• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Ehh...

Well probably get the OVA. It would work well to do it after Hellsing is done in that hour slot. At least there is the manga which is still on fucking hiatus after the 10th volume.

I dont think I can do the early morning watch alot heading into the holiday season. Maybe Hellsing will ne worth it tho.

Bio-Frost

I wonder how much they would have to edit the Ova though? you have
the nudity and borderline sex scene.
the violence is more graphic too but it could get away with it that late I would think.

Order

tumblr_mpe1r8ntFI1r2du9bo1_500.gif

You'll always be in our hearts Black Lagoon

Gorillaz

I wonder how much they would have to edit the Ova though? you have
the nudity and borderline sex scene.
the violence is more graphic too but it could get away with it that late I would think.
Both can be edited. Pretty sure they can get around the nudity. The borderline stuff might actually be allowed on tv since its on at 3 or whatever late time. Violence they are ok with.

Its more of them breaking up a 30-35 min show and adding in commercials. Which is why it probably would be good with an hour slot

Both can be edited. Pretty sure they can get around the nudity. The borderline stuff might actually be allowed on tv since its on at 3 or whatever late time. Violence they are ok with.

Its more of them breaking up a 30-35 min show and adding in commercials. Which is why it probably would be good with an hour slot

The question is are they going to pay to acquire the rights and then spend time/resources editing a property that hasn't gotten great ratings? I know Black Lagoon is popular around here, but realistically, Blood Trail will probably not air in my opinion.

Gorillaz

The question is are they going to pay to acquire the rights and then spend time/resources editing a property that hasn't gotten great ratings? I know Black Lagoon is popular around here, but realistically, Blood Trail will probably not air in my opinion.
Thats also the next problem. Is it worth the financial cost? I think the English dubbed was staggered and came out through 2013 and 2012. So its still relatively fresh. The low ratings didnt make a good case, so it would come down to how much Demarco would enjoy those edits and the show itself enough to pay for it. I think it will air, but not until they feel they comfortable in price and time slot.

Unless Funi gives Toonami a really sweet deal and does the censorship themselves I agree that we probably won't get Roberta's Blood Trail

Also while its sad to see Black Lagoon leave, Hellsing Ultimate is fantastic you guys are gonna love it

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
But...but Demarco said people said they wanted darker anime! Roberta's Blood Trail fits that!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
He also said that Casshern Sins and Deadman indicated people wanted darker anime, but Black lagoon didn't
People are hypocrites, got it.

.....well that or they have to find the right "level" of dark since BL might've gone "too dark" while Casshern Sins was more dark in the sense of trying to be thought provoking and having a grim tone & DW still had its sillier moments to go with its violence, indicating that people want something among the lines of "light dark" instead of dark....dark.

......or something. *shrugs*

& now for some reason, my mind went to BTOOOM!, but Sentai has that, so not sure what're the chances of that happening.

Gorillaz

That twin arc was pretty dark for anime and the Tokyo one were in now is as well. I dont know exactly what he considers dark if thst wasn't it for him

Maybe we need something darker maybe...maybe...
fairy tale

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe we need something darker maybe...maybe...
fairy tale
So what you're saying is we need Darker Than Black......
Lagoon
?

I'm sorry, that joke has been sitting on the back of my mind for so long...

ckohler

I hope Toonami never becomes overly dark. I prefer action/comedy anime. Anyone remember the Anime Unleashed block on G4? It was filled with mostly dark stuff and I just remember it being overly boring.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Agreed. I stand by my opinion that I like the mixture of the sillier stuff with the more serious shows. It allows for a wider variety of shows to be shown and doesn't make one tone/genre feel like it's the dominant one (excluding the fact it's action). If it's just all silly or serious, then it loses its appeal. Too much of a good thing, basically.

I'm kind of sad BL never got really high ratings, and this reflected how the Toonami audience don't want more of these kinds of shows to DeMarco and such.

Gorillaz

A nice balance would be, a western or 2, a comedy, few (2 or 3) shonen, a mecha, a "dark" show and a seinen

Toonami for the most part has that good balance, I wouldnt mind a few more dark/seinen in the back half tho.

Soulflarz

Banned
So what you're saying is we need Darker Than Black......
Lagoon
?

I'm sorry, that joke has been sitting on the back of my mind for so long...
You waited 24 weeks to use that HAPPY NOW ARE WE?

Also what wouldve brought BLs ratings up? Was it actually not liked by some, or was it simply unknown as far as shows go?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
A nice balance would be, a western or 2, a comedy, few (2 or 3) shonen, a mecha, a "dark" show and a seinen

Toonami for the most part has that good balance, I wouldnt mind a few more dark/seinen in the back half tho.
I'd say that most of the time, seinen shows try to be "dark" so the line is kind of blurred between the two (unless seinen = "LOOK AT ALL DEM T&A SHOTS!"), but that still seems like it'd be a good balance. Looking at it now (well, as of next week):

AoT: Shonen
Bleach: Shonen
Space Dandy: Comedy
Naruto: Shippuden: Shonen
One Piece: Shonen
Gurren Lagann: Shonen/Mecha
Beware the Batman: Western
Hellsing Ultimate: Seinen/Dark
FMA Brotherhood: Shonen
Cowboy Bebop: Uhhh, Seinen?
Clone Wars: Western
Samurai Jack: Western

So 1 comedy, 5 shonen (+ 1 also being mecha), 3 western shows, 1 dark/seinen, & another seinen but not as dark.

I think we've got a good balance, though maybe one less shonen for one more seinen (though I understand shonen = most popular) & I'm fine with one comedy since some of the other shonens tend to have humorous moments in them like One Piece.

Also lulwut Wiki says the demographic for the Cowboy Bebop manga is Shojo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Cowboy Bebop wasn't in Shonen Jump or those other weekly magazines! HOW ELSE WAS I SUPPOSE TO KNOW!?!

Guess I just felt the series' overall tone was more mature than what you'd normally see in a shonen series.

Did you know that Attack on Titan and Death Note are considered Shounen while K-On! And Lucky Star are considered Seinen? Demographics are weird sometimes.
Lucky Star, I guess I could understand since they'd fit in a ton of anime & game references that older fans would get, but really? K-On? Maybe it's just due to me thinking seinen = more mature content, but that just strikes me as odd, ignoring the fact the show has its adult fans.

Cowboy Bebop wasn't in Shonen Jump or those other weekly magazines! HOW ELSE WAS I SUPPOSE TO KNOW!?!

Actually, we're both wrong.

There's two Bebop manga series. And they're both SHOJO!

Did you know that Attack on Titan and Death Note are considered Shounen while K-On! And Lucky Star are considered Seinen? Demographics are weird sometimes.

It usually depends on what magazine they're published in.

I think three things killed Black Lagoon ratings:

1. The shift from 2AM to 2:30AM in May

Here are the ratings for Lagoon before it got moved back

3/22 - 941,000
3/29 - 876,000
4/5 - 778,000
4/12 - 831,000
4/19 - 856,000
4/26 - 911,000
AVG: 865,500

Just for comparison, in 2013 SBT and IGPX were airing in the 2AM spot during the spring and neither came close to what Black Lagoon was averaging on a regular basis. This indicated an upward trend, showing growth for the block.

Now lets look at the next 6 weeks after the move, right before the Vampire Twins mini arc started:

5/3 - 671,000
5/10 - 644,000
5/17 - 708,000
5/24 - 612,000
5/31 - 657,000
6/7 - 637,000
AVG: ~655,000 (rounded up) [-210,500 viewers]

Here we can see a HUGE drop in the number of viewers, all thanks to being bumped back 30 minutes later. This is especially odd considering Blue Exorcist was an EXCELLENT lead-in for the show, it would beat out One Piece at a high rate.

2. The Vampire Twins mini arc

Real talk, Black Lagoon is a dark show, but this mini arc was completely fucked up. We've got copious amounts of murder, child exploitation, incest, pedophilia, rape, mental instability, and other questionable content all thrown into a 3 episode mini arc. This is the first time a toonami show has ever had to juggle all these mature themes at once, unless you count Sword Art Online which I would argue has a completely different tone, all at once. I think it shocked and disgusted a lot of viewers to the point that they decided to drop the series. Lets look at the ratings for the arc:

6/14 - 693,000
6/21 - 845,000
6/28 - 522,000
AVG: ~687,000 (rounded up)

Now, you might say, 'But Gucci, the average is higher and 6/21 had a pretty high rating, doesn't that show it was popular?' To that I would say no. Keep in mind that the sample size is smaller since the arc is only 3 episodes long, so that skews the results somewhat. Also, 6/21 was an anomaly, every show got a bump that night. Heck, OG Naruto managed 757K airing a re-run at 3:30AM. Look at that 522K for the finale as well, I think that's telling.

3. Low or nonexistent same day DVR data

Black Lagoon simply isn't a show that gets a bump from DVR data like Clone Wars, Inuyasha, Batman, or Samurai Jack. It isn't kid friendly, so the audience is very limited, especially when compared to other properties on the block which are generally aimed at teenagers.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Actually, we're both wrong.

There's two Bebop manga series. And they're both SHOJO!

Also lulwut Wiki says the demographic for the Cowboy Bebop manga is Shojo.

I actually have both Shooting Star (which is only 2 volumes) & that other one that's only 3 volumes long. Needless to say, they're nowhere near as good as the anime. Maybe I'll reread them to refresh my memory, but based on past experiences, any manga that's based on an anime usually is never as good as said manga.

......I also have the Samurai Champloo manga which annoyed the hell of me as a kid because it's only 2 damn volumes.

Gorillaz

the push back to 230 definitely hurt it, they literally pushed it back twice it's run to the point where it is now part of the back half of the block where older shows and reruns turn up which at that point really only the toonami faithful are watching

Also the fact that it didn't have fantasy(despite the twin arc ironically called Bloodspot fairytale) or sci-fi and the humor easy going of it dropped off a bit for more 'complex' story lines in season 2.

Most people watching the block are watching it for the standard lighter shonen stuff. Which is what the show started off as. The twin arc was/is the make or break for alot of people.

Gorillaz

so when are we getting High School of the dead
I only want to see the scene from that gif where the kid shoots a rifle while on top of a chicks rib cage and another girl doing the matrix bend with her tits

I just want to know why that scene exist

Soulflarz

Banned
I only want to see the scene from that gif where the kid shoots a rifle while on top of a chicks rib cage and another girl doing the matrix bend with her tits

I just want to know why that scene exist
It doesnt really have a reason, its sort of "what the hell?" even in context.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Pasco County detective Daniel Toner said, "There's a part in this book where two characters get in a fight with each other. All of a sudden that clicks something in her mind, and she decided she was going to kill her family.""

That's....gotta be one of the strangest connections I've heard of. If you just told me it was based on a manga where "two characters get into a fight with each other", that's extremely vague.

Though the whole "the story reminded her of being bullied and how her mother disciplines her" thing, I can see being related to Crona & Medusa.

If a 14-year-old can't distinguish the difference between reality and fiction, then I'm pretty sure that everything is not okay upstairs.

The media likes to put the blame on fictional stories and memes, instead of the dysfunctional teenager.

Rutger

Banned
Looks like I was able to make it here in time for Black Lagoon's final episode.

I found these threads a while before deciding to join and kept returning for those Miiverse sketches. Now that I'm here, I might as well join in the discussions.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If a 14-year-old can't distinguish the difference between reality and fiction, then I'm pretty sure that everything is not okay upstairs.

The media likes to put the blame on fictional stories and memes, instead of the dysfunctional teenager.
Reminds me of all the times the media would blame Death Note for teenagers writing down names of people that were mean to them.

Levyne

Banned

I found these threads a while before deciding to join and kept returning for those Miiverse sketches. Now that I'm here, I might as well join in the discussions.

Welcome. SAB's post is always a highlight of the weekend.

Welcome to ToonamiGAF! Those sketches you're referring to are made by our talented artist SAB, you'll see him here later in the evening.

Rutger

Banned
Before I knew it I was looking forward to SAB's sketches as much as several of the shows.

I may or may not join along. I'm not so talented that I can make several sketches throughout the night, and pencil and paper is more my thing, but if I throw something together ahead of time I'll post it at some point.

I've been wanting to get back into drawing lately, so I'll try something simple from tonight's Gurren Lagann.

Reminds me of all the times the media would blame Death Note for teenagers writing down names of people that were mean to them.

Let's not forget the dangers of sticking your head in sand that Naruto Sand Ninjas introduced to America's children.

Soulflarz

Banned

Or a few years younger even. I dont know, I feel like by junior high you should be getting that together. Might just be me though...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom