• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
During the Bandai of America fire sale Gundam (and Haruhi) were the two standouts that by and large were not picked up by Funimaiton/Sentai so those rights are probably being held up. I imagine its a case of Sunrise asking too much.

I'd be willing to bet that until Gundam Wing gets picked up and remastered we won't see a Gundam series on Toonami.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Besides killing Greed Ed does almost nothing interesting with his alchemy in the second half of that show. He does win more often though!

Rose said she loves Ed

8knRayb.gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You lot are making me nervous, I was considering watched 2003.

It's still a good anime. It has great animation, music and direction. It's just the writing that falls apart for it.

FMA 03's biggest problem is that the adaption was started WAY WAY too early. So not only does it suffer from a lack of "canon" content to base itself upon, but the main themes and plotlines were only half developed in the manga at the time, leaving Bones to fill in the blanks.

Thus you get an adaption that makes it rather obvious what is based on the manga and what is Bones making it up in the 2nd half. Once Bones takes over various plot lines are dropped (including Winry-Ed relationship somehow), Ed's alchemy regresses (since they don't have any more inventive ideas to swip from the manga anymore) and characterizations start going wild (Mustang is a huge victim of this throughout the show). Bones tries to compensate by amping up the emotional twists of the show,but it tends to come off as GRIMDARK and EMO for emo's sake. And then there is the final plot twist which wouldn't be so bad if (A) it was built up better and (B) if it wasn't just an obvious cliffhanger for the movie.

It's a really well made series. Just lower your expectations for the plot and characterization from what Brotherhood has likely set it as.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Never seen such a extreme reaction gmn and bass give off of the 03 version lol, especially since its the 03 version that made brotherhood a possibility due to such high praise the filler anime got

Never seen such a extreme reaction gmn and bass give off of the 03 version lol, especially since its the 03 version that made brotherhood a possibility due to such high praise the filler anime got

Fma 03 had nothing to do with brotherhood's creation, it was fans clamoring for a full adaptation that caused brotherhood to be created

Gmn nailed it though, fma03 has lots of great ideas but doesn't execute them well. The homonculi being created from failed human transmutation is a great idea, but (as of episode 47) it's only really influenced the character of Lust in a meaningful way. Sloth being the Elrich's mother should be more interesting then it actually plays out and it creates the issue of "why are the homonculi names after the 7 deadly sins when half of them don't personify those emotions".

I'll say more when I finish it, but as of 47/51 my feeling is the same, lots of great ideas muddled by poor execution.

Bones original work doesn't have to be complete garbage (see Wolfs Rain) but they're endings to Soul Eater and FMA 03 leave a lot to be desired

Raxus

Fma 03 had nothing to do with brotherhood's creation, it was fans clamoring for a full adaptation that caused brotherhood to be created

Gmn nailed it though, fma03 has lots of great ideas but doesn't execute them well. The homonculi being created from failed human transmutation is a great idea, but (as of episode 47) it's only really influenced the character of Lust in a meaningful way. Sloth being the Elrich's mother should be more interesting then it actually plays out and it creates the issue of "why are the homonculi names after the 7 deadly sins when half of them don't personify those emotions".

I'll say more when I finish it, but as of 47/51 my feeling is the same, lots of great ideas muddled by poor execution.

Basically this. Tons of 'reveals' are made to tug at heart strings and while it works on occasion most of the time it rings hollow. I think as I have grown older I like FMA03 just because I feel it 'played' me when I compare it to the original content. I feel seeing Conqueror, for me, was the nail in the coffin.

Edit: Will do Jarate. It was probably my favorite song of the night!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

there are fans clamoring for a full adaption of tons of series, all the time, if the 03 version had no barring over the creation of brotherhood, they wouldnt have aridged the first 10 episodes or so
Better than a fox.

you wish!

there are fans clamoring for a full adaption of tons of series, all the time, if the 03 version had no barring over the creation of brotherhood, they wouldnt have aridged the first 10 episodes or so

you wish!

Fma 03 only impacted them rushing the first 10 episodes, it had no impact on brotherhood being green lit. FMA was that big of a franchise that the mangaka acknowledged in one of the volumes she knew about fans desire for a new full anime adaptation prior to brotherhoods announcement.

eh. isn't FMA 03 responsible for creating a lot of that fanbase, though?

Fma was crazy popular, that's why they rushed an anime adaptation when the series only had like 15ish chapters in a monthly manga. It's also why the mangaka helped give them ideas for a way to take the series in a different direction for a complete story.

There was a reason fma 03 has filler in the first 5 episodes

Fma was crazy popular, that's why they rushed an anime adaptation when the series only had like 15ish chapters in a monthly manga. It's also why the mangaka helped give them ideas for a way to take the series in a different direction for a complete story.

yeah, but it's not every show that gets two adaptations. i really find it hard to believe the first anime being successful and also crazy popular had nothing to do with that.

yeah, but it's not every show that gets two adaptations. i really find it hard to believe the first anime being successful and also crazy popular had nothing to do with that.

Of course some people who saw fma 03 loved it and picked up the manga and the anime created an even larger fanbase, but fma was already a huge hit without it. But it's not like InuYasha/Bleach where the story ended incomplete and people wanted to see a final act/blood war to finish the story. Fma 03 had a definitive ending unlike those so the only people who'd know there was more story was manga readers. The fact people always say "oh brotherhood has a worst story then the original anime" clearly weren't reading the manga for the 6ish years in-between the two shows.

Of course some people who saw fma 03 loved it and picked up the manga and the anime created an even larger fanbase, but fma was already a huge hit without it. But it's not like InuYasha/Bleach where the story ended incomplete and people wanted to see a final act/blood war to finish the story. Fma 03 had a definitive ending unlike those so the only people who'd know there was more story was manga readers. The fact people always say "oh brotherhood has a worst story then the original anime" clearly weren't reading the manga for the 6ish years in-between the two shows.

what i'm saying is that there's plenty of popular stuff that doesn't get a second adaptation. if FMA 03 flopped in any way i kinda doubt Brotherhood would've happened, or at least happened so soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom