• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Some people are nitpicky but they did a legitimately good job with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh and did pretty ok with a couple of other jobs, TMNT, Kirby come to mind immediately.

Jarate

Banned
Some people are nitpicky but they did a legitimately good job with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh and did pretty ok with a couple of other jobs, TMNT, Kirby come to mind immediately.

The dubbing for those shows was decently done, considering pokemon and yugioh are incredibly aimed at kids, but they still censored both shows unecessarily.

I will argue against 4kidz 4ever

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not to get into another SAO hatefest, but to describe it:

I didn't mind SAO's writing. I thought Accel World's writing, plot and chain of events was pretty awful. I really did not like it at all. There were events, especially towards the end of the series, that just simply did not make any sense at all and would have been easily solved by anyone with half a shred of brain power or self-esteem.

A lot of people looked at SAO as the penultimate mary-sue, but I really think Accel World takes the cake in that regard. The entire series revolves around a morbidly obese kid with massive self esteem issues having essentially a gaming genius goddess throw herself at him for no reason whatsoever. No matter how he treats her or himself or is useless throughout the entire series, she still stands beside him in some loyalty slave fantasy.

Wow, that sounds absolutely horrible. I pray to god we don't get that one.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, this sums it up. At least with Pokemon, there wasn't a ton to censor (save for the obvious JPN to ENG swapping). I think the main issue was from shows that had more censoring to them (i.e One Piece).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hell Yu Gi Oh gets pretty dark and they actually did an admirable job of kiddifying that one.

PROTIP: SHADOW REALM. Everything is SHADOW REALM.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I start up Danganronpa 2, hoping to get the prologue done before I went to college, & the first two voices I hear are Johnny Yong Bosch & Bryce Papenbrook.

I WILL NEVER ESCAPE THEM.

Funimation seriously needs to do more games.
And not just DBZ and Borderlands

Was 4kidz ever good?

Strictly in terms of voice acting/localization:

god tier
Pokemon
YGO
YGO GX
TMNT

good tier
Fighting Foodons
Ultimate Muscle

meh tier
Sonic X
Kirby Right Back At Ya
F-Zero GP Legend

OMG BURN IT WITH FIRE tier
One Piece
Mew Mew Power
Magical DoReMi
Chaotic
Shaman King

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I...basically agree with Gucci's list except that King DeDeDe pushes Kirby up a tier.

EDIT: Also with the caveat that it's still 4kids and that means they probably butchered aspects of the story to get it to be kid friendly. Strictly voice acting compared to other shows at that time. 4 Kids Pokémon by today's standards would be only a slightly above average show. Same with YGO.

Raxus

You know it's going to happen, just like Fairy Tail eventually making its way onto the block. There's nothing we can do to stop it. Nothing.

If this were true we would all embrace the greatness that is Tiger Bunny by now.

Hunter x Hunter - Episode 145

The Election arc is pretty God Tier and is a great point to leave the series at when we reach the conclusion in a few episodes.

Pretty good list Gucci.

Gorillaz

I remember when yugi ducked the magician guy in battle city and the gimmick was they were chained by the ankle, and each time there life points go down the shadow disk would move closer to them and banish them to the shadow realm

Years later I realized 4kids censored it and it was actually a saw, which makes more sense

Man God

Non-Canon Member
See the shadow realm shit is just as creepy though, you're getting your soul banished to hell after all. That's why it's a great move to avoid the censors.

Gorillaz

See the shadow realm shit is just as creepy though, you're getting your soul banished to hell after all. That's why it's a great move to avoid the censors.
I assume it means hell. I remember mai being stuck in the shadow realm and it was scary friend.

Strictly in terms of voice acting/localization:

god tier
Pokemon
YGO
YGO GX
TMNT

good tier
Fighting Foodons
Ultimate Muscle

meh tier
Sonic X
Kirby Right Back At Ya
F-Zero GP Legend

OMG BURN IT WITH FIRE tier
One Piece
Mew Mew Power
Magical DoReMi
Chaotic
Shaman King

Drop down GX to meh tier, bump up Shaman King to meh tier, bump up sonic x and kirby right back at ya to good tier

But overall I agree

Gorillaz

I warmed up to Yugioh GX after its original airing. It was a more straight forward approach to dueling with not as much bullshit as OG

I liked how it ended with jaden v yugi in a "pass the torch" way

jaden deck was more flexible but he lost just because it was yugi

Jarate

Banned
I warmed up to Yugioh GX after its original airing. It was a more straight forward approach to dueling with not as much bullshit as OG

I liked how it ended with jaden v yugi in a "pass the torch" way

jaden deck was more flexible but he lost just because it was yugi

Jaden didn't believe in the goddamn OP shit that was believing in the heart of the cards.

Yu Gi Oh cards are a special diety in that universe that defy probability in any way. Yugi's deck was terribly put together, but goddamn, did hi god give him eternal strength

What power did his millennium item give other then being able to send people to the shadow realm. Did it just give him the power to be more confident?

If there's one thing 4kids could do right, it was opening themes. Pokemon is the most iconic, but I'd say GX is my favorite.

LETS GO!

tumblr_m04d69oGX11qd6f3f.gif

YUGIOH GX...GENERATION NEXT!

GAME ONNNN GETCHA YA GAME ONNN, COME ON YA BETTER PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHTTTT!

[GUITAR RIFF INTENSIFIES]

Jarate

Banned
If there's one thing 4kids could do right, it was opening themes. Pokemon is the most iconic, but I'd day GX is my favorite.

LETS GO!

tumblr_m04d69oGX11qd6f3f.gif

YUGIOH GX...GENERATION NEXT!

GAME ONNNN GETCHA YA GAME ONNN, COME ON YA BETTER PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHTTTT!

[GUITAR RIFF INTENSIFIES]

I know it's a sin too like anything from the 4kidz One Piece Dub, but goddamn, the opening is hilariously awesome.

BatDan

I know it's a sin too like anything from the 4kidz One Piece Dub, but goddamn, the opening is hilariously awesome.

I'm man enough to admit that Zoro's 4Kids voice was decent.
He just got saddled with some of the worst lines in the series.

He was also the voice of Guts in Berserk (both the show and the movies).

No ratings today?

Labor Day was yesterday. They'll probably be here tomorrow.
I'm not expecting much, it was a marathon.

Jarate

Banned
I'm man enough to admit that Zoro's 4Kids voice was decent.
He just got saddled with some of the worst lines in the series.

He was also the voice of Guts in Berserk (both the show and the movies).

I think one of the things is that they had a close version of the voices, but the actors didn't really show much enthusiasm. VA's are just like regular actors, a bad director will pull good work out of said voice actor

Although, Sanji's voice was a horrible crime against humanity. I could see if they wanted to give him a french accent, but why a brooklyn accent? Did they really need more Brooklyn Rage

The original Japanese OP for GX is way better then it's US opening

Also I can't give any credit to 4kids GX dub because it never finished dubbing the series and didn't have the Yugi vs Jaden duel which is one of the top 5 duels in all version of the anime combined.

Jarate

Banned
Who the fuck decided to make GX a thing though. Why did Kaiba make an institute for learning a simple card game that the characters in the show suck at?

Like, I understand if you wanted a new character and all, but man, that shit was stupid.

Im sure the newer versions of Yu Gi Oh are much stupider though

BatDan

Who the fuck decided to make GX a thing though. Why did Kaiba make an institute for learning a simple card game that the characters in the show suck at?

Like, I understand if you wanted a new character and all, but man, that shit was stupid.

Im sure the newer versions of Yu Gi Oh are much stupider though

CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES
People say it's actually not bad
CARD GAMES IN SPACE
I hear less good things about this one
CARD GAMES WITH HIPPOS! ... I don't even know.

Moaradin

I was so mad when GX never finished on Cartoon Network. I was watching every episode that aired. I remember I didn't even like it that much, but I was big into Yugioh back then.

Jarate

Banned
I was so mad when GX never finished on Cartoon Network. I was watching every episode that aired. I remember I didn't even like it that much, but I was big into Yugioh back then.

I stopped watching when the yellow jacket dude had like a duel in a jungle.

im glad i didnt commit to the series only to see it end without the actually good ending.

In the context of the YGO world dueling is a major sport, so it makes sense for their to be a duel school the way their are schools for real sports like football/soccer and baseball.

Yu Gi Oh 5Ds is legit amazing, look past the whole "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES" and ignore the god awful dub as the original Japanese version is legit amazing. It's the best overall series of YGO period yes it's better then the original YGO.

ZeXal starts off slow... really REALLY slow and doesn't really pick up and become good for awhile. It's by far the weakest overall series. If I have one positive to say it's the first show to actually fully use the real world rules IE monsters have to be set face down in defense mode and flip summon/effects are a thing that happen.

Arc V has been good in the same way GX season 1 starts off good, going for a similar angle of focusing on the world of dueling but with more of an action element to it which works pretty well.

I'd say

5DS > YGO > GX > Arc V > ZeXal

With potential for Arc V to move past GX depending on how things play out

So I start up Danganronpa 2, hoping to get the prologue done before I went to college, & the first two voices I hear are Johnny Yong Bosch & Bryce Papenbrook.

I WILL NEVER ESCAPE THEM.

At the very least, it's pretty much Papenbrook's best performance (and role) yet.

Raxus

The only thing I would have paid to see is how 4Kids would have to work their way around (VAGUE ONE PIECE SPOILERS!)
a certain characters backstory in One Piece.

Straw Hats: Oh him? We...uh blew him up...

BatDan

The only thing I would have paid to see is how 4Kids would have to work their way around (VAGUE ONE PIECE SPOILERS!)
a certain characters backstory in One Piece.

Straw Hats: Oh him? We...uh blew him up...

That would require editing acrobatics not seen since Power Rangers Season 3.
Or they just wouldn't give a fuck and pretend they met Laboon off-screen or something.

Raxus

That would require editing acrobatics not seen since Power Rangers Season 3.
Or they just wouldn't give a fuck and pretend they met Laboon off-screen or something.

Seeing what they did to Nami's Mom below your post makes me think they would do something even more ridiculous.

I wonder how many kids were confused why Nami never rescued her Mom after they defeated Arlong.

Strangely enough even the unedited version of the picture is censored compared to what actually happens in the manga.

BatDan

Seeing what they did to Nami's Mom below your post makes me think they would do something even more ridiculous.

I wonder how many kids were confused why Nami never rescued her Mom after they defeated Arlong.

I do recall Nojiko inferring she "passed away in the dungeon" or something.
Makes me wonder if they had a "dungeon" on the ship prepared.

Though that's not the only insane edit during Arlong Park
Take the scene where Nami "kills" Usopp. It's not revealed for a few episodes that she actually stabbed her own hand to make it look like she killed him.
In the 4Kids dub, they added all this dialogue about "Usopp's rubber knife", and kept hammering it in that "THIS IS RUBBER, NOTHING VIOLENT IS HAPPENING". It's beyond silly.

If 4Kids continued, Usopp
wouldn't get the badass moment he just got in Chapter 758
because they purposely went out of their way to avoid showing awesome Usopp moments, just to keep him pure comic relief. The Usopp vs. Chew fight was severely edited, removing the "I won't run away" speech he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom