• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
I hope DBZ Kai was worth it, then. I can't tell if it'll actually be good for ratings. I'm not sure if I'm really excited for it or not. It's such an old show.
You may not be excited for it, but Dbz is still by far the most recognizable anime in the west. You'll get nostalgia views, a lot of days, and a whole slew of people who like Dbz

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Pretty sure they wouldn't be able to afford six hours of new content with or without DBZ Kai.

daveo42

Banned
If the Cooler movie was any indication, DBZ Kai will be bringing the ratings, which will be good for future shows on the block.

Pretty sure they wouldn't be able to afford six hours of new content with or without DBZ Kai.

It's more that Kai probably ate into the money they have now to keep the front half full of new stuff.

i'll be honest, i'm kinda glad they're scaling back the premieres. i don't have an issue with 4 and a half hours of new shows, but when those 4 and a half hours start at 11:30 it gets a little tough

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm fine with the balance they have going for right now. There's only so many hours of new stuff that I can handle, and trying to stay up past 3 AM for a new show can be hard.

I'm fine with the balance they have going for right now. There's only so many hours of new stuff that I can handle, and trying to stay up past 3 AM for a new show can be hard.
Yeah it's even harder for me now that I'm back in school. I can barely stay past 1-1:30PM. Especially since I only stream it.

Tenumi

Banned

I agree completely. I struggle to make it to 2 AM on my good days.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Honestly, it would be a waste of resources to get new stuff for the back end even if they did have the money. Still, this expense report is probably the strongest credence for AoT re-running at 11:30 PM, they may not have had the money to secure a successor yet.

Seda

By the way, Hellsing episode 4 will occupy a 90 minute slot, eating up the Space Dandy rerun.

Looking at run times, episode 10 will as well. That should be it I think.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
well, the reason i posted that is that i think it's kind of interesting that they actually aren't able to get another new show money-wise. i wonder if that means we'll even see it get a replacement, or if they're just stretching their budget out for the year?

It's probably just not worth it for a single airing, like it may be enough to break even but they do need to make some money on top of that. Everything that wasn't years and years old has rerun so it makes sense Titan will do so at least once, no reason not to use it to rake in some free cash.

I know nothing about it, but I dunno if you could have a less interesting title than "The Devil is a Part-Timer"
That's what makes it interesting, silly. Why is the devil working part time? Where is he working? Why not full-time? Gotta watch to find out. sedabox.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I recall he's actually rather good at his job. None of that "OH NOES, HE SUCKS LIVIN' IN A NEW LOCATION! SILLY HIJINKS WHILE HE LEARNS TO ADAPT!" cliche stuff. Hell, in the first episode,
he instantly knows "Hmm, new location, we're gonna need citizenship, proof of ID, a place to live, and a job" & ALL OF THAT is taken care of within the first episode's second half
. What could've easily taken up an episode or two is quickly handled, which was rather nice to see.

tumblr_ncn0wpNr7s1ts2cfmo2_1280.png
tumblr_ncn0wpNr7s1ts2cfmo1_1280.jpg

No way bro...

No...freaking...WAY

daveo42

Banned
No way bro...

No...freaking...WAY

The Tree of Life has actually been used in a handful of anime, including both Eva and FMA. I think the blatant reference here was more towards Eva over FMA due to
the mock crucifixion of Dandy, the color scheme, and the circuit board diagram on the slab itself.

The Tree of Life has actually been used in a handful of anime, including both Eva and FMA. I think the blatant reference here was more towards Eva over FMA due to
the mock crucifixion of Dandy, the color scheme, and the circuit board diagram on the slab itself.
Yeah, that's the typical artsy representation for the Tree of Life / Yggdrasil.

I figured, but the design and slab are very strikingly similar. It's fun searching for these hidden references in Space Dandy.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
well, the reason i posted that is that i think it's kind of interesting that they actually aren't able to get another new show money-wise. i wonder if that means we'll even see it get a replacement, or if they're just stretching their budget out for the year?

I don't read that comment as a "we can't afford another show so we have to rerun it" statement but rather a "it doesn't make any financial sense to spend the money on this show and only run it once" kind of statement.

I don't read that comment as a "we can't afford another show so we have to rerun it" statement but rather a "it doesn't make any financial sense to spend the money on this show and only run it once" kind of statement.

Agreed, attack on titan was probably a very expensive show to license gotta make sure you milk it for as much as you can

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The amount of media that uses Yggdrasil are as numerous as its roots. It's a very popular legend.

Wait do none of these episodes have consistent runtimes? >.>

It's an OVA series, meaning direct-to-video with no time restrictions.

Soulflarz

Banned
EDIT: Gotta love my school proxy, where it actually takes so long to reload that it *actually* passed the 5m minimum requirement for a repeat post :/

Bio-Frost

Tomorrow is going to be a good day. Persona 4 Ultimax, One Piece: Season Six, Voyage One, and Shadow The Hedgehog(I know, i know, but I want to see how shadows story ends) all coming from amazon tomorrow. Anyone else getting Ultimax on ps3 here?

Regiruler

Yeah, that's the typical artsy representation for the Tree of Life / Yggdrasil.

In terms of trees of life, I prefer Sefirot, personally.

It's less so a physical tree, but it and the teachings that surround it are such a fascinating subject that I give it a pass.
Not to mention it has been the inspiration for countless yugioh cards, such as Macro Cosmos, the Timelords, and the storyline involving the Naturia Sacred Tree (including the Shaddolls, Qliphorts, and Infernoids).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Tomorrow is going to be a good day. Persona 4 Ultimax, One Piece: Season Six, Voyage One, and Shadow The Hedgehog(I know, i know, but I want to see how shadows story ends) all coming from amazon tomorrow. Anyone else getting Ultimax on ps3 here?
Yup, pickin' up my copy from GameStop after class (though I'll have another class as well not long after). Plus my copy of Hyrule Warriors (& that Hardcore Gaming 101 book on Castlevania) will probably arrive tomorrow as well....then SSB on Friday. This is gonna be a busy week....

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So the former most requested were DBZ, Sailor Moon, Kill LA Kill, Jojo and HunterxHunter. And before that was DBZ, Attack on Titan, SAO, Fairy Tail and Toriko....

Welcome to Toonami, JOJO/HUNTER/FAIRY-TAIL/TORIKO!

Jarate

Banned
So the former most requested were DBZ, Sailor Moon, Kill LA Kill, Jojo and HunterxHunter. And before that was DBZ, Attack on Titan, SAO, Fairy Tail and Toriko....

Welcome to Toonami, JOJO/HUNTER/FAIRY-TAIL/TORIKO!

has anyone here actually heard the Jojo dub at all?

Toriko has a pretty good dub, and it would also have the best intro song of any series

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
has anyone here actually heard the Jojo dub at all?

Toriko has a pretty good dub, and it would also have the best intro song of any series
It was rather good. Abdul sounded a bit...strange, but not bad. Think just different from what I'd expect. Joseph is played by Batsu from Ghost in the Shell and Bo-Bobo from Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, so he fits the part great. Not nearly has hammy (though we've yet to reach the random swearing), but still fun to listen to.

Overall, it was done rather well. I really wish Crunchyroll would put them back up or something so people can show support in getting the rest of the series dubbed/licensed/whatever the hell's happening with the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom