• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kubo has admit his flaw of "creating a bunch of characters when he has no idea what to do next".
But yeah, Most of those characters are inconsequential. It should be the Gotei 7.

Ironically the only group introduced after the first batch in the very first arc that I feel was appropriately numbered was the
Fullbringers there were exactly enough of them to give only the characters we care about a 1 on 1 fight and they were introduced to be villains in the end
. It's funny if Kubo has just followed the Oda formula of "I have X number of main characters, each arc I need to introduce the same number of new bad guys to give everyone a 1 on 1 fight and only the main charcters not support characters" many of Bleach's problems would go away.

Naruto is nowhere near the worst of the big three when it comes to big arcs.

Fake town arc was better then the current
shinobi war arc
at least the former every few chapters/episodes you got a new fight to keep things somewhat interesting. In the
shinobi war
we've literally watched the same fight go on and on for over a year

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
My favorite Shippuden ending is the 2nd one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCOcNyo9fd8

If only because the idea of an (alternate universe) school themed Naruto filler arc sounds awesome and they're still stupid for never following up on it.

Well that and it's the ending that famously "forgot" Tenten existed and later added her in, in a hilarious fashion...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Naruto's parent's death flashback during his training with Killer Bee, Obito's flashback to how he survived and became Tobi, Medara's flashback about how he became friends with the 1st and they created the leaf

Those are the only things that really interrupted the constant fighting and training for fighting that's happened in those 170 chapters I've mentioned.

You dont count.....huge parts of the plot including one that has been a mystery since the beginning of the entire series?

Fake town arc was better then the current
shinobi war arc
at least the former every few chapters/episodes you got a new fight to keep things somewhat interesting. In the
shinobi war
we've literally watched the same fight go on and on for over a year
Pfft.
There was a shit ton of different fights in the arc. Kishimoto practically revived half the world again. And the main fights in a lot of shonen always take longer than the others. I can't tell you how many times i've seen Luffy beat the shit out of someone, get the shit beaten out of him, then come back and finally beat the shit out of someone.

My favorite Shippuden ending is the 2nd one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCOcNyo9fd8

If only because the idea of an (alternate universe) school themed Naruto filler arc sounds awesome and they're still stupid for never following up on it.

Well that and it's the ending that famously "forgot" Tenten existed and later added her in, in a hilarious fashion...

So they pulled a Nintendo with Luigi on that games cover?

You mean half those fights that were off screened like
Kakashi vs the mist swordsman
or were characters we gave less fucks about then the average Bleach character like
the 2nd in command to the thunder kage getting a 1 on 1 fight
. Yeah there were good fights like
Sasuke and Itachi vs Kabuto and Shika/Ino/Cho vs their former master
but most of the fights were garbage.

foxuzamaki

yes yes yes I was gonna bring up that ending aswell, im all for a OVA or something for that

If Naruto were an American creation, it definitely would have happened. MLP recently did it, in fact.

Maybe the anime fleshes out a lot of the fights during the latest Naruto arc, but in the manga half of them are a god damn joke and the war has a whole has been a massive waste of potential.

Speaking of wasted potential, Rock Lee training despite being so badly injured and being told he can never be a ninja again. True bro status here

The Bancho Naruto look was also a costume in one of the games. Neat stuff.

I like that one.

To each their own.

It's not like I wanted
the war arc
to suck, I was hoping it'd FINALLY be a chance for characters like
Neji, Sakura, Rock Lee, etc
to finally DO SOMETHING after being pretty much background/sidelines for all of part 2, instead I got mostly characters I didn't care about at all getting one on one fights while characters I enjoy get off paneled fights or continue to do less then nothing.

foxuzamaki

The Bancho Naruto look was also a costume in one of the games. Neat stuff.

I like that one.

To each their own.

ending 15 is one of my favorites, it also correlates with one of the OG naruto OPs where he also fights other people using purely martial arts

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'd have liked an arc based on the idea of the last movie (except not horrible), basically giving everyone what they always wanted in the illusion world and them rejecting it because they didn't earn it or whatever.

foxuzamaki

oh for you guys catching up with naruto before shippuden, wherever your watching it on, do they have something called kakashi chronicles or something like that? if not, then you should go look for it, I highly recommend you watch it.

oh for you guys catching up with naruto before shippuden, wherever your watching it on, do they have something called kakashi chronicles or something like that? if not, then you should go look for it, I highly recommend you watch it.

Wasn't that adapted into Shippuden episodes?

Levyne

Banned
e5YuU.gif

It's not like I wanted
the war arc
to suck, I was hoping it'd FINALLY be a chance for characters like
Neji, Sakura, Rock Lee, etc
to finally DO SOMETHING after being pretty much background/sidelines for all of part 2, instead I got mostly characters I didn't care about at all getting one on one fights while characters I enjoy get off paneled fights or continue to do less then nothing.
Huh? A lot of the
characters had fights in the arc. The Ino-Shika-Cho team alone took on both the Gold and Silver Brothers and Asuma. Not to mention the other things the rest of the teams did. And if you wanted something like how Oda does where there's an exact number of enemies so that each member has a one on one fight, then it'd take forever. And besides, it's that would be rather unrealistic in a full-scale war.

TheChits

Wow I love this song. I should really force myself to watch shippuden sometime

foxuzamaki

Wasn't that adapted into Shippuden episodes?

your right, my mistake, why I got that confused is because in highschool I bought naruto volume 26 and volume 27 and they actually showed kakashi chronicles after the end of part 1 instead of like 4 years later in shippuden.

Whoops. Guess I just repeated what you said in that earlier post that I missed. Let's just agree to disagree. I quite enjoyed what Kishimoto has done so far and I certainly find it more realistic than having an oddly convenient amount of fighters for all the main (side) characters.

Huh? A lot of the

I acknowledge that Shika/Ino/Cho got one of the better fights in the arc and Gaara got to face his revived dad, those are really it for fights with characters I care about. The rest of the Kohona 11 and Sand Nin aka the characters I cared about did jack squat for most of the arc. Sakura punched fake Neji (ooh), Sai showed up to grab Naruto in one chapter (ooh), Neji died to save Hinata/Naruto, Rock Lee got to punch Medara then we cut away to Sasuke and co for 15 chapters and when we return Medara/Obito are just owning again.

I'm not saying Bleach's fake town arc was some masterpiece, but in comparison it craps all over what Naruto has done.

Whoops. Guess I just repeated what you said in that earlier post that I missed. Let's just agree to disagree. I quite enjoyed what Kishimoto has done so far and I certainly find it more realistic than having an oddly convenient amount of fighters for all the main (side) characters.

I'd always rather have a convenient number of characters for the main cast + support characters I care about to fight then to just let MC be the only character who can do anything of note. Nothing shouts AWESOME like 5 chapters in a row of characters going "wow Naruto is so amazing look how much he's grown"

your right, my mistake, why I got that confused is because in highschool I bought naruto volume 26 and volume 27 and they actually showed kakashi chronicles after the end of part 1 instead of like 4 years later in shippuden.

It made sense to have a segue story in the manga at that point to filler time during the "time skip"

Wow I love this song. I should really force myself to watch shippuden sometime
If only there was an action cartoon block of sorts that would air it. If only.

I acknowledge that Shika/Ino/Cho got one of the better fights in the arc and Gaara got to face his revived dad, those are really it for fights with characters I care about. The rest of the Kohona 11 and Sand Nin aka the characters I cared about did jack squat for most of the arc. Sakura punched fake Neji (ooh), Sai showed up to grab Naruto in one chapter (ooh), Neji died to save Hinata/Naruto, Rock Lee got to punch Medara then we cut away to Sasuke and co for 15 chapters and when we return Medara/Obito are just owning again.

I'm not saying Bleach's fake town arc was some masterpiece, but in comparison it craps all over what Naruto has done.
Read above.

Just like Dragon Ball Z!

Everyone was usually dead or unconscious during DBZ, generally it was more "survive til Goku gets here" then "wow look how awesome Goku has become". The "wow look how awesome Goku has become" happened more in Dragonball or the first half of the manga.

I'd always rather have a convenient number of characters for the main cast + support characters I care about to fight then to just let MC be the only character who can do anything of note. Nothing shouts AWESOME like 5 chapters in a row of characters going "wow Naruto is so amazing look how much he's grown"
:/ But
all of the side characters helped in taking out Obito. Random ninja from different villages helped. The problem with the system you mentioned is that would never have happened. Naruto would have been the only one to fight Obito and Madara.

And Schadenfreude, I'm saying I'd rather have what Oda does for Bleach not Naruto. What I wanted for Naruto was more things like the
Sasuke Retrieval Arc
where Naruto would team up with various characters from the Kohona 11 + Sand Nin and meet Ninja from other hidden villages to go on various missions. The story instead drops any notion of teamwork in favor of Naruto or Sasuke vs random Akatsuki memeber. The only characters who get scenes like that in part 2 are Team Shika/Ino/Cho and those are some of the best moments of part 2.

They were pretty much ineffectual, having a scene of the Kohona 11
hitting Obito with massive kamehamaha no jutsu
is not what I call great teamwork or being important. In the end it was all irrelevant as
Naruto won the fight with Talk no Jutsu, and he was only able to enter Obito's mind to do so once Sasuke arrived to show up.
. Honestly Goku using everyone's energy for a spirit bomb was a better use of the cast then what happened during the battle with
Obito

MikeMyers

Everyone was usually dead or unconscious during DBZ, generally it was more "survive til Goku gets here" then "wow look how awesome Goku has become". The "wow look how awesome Goku has become" happened more in Dragonball or the first half of the manga.

But it was still annoying as shit.

CAN GOHAN AND KRILLIN SURVIVE AGAINST NAPPPA LONG ENOUGH FOR GOKU TO SAVE THEM?

CAN GOHAN AND KRILLIN SURVIVE AGAINST RECOOME LONG ENOUGH FOR GOKU TO SAVE THEM?

CAN GOHAN AND KRILLIN SURVIVE AGAINST FRIEZA LONG ENOUGH FOR GOKU TO SAVE THEM?

And Schadenfreude, I'm saying I'd rather have what Oda does for Bleach not Naruto. What I wanted for Naruto was more things like the
Sasuke Retrieval Arc
where Naruto would team up with various characters from the Kohona 11 + Sand Nin and meet Ninja from other hidden villages to go on various missions. The story instead drops any notion of teamwork in favor of Naruto or Sasuke vs random Akatsuki memeber. The only characters who get scenes like that in part 2 are Team Shika/Ino/Cho and those are some of the best moments of part 2.
Now we're talking about Shippuden as a whole? I'll admit that the rest of Shippuden failed in giving the spotlight to the minor characters.

Seda

The only characters who get scenes like that in part 2 are Team Shika/Ino/Cho and those are some of the best moments of part 2.

Agree.

General/vague commentary: Having watched Bleach up to where it is currently in dub, Naruto to somewhere in the Pain arc, and One Piece up to where it is on Toonami, I think Naruto 'has its moments' whereas Bleach is mostly godawful and One Piece is mostly enjoyable.

Now we're talking about Shippuden as a whole? I'll admit that the rest of Shippuden failed in giving the spotlight to the minor characters.

I think all of Shippuden including the war did a poor job with that, the war I'll admit was better but still not anywhere near as much as it should have been especially for how damn long it was. The war proper started in chapter 515 and is still ongoing, you really want to say in 144 chapters you couldn't find 1-2 chapters for each of the Kohona 11, the 3 Sand Nin,
Sasuke and his trope
to all get 1 on 1 fights?

The best parts of Shippuden are ironically the various training arcs which happen every other arc, honestly I wouldn't mind if Naruto was just a story about him training because it's the one thing Kishi consistently writes really well. Course I do have a problem with the fact we time skipped so that Naruto would get older and be trained only to have him need to train more every bloody arc. If we were going to do that why time skip?

They were pretty much ineffectual, having a scene of the Kohona 11
hitting Obito with massive kamehamaha no jutsu
is not what I call great teamwork or being important. In the end it was all irrelevant as
Naruto won the fight with Talk no Jutsu, and he was only able to enter Obito's mind to do so once Sasuke arrived to show up.
. Honestly Goku using everyone's energy for a spirit bomb was a better use of the cast then what happened during the battle with
Obito
They also helped fight off the 10 tails off-shoots and pulled out the tailed beasts. Gaara is also now fighting Madara. So we had some fights for the minor characters and now they're helping with the main bad guy. They're doing much better than they would with the Oda method.

Agree.

General/vague commentary: Having watched Bleach up to where it is currently in dub, Naruto to somewhere in the Pain arc, and One Piece up to where it is on Toonami, I think Naruto 'has its moments' whereas Bleach is mostly godawful and One Piece is mostly enjoyable.

I've always said this for the big 3

One Piece is like a graph of Y=X, the longer it goes the better it gets

Naruto is like a graph of y = 1/x (1/x) where it rapidly gets better and better til it his the middle of the graph (end of part 1) then begins to descend in the second half (part 2)

Bleach is like a graph of y = sin (x) it goes back and forth from being good to being awful and can make you sick looking at it

Yes because that's a much better use of their Ninja powers then having them get 1 on 1 fights against
famous ninja from the past
, might as well have gotten a bunch of day labors probably be cheaper to have them
pull the 10 tails out of Obito
then having the
the armies of all 5 major Ninja villages

Agree.

this is how i would characterize the shows as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom