• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

FLCL will always have a special place in my heart for being the show I woke up to one night at like 2 or 3 am when I was in like 6th grade and it having alter the course of my mind forever (it was the episode
focusing on that theater president girl or whoever
, like all eps it was fricking nuts.) I had accidentally seen eps of Home Movies and some other early AS shows but none had the effect on my that one episode of FLCL did. I didn't even know the name of the anime until years later, and of course the live action anime just further bewildered and enchanted me.

It's one of those things that happened as a kid you'll never be able to replicate, and I will forever love the show deeply for it.

This is my EXACT same experience, except it was my little brother and I at our shore house. Same episode too!
I might have been a freshman, it's hard to place the exact year.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Game Boy references are also easier to understand when you see it in print form.

"The Advance is hip right now, but the original has a place in my heart. Unlike Pocket, there was only the plastic gray! Though Color had killer app use for things like the sewing machine, not much use for Virtual anymore, huh? Next on Furi Kuri, episode 2: "Fire Starter." Prepare to get burned."

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
then later, there will only be inuyashagaf

lol true

I actually think if you take out the context of how Asuna and Kirito met and the sheer stupidity surrounding their relationship circumstances, their little breakdown conversation at the base was actually alright.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
IGZzzzzzzzzzX is god awful in the beginning. Part of the reason why so few actually like it as almost no one stuck around.

Honestly I might go to bed at IGPX, if only because I have to be at work at 2... which means an hour commute at 1. When I stay up for InuYasha I usually wake up around noon, like to get a bit more sleep.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's exactly how I feel about FLCL.

This is my EXACT same experience, except it was my little brother and I at our shore house. Same episode too!
I might have been a freshman, it's hard to place the exact year.

Awesome!

What made it even more mysterious is I tried to explain the show to fellow schoolmates the next day and I must have sounded like a crazy person trying to do so. I mean, back then we were watching some eps of pre-reboot Family Guy and Futurama (I think), so we all knew AS, but this one weird ass anime... nobody knew. Except me, as I had seen one episode. Didn't even know the name, and I couldn't explain it. And of course, this was back before we really used the internet too.

Amikami

Banned
for best toonamigaf we will be seeing it all over again tonight

Are you taunting me!!?

Hold me back Hehateme!!

tumblr_m6rvsjsoiz1rzhv5ho1_500.gif

I can't even imagine how mind-bending FLCL must've been to someone in grade/high school. Watching it just out of college was trippy enough.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Gaime, no... nooooo.. :(

We can no longer be e-pals with shared good taste in anime songs.

Look, the narrative is just too discombobulated for me to really enjoy. It's not that I don't enjoy thematic or symbolic narratives rather than event based ones (LOVE Mawaru Penguin Drum), or that I don't enjoy "wacky jappy" comedy (Excel Saga and Hare Nochi Guu are some of my favorite anime... as is Sayonara Zetzubou Sensei), or that I don't like FLCL's stylistic animations or soundtrack... there's something about how the individual pieces of FLCL come together that does not mesh well with me (and I HATE the tone of the voice acting most of the time).

I've watched in 6, 7 times over the years, but my opinion hasn't changed. I guess I just don't "get" it.

Nice to see "Shooting Star" trending right now. Most of the tweets were referring to The Pillows song.

neRdGTJ.png

And that's my last post on Toonami-GAF for the night.

Awesome!

What made it even more mysterious is I tried to explain the show to fellow schoolmates the next day and I must have sounded like a crazy person trying to do so. I mean, back then we were watching some eps of pre-reboot Family Guy and Futurama (I think), so we all knew AS, but this one weird ass anime... nobody knew. Except me, as I had seen one episode. Didn't even know the name, and I couldn't explain it. And of course, this was back before we really used the internet too.

I saw it from episode one back when I was in middle school, and as soon as I started talking about it at school everyone picked up on what I was referencing instantly.

I knew I was hanging out with a bunch of nerds back then, this just seals it!

Look, the narrative is just too discombobulated for me to really enjoy. It's not that I don't enjoy thematic or symbolic narratives rather than event based ones (LOVE Mawaru Penguin Drum), or that I don't enjoy "wacky jappy" comedy (Excel Saga and Hare Nochi Guu are some of my favorite anime... as is Sayonara Zetzubou Sensei), or that I don't like FLCL's stylistic animations or soundtrack... there's something about how the individual pieces of FLCL come together that does not mesh well with me (and I HATE the tone of the voice acting most of the time).

I've watched in 6, 7 times over the years, but my opinion hasn't changed. I guess I just don't "get" it.

Seems like you get it just fine, you just don't like it. It is what it is. It's just a same that you'll be treating FLCL the same way I treat Naruto - as a piss break.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can't even imagine how mind-bending FLCL must've been to someone in grade/high school. Watching it just out of college was trippy enough.

It's basically the reason I am what I am today, lol.

Like I said, a single ep shaped my mind forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom