• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
gif from the Toonami Tumblr:

tumblr_mr9xyfCSTu1r5zq6ao1_400.gif
Nostalgia bomb. I remember seeing those promos when I was a kid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That was how I felt the moment Tobi showed up I went "oh that's going to be _____" and slowly began to realize that the reveal was probably meant to happen way earlier but kept getting pushed back to do Kishi being a hack writer

Pretty much. It would have been cool if it had happened earlier or if it was someone else entirely.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I remember when naruto was originally airing on toonami, once they ditched the abridged made up OP they finally went with Op3 and went up from there, I fucking fell inlove with fighting dreamers

Honestly it felt like they planned to reveal him the way Digimon S2 revealed the Digi Emperor's identity and make it a known quantity, instead it got stretched out into some big mystery when the answer was obvious from the beginning.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The first five openings are great.* Very different, very good at hyping up the show. Almost all of the endings during this period are good too.

Then Opening Six happens. Ugly animation, drab colors, awful song. I guess it is the perfect prelude to the filler hell that happens, though the rest of filler hell has great openings and endings.

*Some people don't like 3. I think it fits the mood of the series perfectly.

foxuzamaki

That was how I felt the moment Tobi showed up I went "oh that's going to be _____" and slowly began to realize that the reveal was probably meant to happen way earlier but kept getting pushed back to do Kishi being a hack writer

If it kept getting pushed back it most likely was on shonen jump/editors and not kishimoto

News for you old school Toonami fans: Crunchyroll has all of Ruronin Kenshin in the original BangZoom dub. For premium members only right now but it will be available to free members in January.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...-kenshin-anime

I saw this pretty cool announcement, glad to see more classic anime being added to CR's library.

Also how did Toonami handle this scene of Jiraya peeping on girls in bathing suits splashing each other with water? Was that censored?

The fifth Naruto opening is one of my very favorite anime openings. Hype song with some awesome visuals
This guy knows what's up.

News for you old school Toonami fans: Crunchyroll has all of Ruronin Kenshin in the original BangZoom dub. For premium members only right now but it will be available to free members in January.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/12/17-1/crunchyroll-streaming-rurouni-kenshin-anime
Huh. I never watched Ruronin Kenshin. I guess I have a new show to get to come January.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly it felt like they planned to reveal him the way Digimon S2 revealed the Digi Emperor's identity and make it a known quantity, instead it got stretched out into some big mystery when the answer was obvious from the beginning.

Well, it's not obvious from the first time they show him as a bumbling goofball, but your main point is on target.

He is hilarious though early on.

Well, it's not obvious from the first time they show him as a bumbling goofball, but your main point is on target.

He is hilarious though early on.

I thought it was obvious right away, what hinted towards it IMO

1- Obito is introduced in the segue story being part 1 and part 2, he "dies" and gives his eye to Kakashi who had just lost his.

Tobi is then introduced shortly afterwards in the present day, wearing a mask that only shows one eye, the same eye Obito would have had if he was still alive. In addition Tobi's name is an anagram for Obito if you removed one of the o's. Obito had 2 eyes and 2 o's, Tobi has 1 eye and 1 o.

foxuzamaki

Had to remind myself but YES naruto opening 5 is probably my favorite opening of all time, absolutely loved it, the visuals, the song, the hype, amazing.

The first five openings are great.* Very different, very good at hyping up the show. Almost all of the endings during this period are good too.

Then Opening Six happens. Ugly animation, drab colors, awful song. I guess it is the perfect prelude to the filler hell that happens, though the rest of filler hell has great openings and endings.

*Some people don't like 3. I think it fits the mood of the series perfectly.

iwt1MGBAM6K8g.gif

I thought it was obvious right away, what hinted towards it IMO

1- Obito is introduced in the segue story being part 1 and part 2, he "dies" and gives his eye to Kakashi who had just lost his.

Tobi is then introduced shortly afterwards in the present day, wearing a mask that only shows one eye, the same eye Obito would have had if he was still alive. In addition Tobi's name is an anagram for Obito if you removed one of the o's. Obito had 2 eyes and 2 o's, Tobi has 1 eye and 1 o.
Even though the reveal itself was obvious, the story behind it was pretty cool. I really liked how it tied up the loose ends about Rin.

Now you guys got me listening to the Naruto openings on Youtube. You know, as much as I enjoy myself some salted fries, I really wish we had gotten "Rocks!" Such a cool opening.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Out of curiosity, I checked when Tobi's first appearance was. Chapter 280.
His reveal? Chapter 599!
That shit went on for waaaaay too long.

Also, that feeling when you realize Part 2 Naruto has lasted way longer than Part 1 Naruto.

Other fun Naruto facts, the preparation for the
Shiobi War Arc
starts on chapter 489 and we're currently on chapter 659, meaning 170 chapters or about 25% of the manga has been 1 arc that is still ongoing.

foxuzamaki

Other fun Naruto facts, the preparation for the
Shiobi War Arc
starts on chapter 489 and we're currently on chapter 659, meaning 170 chapters or about 25% of the manga has been 1 arc that is still ongoing.

thats not entirely how that works, there are arcs inbetween, some pretty important arcs infact inbetween.

thats not entirely how that works, there are arcs inbetween, some pretty important arcs infact inbetween.

I'm not going to call character flashbacks separate arcs, it's all been part of this bigger event that's been 1/4 of the story. This also isn't counting the
5 Kage summit arc
which happens before hand. Everything from 489 onward is
preparation/training for the announced war and the war itself with a few character flashbacks involved
. Even if you want to count strictly fight it's been about 120 chapters

foxuzamaki

I'm not going to call character flashbacks separate arcs, it's all been part of this bigger event that's been 1/4 of the story. This also isn't counting the
5 Kage summit arc
which happens before hand. Everything from 489 onward is
preparation/training for the announced war and the war itself with a few character flashbacks involved
. Even if you want to count strictly fight it's been about 120 chapters

im not talking about character flashbacks, i dont actually know what you mean when you refer to character flashbacks

im not talking about character flashbacks, i dont actually know what you mean when you refer to character flashbacks

Naruto's parent's death flashback during his training with Killer Bee, Obito's flashback to how he survived and became Tobi, Medara's flashback about how he became friends with the 1st and they created the leaf

Those are the only things that really interrupted the constant fighting and training for fighting that's happened in those 170 chapters I've mentioned.

I liked the Aizen stuff until the Fake Town, at that point it felt like a million random characters having battle.

That's because it was million random characters having battle, that wasn't really Aizen's fault though it was Kubo's for making the Gotei 13 so damn big (should have been half the size it was) and for having the Vizored exist at all (should have just been 1 character).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's because it was million random characters having battle, that wasn't really Aizen's fault though it was Kubo's for making the Gotei 13 so damn big (should have been half the size it was) and for having the Vizored exist at all (should have just been 1 character).

Kubo has admitted his flaw of "creating a bunch of characters when he has no idea what to do next".
But yeah, Most of those characters are inconsequential. It should be the Gotei 7.

And Kubo is still doing it with the Wandenreich having at least 26 members, one for each letter of the English alphabet. Draaaaaaagging the arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom