• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

action block, guys -_-

giga_drill_breaker_by_gezzalee-d3k8b8n.gif

yami4ct

I think Madoka would catch some people off guard in how serious it gets (it sure did with me). Wonder how often they get requests for that.

It be a really interesting experiment. Would allow them to sort of push the boundaries of the type of shows they get, given the art style. I'm not saying they grab full on moe magical girl stuff, that'd be terrible, but it could open up new territories. It's also really short which makes it a perfect experiment. The key is getting audiences past the first couple episodes, but the right ad campaign could solve that. Just cut together a bunch of the prettier action shots with some nice bump text and I think they could hold onto a sizable audience.

yami4ct

Does Toonami only show action shows?

On his AMA, DeMarco said that a show was required to have some action but didn't necessarily be an action show. You could probably shoehorn most stuff into that description. Heck, you could probably shoehorn Steins;Gate into that and it's pretty far from being an action series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does Toonami only show action shows?
More the most part, that was their aim. I can't think of many non-action shows (maybe Hamtaro & Prince of Tennis, but someone might prove me wrong on that) that aired on Toonami, be it serious or comedy.

On his AMA, DeMarco said that a show was required to have some action but didn't necessarily be an action show. You could probably shoehorn most stuff into that description. Heck, you could probably shoehorn Steins;Gate into that and it's pretty far from being an action series.
Well, there's time traveling action. Does that count?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, I COMPLETELY forgot about Toonami Jetstream. It had a few episodes of Eyeshield 21, but I never had the internet speed to check the site out. It also had Hikaru no Go, which I guess could also fall under a Toonami show not focused on action.

Raxus

SAO has plenty of action...have you seen it yet or is toonami your first run through?

More than GXP.

I mean that one show nobody remembers.

I think as long as it has some big action moments the show can qualify. That's why Madoka Magika would be great since it fits that critera.

If they ever get Megas that would be perfect for the block.

yami4ct

That probably axes shows like Steins;Gate or Kaiji but Fate/Zero and Mirai Nikki would still work well.

Eh, like I said, I think you could probably make most shows that you'd want on the block fit that description. They had GXP, they could put in Steins;Gate. Fate/Zero would absolutely fit, though. I don't adore the show like a lot of animo-gaf people (Saber almost ruined that show for me), but it'd be a good get for the block.

Moaradin

That probably axes shows like Steins;Gate or Kaiji but Fate/Zero and Mirai Nikki would still work well.

Fate/Zero has plenty of action in it. Very good action in fact. It only happens to have very good writing as well.

I would love to see that show on Toonami. Dub is great from what I've heard.

Eh, like I said, I think you could probably make most shows that you'd want on the block fit that description. They had GXP, they could put in Steins;Gate. Fate/Zero would absolutely fit, though. I don't adore the show like a lot of animo-gaf people (Saber almost ruined that show for me), but it'd be a good get for the block.

they also admitted GXP would probably not fit the block without the Tenchi name. and it has more action than Steins;Gate

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That P&S episode linked last page made me into a fan. Wanna go through the series now.

yami4ct

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. They're going to be a lot more cautious going forward.

Second half of SAO still tells me they aren't being that careful. In the end, easy ratings and guaranteed audience will trump overall quality for sure. It's not GXP levels of shit, but it's surprising they let that through.

Seda

Second half of SAO still tells me they aren't being that careful. In the end, easy ratings and guaranteed audience will trump overall quality for sure. It's not GXP levels of shit, but it's surprising they let that through.

They've said a few times that Swort Art Online was 'highly requested' and that is probably quite a significant factor to them.

So I suppose it doesn't hurt to pop in requests in their Tumblr (they said they do read questions and such not just on Q&A days) for shows you want.

They also said SAO was doing better than expected... which is good I guess

Madoka would be interesting, but it would also make this thread unbearable since everyone would just say "OH MAN, JUST WAIT FOR EPISODE 3" to all the people that are like "WHATS THIS MAGICAL GIRL SHIT."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's almost free money, if quality was all that mattered they'd have dumped Bleach and given us something like Baccano.

Crocodile

Madoka would be interesting, but it would also make this thread unbearable since everyone would just say "OH MAN, JUST WAIT FOR EPISODE 3" to all the people that are like "WHATS THIS MAGICAL GIRL SHIT."

Agreed. I only saw the show recently but its impossible to escape "ZOMG Episode 3 ZOMG" if you followed discussions of the show even a little bit. The show does a good enough job foreshadowing things that if you know to expect a twist, you'll figure it out before it happens. Dampened the impact of the episode for me.

yami4ct

It's almost free money, if quality was all that mattered they'd have dumped Bleach and given us something like Baccano.

I certainly don't fault them for airing it. Makes sense. I guess I mean that if you want something and it gets requested enough, whether or not it fits the strict toonami mold matters less.

yami4ct

SAO has a male protagonist and an art style that isn't entirely uguu. Madoka is a magical girl series that looks like Hidamari Sketch, a show with a literal moeblob art style.

It's also one the few shows out there, alone with Fate/Zero, that broke out of the anime fan bubble and became a wider hit than it should of. It has some of the most universal praise of any anime series in the past few years. Couple that with it only being 12 episodes, and it wouldn't be too hard to make an argument for giving it a try.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I certainly don't fault them for airing it. Makes sense. I guess I mean that if you want something and it gets requested enough, whether or not it fits the strict toonami mold matters less.

If that's the case all of you had better help me in constantly requesting Tiger and Bunny.

yami4ct

If that's the case all of you had better help me in constantly requesting Tiger and Bunny.

Dear god T&B is one of the shows tailor made for Toonami. Super funny, good action and some of the best characters I've seen in a while. Right there with you buddy. I'm one of the biggest T&B fans in anime-gaf I'm pretty sure.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dear god T&B is one of the show tailor made for Toonami. Super funny, good action and some of the best characters I've seen in a while. Right there with you buddy. I'm one of the biggest T&B fans in anime-gaf I'm pretty sure.
Not sure why I skipped T&B, but I feel like I should check out that show one of these days when I don't have much else to watch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dear god T&B is one of the show tailor made for Toonami. Super funny, good action and some of the best characters I've seen in a while. Right there with you buddy. I'm one of the biggest T&B fans in anime-gaf I'm pretty sure.

GeQblmR.gif

We gotta get on that shit bro. We deserve something that good after putting up with SAO.

Shit, give us Ippo after Bleach is finally dead. They got a new season coming and everything, it'll cover the two year wait for Bleach Final.

Not sure why I skipped T&B, but I feel like I should check out that show one of these days when I don't have much else to watch.

It's SO much better than the name would lead you to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom