusing at times.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
IGPX is old, and kinda cheap looking. They really didn't have the budget to pull off some of the CG back in the day, let alone have it stand up to modern criticism. And it's a pretty unknown property. I think a lot of people see that as a good point to just peace out and flip channels...I know that's what I do.

I know people have been saying that the dropoff is consistent with past ratings, but I have a hard time believing that isn't a programming related problem. Like what was in the IGPX timeslot before? Wasn't it Tenchi or something especially crappy? Thundercats? Shedding 255,000 just seems really sudden. Like why not have it happen at 3am and not 2:30? Like that isn't consistent at all with the rest of the drops that happen throughout the night, I honestly think people just don't really care for IGPX.

Naruto over Bleach? Might be the filler stuff. Naruto is going to be in nothing but canon material for awhile, I bet once the filler arc starts things will look normal again. Just the side stuff with no continuity between episodes is hard to swallow, unpopular characters being the star of an episode, just a bad mixture.

As for Baccano!, I heard good things. First episode was confusing, I don't think I gave it another shot. I got like two weeks off before my new job starts, I'll probably try to marathon a few shows. It's at the top of the list if the hype is warranted.

I'd wager there was a drop from previous weeks because many schools and colleges were back for fall semester starting this week.

As for the drop for IGPX, it's simply because for the reason you gave Grizzlyjin - it's 2:30 on a Saturday night, there's nothing from that point that's "new" - time to call it a night.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As for Baccano!, I heard good things. First episode was confusing, I don't think I gave it another shot. I got like two weeks off before my new job starts, I'll probably try to marathon a few shows. It's at the top of the list if the hype is warranted.

Baccano is definitely worth a marathon. You have to understand it's not told in a traditional narrative structure, it's structure is closer to something like Catch-22. It's one of the best anime of the last decade, it probably deserves the top spot.

Alrighty, thanks for some input guys! :D

Yeah, sticking with the dub on the Funi site for now cause...................yo, those accents. It's like one of those animes that once it's dubbed ( by Funimation ), you could never tell it's from Japan.

The designs do remind me of DRRR indeed!

Raxus

Baccano is definitely worth a marathon. You have to understand it's not told in a traditional narrative structure, it's structure is closer to something like Catch-22. It's one of the best anime of the last decade, it probably deserves the top spot.

It's one of the few anime I watched twice and wouldn't mind watching a third time.

Others being Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in The Shell (both seasons), FLCL

Right now I am watching The Future Diary.

WTF am I looking at 0.0

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's one of the few anime I watched twice and wouldn't mind watching a third time.

Others being Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in The Shell (both seasons)

WTF am I looking at 0.0

Mirai Nikki lost me the second they tried making the terrorist chick an anti-hero.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That's why I said most not all, some people are just crazed psychopaths who just want to watch the world burn

Yea, they tried making one of those into a sympathetic figure and I stopped watching the show because of it, also her detective love interest sucked so many dicks, suck all of the dicks.

pirata

What a coincidence. I was just showing my friend the first episode of Baccano a few hours ago. The first episode just gives little glimpses of the many characters whose perspectives make up the narrative, while the subsequent episodes fill everything out and start linking all of the characters together. It's great, and it would be a good fit for Toonami and a nice breather from all the shounen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
i would be shocked if Baccano was anything but a ratings flop if it came on Toonami

I'm usually pretty forgiving, I value intelligent writing in a show above all else. But that first episode, it was just confusing to me. I can see that it's the type of show that has lots of plot threads and gives you a little sampling of each one off the jump. It's hard to swallow, so yeah...I don't see it being a runaway hit on Toonami.

I do want to give it a chance. The style reminded me of Chiko: Daughter of Twenty Faces, which I loved. Probably not the same tonally, but I got the same vibe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm usually pretty forgiving, I value intelligent writing in a show above all else. But that first episode, it was just confusing to me. I can see that it's the type of show that has lots of plot threads and gives you a little sampling of each one off the jump. It's hard to swallow, so yeah...I don't see it being a runaway hit on Toonami.

I do want to give it a chance. The style reminded me of Chiko: Daughter of Twenty Faces, which I loved. Probably not the same tonally, but I got the same vibe.

It's like a jigsaw puzzle. All the pieces are there, they're just out of chronological order. Each episode makes perfect sense thematically though. Like I said, if you've ever read Catch-22 or any other book that uses that form then you know exactly what to expect.

Seda

I actually missed "You are not Alone...anyone got a steaming or download link?

We can't openly link you to illegal streaming or download sites on NeoGAF.

Which brings up the point, I know some people have shown interest in

a) starting an additional 'ToonamiGAF' watch for a non-Toonami show, like YYH.

or

b) setting up a rewatch of Eva 1.11.

As aforementioned, we can't openly have somebody streaming it. I'm not sure there is an easy solution to this. Either we can all assume we have access to Netflix as we sync our watches, or perhaps it's best to set up an IRC / Twitch channel or something separate from this thread. Dunno.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
We can't openly link you to illegal streaming or download sites on NeoGAF.

Which brings up the point, I know some people have shown interest in

a) starting an additional 'ToonamiGAF' watch for a non-Toonami show, like YYH.

or

b) setting up a rewatch of Eva 1.11.

As aforementioned, we can't openly have somebody streaming it. I'm not sure there is an easy solution to this. Either we can all assume we have access to Netflix as we sync our watches, or perhaps it's best to set up an IRC / Twitch channel or something separate from this thread. Dunno.

Passworded twitch channel. But it requires someone to have good enough internet to stream and people who have good enough internet to watch the stream in 720.

Grizzlyjin

Hulu actually has a pretty extensive anime selection, even without Hulu Plus. It dwarfs Netflix.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Netflix's anime selection was on a huge downturn last quarter of 2012-second quarter of 2013 but they've seemingly picked up the pace again adding a decent chunk of Fairy Tail, all of Brotherhood, Squid Girl, and a bunch of other worth while shows. It still isn't back up to where it was but it has some decent options...most of which are on Hulu.

Hulu then has a bunch more after that, plus a bunch of ads.

Seda

If there's a show available for free on Youtube/Hulu it should be no problem if someone had the capability to stream it via Twitch or something if it was something people wanted to watch.

Although I'm not sure how much interest there is in this, just that it was mentioned once or twice before (plus a few comments on a 1.11 rewatch) and I figured I should say something. I think could be neat with enough participation though.

I own Eva 1.11 on DVD, I doubt I have fast enough Internet to stream it in any viewable fashion on a twitch channel though

Would that be illegal if it was a private stream with no ad revenue? I wouldn't think so as it'd be no different then everyone watching it at my place if it was at all possible for everyone to fly to Connecticut lol

Edit: Just checked apparently I have faster internet then I expected, 65 mbps download and 11.8 mbps upload. Would that be fast enough to host a stream party? I've been planning to rewatch the first film anyway to prepare myself for Saturdayy.

Jintor

Would that be illegal if it was a private stream with no ad revenue? I wouldn't think so as it'd be no different then everyone watching it at my place if it was at all possible for everyone to fly to Connecticut lol

Public display/performance/showing rights are typically limited by copyright.

Public display/performance/showing rights are typically limited by copyright.

I was under the impression it was illegal to show it in a public form but legal in a private form. I guess would a private twitch stream only available to toonami gaf members be considered a public or private viewing?

kayos90

I was under the impression it was illegal to show it in a public form but legal in a private form. I guess would a private twitch stream only available to toonami gaf members be considered a public or private viewing?

If you got caught it'd be bad but yeah if it's a passworded stream and no one snitches then it's not like anyone can do anything about it.

kayos90

If there's a show available for free on Youtube/Hulu it should be no problem if someone had the capability to stream it via Twitch or something if it was something people wanted to watch.

Although I'm not sure how much interest there is in this, just that it was mentioned once or twice before (plus a few comments on a 1.11 rewatch) and I figured I should say something. I think could be neat with enough participation though.

There's a youtube sync client that animegaf used a while back. We can do that if it's on youtube.

Jintor

The short answer is that it's probably something against GAF policy to discuss here really since, even if you're restricting access to toonamigaf members only, we're still 'the public'. Or maybe not. It's a legal grey area, but not in the 'do what you want' way.

kayos90

The short answer is that it's probably something against GAF policy to discuss here really since, even if you're restricting access to toonamigaf members only, we're still 'the public'. Or maybe not. It's a legal grey area, but not in the 'do what you want' way.

Yeah. This pretty much sums it up.

It's not officially on youtube it's someone else uploading it and funimation not taking action against them. Funimation only has the first 8 minutes on their page

It's like Youtuberepeat in the fact that it just takes the youtube link and generates a link where multiple people can watch together. perfectly legal.

Better to be safe then sorry, I guess in theory someone could pay for the rights to a one time stream for a small group of people though that probably isn't viable.

Yeah. This pretty much sums it up.

It's like Youtuberepeat in the fact that it just takes the youtube link and generates a link where multiple people can watch together. perfectly legal.

That would be interesting and worth trying

Others being Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in The Shell (both seasons), FLCL

WTF am I looking at 0.0

Mirai Nikki lost me the second they tried making the terrorist chick an anti-hero.

Damn, I just uploaded my fixed trailer too.

Well, let us start saying the prayers to my YouTube account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom