• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
As far as we know, Rebuild does not have that scene. Though there's still one more movie to go so anything can happen.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That was End of Eva, not 2.22.

That's The End of Evangelion, not Evangelion 2.22. You won't see that scene tonight.

As far as we know, Rebuild does not have that scene. Though there's still one more movie to go so anything can happen.

oh, and now that I remember it, I have seen that scene, now that I youtubed it, never saw the movie but remember it being talked about alot that I had to check it out

Seda

Random comment:

Some of the voice changes in the dub of End of Evangelion were TERRIBLE. Professor Fuyutsuki especially as well several of the lesser NERV guys. Not that NGE is a great dub but I thought it was suitable. I tend to prefer dubs and I'm going to recommend for anyone who hasn't seen EoE to not watch the dub.

B.K.

I wonder if they'll show the 3.0 teaser. I doubt they will, since they didn't show the 2.0 teaser. What a troll that was.

Random comment:

Some of the voice changes in the dub of End of Evangelion were TERRIBLE. Professor Fuyutsuki especially as well several of the lesser NERV guys. Not that NGE is a great dub but I thought it was suitable. I tend to prefer dubs and I'm going to recommend for anyone who hasn't seen EoE to not watch the dub.

Also, don't buy the Region 1 DVD. It's horrible. Watch the Renewal version of End of Evangelion, if possible.

Crocodile

I will chime in an say I really enjoyed Tiger & Bunny for most of the same reasons others liked it (good, mostly adult characters with adult personalities and problems). It's a perfect fit for Toonami.

I also agree that the last arc of the show smelled like what happened with Code Geass S1 where the show got TONS more popular than they expected and they modified the ending to leave it more opened ended then they originally intended to provide hooks for more (in this case the two movies).

I furthermore agree that Fire Emblem could have been handled better but he improved as the show went on. For a nation that produces so much Yuri and BL media for consumption, Japan kind of sucks at writing gay and transsexual characters (at least in more "mainstream" media). It's kind of annoying actually. I remember being actively annoyed and bothered by the Beach episode of Gargantia as they were effectively making tired and contrived transexual jokes :( I will say that OD and Rui from Gatchaman Crowds are gay and transexual (I think?) respectively and I think they are written pretty well so maybe we can see some improvement on that from from Japan.

thetechkid

I wonder if they'll show the 3.0 teaser. I doubt they will, since they didn't show the 2.0 teaser. What a troll that was.

Also, don't buy the Region 1 DVD. It's horrible. Watch the Renewal version of End of Evangelion, if possible.

Its good because people won't build up hope and have it crushed by 3.0.

Tenumi

Banned
Random comment:

Not to mention the mispronouncing of important terms like Eva, even by the retained voice actors. I would've hated to be in that recording session.

yami4ct

I will chime in an say I really enjoyed Tiger & Bunny for most of the same reasons others liked it (good, mostly adult characters with adult personalities and problems). It's a perfect fit for Toonami.

I also agree that the last arc of the show smelled like what happened with Code Geass S1 where the show got TONS more popular than they expected and they modified the ending to leave it more opened ended then they originally intended to provide hooks for more (in this case the two movies).

I furthermore agree that Fire Emblem could have been handled better but he improved as the show went on. For a nation that produces so much Yuri and BL media for consumption, Japan kind of sucks at writing gay and transsexual characters (at least in more "mainstream" media). It's kind of annoying actually. I remember being actively annoyed and bothered by the Beach episode of Gargantia as they were effectively making tired and contrived transexual jokes :( I will say that OD and Rui from Gatchaman Crowds are gay and transexual (I think?) respectively and I think they are written pretty well so maybe we can see some improvement on that from from Japan.

OD is just played off as very effeminate right now. I don't think he's shown any open attraction to other men. Rui is a cross dresser, but it's unclear if he does that for disguise purpose or if he identifies as female. I think it's the latter, but it's so far not clear. That subtlety is nice, though, and it's treated well in Gatchaman Crowds. Step up from how horrible Japan typically writes LGBT characters.

Happy "Not SAO" Day everyone!

EAT IT SAO.

iGLrP31azMviv.gif

iy5PR3GAEhhY0.gif

Crocodile

OD is just played off as very effeminate right now. I don't think he's shown any open attraction to other men. Rui is a cross dresser, but it's unclear if he does that for disguise purpose or if he identifies as female. I think it's the latter, but it's so far not clear. That subtlety is nice, though, and it's treated well in Gatchaman Crowds. Step up from how horrible Japan typically writes LGBT characters.

I may need to rewatch Epispde 8 but I distinctively remember OD asking Hajime how cute the Fire Chief was before he met them and OD again remarked that he thought the Fire Chief was attractive when he saw him. The school children also remarked that he was gay but I may need to double check the words they use. Either way, though the degree may be in question, OD and Rui are definitely on the other side of the heteronormative scale and they are treated with respect by the writers. I give them props for that.

yami4ct

I may need to rewatch Epispde 8 but I distinctively remember OD asking Hajime how cute the Fire Chief was before he met them and OD again remarked that he thought the Fire Chief was attractive when he saw him. The school children also remarked that he was gay but I may need to double check the words they use. Either way, though the degree may be in question, OD and Rui are definitely on the other side of the heteronormative scale and they are treated with respect by the writers. I give them props for that.

Forgot about the fire chief scene this week. Yeah. Their totally both on the the other side of the heteronormative scale, as you say, and they handle it without making it a big deal or a joke is great. It's not perfectly deep or anything, but leagues ahead of most anime.

Well then, I hope I like her

Back to the series (epi. 20 specifically): If Shinji has any brains and balls, he'll become one with
Misato :p

BatDan

Ya know I did a pretty damn good job of removing that edit from my memory

SwAHrgC.jpg

welp

I always like to play the "What Would 4Kids Do?" game, where I look at certain One Piece scenes after Alabasta and wonder "How the hell would they do this?"

they really made coby bishie lol

Garp's Training from Hell.
Results in 30 days or your money back. Though instead of money, you'll be punched really hard.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzRHDJCYNuOV3ml

Finally a Sketch Dump cover I'm mostly happy with ;) Attempted to mimic some Yoshiyuki Sadamoto with a lot of it, but it's really it's own thing. Spent about 5 times more time on this one than most covers so... err... hope it shows? XD

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I always like to play the "What Would 4Kids Do?" game, where I look at certain One Piece scenes after Alabasta and wonder "How the hell would they do this?"

Garp's Training from Hell.
Results in 30 days or your money back. Though instead of money, you'll be punched really hard.
haha
zlCfzRHDJCYNuOV3ml

Finally a Sketch Dump cover I'm mostly happy with ;) Attempted to mimic some Yoshiyuki Sadamoto with a lot of it, but it's really it's own thing. Spent about 5 times more time on this one than most covers so... err... hope it shows? XD

ah yes, the original character who was created most likely purely for doujin potential, best work yet btw

BatDan

zlCfzRHDJCYNuOV3ml

Very nice. Miiverse art continues to impress.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SO I am being told this is the first time Bleach hasn't been on Adult Swim since 2008. I really wish they would make more of a habit out of that factoid.

zlCfzRHDJCYNuOV3ml

Me gusta. You always deliver, SAB.

zlCfzRHDJCYNuOV3ml

Nice
Hey man, I'm just enjoying this week being the one week in forever where I don't need to change the channel at 2 AM, next week can happen later
Good point. Cherish this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom