• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Best Buy's anime is stupidly over priced, moviespot and walmart are the only places I've seen anime be $10-30 dollars cheaper then it is online
I work there friend. So pls buy Dragon ball z season 2, deathnote, roberta blood trail and AOT season 1.

Also geek squad protection

bigkrev

Protip for Best Buy: Get their credit card. 6-18 months interest free financing let me build a Gaming PC and pay like 80 bucks a month with no up-front costs, and impulse buy a PS4 for no real reason without any reprecussions

Protip for Best Buy: Get their credit card. 6-18 months interest free financing let me build a Gaming PC and pay like 80 bucks a month with no up-front costs, and impulse buy a PS4 for no real reason without any reprecussions

Did that with the xbone. Now I got both consoles and life is goooooood

Build Fighters is really fun, I recommend. Log Horizon is great but action isn't it's strong suit. The politics and world building is great.

I recommend Barakamon. One of the best shows this season.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun for life.

also, as far as Build Fighters goes, i feel like i should watch some Gundam besides G Gundam and Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed to really appreciate it. is this a bad assumption?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What sucks is the closest Best Buy, which is about 30 minutes away, DID have a decent anime selection about 7 years ago (if not a bit overpriced, but I blame that on the anime industry. Full series of Samurai Champloo was around $100-ish), but now it's the standard Bleach/Naruto/Miyazaki stuff.

Really, Amazon is probably the best place for me, but it'd be nice to find a good place in town to just pick it up instead of having to wait almost a week. Anime is starting to become more reasonably priced now that I might start picking up a few titles if my budget allows it. It's just my budget usually goes towards games first.

I recommend Barakamon. One of the best shows this season.
What exactly is that about? I've seen Funimation tweet about it a few times, but no idea of the plot or genre. It looks like a comedy &/or slice-of-life.

Moaradin

also, as far as Build Fighters goes, i feel like i should watch some Gundam besides G Gundam and Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed to really appreciate it. is this a bad assumption?

I've never seen any other Gundam show and I really enjoyed it. It's not required but I imagine seeing those shows will make you appreciate all the references more.

What exactly is that about? I've seen Funimation tweet about it a few times, but no idea of the plot or genre. It looks like a comedy &/or slice-of-life.

That's exactly what it is. I typically don't watch those type of shows but this one is really well done.

No, made a buddy watch it who's never seen any Gundam but like YGO and he really enjoyed it.

bigkrev

Really, Amazon is probably the best place for me, but it'd be nice to find a good place in town to just pick it up instead of having to wait almost a week. Anime is starting to become more reasonably priced now that I might start picking up a few titles if my budget allows it. It's just my budget usually goes towards games first.

Get Amazon prime. If you have a .edu e-mail address it's like 70 bucks, and the free 2 day shipping is a lifesaver. And I live in the suburbs and can pay 4 dollars for SAME DAY DELIVERY on lots of things if I order before like noon.

The video streaming stuff is good too. They have Star Trek TNG in HD unlike Netflix, tons of Nick and HBO shows, and basically the same movies as Netflix. I'd cancel Netflix if my Dad didn't use it and foot the bill.

Jarate

Banned
Like I said, unless you speak or write the language, which indicates having an understanding of it, it is really hard to accurately judge the VO of another language. Just because there are patterns doesn't mean that they universally translate.

Definition of intonation:

Now read this

Source: http://esl.fis.edu/grammar/langdiff/japanese.htm

Most people who claim to be able to tell if Japanese voice acting in anime is good or not are full of crap. Those how have studied the language have an argument, but if somebody bases their claim off of watching a ton of subbed cartoons, I'm less inclined to believe their point of view.

No, there goes so much beyond voice acting not including voice subtleties and the way we present language. There are a lot of differences in language that accentuate that fact. You can be a horrendous voice actor, but speak the language perfectly, it ain't about that shit.

A voice actor needs to be able to act with their voice. Giving life to the character and making him feel real is what a good voice actor does. A voice actor is not a linguistic expert, they are actors first and foremost.

And even then, there are just times where even with all that said, you can tell when an actor is just hamming it up and reading lines, or times when a character does not have the right voice, or times when the actor has just a bad voice in general.

People can tell when there's a good actor in a chinese kung fu flick, go look at Jackie Chan's performances in his older roles, and tell me that he wasn't an incredibly charming actor for his roles. Voice acting works in a very similar manner that real acting does, just with animation instead of the person moving his body.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Get Amazon prime. If you have a .edu e-mail address it's like 70 bucks, and the free 2 day shipping is a lifesaver. And I live in the suburbs and can pay 4 dollars for SAME DAY DELIVERY on lots of things if I order before like noon.
I had Amazon Student a few years ago & it was great for $40 & when I had a lot more money, but considering my budget, how I don't order stuff online as often, & not to mention it's $50 now, I don't feel like it's worth the price. Plus in the rare chance I do wanna order something online, my dad's gf sometimes offers to let me order through her Prime account.

That's exactly what it is. I typically don't watch those type of shows but this one is really well done.
Hmm, sounds like it might be up my alley, then. Think I'll try & catch up with Terror in Resonance first, though....of course, considering Shinichirō Watanabe is behind it, maybe he'll try to get it on Toonami?

So how about that Bayonetta 2 guys?

That gameplay trailer....

tkXitZE.gif
tkXitZE.gif
tkXitZE.gif

Jarate

Banned
When are we getting Johnny Test Demarco.

We need more whip sound effects for Toonami Demarco

I actually see Test as a superior product then Beware the batman. While Test is absolutely stupid and unfunny, at least it doesnt shit on the body of one of the most well written comic book characters of all time

When are we getting Johnny Test Demarco.

We need more whip sound effects for Toonami Demarco

I actually see Test as a superior product then Beware the batman. While Test is absolutely stupid and unfunny, at least it doesnt shit on the body of one of the most well written comic book characters of all time

We'd get Ben 10 before we ever got Johnny Test

Did that with the xbone. Now I got both consoles and life is goooooood

Sales associate

We dont always and it depends on what item it is.

Wait...explain to me how this works. I need to build my credit anyway, never had anything but a debit card.

No, there goes so much beyond voice acting not including voice subtleties and the way we present language. There are a lot of differences in language that accentuate that fact. You can be a horrendous voice actor, but speak the language perfectly, it ain't about that shit.

A voice actor needs to be able to act with their voice. Giving life to the character and making him feel real is what a good voice actor does. A voice actor is not a linguistic expert, they are actors first and foremost.

And even then, there are just times where even with all that said, you can tell when an actor is just hamming it up and reading lines, or times when a character does not have the right voice, or times when the actor has just a bad voice in general.

People can tell when there's a good actor in a chinese kung fu flick, go look at Jackie Chan's performances in his older roles, and tell me that he wasn't an incredibly charming actor for his roles. Voice acting works in a very similar manner that real acting does, just with animation instead of the person moving his body.

You just refuted documented facts from an accredited German university with an opinion. Never did I claim you needed to have a PHD in linguistics to know if a foreign voice actors is good or not, just an understanding of the language that goes beyond 'I watch a ton of subbed anime therefore I'm clearly qualified to judge the voice acting in this show!' And once again, you can't compare film to voice over roles, they are inherently different beasts. I'm not going to shit up the thread anymore talking about if people who don't speak a particular language or study it can accurately critique voice acting, if you want to continue the conversation then shoot me a PM.

Jarate

Banned
You just refuted documented facts from an accredited German university with an opinion. And once again, you can't compare film to voice over roles, they are inherently different beasts. I'm not going to shit up the thread anymore talking about if people who don't speak a particular language or study it can accurately critique voice acting, if you want to continue the conversation then shoot me a PM.

The only thing ive seen you post on this topic is a single entry that states that the language is different and that there are different ways to state emotions in the different languages

It speaks nothing about voice acting, just the linguistics and subtleties of said languages. There's things beyond acting and voice acting beyond just how people emote the language.

Jesus, I shiver at the thought of eventually running out of action cartoons so that we have to get Ben 10.

I was always under the impression that the original series was pretty good and it's impressive that it survived during a time where CN canceled damn near everything that wasn't live action or a brain dead comedy

The only thing ive seen you post on this topic is a single entry that states that the language is different and that there are different ways to state emotions in the different languages

It speaks nothing about voice acting, just the linguistics and subtleties of said languages. There's things beyond acting and voice acting beyond just how people emote the language.

If that's all you got out of the quotes and link I provided, then ok. The point I was making is that A) Japanese and English don't have much in common when it comes to intonation, you know, that thing that helps you determine if someone is a good voice actor or not, and B) It is much harder (I would say near impossible) for someone who cannot read, write, or speak a foreign language (in this case Japanese) to accurately critique the voice acting of a native speaker in the media we consume (i.e. anime). Saying 'Oh I watch a lot of subs, therefore I know what I'm talking about' is a defense that leaves me skeptical.

Once again, I would appreciate it if you'd shoot me a PM if you want to continue the conversation because it's borderline off topic and probably starting to annoy people. I think it's a conversation worth having, just not sure if this is the right place.

Jarate

Banned
If that's all you got out of the quotes and link I provided, then ok. The point I was making is that A) Japanese and English don't have much in common when it comes to intonation, you know, that thing that helps you determine if someone is a good voice actor or not, and B) It is much harder (I would say near impossible) for someone who cannot read, write, or speak a foreign language (in this case Japanese) to accurately critique the voice acting of a native speaker in the media we consume (i.e. anime). Saying 'Oh I watch a lot of subs, therefore I know what I'm talking about' is a defense that leaves me skeptical.

Once again, I would appreciate it if you'd shoot me a PM if you want to continue the conversation because it's borderline off topic and probably starting to annoy people. I think it's a conversation worth having, just not sure if this is the right place.

Don't worry about posting here, it's related in a sense because we're all here to watch things that were voice acted, and also, because it's thursday, and well, there's been stupider things talked about.

Im gonna go watch football, so I can't really post a long writing about this. But just because you can speak the emotions, doesnt mean you can voice act well. Obama has an incredible grasp on the english language and his ability to speak with said language and his ability to orate his emotions through his speaking is actually slightly amazing. he's the best speaker I think ive ever witnessed.

On the other hand, listening to him orate his own audio book showed that, unless he had proper training, he'd be a terrible voice actor. There's an ability for people to act and to be actor that can't be shown in a graph. Sure, the japanese might have a better grasp of their tongue, and ultimately, i'd trust the opinion of a japanese animation expert over my own or your when talking about dubs, but it does not mean that we can't determine whether or not something is a good dub.

Gorillaz

Wait...explain to me how this works. I need to build my credit anyway, never had anything but a debit card.
Go to best buy apply for a credit card and see if you get approved. If you do ask them if its possible yo get (item) financed for 6-12 months

Works well with the new consoles forgot how much down a month you have to pay.

Go to best buy apply for a credit card and see if you get approved. If you do ask them if its possible yo get (item) financed for 6-12 months

Wal-Mart basically does the same thing with their credit card. No interest as long as you pay your minimum balance every month for 6/12/18/24 months. Been thinking about doing this to get a tablet

So basically no interest as long as you pay the item off within those 6-12 months ($35-$65 a month)?

I was always under the impression that the original series was pretty good and it's impressive that it survived during a time where CN canceled damn near everything that wasn't live action or a brain dead comedy

I did like the original but that was mainly because I was 11 at the time and there wasn't anything else on at that hour.

I'm still shocked at how much Nick and CN have gravitated towards soulless live-action tween comedies. It's like everyone is trying to replicate the success of Hannah Montana when that was lightening in a bottle. I mean, is it cheaper to produce content that way? I don't get it.

I'm still shocked at how much Nick and CN have gravitated towards soulless live-action tween comedies. It's like everyone is trying to replicate the success of Hannah Montana when that was lightening in a bottle. I mean, is it cheaper to produce content that way? I don't get it.

They cost way less to produce
They take way less views to be profitable
They are easy to merchandise the heck out of it
They are designed for syndication

Pretty much a recipe for profit though minimal effort, it would be like Adult Swim cutting half of their original content for Family Guy reruns, they'd probably be way more profitable that way and thankfully they don't.

Gorillaz

Comedies for the most part have always been easier to bank off of over action shows. Especially on cartoon stations.

Thats why for the most part action cartoon in the west are basically dead.

bigkrev

So basically no interest as long as you pay the item off within those 6-12 months ($35-$65 a month)?

Yes, but the APR is totally insane on store cards (like 20 percent), and it ALL COMES IN if you don't pay it off in time. There was a thread a month ago when Gamestop announced a credit card and people lost their minds over the APR- not knowing that even places like Target have insane APR

Just make the minimum (25 dollars) each month and pay the whole thing off in the time allowed (6 or 12 months, I got 18 for my 1100 computer part purchase), and you are 100% free and clear. If you are responsible with your money, there is no reason not to use it, even if you pay it all off in 2 months.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I suggest to everyone to only use credit cards for purchases you can pay off that month, and then set it up with your bank so that the money gets sent over immediately. You get the benefit of building a credit rating and the benefit of spending within your means, also whatever dumb perk the card has.

bigkrev

I suggest to everyone to only use credit cards for purchases you can pay off that month, and then set it up with your bank so that the money gets sent over immediately. You get the benefit of building a credit rating and the benefit of spending within your means, also whatever dumb perk the card has.

Oh, in general, unless it's specifically zero intrest (IE, a store card/promotion) you should be paying in full every month. And USING every month as well. I pretty much use plastic as a sub for cash, pay it off every month, and get Amazon gift cards with rewards points

We could do worse than Ben 10, TOONAMI has already done so....Twice.

I mean Ben 10 seems like a good replacement for Clone Wars, it would probably be free to air or virtually free to air, they can put it at 5 or 5:30 and let it air down their for years.

Yes, but the APR is totally insane on store cards (like 20 percent), and it ALL COMES IN if you don't pay it off in time. There was a thread a month ago when Gamestop announced a credit card and people lost their minds over the APR- not knowing that even places like Target have insane APR

Just make the minimum (25 dollars) each month and pay the whole thing off in the time allowed (6 or 12 months, I got 18 for my 1100 computer part purchase), and you are 100% free and clear. If you are responsible with your money, there is no reason not to use it, even if you pay it all off in 2 months.

This, on a normal credit card it won't kill you if you can't pay off 100% at the end of the pay period due to whatever happens in life EDIT: don't do that every month though ideally you should be putting money into savings and if you can't pay back everything dip into that, and then go into ultra conservative mode until you're back to that savings baseline. If you've signed up for any of these 6-24 month pay off plans you better make sure you get it all paid off on time AND pay that minimum every month or else you get hit hard.

Best way to plan it is after you buy your super expensive things, look at how long you have to pay it off (say 18 months for $1500 purchase), even if your minimum is only $50 you better pay $84 each month so that your final payment completely puts you in the clear.

I can't blame CN for not trying to bring action cartoons back, the problem is that everything outside of Young Justice and SBT have sucked. I wish there was more original content like Generator Rex or Ben 10, only aimed at teens. I get tired of DC/Marvel properties dominating the American action cartoon landscape.

Oh, in general, unless it's specifically zero intrest (IE, a store card/promotion) you should be paying in full every month. And USING every month as well. I pretty much use plastic as a sub for cash, pay it off every month, and get Amazon gift cards with rewards points

Thank you for the advice, I have no knowledge on how to deal with credit cards or the payments. I'm 24 though, I probably should have started doing this 3 years ago to build credit for post-college life.

bigkrev

The PS4 I bought a month or so ago with 12 months interest free- I just paid 100 of it off yesterday, for example.

These things are super predatory if you screw up, but if your responsible and smart it's basically a freeroll till you have money free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom