• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Naruto Uncut ends tomorrow (well, early Sunday morning really)

sad to see it get dragged down with a chronic underperformer like Black Lagoon.

I'll shower it in gold from the heavens to bid it farewell.
But hellsing is old news too, bring more modern shows to fill up that time, let me look at the anime released in the past two years in japan....

Bring Valvrave to Toonami

Just to watch the world BURN

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Demarco: We worked out a special deal and will be airing Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny every Sunday at 2:30am!

Seda

I like the way you think Man God!

#superiorsubactors

KuGsj.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
1 for pink explosions.
1 for voice actors shared with Inuyasha
1 for death of a minor character, 3 for a major character.
1 every time the end theme starts up before the episode finishes.

I'm okay with anime depicting heinous crimes such as rape and torture, and social taboos like incest, as long as the subject is handled in a responsible way. It needs to be an integral part of the story or spur some sort of character development, not just thrown in for shock value or to give the writer(s) a flimsy excuse to pull a deus ex machina. I'm of the mindset that content creators and distributors, who hold the ability to reach a massive audience and influence people through media, hold a moral obligation to portray these events in a way that doesn't lessen their impact.

Take Sword Art Online for example. One issue I had with the series was how it seemed to pander to the lowest common denominator with Asuna's rape scenes. Here we have this weak damsel in distress who is established as one of the top players in the game, but relegated to hopeless waifu status for Kirito to rescue, subjected to molestation and rape, seemingly out of left field, just to serve as a twisted type of fanservice and flimsy deus ex machina trigger. Why did Reki Kawahara feel the need to have Asuna raped not just once, but twice, just to drive home the point that women are weak and need a man to protect them? It just reeks of immaturity and poor writing.

Agree with this 100%

Revolutionary Girl Utena is the anime I think of when it comes to dealing with incest in a mature light.

I haven't seen Utena, but the anime I always use as an example (can't remember the name) is about a guy and girl who meet and fall for each other, only to discover after the fact their half siblings with the same father. Handles the subject matter in a mature serious way. Will be upset when I remember the name on the way home and someone has already posted it

Moaradin

I haven't seen Utena, but the anime I always use as an example (can't remember the name) is about a guy and girl who meet and fall for each other, only to discover after the fact their half siblings with the same father. Handles the subject matter in a mature serious way. Will be upset when I remember the name on the way home and someone has already posted it

From Up on Poppy Hill?

Koi Kaze

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Smash news has also delayed BLEACH Non-Canon material another day. Sat and Sun will both be DOUBLE WIDE DOUBLE FEATURES.

I actually have most of it done and well before midnight but I'll post them before TOONAMI and do Sunday's after I get up from TOONAMI.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe we'll get lucky & they'll get the rights for it back to reair late at night. In any case, if I ever get the funds, it might be one of those rare animes (hell, rate TV shows or movies in general) I'll actually buy, considering I'm usually the "watch once & I'm good, wait until it shows on TV for free" kind of guys.

Raxus

Yeah, back when we were in the middle of airing the series I saw Roberta's Blood Trail on sale and I paused to debate if I wanted to buy it right away.

Once I have a bit more financial security I may buy some select anime again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom