• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Full ratings are out, lowest Titan did was at 5:30 with over 600k still watching, I don't think 5:30 has been that high since InuYasha aired

Edit: Heck the entire rest of the night including 5am was 700k+

Attack on Titan stomped ratings

http://toonamifaithful.com/toonami-ratings-for-august-30th-2014/
But AoT is too dramatic to be good!

(I still rest my case toonamigaf dislikes shows the world loves. :p Then again we also hate terrible shows hi blue exorcist)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"New School Term, Renji Has Come to the Material World?!"

0FCwEPol.jpg

Itsygo awakens to the sound of his alarm clock, he's back home in the mortal world. His dad attempts to surprise him with a welcome home kick through the window, but Ichi tells him to shut it and starts getting dressed.

s7ldFZMl.jpg

No way to treat your dad, bro. They fight as Yuzu calls for breakfast.

MRI1YEHl.jpg

Bleach 64, confederate soul reaper. Ichigo bruised his papa. Karin noticed that Itsygo was working out during his trip as he's gotten a bit swole since they last saw him. Itsygo is embarrassed by this but Karin continues noting that the Don Kanonji creeper has been looking for him all summer, that's quite the continuity for Non-Canon™ Bleach! His dad kicks him in the face while both are seated at the table.

PQFg4QN.gif

At school Itsygo shows that he spent most of the summer learning from Stan Hansen how to do the western lariat which he applies liberally to Kago I think his name is? Mizuiro also greets him but like a normal human being and they start discussing their summer as they walk into the classroom.

zX9B0Tjl.jpg

Aww Shit it's Chad, Orihime and Tatsuki! Is this really filler (You bet your ass it is) Ichigo was too busy to be home this summer, says Tatsuki. Summer camp romance between a tanned Ichigo and Chad? Nope. Orihime lied about visiting her relatives. When Tatsuki inquires further Orihime mentions the Edo style town they all visited, period costumes and swords and all, leaving the boys SHOOK. A talking cat too, a boy cat who turned into a hot lady! Tatsuki pats her on the head for this. Even the teacher is here! Two classmates are missing, no big loss. No one remembers Rukia, that's some men in black shit. When suddenly a voice rings out from the courtyard. The crew recognize that voice...

wJxbbNfl.jpg

A voice of a yuppie jobber, king of jobbers, calling out our man Itsygo. Renji! Ichigo is legit shook while the teacher thinks its quite retro, she asks Ichigo if he knows who it is as he bolts out of the class. A relative he calls, as the teacher class him goofy. Another running Lariato to Renji! He wants to know what he is doing here. Itsygo is cute when he's embarrassed but wants to know why he is here. He's the new Soul Reaper for Karakura town and Mr. Urahara told him where to find carrot top. He's the man now, dog. Itsygo claims that it was a demotion and Renji gets furious at this, claiming it's Itsygo's leaky spirit faucet that caused him to show up. The regular crew senses this hollow as Renji is stuck in his fake body. Ichigo slam jams the giant hollow in two seconds as Orihime cheers. Renji doesn't want to go in his fake body. Ichigo tells Renji not to come around any more.

lPdn32bl.jpg

Tatsuki and Orihime are eating a frozen dessert on the steps, Orihime gets a brain freeze after talking about the summer. She's proud of Tatsuki and her fighting skills but Tatsuki senses something wrong. Orihime felt useless on her trip until she heard Tatsuki's voice in her head and decided to up her game. Tatsuki is proud of her friend as Orihime gets another brain freeze. Itsygo is home late and intercepts a late for dinner kick. Karin thinks it's a great bonding experience. Renji is mooching at the Urahara store and Glasses guy is giving him shit about mooching and asking for seconds. Then the kids add to the ether. Urahara then continues to burn their soul. He leaves the table with no seconds and everyone laughs. The cat is back and he asks if Urahara notices that the spirit energy in this town is a little weird. Urahara noticed but doesn't think its a big deal.

CId6v5jl.jpg

Orihime is practicing with her god like stand fairy powers in an abandoned building. She exhausts herself but the fairies leave as Chad arrives to talk. Chad understands his strength now and Orihime wants to help Ichigo somehow and feels bad about how things turned out. They are going to train together to protect their friend who awakened their powers as Chad blows a hole in the building and Orihime tackles him, remembering what happened last time. The Quincy is also hanging out around them. He's been to the Soul Society and knows the dark truth, no one comes back unchanged, etc, etc. Kon is in Ichigo's room, battle damaged and PISSED OFF. Thinks he is so big because he has a combat pass. Kon wants Rukia back but Itsygo says that he only went to stop the execution, not bring her back. Kon proclaims the power of friendship which Ichigo no sells.

owXx37el.jpg

We get a dream of Little Orihime with her big bro making a snow rabbit. She can't go in yet because she made a bunny for her brother but no Orihime bunny. She wakes up and grabs a glass of water, remembering Rukia and her brother as he was wounded. Someone is ringing her doorbell and she gasps as she looks through the peephole. It's...

Pxnp6L2l.jpg

Her BROTHER (Voiced by Gaara no less!)??? She can't believe it either folks! Renji's spirit detective phone goes off and he gets ready to go. The two captains notice as well and the cat follows him. Orohime dressed in sweats and asks if he made it to the Soul Society. He did! He got there safely and knew she was there as well. Older brothers know everything! Gaara says she hasn't changed a bit (I disagree) and he goes over the snow bunny event. Renji, not confident at all in his own ability, wakes Itsygo up by standing on his bed and talking loudy. Itsygo points this out and says that he's like Rukia and can't handle his own shit. This episode is full of burns. Kon tells them to claim it and Renji is scared of this zombie stuffed lion.

zth9Dlyl.jpg

Okay, Kon is actually pretty scary in this form. Someone was dissing Rukia and woke him up. What do you know, it's a soul candy. Renji forgot about things like that. There's something not very powerful...but it's at Orihime's place! They get going. She's talking with her big bro at the table and she gets a lot of her chest...until he asks what is troubling her dreams. Chad and the Quincy also sense it as Gaara starts acting creeeeeepy. Want some fresh air as the demonic light show starts up.

9nJxDRjl.jpg

What the hell is that indeed Renji. Come with me, her brother entreats as his eyes get large and he grasps her hand. A blond girl laughs. Is that the gates to hell as Orihime gets sucked in. Itsygo attempts to slash the gate but it disappears as he screams her name and three dapper dressed figures laugh from the roof.

PqBWQWs.gif

The Horror. The Horror.

NEXT EPISODE: "Creeping Terror, the Second Victim"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's still a mystery how the Bount arc did not kill the Bleach anime. 42 fucking episodes of that...
And yet the clone army thing did. That and Kubo's shitty pacing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Clone army is a million times better than Bount arc. Liquid Snake and Bass's waifu too.

Bount arc does have a ton of good openings, endings, and Orihime in her jammies....

This episode though starts off well, until it's revealed that even the Non-Canon™ staff can't help but rip off YYH.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not the worst thing ever produced, apparently I get that later.

It should probably have a worse reputation than Naruto filler though.

LOLDSFAN

tensuke

I think it just shows that the audience for a mature anime like Bebop is much smaller then the audience for your otaku bait of the season anime. Otaku bait can have any of the following waifu/husbando, incest under/over tones, male or female fanservice, harem, comedy, gary/mary-sue protagonist

Its the reason why a show like Blue Exorcist did better then a show like Black Lagoon.

I'll defend any show with a Hiroyuki Sawano soundtrack.
yes, even Guilty Crown

Not that either of those really compare to Black Lagoon...

Takashi

Oh man I'm glad to be here. Just came from this dub vs sub thread http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=888401&page=100000#footer and I don't think I can take much more over there. No reasoning with folks from Anime gaf.

I wouldn't worry so much about it. The problem with debates on the internet is chances are you're probably not going to sway the other party. Each side will say their piece, but usually no one will have expanded their viewpoint of the debated topic. All in all, I'd say there's a large portion of anime viewers who aren't hardcore about strictly choosing either subs or dubs, and it's better to be open to both anyway.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

(I still rest my case toonamigaf dislikes shows the world loves. :p Then again we also hate terrible shows hi blue exorcist)

We do not hate Attack on Titan because it is popular, we hate it because it squanders the potential in favor of hacky and overwrought dramatics and has the plodding pace of an endless battle shonen. If you want to see grimdark anime done competently I suggest checking out Akame Ga Kill! that is airing this season.

One Piece is one of the shows that consistently has high ratings in Japan and a lot of people like it here (issues about the amount of episodes notwithstanding).

The logic of dub haters is truly mystifying, I especially like those in the thread that flat out say they don't even try to watch dubs ans prefer subs just because

Yo I'm gonna ask you guys not talk about Danganronpa 2 in here either as I don't even have a Vita yet but it's a game I plan to play when I get one and I don't want to be spoiled on it either.

Quoting Bass but I'm in agreement with everyone else who has mentioned it as well. My collector's edition from NISA hasn't even come in the mail yet :/ I pre-ordered months ago but somehow they think it's totally okay to not have the game show up Day 1.

dan2026

The logic of dub haters is truly mystifying, I especially like those in the thread that flat out say they don't even try to watch dubs ans prefer subs just because

How is it strange to understand?

I prefer to watch films and tv in the language it was originally created in.
Its how the original director intended and what actors were thought appropriate.

I'm not saying there can't be good dubs. But they are always going to struggle, because you are interpreting someone else's work.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's still a mystery how the Bount arc did not kill the Bleach anime. 42 fucking episodes of that....
It's what killed my like for the anime when I was younger. It was around the same time I stopped caring for Naruto & was starting to lose interest in One Piece (though CN ended that early, which doubled as ending my interest).

Quick question - Just started watching Attack on Titan and it's freaking awesome. Is it only the two seasons and the OVA? Or are more planned? Thanks.

BBboy20

I have no clue what is going on. I have largely been ignoring gaming side. Care to explain a bit?
Mattie Brice and Jenn Frank were harassed enough that they basically quit being journalists. Whatever that hashtag was has become a toxic movement and they're not stopping as now they're communicating like soldiers as if this is some war, waiting for the next journalist to take his or her stand. It's so fucking vile, it makes me sick.

Mattie Brice and Jenn Frank were harassed enough that they basically quit being journalists. Whatever that hashtag was has become a toxic movement and they're not stopping as now they're communicating like soldiers as if this is some war, waiting for the next journalist to take his or her stand. It's so fucking vile, it makes me sick.

What did they do originally to gain the ire?

Raxus

What did they do originally to gain the ire?

If it is anything like the Tropes against Women series I would assume they may point out a very real problem in games and media today and then get harassed and threatened in what should have otherwise been a rational discourse because nobody knows when to act rational on the internet.

If it is anything like the Tropes against Women series I would assume they may point out a very real problem in games and media today and then get harassed and threatened in what should have otherwise been a rational discourse because nobody knows when to act rational on the internet.

So it's a day that ends in Y.

here's my thing about dubs.

1. "Only Cowboy Bebop is good." Bullshit. Cowboy Bebop's dub is great because of its casting and because the writing isn't awkward, not because its acting is so much better than everything that came in over a decade since. The side characters aren't great, and there's still some awkward line delivery here and there, mostly from Blum and Billingslea. If you can put up with watching this dub, there's no reason whatsoever you should have a problem with the acting in other dubs. And speaking of acting, it annoys me when people act like the Japanese acting is completely perfect; even I notice their tendency towards being overly emotional.

2. "It's all the same actors!" While this can be true sometimes (though Funimation has really started branching out with this), this is the language barrier more often than not. You can find a pretty startling amount of overlap in Japanese, too, if you bother to look.

3. Unless you actually speak Japanese, you are not getting something completely faithful to the original. Are subtitles more faithful than a dub? Of course. But subtitles depend on translation, which differs depending on who did it, and even a theoretically perfect translation will not communicate the same nuance as actually being able to speak the language. I don't have an issue with people preferring subs for pretty much this reason, but let's not pretend it provides a truly accurate experience, it's just a closer approximation than a dub usually is (though again, without being able to pick up on the inflection of specific words even THAT isn't always the case.)

4. On a personal level, I like animation. And so I prefer to focus on that animation instead of dividing my attention between it and the words on the bottom of the screen. And honestly I'll very gladly take a hit in acting quality or occasional weird mouth flaps to be able to do that depending on the show.

BatDan

Yeah, the "same actors" point is silly when you look at Japan.
Mayumi Tanaka is the voice of Luffy, Krillin, Yajirobe, Koenma, and even Mega Man Volnutt.

Plus, Funimation is actually growing their roster. The cast listings for One Piece Season 6 and Film Z have quite a few new guys.

Yeah, the "same actors" point is silly when you look at Japan.
Mayumi Tanaka is the voice of Luffy, Krillin, Yajirobe, Koenma, and even Mega Man Volnutt.

Plus, Funimation is actually growing their roster. The cast listings for One Piece Season 6 and Film Z have quite a few new guys.

you can make a pretty significant amount of show connections with Japanese voice actors using just the shows on new Toonami.

BatDan

There's also the issue of writing.
You can have a voice cast of award-winning A-List movie stars, but it won't do a damn thing if the writing is garbage.

SAO has a decent dub cast, but it's severely bogged down by horrendous writing. People would probably prefer subs because their brain would take longer to process the shitty writing.

daveo42

Banned
The best reason:

People like the Japanese voice overs because they cant tell if its a shit voice actors or not. Ignorance is bliss in this case.

I'll follow that up with how the character first sounds when you are exposed to them usually sounding 'right' and then not near as much when you hear it in another language. For example, I barely watch Cowboy Bebop subbed because all of the voices just sound wrong for the characters.

Also...HxH back on hiatus. That didn't take long...

bigkrev

Its how the original director intended and what actors were thought appropriate.

I'm not saying there can't be good dubs. But they are always going to struggle, because you are interpreting someone else's work.

Here's the difference- in a live action performance, you are also relying on acting. Facial expressions, posing, nuance- it is something that doesn't really exist in an animated form. It is very strange when you dub someone's voice in a live action performance- it is very rare for a voice to match the movements, tone, and inflection of a live person- where in animated stuff, you only need to hit tone and inflection. It's not even a comparison.

BatDan

Also...HxH back on hiatus. That didn't take long...

At least there's a reason this time. Togashi is apparently having major back issues.
HxH is never going to end is it....

Here's the difference- in a live action performance, you are also relying on acting. Facial expressions, posing, nuance- it is something that doesn't really exist in an animated form. It is very strange when you dub someone's voice in a live action performance- it is very rare for a voice to match the movements, tone, and inflection of a live person- where in animated stuff, you only need to hit tone and inflection. It's not even a comparison.

And this is why I'll never defend live-action dubbing. Animation is matching to the lip flap (it's not always accurate, but it can work). Live-action works rely on so much more, thus dubbing makes the whole thing silly. I can't imagine watching Pirates of the Caribbean and hearing Sanji's voice come out of Johnny Depp.

There is a difference between people who prefer dubs and people who hate dubs and think they are all terrible. I have no problem with someone preferring the sub to the dub, but when people say "dubs are all terrible" or "always worse then the sub" I just roll my eyes

Raxus

HxH on hiatus? Why I never. See you guys in the HxH thread in 2017 for 3 more chapters!

There is a difference between people who prefer dubs and people who hate dubs and think they are all terrible. I have no problem with someone preferring the sub to the dub, but when people say "dubs are all terrible" or "always worse then the sub" I just roll my eyes

I loved one person pointed out the DBZ dub as superior despite the original dub being HORRIBLE at points (That's right boys, MONDO cool)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom