• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
wait might just email tag this
[email="and my mom was doing so well about not drinking :/ well...a lot less than usual. Oh well.
Tonight promises to be a fun night. Not. Hopefully I can watch toonami peacefully later?

(And i dont really mind openly stating it in toonamigaf since irl people that ik dont go in here)][/Email]

Yep. TIL how to email tag properly :3

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Demon King Daimo or whatever, how could I forget that?

Great voice acting, horrible everything else.
Only seen parts of the anime. Manga has some great facial expressions at times.

But did you watch both seasons of Seikon no Qwaser?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Don't know if that was on Netflix back then.

Queen's Blade was.

Probably the most entertaining of the group. Yes, the show with acid lactation. This group was that bad.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember watching We Without Wings on Funimation's YouTube channel (I recall because I saw it in an AMV) last year along with the first season of Baka no Test (REALLY need to see S2). I think it was the first anime that I flat-out disliked & questioned why they even bothered to license it. Tried to be serious, but with fanservice & failed on both parts.

& I'm someone who barely dislikes animes. Most of the time, it's "meh" or "haha, this is so bad it's funny" or "*sigh* this is so boring".

Queen's Blade fell into the 1st category & I dropped it after....5-ish episodes, I think.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So did toonamigaf like pr dislike baka + test?
I can't remember why I passed on it when it originally was airing, but I figured "meh, I might as well check it out" when I saw it on Funi's YT channel, & I rather enjoyed it/found it funny.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As I mentioned a few weeks ago when I did a breakdown of all anime currently on Netflix most of the B/C tier slice of life/weird pervy shit on there right now is actually pretty amusing.

Dance with the Vampire Bund is the only vile thing on there I would not recommend to anybody for any reason whatsoever.

Soulflarz

Banned
For the record yeah i enjoyed baka and test. It was a nonsensical show that was relatively funny. And the amount of mgs references made it worth it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dance with the Vampire Bund is the only vile thing on there I would not recommend to anybody for any reason whatsoever.
It's the only anime I can think of that actually uses the "no, she's really 1,000 years old" trope that GAF likes to throw around at times.

......though yes, I agree it's not worth watching/reading.

For some reason, my library actually had that manga for a while. No idea if they still do.

Well, it is the "Director's Cut" edition and then can fill two spaces with it.

I'm not sure if they really want to do the two spaces thing unless they have to for shows like Hellsing Ultimate.

Either way it doesn't matter because any version of Psycho Pass is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Were getting psycho pass and your going to like it

Probably... blahhhhhhhh

How come?

Great premise marred by bad execution and very poor handling of a very dark and serious subject matter. As an example in the first episode a woman is kidnapped and tortured/raped by a man who is flagged for having a dangerous level of emotions, this by itself is okay and sets up the dark/edgey world... the problem is
when the man is literally exploded all over the girl he raped/tortured, she goes into a hysterical panic and is labeled a shoot to kill threat just like the guy who kidnapped, raped, and tortured her.

1. Is the show actually popular?

Popular enough to get a directors cut, another full season with 2 cours, and a movie.

Great premise marred by bad execution and very poor handling of a very dark and serious subject matter. As an example in the first episode a woman is kidnapped and tortured/raped by a man who is flagged for having a dangerous level of emotions, this by itself is okay and sets up the dark/edgey world... the problem is
when the man is literally exploded all over the girl he raped/tortured, she goes into a hysterical panic and is labeled a shoot to kill threat just like the guy who kidnapped, raped, and tortured her.

My issue with that is not necessarily what happens so much as that
it so obviously communicates that the Psycho-Pass system has issues that it becomes ridiculous for nobody to stop to think about it.

My issue with that is not necessarily what happens so much as that
it so obviously communicates that the Psycho-Pass system has issues that it becomes ridiculous for nobody to stop to think about it.

Exactly, that should have been an episode in the middle of the season where the characters start to go
"oh yeah maybe there are problems here"
instead of starting with an elephant in the room episode like that, start off with a few episodes where
the psycho pass system is depicted as virtually good with minimal hints of something being amiss, and then over the course of half a season build up to the inevitable rape/torture victim episode and have the later half of the series be the repercussions of that incident

Psycho Pass is another great example of people having an idea for a story but no clear plan for where they want to take it, leading to the "lets just throw ideas/episodes out and see what sticks". At least that's what I hope happened, as if they were planned this way then this is truly pitiful writing/planning.

Exactly, that should have been an episode in the middle of the season where the characters start to go
"oh yeah maybe there are problems here"
instead of starting with an elephant in the room episode like that, start off with a few episodes where
the psycho pass system is depicted as virtually good with minimal hints of something being amiss, and then over the course of half a season build up to the inevitable rape/torture victim episode and have the later half of the series be the repercussions of that incident

Psycho Pass is another great example of people having an idea for a story but no clear plan for where they want to take it, leading to the "lets just throw ideas/episodes out and see what sticks". At least that's what I hope happened, as if they were planned this way then this is truly pitiful writing/planning.

sadly enough that's a top 5 episode of the show so far.

Regiruler

Saw Maleficent. Anyone else think it would have done the movie good to be a bit longer?

I missed the first few minutes of it though so I have no idea why they were fighting originally. Or why the guy knew Maleficent.

sadly enough that's a top 5 episode of the show so far.

I can imagine, I stopped watching the re-cut because I was getting bored out of my skull, show needed a laughing man esque hook like GitS if it wanted to do boring criminal of the week stuff after it's very dark opening.

So I watched what is apparently a super popular anime in Japan called No Game No Life in Anime Club this week.
Ugh, left a bad taste in my mouth it was so mediocre and clichéd as hell.
Worst 3 hours of my life up until a friend of mine let me play the new Smash demo. (Don't own a 3DS, I want one now.:D)

Regiruler

So I watched what is apparently a super popular anime in Japan called No Game No Life in Anime Club this week.
Worst 3 hours of my life up until a friend of mine let me play the new Smash demo. (Don't own a 3DS, I want one now.:D)

Someone in my traditional gaming club was talking about it.
Didn't pay too much attention to when he was describing it.

3 hours of anime club though?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aww, that sucks to hear. I watched it & rather enjoyed it, especially the episode when they played the word game (though I can't imagine it'd work well dubbed). Though I wasn't a fan of how they treated the one princess girl at times.

3 hours of anime club though?
We watch 6 episodes of an anime sometimes. And its not like you have to stay if you don't want to or need to go to class.

Speaking of the Smash demo, it brought me back to my days of having a DS way back when. What's the cheapest option for getting a 3DS right now? Any deals?

Regiruler

We watch 6 episodes of an anime sometimes. And its not like you have to stay if you don't want to or need to go to class.

Speaking of the Smash demo, it brought me back to my days of having a DS way back when. What's the cheapest option for getting a 3DS right now? Any deals?

Even in highschool, the longest it was ever held for was 2 hours until it was cut back to an hour starting in my junior year.
I'm more familiar with 1-hour meetings that let us just watch the 2-episode hook anime (where eps 1 and 2 are highly entertaining because it focuses on completely shifting the setting and does it well, but starts to deteriorate once it has to retain the new setting because the character writing is often mediocre; see Blue Exorcist).

Even in highschool, the longest it was ever held for was 2 hours until it was cut back to an hour starting in my junior year.
I'm more familiar with 1-hour meetings that let us just watch the 2-episode hook anime (where eps 1 and 2 are highly entertaining because it focuses on completely shifting the setting and does it well, but starts to deteriorate once it has to retain the new setting because the character writing is often mediocre; see Blue Exorcist).
Well, I dont run the club so I don't know. I guess tats the way its always been.

The other weird thing is that there's rarely any discussion about what anime we've been watching, or the one we just watched. Its odd. But whatever. :p

Sorry these are the only 3 episodes of Bebop worth discussing for best episode of Bebop

1. Ballad of Fallen Angels
2. Real Folk Blues
3. Mushroom Samba

and even then you have to make a really compelling argument not to put Ballad as number 1

Gorillaz

The 2 about Faye and her origins were kinda good doe

Edit: yo that opening with the fat guy and the gun in his cane popping off was legit one of the best openings to a Bebop episode

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry these are the only 3 episodes of Bebop worth discussing for best episode of Bebop

1. Ballad of Fallen Angels
2. Real Folk Blues
3. Mushroom Samba

and even then you have to make a really compelling argument not to put Ballad as number 1

The next tier down from these are Speak Like a Child, Hard Luck Woman, Pierrot Le Fou, and Jupiter Jazz.

THEN you can talk about Waltz for Venus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom