• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah it wasn't licensed by Funimation for some reason. I actually kinda liked the dub on it. US Manga is certainly not in business any more, wonder if anyone even holds the license for that one.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, TV Guide grabs from the internet now, due to the Soul Eater leak.

Demarco also said that they stopped giving schedules to TV Guide.

CLEVER [AS].

59af70f173dfb874c6ad.png
The blank schedule thing happens almost every month. Just a result of how they update the Turner database.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think the VA is pretty good, with the occasional awkward dialogue because they wanted to make sure it felt like an anime its up there interms of dubbing

This weeks episode should be pretty hype. "The Rocket" is back on the track, Team Velshtein gets their long awaited rematch with Team Satomi, and we get to see another River v Takeshi duel. I'm excited.

not really. i can't think of any one instance when a performance impressed me. it's serviceable, with some general awkwardness (mostly from Michelle Rodriguez) thrown in for good measure.
I can understand not liking IGPX as a show but this is the first time I've seen somebody complain about the voice acting. It's definitely above "serviceable,"I would say it's great.

*MCXC's toonami VO tier rankings*

Top Tier
FMA
IGPX
Soul Eater
Clone Wars
Big O
Bebop

Mid Tier
Naruto
One Piece
Inuyasha
E7
Deadman Wonderland
SBT
S7
GiTS
SAO
Casshern Sins

Low Tier
Bleach
Thundercats
GXP

i would not generally complain about the voice acting, but calling it great is a gigantic overstatement. i don't see anything great about any performance that isn't Peter Cullen.

also, wtf at the rest of that list. Big O is definitely not top tier and One Piece is not mid tier. IGPX clearly doesn't belong in the company of Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist, while voice acting was never Thundercats's problem.

I can understand not liking IGPX as a show but this is the first time I've seen somebody complain about the voice acting. It's definitely above "serviceable,"I would say it's great.

Top Tier
FMA
IGPX
Soul Eater
Clone Wars
Big O
Bebop

Mid Tier
Naruto
One Piece
Inuyasha
E7
Deadman Wonderland
SBT
S7
GiTS

Low Tier
Bleach
Thundercats

Wut?

i would not generally complain about the voice acting, but calling it great is a gigantic overstatement. i don't see anything great about any performance that isn't Peter Cullen.

also, wtf at the rest of that list. Big O is definitely not top tier and One Piece is not mid tier. IGPX clearly doesn't belong in the company of Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist, while voice acting was never Thundercats's problem.
Nowhere did I say Thundercats was crap because of the voice acting, don't know where you're getting that.

And opinions, man. That list is based strictly on dub voice acting, not the quality of the shows.

Nowhere did I say Thundercats was crap because of the voice acting, don't know where you're getting that.

And opinions, man. That list is based strictly on dub voice acting, not the quality of the shows.

and i'm not sure where i said that YOU said that. i'm pointing out that Thundercats had decent voice acting for the most part.

i never said it was based on the quality of the shows, i was referring to the voice acting.

and i'm not sure where i said that YOU said that. i'm pointing out that Thundercats had decent voice acting for the most part.

i never said it was based on the quality of the shows, i was referring to the voice acting.
Maybe I read that wrong it seemed like you were strongly implying that. Calm down bro.

Seda

I think FMA and Soul Eater have fantastic dubs. One Piece is good, but just by the nature of the show, you get a lot of screaming/yelling and perhaps other annoying things like announcers who ride giant Pidgeys. Bebop's is great too.

Naruto starts out poor and eventually turns decent, where Bleach started out decent and turned poor (although I thought Kyle did a good job in Aizen's defeat).

I agree with GMN on IGPX. It's 'alright' most of the time, and every episode there feel like a couple of oddly delivered lines, often from main trio. I also agree with him on Thundercats. Thundercats had fine voice acting. But it has many other problems of course.

The rest of the shows I really don't have much of an opinion on. The VA is just kind doable.

Thundercats gets a pass on Mumm-Ra alone, though Will Friedle hamming it up for his THUNDERCATS HOOOOO was probably one of the only things i had to look forward to once the series took a dive off a cliff.

as far as One Piece goes, i think the announcer up to this point in the show is the only character who's actually bothered me. later there's
that ramen bastard
but he isn't around nearly as much. when they get to the emotional scenes the dub is fucking fantastic.

MCXC Pioneer said:
Maybe I read that wrong it seemed like you were strongly implying that. Calm down bro.

i am calm. the "you" was in all caps because i'm too lazy to use italics.

Michelle Rodriguez, Steve Blum, Peter Cullen, Mark Hamill, Haley Joel Osment, Kari Wahlgren...I don't understand you people.

i'm not sure when anyone ever considered michelle rodriguez a strong actress and she probably is responsible for most of the awkward lines in this series, steve blum actually sounds bored, peter cullen is the light in the darkness, mark hamill is pretty good but his character rarely shows up, haley joel osment is generally pretty flat, and kari wahlgren's performance as satomi is fine but nothing to write home about.

Schadenfreude said:
One Piece is on a whole different level of voice acting when it comes to emotional scenes. So good.

no one is ready for the feels.

i'm not sure when anyone ever considered michelle rodriguez a strong actress and she probably is responsible for most of the awkward lines in this series, steve blum actually sounds bored, peter cullen is the light in the darkness, mark hamill is pretty good but his character rarely shows up, haley joel osment is generally pretty flat, and kari wahlgren's performance as satomi is fine but nothing to write home about.

no one is ready for the feels.
She's an award winning actress so obviously she's doing something right.

There's so much wrong with this post but whatever, it's your opinion.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think FMA and Soul Eater have fantastic dubs. One Piece is good, but just by the nature of the show, you get a lot of screaming/yelling and perhaps other annoying things like announcers who ride giant Pidgeys. Bebop's is great too.

Naruto starts out poor and eventually turns decent, where Bleach started out decent and turned poor (although I thought Kyle did a good job in Aizen's defeat).

I agree with GMN on IGPX. It's 'alright' most of the time, and every episode there feel like a couple of oddly delivered lines, often from main trio. I also agree with him on Thundercats. Thundercats had fine voice acting. But it has many other problems of course.

The rest of the shows I really don't have much of an opinion on. The VA is just kind doable.
you have good opinions, the worse dub i heard on new toonami so far is GXP or whatever its called, holyshit, thats 90's/80's level of bad voiceacting, the main character's voice is just unbearable, especially for a main character

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cast wise Bleach has a who's who of anime voice actors and yet is still the worst dubbed show on the block now that GXP is gone. It's got a lot to do with direction.

Some of the actors in IGPX clearly do not give a damn about being there and turn in poor performances. Overall I'd say its a pretty well dubbed show but it does have inconsistencies here and there.

Raxus

Cast wise Bleach has a who's who of anime voice actors and yet is still the worst dubbed show on the block now that GXP is gone. It's got a lot to do with direction.

Some of the actors in IGPX clearly do not give a damn about being there and turn in poor performances. Overall I'd say its a pretty well dubbed show but it does have inconsistencies here and there.

I think the worst thing about IGPX is all Takashi who sounds like he sleepwalks through all his lines. I could seriously do a better job. It doesn't help he is also the main character. The rest of the cast is fine. They fit snugly in the archetype they are given and don't really deviate because that is what the script demands. Nothing wrong on the VA side though in my opinion.

Bleach is a mess. Half the time I swear it seems like the VA's are trying to pronounce the names of all the swords and random Japanese stuff they toss everywhere in the series. They all come across as very wooden.

Also an award should go to Maka's VA Laura Bailey. Not only did she easily fix the worst part of the anime she actually turned the character into one of the strongest parts of the show.

I don't think HJO is "sleep walking" through Takeshi's lines, he's playing the role of the character perfectly. Just because the script doesn't call for him to be screaming 90% of the time (I'm looking at you, One Piece) does not mean that the delivery is flat.

That's my two cents anyway

The Bleach dub is awful though, truly one of the worst things I've ever heard. Not even I can defend it.

What? Outside of MAYBE Michelle Ruff I wouldn't call the Bleach cast a "who's who" of anime.

IGXP has great voice actors. It does not have great voice acting.

Two very different things.

I'm not saying that IGPX has great voice acting because the cast is individually talented, the two are not mutually exclusive. Even if the VO work came from a bunch of no-names I would still say it's good.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What? Outside of MAYBE Michelle Ruff I wouldn't call the Bleach cast a "who's who" of anime.

Huh?

Johnny Young Bosch
Michelle Ruff
Stephanie Sheh
Vic Mignogna
Patrick Seitz
Liam O'Brien
Kyle Hebert
Troy Baker
Jamieson Price
Wendee Lee
Wally Wingert
Spike Spencer
Travis Willingham
Laura Bailey
Michael McConnohie
Karen Strassman
Kate Higgins
Beau Billingslea
Barbara Goodson
Mona Marshall
Richard Epcar
Quinton Flynn
Yuri Lowenthal
Tony Oliver
among others...

isn't a "who's who" of anime? Aside from a few Funimation regulars, just about the only person missing is Steve Blum, and even he played Ulquiorra in one of the earlier Bleach games.

Huh?

long list

isn't a "who's who" of anime? Aside from a few Funimation regulars, just about the only person missing is Steve Blum, and even he played Ulquiorra in one of the earlier Bleach games.

I couldn't tell you what any of those people (besides Laura Bailey) have been in (as far as anime) other than Bleach and I doubt most people outside of the most hardcore otaku(s) could either. That's not a snarky jab or anything, I'm being sincere.

When I think of a "who's who" list I look at it as the best or most iconic voice actors in the industry, not a bunch a regulars. Maybe that's not the norm, but that's how I personally look at it.

I couldn't tell you what any of those people (besides Laura Bailey) have been in (as far as anime) other than Bleach and I doubt most people outside of the most hardcore otaku(s) could either. That's not a snarky jab or anything, I'm being sincere.

When I think of a "who's who" list I look at it as the best or most iconic voice actors in the industry, not a bunch a regulars. Maybe that's not the norm, but that's how I personally look at it.

You really don't recognize JYB? He's literally been in everything

Do you not watch a lot of dubbed anime?

You really don't recognize JYB? He's literally been in everything

Do you not watch a lot of dubbed anime?

No but I think somebody told me he was in Power Rangers or something like that. I watched a lot of dubbed anime from ages 10-16 before I started transitioning to subs. That was about 7 years ago, now the only dubbed anime I watch is toonami or old series from the late 80s/90s that I grew up on.

No but I think somebody told me he was in Power Rangers or something like that. I watched a lot of dubbed anime from ages 10-16 before I started transitioning to subs. That was about 7 years ago, now the only dubbed anime I watch is toonami or old series from the late 80s/90s that I grew up on.

Just off the top of my head he's played

Vash from Trigun
Lelouch from Code Geass
Kiba from Wolf's Rain
Yukio from Blue Exorcist
Renton from Eureka 7
Shotaro from Akira

And that's before we get into his video game appearances which include

Zero from marvel vs Capcom 3
Emil from tales of symphonia 2
Guy from tales of the abyss
Nero from devil may cry 4
Yu from persona 4

And that's just top of my head

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's a who's who list of US anime voice actors if I've ever seen one.

Naruto's list is similar though tons of the big names have very bit parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom