• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

Buahahaha! They're actually starting Naruto from the beginning again???

Man I hope the ratings for that drop hard.

Not to mention the lack of second InuYasha.

I mean why not just continue Naruto and hold off from Shippuuden? I don't think the choice was very clear for him. I think most people would have preferred some type of resolution before Shippuuden started. Now it's like a slap in the face to those haven't seen the original one. Sorry we didn't finish it for you but here's it again from the top.
TadkV.gif

bigkrev

So.....foodservice?
*crickets chirping*

Sounds rather silly, yet fun. If I remember, I'll have to start reading it once I've got free time from studying.

Viz has licensed it for print, and is calling it.... Food Wars. Seriously.

To be fair, no one at the bookstore is going to have any clue what "Shokugeki no Soma" means. On the other hand, Food Wars.

Raxus

The choice to not continue Naruto from where it left off makes sense from a business standpoint. It's super popular, HD, and has been off the air for ~5 years.

From a quality standpoint?

Seda

The choice to not continue Naruto from where it left off makes sense from a business standpoint. It's super popular, HD, and has been off the air for ~5 years.

From a quality standpoint?

Shippuden's not HD until episode 54 I thought.

Buahahaha! They're actually starting Naruto from the beginning again???

Man I hope the ratings for that drop hard.

Not to mention the lack of second InuYasha.

I mean why not just continue Naruto and hold off from Shippuuden? I don't think the choice was very clear for him. I think most people would have preferred some type of resolution before Shippuuden started. Now it's like a slap in the face to those haven't seen the original one. Sorry we didn't finish it for you but here's it again from the top.
TadkV.gif

Why would you want a ratings drop?

Naruto has been shown to death, I'm pretty sure toonami viewers like me who haven't seen part I yet are in the minority. I'm glad this allowed them to get Shippuden, it makes more sense to go after that and have long term stability.

Starting 200 episodes in hasn't stopped OP from averaging 800k-900k so skipping 75 ish episodes of Naruto shouldn't impact Shippuden that much. Past 3pm its just rewatch city and naruto uncut from the beginning again should still do really well

mhs004

If I remember right there are some pretty good fights in Shippuden that I enjoyed, I didn't like the first arc that much though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Viz has licensed it for print, and is calling it.... Food Wars. Seriously.

To be fair, no one at the bookstore is going to have any clue what "Shokugeki no Soma" means. On the other hand, Food Wars.
Eeeeeehhhhh, sounds like a lame Food Network or some other cable channel show show. I mean, it IS kind of straight to the point...ish. Though I don't know what the original title translate to (hell, only Wiki page for it is in Spanish. Nothing for English.).

So not Franky but somebody else on One Piece. I knew Patrick Seitz wasn't a good fit. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy's work, but I just didn't see it. Glad to see my boy Ian Sinclair is getting some more high profile work. Also, looks like Clone Wars isn't doing hot enough for them to keep it early in the lineup. Sad for you, good for me. Another rerun of Naruto kinda sucks though. I'll miss having two episodes of Inuyasha every week. One of my most favorite parts of the block. Oh well. You gotta do what you gotta do.

see, i don't believe this at all. Clone Wars has always done really well, as far as we can tell. there's gotta be some other reason

Demarco explains on twitter what's happening:

"#toonami fans, so I'm not doing this all day: we were allowed by partners to extend our ORIGINAL Naruto deal (52 eps) for a second run.

Continuing from where we left off would have been prohibitively expensive. Basically, it was get Shuppuden/re-run Naruto or continue...

…with new Naruto eps, but NO Shippuden. The choice was clear. That's the first and last time I'll deal with that here so please do not ask.

IN SHORT: You can't have it all, and neither can we. But I certainly think 3 solid hours of premieres is a good way to kick off the year. "

He also says Toonami 2.0 is way beyond where he expected it to be by this point which in encouraging news to say the least :)

I guess I can accept this explanation

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
see, i don't believe this at all. Clone Wars has always done really well, as far as we can tell. there's gotta be some other reason

It makes sense to me. The 5 am hour has generally been reserved, whenever possible, for shows that can segue back into the younger audience of regular Cartoon Network when it starts at 6. It doesn't always work out that way for one reason or another, but when they can, that's usually what they aim for. That's why Inuyasha is there now, because IY always had a pretty young skewing audience. Clone Wars fits in that graveyard slot just fine, too. In fact, I'd almost consider putting Inuyasha at 5 and Clone Wars at 5:30. I assume the only reason they're not is simply due to the ages of the shows.

Clone Wars was also pretty disruptive to the general flow of the block in the slot that it was in. It's a big stylistic and tonal shift smack in the middle of the lineup. Makes more sense to switch that out than one of the more established shows like FMA and GITS.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Full-on One Piece crossover. Toei wanted Toriko to be the next big thing so they put it before One Piece and had the first episode be a crossover.
Due to rights issues, Funimation can't dub or even simulcast these episodes. Which is strange since they own the rights to both but whatever.

However, Toriko didn't exactly become the "next big thing" that Toei (and by extension Shueisha) wanted it to be. It's popular sure, but it's not doing as well as One Piece, Naruto or Kuroko's Basketball.

This is because Viz has the rights to Toriko over here.

mhs004

Okay I'll say it I've enjoyed the cooking fest arc of Toriko more than the Dessrosa arc in One Piece, or Part 2 One Piece in general.

Okay I'll say it I've enjoyed the cooking fest arc of Toriko more than the Dessrosa arc in One Piece, or Part 2 One Piece in general.

Cooking fest became dumb when it stopped being a cooking fest and went massive battle. Dressrosa just got real as all hell in the most recent chapter should be good from here out.

mhs004

Cooking fest became dumb when it stopped being a cooking fest and went massive battle. Dressrosa just got real as all hell in the most recent chapter should be good from here out.

I liked the massive battles though, I like Toriko battles in general. The actual cooking tournament was begging to bore me and then the writer just went apeshit, which I really enjoyed. Yea the current chapter in OP did get real but that's just been one chapter and doesn't say alot of the arc as a whole. I've enjoyed the arc don't get me wrong I just enjoyed the cooking fest more.

It makes sense to me. The 5 am hour has generally been reserved, whenever possible, for shows that can segue back into the younger audience of regular Cartoon Network when it starts at 6. It doesn't always work out that way for one reason or another, but when they can, that's usually what they aim for. That's why Inuyasha is there now, because IY always had a pretty young skewing audience. Clone Wars fits in that graveyard slot just fine, too. In fact, I'd almost consider putting Inuyasha at 5 and Clone Wars at 5:30. I assume the only reason they're not is simply due to the ages of the shows.

Clone Wars was also pretty disruptive to the general flow of the block in the slot that it was in. It's a big stylistic and tonal shift smack in the middle of the lineup. Makes more sense to switch that out than one of the more established shows like FMA and GITS.

Great post, insightful as always

I liked the massive battles though, I like Toriko battles in general. The actual cooking tournament was begging to bore me and then the writer just went apeshit, which I really enjoyed. Yea the current chapter in OP did get real but that's just been one chapter and doesn't say alot of the arc as a whole. I've enjoyed the arc don't get me wrong I just enjoyed the cooking fest more.

am i the only one who liked Punk Hazard quite a bit?

See I like when Toriko's real main character gets to shine (Komatsu). So the plot shifting away from him disappointed me. Dressrosa up to this point has clearly just been set up to the upcoming brawl between strawhats vs
dofla va big mom

mhs004

See I like when Toriko's real main character gets to shine (Komatsu). So the plot shifting away from him disappointed me. Dressrosa up to this point has clearly just been set up to the upcoming brawl between strawhats vs
dofla va big mom
It's a matter of opinion because I hate komatsu, he's my least favorite character. Yea I understand oda is setting up the pieces for the battle which will be amazing and I'm looking forward to it, I'm just saying the set up has been somewhat boring to me.

Skypiea would have been better if they had just cut the shadarians from it and made say wapol and one of the others a guardian for the strawhats to fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom