• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mention of Prince of Tennis reminds me of another show about a kid stuck in a video game that aired on Toonami. Was MÄR any good? I only saw a couple of episodes and I don't remember it that well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
MAR was....weird at times. Really annoying that 1.) They never finished it, & 2.) It seemed that they skipped a few episodes here & there (not sure if it was edited for content).

At least it wasn't Duel Masters....bleh.

& now I'm mad at the fact they never finished Zatch Bell either....or Rave Master.....

Going back to Bleach for a second, I genuinely think the Fullbring arc was MUCH better than the current manga arc. I mean, it wasn't good or anything, and a lot of shit was just flat out not explained at all, but at least it told a story and had something resembling structure.

I really don't understand what people see in the current arc. Is it because of the promise that it's ending? So far the whole blood war arc has been a rushed as hell clusterfuck. The arc didn't even have any build up, foreshadowing, or world building to establish the coming conflict. Just straight from zero to "bullshit side characters are already in mid-battle against people you've never heard of and have no reason to give a shit about" IMMEDIATELY. It's like if the Soul Society arc skipped the 20 episodes of getting to know Rukia and then jumped over the whole "getting into Seireitei" part and had Ganju fighting Yumichika right off the bat. Or if the whole Arrancar/Hueco Mundo thing skipped over all the stuff in the world of the living, Ichigo's rivalry with Grimmjow, and Orihime's choosing to leave and launched straight into Ichigo fighting that ridiculous matador dude for no reason.

I just am happy they're blazing through fights, like you said though the fullbring was a lot better. Self contained, told a complete story with decent fights, decent if obvious trolls, and good bad ass moments for Ichigo. Really that's all I want from Bleach anymore good fights, good bad ass moments, and good troll moments. Expecting the writing to be good or the charactes to be developed is just something I've given up on in Bleach.

Moaradin

They only messed up Ippo's voice, everyone else was perfect.

I only heard a little of it before I turned it off, but it was pretty much early 2000's dub quality where everyone hams it up as much as possible. Sendo and Mashiba sounded like Saturday mourning cartoon villains.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time but my first impressions weren't good lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The post DBZ explosion in licensing was a hilarious time to be an anime fan. Everything shonen was being licensed at ridiculous rates no matter how dumb it was. Some (read:most) of them had awful dubs, tons were unfinished. Toonami still did their best to pick up most of them however and the early 2000's smelled of corpses and graveyard soil from the stink of these shows.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Did toonami eve finish BO-BO -BO -BO -BO

They did.
The unfortunate part is that the anime doesn't cover the entire story, it was cancelled in Japan for being "too violent" (seriously). If you want to catch up with the manga... Viz didn't even finish that. Just another reason Viz is crap...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I only heard a little of it before I turned it off, but it was pretty much early 2000's dub quality where everyone hams it up as much as possible. Sendo and Mashiba sounded like Saturday mourning cartoon villains.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time but my first impressions weren't good lol

It's been a while since I've seen it, but only Ippo's voice really bothered me at the time.

Mashiba is a Saturday morning cartoon villain though.

I just am happy they're blazing through fights, like you said though the fullbring was a lot better. Self contained, told a complete story with decent fights, decent if obvious trolls, and good bad ass moments for Ichigo. Really that's all I want from Bleach anymore good fights, good bad ass moments, and good troll moments. Expecting the writing to be good or the charactes to be developed is just something I've given up on in Bleach.

There's only one troll moment I want out of Bleach. Only one.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I remember that show. I also remember it being weird as hell. Something tells me it was censored in English.

From what I recall, the only part that was censored was the character of "Service Man", a man in a white sheet whose entire gimmick is that he lifts it and shows what's underneath. And yes, he was a recurring gag. It's that kind of show.

How the fuck

Apparently, the slapstick was too much.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bo-bo-bo is easily the weirdest show aired on Toonami and definitely in contention with some of the you have got to be high shows on Adult Swim.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It was pretty damn great.

So was Duel Masters even though we had someone slagging it earlier. It's an intentional parody dub and its amazing for it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember that show. I also remember it being weird as hell. Something tells me it was censored in English.
I think there was a few scenes taken out, but for the most part, some of the jokes were changed due to cultural differences, so they changed them to something Americans would get (& I think blood was removed, though that might have just been something only in the manga). & not gonna lie, it was one of my favorite shows because of how insane it got, yet was fully aware of how stupid it could be. Granted, I can see why people disliking it for that same reason, but you could tell they had fun just thinking up the next crazy thing that could happen.

Also, I laughed for a good 5 minutes straight when reading the manga when I turned the page & saw THIS.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The post DBZ explosion in licensing was a hilarious time to be an anime fan. Everything shonen was being licensed at ridiculous rates no matter how dumb it was. Some (read:most) of them had awful dubs, tons were unfinished. Toonami still did their best to pick up most of them however and the early 2000's smelled of corpses and graveyard soil from the stink of these shows.

Ah yes, those were the halcyon days where something like Heat Guy J was commanding the same price as Fullmetal Alchemist.

bigkrev

It was pretty damn great.

So was Duel Masters even though we had someone slagging it earlier. It's an intentional parody dub and its amazing for it.

Oh god, I loved Duel Masters.

Did it ever actually air on Toonami though? I recall it airing on a Saturday 7pm-11:30pm block in the early/mid 2000s with stuff like Rurouni Kenshin

LOLDSFAN

Thus began the stereotype that all dubs are bad and the Japanese VA's are always superior.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh god, I loved Duel Masters.

Did it ever actually air on Toonami though? I recall it airing on a Saturday 7pm-11:30pm block in the early/mid 2000s with stuff like Rurouni Kenshin

That block was a Toonami block when Duel Masters was on it. It used to be Saturday Video Entertainment System.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That existed before Toonami.

If anything the money flowing around from the boom led to standards in the industry going up and up.

Even the worst US dub products these days are above everything but the best dubs done before DBZ.

Hell DBZ Kai blows the original FUNimation DBZ out of the water when it comes to voice acting quality and its largely the exact same people.

you guys hyped for Shamballa? Nina is.

tumblr_mxq1iyzIJ41t7py5eo1_500.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hey speaking of sport anime what do you guys think of free i think it could be a good decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom