• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Even being a short week, this one was rough, so glad it's almost over. Having been able to post much here or anywhere.

So back to the old familiar routine of Toonami until whenever I fall asleep, and then waking up hopefully early enough to park in front of Redzone channel all day :)

Levyne

Banned
damn, Psycho-Pass's dub is not very good at all. what happened, Funimation?

I only watched a few preview clips they threw up somewhere and wasn't feeling the dub either.

But yet I've seen it mentioned a few times when people talk about which shows have good dubs.

Seda

damn, Psycho-Pass's dub is not very good at all. what happened, Funimation?

An acquaintance on Twitter commented that the show was great, which seemed odd because I've never seen anyone say anything good about it. I asked him how the dub was and he said that was great too.

Looks like a dissenting opinion from my perspective I guess.

by the way, our "video" podcast is now hosted at Toonamifan.com. which means we're kinda-sorta-indirectly linked to by the official Toonami site :p (we didn't have much to talk about this week so in addition to Space Dandy and Zurtrun we just talked about Rick and Morty, Boondocks season 4, and Black Jesus)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
An acquaintance on Twitter commented that the show was great, which seemed odd because I've never seen anyone say anything good about it. I asked him how the dub was and he said that was great too.

A wrong one to boot unless you really enjoy getting hit on the head with a metaphorical hammer.

Squalor

The show builds a rich, intriguing, and beautiful world with a compelling premise, then fills that world with bad writing: color-by-number plots, bland characters, and shoddy symbolism.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The show builds a rich, intriguing, and beautiful world with a compelling premise, then fills that world with bad writing: color-by-number plots, bland characters, and shoddy symbolism.

The perfect companion piece to Terror in Resonance.

MikeMyers

10386352_10152715987968552_307807161242377984_n.png

Gorillaz

Sigh, don't remind me. I hope TiR pulls a 180 and makes the main characters the bad guys.

Not going to happen though.
I hope its not going down the road I think of not taking serious the premise and the characters. I felt that way after the beginning

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MM you are behind the times, I mentioned that Amazon Prime thing...months ago.

All of Naruto Uncut is up there and A good chunk of Bleach.

Also Boondocks season 4 looks even worse now that Trailer Park Boys came off of an equally long hiatus also losing its primary creative factor and its better than ever. DECENT even.

MikeMyers

MM you are behind the times, I mentioned that Amazon Prime thing...months ago.

All of Naruto Uncut is up there and A good chunk of Bleach.

Also Boondocks season 4 looks even worse now that Trailer Park Boys came off of an equally long hiatus also losing its primary creative factor and its better than ever. DECENT even.
I don't have an Amazon Prime account. Viz just posted it on their FB page and I thought might as well just share it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
For the people that watched Hellsing Ultimate, what would be edited for content?

Black Lagoon stayed fairly intact, the only changes being bleeps and that one scene of Hansel and Gretel bathing in blood.

For the people that watched Hellsing Ultimate, what would be edited for content?

Black Lagoon stayed fairly intact, the only changes being bleeps and that one scene of Hansel and Gretel bathing in blood.

I feel like there was a scene of a nude women being munched on by vampires, but I may be remembering wrong. Its been over 2 years since I've seen Hellsing Ultimate. If they can get away with the scene the announcement gif depicts most of the series should be fine outside of some language.

Raxus

Honestly the horrific violence and Nazis will go by just fine on American late night. I don't think they even curse (much) in H:U

dan2026

I dont really remember much nudity in Hellsing. If its there its fast.
There is a very brief
rape scene
though.

I dont really remember much nudity in Hellsing. If its there its fast.
There is a very brief
rape scene
though.

I'm okay with anime depicting heinous crimes such as rape and torture, and social taboos like incest, as long as the subject is handled in a responsible way. It needs to be an integral part of the story or spur some sort of character development, not just thrown in for shock value or to give the writer(s) a flimsy excuse to pull a deus ex machina. I'm of the mindset that content creators and distributors, who hold the ability to reach a massive audience and influence people through media, hold a moral obligation to portray these events in a way that doesn't lessen their impact.

Take Sword Art Online for example. One issue I had with the series was how it seemed to pander to the lowest common denominator with Asuna's rape scenes. Here we have this weak damsel in distress who is established as one of the top players in the game, but relegated to hopeless waifu status for Kirito to rescue, subjected to molestation and rape, seemingly out of left field, just to serve as a twisted type of fanservice and flimsy deus ex machina trigger. Why did Reki Kawahara feel the need to have Asuna raped not just once, but twice, just to drive home the point that women are weak and need a man to protect them? It just reeks of immaturity and poor writing.

LOLDSFAN

Wowowo what happened to NeoGAF???

Yep. Apparently there were a few changes.

I noticed the font changes mentioned here (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889409) as well as the blurry resolution described here that I mentioned yesterday (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=395425, http://superuser.com/questions/803710/chrome-37-ui-got-larger-and-became-blurry-on-125-dpi) although not everyone is seeing that.

Looks like my chrome updated once again and fixed all the issues EXCEPT the font in the tabs is larger than it used to be. But now my address bar, website fonts, tab size, etc are back to normal.

jeez

Oh I see.

Raxus

Take Sword Art Online for example. One issue I had with the series was how it seemed to pander to the lowest common denominator with Asuna's rape scenes. Here we have this weak damsel in distress who is established as one of the top players in the game, but relegated to hopeless waifu status for Kirito to rescue, subjected to molestation and rape, seemingly out of left field, just to serve as a twisted type of fanservice and flimsy deus ex machina trigger. Why did Reki Kawahara feel the need to have Asuna raped not just once, but twice, just to drive home the point that women are weak and need a man to protect them? It just reeks of immaturity and poor writing.
Asuna isn't the only person in the series molested more than once.

And that is incredibly, incredibly sad. That is AFTER I gave up on SAO II. God help us if there is more in that. I will have to watch it with the shower already running to clean myself of the filth it showed me periodically.

Yes there are anime that tackle tricky subjects (like incest) head on in a more mature way but they are more adult anime, I haven't watched them only heard from animeGAF and other sources, and I cannot a test for their quality first hand.

Best controversial scene of that nature to me has to be ANIME SPOILER WARNING! B
erzerk
If you are an anime fan you should be able to guess what I am talking about.

Best controversial scene of that nature to me has to be ANIME SPOILER WARNING! B
erzerk

I saw the "B" and thought it was going to be
Btooom!
and I was gonna reply "WHAT?!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Naruto Uncut ends tomorrow (well, early Sunday morning really)

sad to see it get dragged down with a chronic underperformer like Black Lagoon.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Asuna isn't the only person in the series molested more than once.

And that is incredibly, incredibly sad. That is AFTER I gave up on SAO II. God help us if there is more in that. I will have to watch it with the shower already running to clean myself of the filth it showed me periodically.

Yes there are anime that tackle tricky subjects (like incest) head on in a more mature way but they are more adult anime, I haven't watched them only heard from animeGAF and other sources, and I cannot a test for their quality first hand.

erzerk

Revolutionary Girl Utena is the anime I think of when it comes to dealing with incest in a mature light.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But hellsing is old news too, bring more modern shows to fill up that time, let me look at the anime released in the past two years in japan....

On second thought, maybe we need more Outlaw Star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom