• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Toonami should pick up Future Dairy and air it alongside SAO. The contrast would be hilarious and it would be super fun to follow with toonami gaf.

So, is anyone missing the daily Toonami format from years past, or everyone happy with it being just a once a week sorta thing?
I miss Reboot =(

While I enjoyed daily toonami, it was a pain because I'd often miss episodes if I had after school events or the family went out to eat. Made story heavy shows frustrating to follow

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Toonami should pick up Future Dairy and air it alongside SAO. The contrast would be hilarious and it would be super fun to follow with toonami gaf.
I think Future Diary would be a good fit, considering it's got both action and mystery. Wouldn't mind rewatching the show with a dub, though I wonder how much of the censored version they'd have to use.

So yeah been playing some Pokemon, when suddenly I came across an SAO moment.

Image.

What's next? She's going to ask me to not look at her Pokemon?
Good thing I got a Pikachu. ¬‿¬
Hope she doesn't fall off the balcony, cuz that would suck.

So, is anyone missing the daily Toonami format from years past, or everyone happy with it being just a once a week sorta thing?
I miss Reboot =(

Nope. I'm not 10 years old anymore; I don't have the luxury of being able to watch a programming block every weekday from 4-7.

Goddamn at MCXC's Big O post. One more episode, man. Just one more episode and you'll have all the answers you could ever want.
Or be more confused than ever

Nope. I'm not 10 years old anymore; I don't have the luxury of being able to watch a programming block every weekday from 4-7.

I started my first ever job when Toonami started airing "the 17 never before seen episodes!" of Sailor Moon R.

I was so pissed lol. I believe I had my parents record them on VHS, probably in my attic.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I was about to start playing fate/stay night but was told it'll spoil fate/zero so I'll wait for you guys

I'm going to aswell lol, just waiting until fate/zero is over, also alot of eroge can have some pretty good stories that are decently long, so stick with it.

bigkrev

I miss Reboot =(

I didn't like it back in the day because I would always miss it due to clubs/friends/activities. I'd hate it even more now. It would just sit on the DVR till I deleted it I watched due to a buildup of unwatched shows.

I can marathon shows, and I can handle once a week. But not this one episode a day crap, especially of a 22 minute show

Seda

Agree with some of the other responses regarding daily/weekly format. Watching a daily block as a middle schooler is one thing. As a grad student it's not going to happen. Once a week on Saturdays certainly takes a while to get through some shows but I can fit it into a schedule/routine.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Agree with some of the other responses regarding daily/weekly format. Watching a daily block as a middle schooler is one thing. As a grad student it's not going to happen. Once a week on Saturdays certainly takes a while to get through some shows but I can fit it into a schedule/routine.

Yea, I like Toonami right where it is, more of it and I would have to not watch it.

LOLDSFAN

In the early day, I never watched a whole lot of Toonami. It wasn't until 2005 or so that I started watching it on a consistent basis. I think it was just on for just one day by then.

Raxus

God damn it, I fell asleep during hypefest 2013.

Them reactions:
wow i need to fucking catch up one some fucking ONE PIECE holy shit

Can it be next Saturday already?

O_O

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

This is unreal

holllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy shitttttttttttttttttttt holyyyyyyyyyyyyy fuuuuuuuuuuuckiiiiiiiiiinggggggggggggggg shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttt

guys

I am literally trembling

BROKEN AS FUCK HOMIE

Holy fuck this dude is OP

man canon One Piece is soooo gooooood.

Anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

Them shit eating grins from One Piece fans:
Nothing better than canon One Piece.

Welcome Toonami-GAF to the real face of One Piece.

Yall fucked now

IT FEELS SO GOOD!

Welcome to Water 7, enjoy your stay. Bow down to future epicness. Best arc begins:

Aokiji_Ice_Age.gif

we're seriously talking like Chris Sabat early DBZ here, except for every actor and much more noticeable.

Most dubbed anime have the same 15 VA in every series playing the same style of roles and rarely do they even try to hide the fact. JYB in Fate/Zero was the first time I legit didn't recognize JYB the second he opened his mouth.

Whoah. That's crazy. The VAs must have raked in the paychecks for that show.

There was a long timegap between me seeing One Piece on TV, and rush-marathoning Enel to catch up for Toonami. In my head, all I could remember was the parts I'd seen of CP9 over the years, and the echos of things that happened before the timeskip. I was so pumped to return to a Shonen that didn't treat things with Kid Gloves, and had real grit...

Enel reminded me this was still much more kiddy than a few "Ass!" and "Hell!"s could cover, lol.

It's not even the fact the characters can or cannot die that bugs me, as much as it is that the drama just feels weak without those threats. Illusion or not, my mind can play with how hard it is for a main character to accept a death, or how shocking it must of been to them, or their friends, when it happened (Ironically, I just watched Madoka recently... so... err... YEAH! *chomp!*). The illusion disappates when actions have an overall effect. It's not just a Star Wars "SHOCK! WE KILLED A DUDE!" Value, it's meat that the story gets to chew on forever going forward, when done right. One Piece knows this (How many characters have dead people in their backstories? Heh), but it just squanders it soooo much now...

eh. i guess we approached the show with very different expectations lol. all i expected was a pretty good entry in this genre, and that's what i got.

i think the threat of death still exists even if it's very, very, very rarely acted upon, and even then i think the threat of being defeated or being beaten half to death is a decent enough substitute. and i don't really see how this deflates the drama so much more than just about any other fighting shonen; it's painfully obvious in almost all of them that the main characters aren't going to die and most of the people that DO die are just going to be kind of faceless or barely developed. or they're the villains.

Honestly I don't think One Piece would be better if main characters died left and right. I'd say 95% of all stories be they shonen manga/anime to American comics to live action tv/movies have main characters basically immune from death outside of maybe the finale of the story and I'm okay with it. The tension/excitement for me isn't "will they live or die" I know they'll live, it's "how are they going to achieve their goal" and that's the fun for me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This weekend of toonami is going to be absolutely nuts.

Oh yes, I think most of the shows are going to be unbelievably hype.

On another note, whichever one of you guys is Lazy (in Pokemon) thanks for the battle and letting me test out the online battling. It was fun. Also I hate paralysis so much. SO MUCH.

Honestly I don't think One Piece would be better if main characters died left and right. I'd say 95% of all stories be they shonen manga/anime to American comics to live action tv/movies have main characters basically immune from death outside of maybe the finale of the story and I'm okay with it. The tension/excitement for me isn't "will they live or die" I know they'll live, it's "how are they going to achieve their goal" and that's the fun for me.

I agree. We all know all the main characters in a given series will survive. How many people died in FMA? The main cast was more or less intact outside of a single death, which was done for plot reasons, and it didn't take away from the story at all. If there's no good reason to kill someone off then it shouldn't be done, otherwise that's how we end up with the end of Harry Potter.

Raxus

This weekend of toonami is going to be absolutely nuts.
Tell me about it.

End of an era. RIP Cowboy Bebop for a few months. Band of 7 begins. Epic Naruto fight. We deal with the Aokiji aftermath. SAO asks if we adopt in the game so we adopt IRL? IGPX shows us who's a punk bitch. Big O mindfucks us one last time.

Oh and Bleach...whatever.

basically this. though it does bug me a bit when they pull a bait-and-switch like in Alabasta.

Oh yes, I think most of the shows are going to be unbelievably hype.

On another note, whichever one of you guys is Lazy (in Pokemon) thanks for the battle and letting me test out the online battling. It was fun. Also I hate paralysis so much. SO MUCH.

I agree. We all know all the main characters in a given series will survive. How many people died in FMA? The main cast was more or less intact outside of a single death, which was done for plot reasons, and it didn't take away from the story at all. If there's no good reason to kill someone off then it shouldn't be done, otherwise that's how we end up with the end of Harry Potter.

Harry Potter is a great example of an author killing off characters for no good reason other then to kill them off.

Also B-Dubs you're going to hate playing me, my favorite kind of play style is para-fusion-flinch with serene grace

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Harry Potter is a great example of an author killing off characters for no good reason other then to kill them off.

Also B-Dubs you're going to hate playing me, my favorite kind of play style is para-fusion-flinch with serene grace

It just caught me by surprise since it was an accident and I haven't built an online team yet. Plus it happened to one of my sweepers :lol

It just caught me by surprise since it was an accident and I haven't built an online team yet. Plus it happened to one of my sweepers :lol

Yeah at this point no one should really have any great online ready teams lol

For online battles does the game easily let you average level cause I'd challenge people more frequently but I'm afraid of challenging someone who's under or over leveled

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah at this point no one should really have any great online ready teams lol

For online battles does the game easily let you average level cause I'd challenge people more frequently but I'm afraid of challenging someone who's under or over leveled

It auto-levels all your pokemon to 50 before you start the battle. I'm at Victory Road and have no idea what my online team will look like right now. I still need to find a way to get my EVed guys from SS to Y too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
we're seriously talking like Chris Sabat early DBZ here, except for every actor and much more noticeable.

Yes. GTO has a fairly big cast: 10-12 regulars, 20-30 semi-regulars and maybe another two dozen one off background characters. 4 or 5 actors do most of the voices. Think DBZ Abridged even more than early DBZ.

so, you guys know how i'm crazy and have to watch every episode of a show? i'm watching the Jar Jar Binks episode that Toonami skipped.

4PcBWdx.gif

Why would you do this?

It auto-levels all your pokemon to 50 before you start the battle. I'm at Victory Road and have no idea what my online team will look like right now. I still need to find a way to get my EVed guys from SS to Y too.

That's good to know

Yeah I still haven't found a Murkrow/Honchkrow yet, can't play online unless my boy is on my team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom