• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
zgFbjqI.jpg

Dragon Age is a success among Toonami viewers confirmed!

daveo42

Banned
BOONDOCKS, THE | 10:00 PM | 942 | 0.4
BOONDOCKS, THE | 10:30 PM | 1069 | 0.5
Family Guy | 11:00 PM | 1402 | 0.7
SPACE DANDY | 11:30 PM | 1138 | 0.5
ATTACK ON TITAN | 12:00 AM | 1232 | 0.6
ATTACK ON TITAN | 12:30 AM | 1140 | 0.6
ATTACK ON TITAN | 1:00 AM | 1054 | 0.6
ATTACK ON TITAN | 1:30 AM | 941 | 0.5
ATTACK ON TITAN | 2:00 AM | 871 | 0.5
ATTACK ON TITAN | 2:30 AM | 825 | 0.4

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/09/03/saturday-cable-ratings-college-football-wins-night-doctor-who-sportscenter-attack-on-titan-more/298972/

I'm surprised AoT did that well in a marathon over Labor Day. Those are some solid numbers there.

Gorillaz

I think it just shows that the audience for a mature anime like Bebop is much smaller then the audience for your otaku bait of the season anime. Otaku bait can have any of the following waifu/husbando, incest under/over tones, male or female fanservice, harem, comedy, gary/mary-sue protagonist

Its the reason why a show like Blue Exorcist did better then a show like Black Lagoon.
Lol I know I was just joking :p

I find it interesting that mature like anime dont catch on that well in the genre I mean shonen does well all the time and your slice of life shows shows some life often but the seinen(?) Stuff doesn't catch on until after their initial airing. I kno people look atanime as an escape from reality but there has to still be some interest in the more hard edge stuff somewhere

Jarate

Banned
Lol I know I was just joking :

I find it interesting that mature like anime dont catch on that well in the genre I mean shonen does well all the time and your slice of life shows shows some life often but the seinen(?) Stuff doesn't catch on until after their initial airing. I kno people look atanime as an escape from reality but there has to still be some interest in the more hard edge stuff somewhere

Mature shows only appeal to otaku's and adults

Adults in Japan are too busy working themselves to death, and Otakus are much more willing to buy 600 Dollar Pillows of their waifu.

Black Lagoon shouldve been marketed in the west somehow, that show is basically a western action movie.

Gorillaz

Mature shows only appeal to otaku's and adults

Adults in Japan are too busy working themselves to death, and Otakus are much more willing to buy 600 Dollar Pillows of their waifu.

Black Lagoon shouldve been marketed in the west somehow, that show is basically a western action movie.
It basically is marketed for the west, its using western catchphrases, and most of its dialogue is western pop culture.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lol I know I was just joking :p

The interest is there, but the people who are into that kind of thing don't always follow anime on the regular. It takes time for word of mouth to reach them. Also shows like that are usually sleepers, they don't generate a lot of initial hype based on art or premise alone so it takes time for people to realize it's awesome. It's why stuff like Bebop and Black Lagoon develop such cult followings and stay popular for years while the fan-service show of the season doesn't. Quality will win out over the long term, but short term fan-service wins.

Jarate

Banned
I'll try and look up sales charts later. I may just be pessimistic. I really want more adult anime to take off.

Im just glad we got the little we do

As much as Anime is mostly shit, people should really appreciate that a lot of really mature and adult cartoons are coming out here. I still think there's a stigma attached to anime, but I'd be comfortable showing Black Lagoon to everyone. It's the one true area where people can get adult action cartoons. Although im assuming it's a smaller niche then i want it to be ;-;

"Adult" shows do bad ratings wise because Animation is more or less viewed the same way in Japan as it is in America, so the audience for such shows is gonna be pretty small. If you want to tell mature stories and such, Manga is a better medium for it since that much better accepted by the general audience. This is the reason why there are so many manga's in such a wide array of genres, because its socially acceptable to read it (so long as you don't deviate from your demographic).

The interest is there, but the people who are into that kind of thing don't always follow anime on the regular. It takes time for word of mouth to reach them. Also shows like that are usually sleepers, they don't generate a lot of initial hype based on art or premise alone so it takes time for people to realize it's awesome. It's why stuff like Bebop and Black Lagoon develop such cult followings and stay popular for years while the fan-service show of the season doesn't. Quality will win out over the long term, but short term fan-service wins.

But Sword Art Online will be popular

Forever

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But Sword Art Online will be popular

Forever

Nah, it's probably going to be fondly remembered by some and widely forgotten like most flash in the pan events in Japan.

AoT, which in some ways I find worse, is the one with a real chance of having lasting social cache, which is terrifying.

Jarate

Banned
Nah, it's probably going to be fondly remembered by some and widely forgotten like most flash in the pan events in Japan.

AoT, which in some ways I find worse, is the one with a real chance of having lasting social cache, which is terrifying.

Meh, I think people will forget about it over time

Do people look at Naruto and Bleach overall as good things. Attack on Titan reminds me a lot like those shows, wehre it has a premise that sounds really cool, but the execution is horrid.

Which is where One Piece comes in. If any anime or manga will be looked upon with huge amounts of nostalgia, it's One Piece. And rightfully so. One Piece is probably the best Shonen ever made (I still like DBZ more, but that's blind nostalgia)

I'll try and look up sales charts later. I may just be pessimistic. I really want more adult anime to take off.

There's a few popular adult stuff. It's just that a lot of it doesn't cross over to the West all the time.

I agree with this.

Reminds of the days when K-On! and Haruhi were stupidly popular, but fast-forward to now and there's barely anything from both shows.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I sold my 3G Vita a few months ago at a decent profit (Got it for closeout at 125, almost never used it and had the box and all the paper work, sold it for 240) and turned that into a Vita Slim, BL2, FFX/X-2, War of the Lions, FF IV complete, FF origins and Danganronpa 1 only throwing in like 30 more dollars.

I'll buy DR 2 when its 20 or less. Also waiting for a sale on Shinovi Versus. What I'm really after is a sale on Tactics Ogre as I only have the PSX and UMD PSP version. That's...about it this gen for Vita. Sad fate for the system.

EDIT: Bleach and Naruto are a step behind Gundam/DBZ/One Piece as absolute cultural artifacts but they still will have way more cache than SAO when it's all over. AoT could hit that Bleach/Naruto tier easily.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I blame Endless Eight's horrible execution as to why Haruhi stopped being popular. Nobody wanted to buy DVDs of what's basically the exact same 8 episodes with small differences.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Meh, I think people will forget about it over time

Do people look at Naruto and Bleach overall as good things. Attack on Titan reminds me a lot like those shows, wehre it has a premise that sounds really cool, but the execution is horrid.

Which is where One Piece comes in. If any anime or manga will be looked upon with huge amounts of nostalgia, it's One Piece. And rightfully so. One Piece is probably the best Shonen ever made (I still like DBZ more, but that's blind nostalgia)

AoT managed to latch onto the zombie craze. The idea is well put together, it's execution is horrid though. Not at all unlike Naruto.

It's always the quality shows that stick around.

There's a few popular adult stuff. It's just that a lot of it doesn't cross over to the West all the time.

I agree with this.

Reminds of the days when K-On! and Haruhi were stupidly popular, but fast-forward to now and there's barely anything from both shows.

Haruhi had the second season and movie a little while back. If it hadn't been for the Endless Eight trolling it would still be stupidly popular. Four episodes a DVD and having 2 DVDs with just Endless Eight soured the fanbase, which is sad because the movie was excellent. Frankly that popularity is deserved to some degree, despite how it looks on the surface it isn't all that brain dead or lifeless like K-On. It's not an adult series by any rate, but as far as highschool-type shows go it's easily up there quality wise.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I blame Endless Eight's horrible execution as to why Haruhi stopped being popular. Nobody wanted to buy DVDs of what's basically the exact same 8 episodes with small differences.

The movie though, the movie is PERFECT. I'd mark out like crazy if they made another anime, like Andrex and DRRRR.

Gorillaz

Interesting takes on popularity of anime and manga. Black lagoon probably didnt have shit going for it till years later. Like the breaking bad effect

I can see AoT going the distance.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The movie though, the movie is PERFECT. I'd mark out like crazy if they made another anime, like Andrex and DRRRR.

Amen brother.

Interesting takes on popularity of anime and manga. Black lagoon probably didnt have shit going for it till years later. Like the breaking bad effect

AoT caught on the zombie craze. It's not going to have infinite staying power, but it's not going to be SAO tier forgotten either.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

BB was stupidly popular from the beginning, just by middle of the road cable standards.

The real analogy is The Wire. Black Lagoon is the Wire of Anime.

Crocodile

Haruhi had the second season and movie a little while back. If it hadn't been for the Endless Eight trolling it would still be stupidly popular. Four episodes a DVD and having 2 DVDs with just Endless Eight soured the fanbase, which is sad because the movie was excellent. Frankly that popularity is deserved to some degree, despite how it looks on the surface it isn't all that brain dead or lifeless like K-On. It's not an adult series by any rate, but as far as highschool-type shows go it's easily up there quality wise.

I know that we as NeoGaffers as a whole like to shit on the "suits" who control the money in entertainment industries but this is one of those times where I gotta ask, WHERE WERE THE SUITS? Endless 8 was one of those things that nobody who liked money would have thought to themselves, "this sounds like a GREAT idea!" Sometimes it's ok to have some one with some financial sense around to say "considering this is a commercial product, it would be nice if we tried not to intetionally torpedo it!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In fact let's have a Christmas TOONAMI party and watch Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya as a one off thing sometime in December.

Jarate

Banned
Honestly, i'd be willing to stream a pseudo Toonami and air shows if Toonami ever stopped airing for you guys. I doubt it would be legal, but damnit, we have to fight the man

Gorillaz

BB was stupidly popular from the beginning, just by middle of the road cable standards.

The real analogy is The Wire. Black Lagoon is the Wire of Anime.
Depends. Breaking bad season 1 didnt really have shit going for it and season 2 helped spice it up. S3 was when it really got bif and season 4 pushed it in mainstream

Idk if I would call it the wire of anime. Literally all of the hype the wire had were from 2 years after it ended. It gained its reputation w aaay later. Black lagoon must have had something going for it ratings wise..or did it?It definitely would have kicked ass if modern Toonami was around then.

I really dont think anime has a The Wire equivalent for gaining popularity long after it ended as fast as it did

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hey, can we keep the DR2 stuff out of here? I'm trying to go in unspoiled and this isn't helping. Had to mute people on Twitter too.
Agreed. I've gotten lucky & had nothing of both games spoiled for me, so I wish to continue that now that I finally have DR2. I understand some stuff might not be considered a spoiler & are being careful of not posting actual spoiler content, but seeing a character in Chapter # (excluding Prologue or 1) kind of takes away the suspense if they'll be the next victim or killer, ESPECIALLY if a trial happens & the game might be all "HEY, maybe it was THIS person! Think about it!".

No offense & I know ya don't mean any harm, bigkrev, but with how spoiler-heavy the DR series is, better safe than sorry.

& then a bunch of slice-of-life involving a group of girls shows popped up. I don't even know why I bothered with A Channel, ugh. You can pretty much figure out which trope each girl is.

....though I will admit Love Lab was rather funny.

& one of these days, I should watch that Haruhi movie. I still stand by the opinion Endless Eight would have worked SO much better if it was about 3 episodes long. I liked the idea in theory of playing with the viewers mind, but 8 episodes is just too damn tedious and isn't something people want to have on DVD, especially considering Japan sells DVDs that don't contain as many episodes compared to the US. Plus it would've helped if they made the episodes more different. I remember they stated what happened in some of the loops, but never actually showed them doing it. Why not have each episode focus on different things that happened? Yes, the small touches were kind of nice, like the different clothing designs, but they needed more things to show us the ##,###th loop was different compared to the ##,###rd one.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The producers of the anime had a pretty good idea that season 2 would torpedo the show but they had to get a few key episodes in there before the movie released, one episode in particular is vital to the movie.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm in chapter 2, and the discussion about videogames is slaying me

Also, the game is tackling fun, important subjects
d18dfb3fd618f077594acaa0e2d4a33c_zpsf223e69a.jpg
Yep second chapter too.
That line was 100% random and i was so confused when she said it.
Its not as weird as the random AVRIL LAVIGNE shoutout. Apparently thats from the Japanese version?

So it can be said that SAO has had more of an impact then bebop?

Those reviews of SAO being the smartest anime in years might be true friends.

SAO appeals to a much larger demographic. We look at it as a male power fantasy or harem, and at the core that's what the show aims to be, but it has this weird ability to cross gender lines despite the overt sexism. So yeah, it appeals to adolescent/adult males, but also young girls. The serialized light novels are HUGE in Japan, although I can't speak for their popularity in the West.

The producers of the anime had a pretty good idea that season 2 would torpedo the show but they had to get a few key episodes in there before the movie released, one episode in particular is vital to the movie.
I do wonder why they just sort of stopped after Disappearance. There is still enough material to at least make a 1 cour series. I mean the whole shit with Hirano has more or less blew over and the Yuk Nagato adaptation shows that KyoAni haven't forgotten about the series. I think enough time has passed that any ill will against Endless 8 has been forgotten as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I do wonder why they just sort of stopped after Disappearance. There is still enough material to at least make a 1 cour series.

Shit, there's enough left for two or more full seasons. I think the rumor at the time was they didn't like working on it and wanted to quit. Hence Endless Eight.

SAO appeals to a much larger demographic. We look at it as a male power fantasy or harem, and at the core that's what the show aims to be, but it has this weird ability to cross gender lines despite the overt sexism. So yeah, it appeals to adolescent/adult males, but also young girls. The serialized light novels are HUGE in Japan, although I can't speak for their popularity in the West.

SAO is like Naruto in that the author had a great idea for a story but has absolutely no knowledge of writing or story structure.

Honestly, i'd be willing to stream a pseudo Toonami and air shows if Toonami ever stopped airing for you guys. I doubt it would be legal, but damnit, we have to fight the man

This already exists.

Yo I'm gonna ask you guys not talk about Danganronpa 2 in here either as I don't even have a Vita yet but it's a game I plan to play when I get one and I don't want to be spoiled on it either.

Sword Art Online and Accel World are my guilty pleasures. You can tell AC was written after SAO, the writing is much better, although that isn't really saying much. There's still plot holes and nonsensical BS power ups but hey, at least ALL the girls down fawn over the main character..too bad he's completely unlikable.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If it were up to GAF Idris Elba would play every part in every movie, even the women.

And the video game tie-in would be a collab between From Software and Platinum Games

... GOD DAMN IT I WANT THAT NOW

bigkrev

Yep second chapter too.
That line was 100% random and i was so confused when she said it.
Its not as weird as the random AVRIL LAVIGNE shoutout. Apparently thats from the Japanese version?

Speculation:
all the girls in this game are lesbians. I'm only half kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom