• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
A couple months ago I found out clicking the little GAF image next to the thread brought you to the newest post. I felt pretty dumb because I'd always click the thread then click View First Unread.

To the left of it? No....? Just tried.
If you mean the grey thing, thats an arrow, not a gaf icon >.>

LOLDSFAN

Arrow?

rFUy2NB.png

Raxus

I am slightly sad they didn't run Young Justice after BtB ended. Good news? It is going to be my first go around for GitS: 2nd GiG

My list of movies and series I hope make it to Toonami:

Movies:
Redline
Metropolis
One Piece: Strong World (spoilers be damned)

Anime:
JoJo Parts 1&2/Stardust Crusaders
Tiger and Bunny
Gundam Build Fighters (unlikely but still)

Hate Watches:
Aldnoah Zero
Valvrave
SAO II

Classics:
Batman: TAS
Young Justice
Megas XLR :)'''( )

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I like Mad Bull 34 unironically but SAO is where I draw the line. I only watch it because I feel I secretly hate myself.
Saw a review of that & I feel like I should check it out one of these days just to experience the insane stuff that happens in it.

Also, hearing movie month is coming back reminds me of the sad fact the Gurren Lagann movies never got dubbed, from what I've heard.

Soulflarz

Banned
There's also an arrow on the far right side beside Replies that does the same thing. I rarely use either though.

MzjKv7V.png

Thats what I was referring to. Clicking the GAF icon doesnt work for me (it just puts me on the first page/a random or odd spot, I dont know why)

Saw a review of that & I feel like I should check it out one of these days just to experience the insane stuff that happens in it.

Also, hearing movie month is coming back reminds me of the sad fact the Gurren Lagann movies never got dubbed, from what I've heard.

You're not missing much. The Gurren Lagann movies are just summations of the first and second half of the series.

Moaradin

Yeah, the second Gurren Lagann movie is worth watching. It adds to an already incredible ending. It's a shame those movies never got dubbed though.

Moaradin

I'll give both Gundam shows a shot. Build Fighters is really the only Gundam thing I'm familiar with and I love the light-hearted tone to it. The other one looks like it isn't gonna be super serious either, so I can appreciate that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SAB died for to make this art. May his memory live on.
*14.8 Billion Years Later* I'm glad you guys enjoyed the last Toonami Draw Pile! Now let's go hang out at Bazoongas!

*ahem*

==

Random thoughts and stuff after skimming over the past few pages:

y'know, the pacing of Gurren Lagann or Attack on Titan really don't bother me.

Gurren proves it can rock when given the chance already, and the characters are fun to follow. Even if the episodes are weird or seem to lack in overall strength... I never felt like I wanted to quit the show.

And Titan does stuff so well when it gets there, I don't entirely mind the slow setup. Honestly, I'm often times more agitated by the pacing in One Piece than AoT. Even when there's not much happening, I still enjoy how overblown everything is. Maybe that makes it feel so stylistically consistent, helping the show still feel like even the less-important stuff is still related to the general feeling of the work? *shrug*

Bleach: Thematically, I can kinda enjoy where it is at the moment. Ichigo has spent the last few episodes having everything robbed from him, JUST when he was finally able to get to a point where he could actively DO something about things again, and it all gets ripped from him in a second.

He honestly breaks down pretty bad for a shonen hero. I was pleasantly surprised they let him get that lost for a while. Well, here goes all the power that came with the new look! Ok, that's kinda....

....Oh, he's been run through again! Mysterious POWER UP! Back to normal + a few modifications!

While there is a "he didn't earn this!" feel to some of it... that's not entirely true. Much like how FMA 2003 toys with the idea of the journey to reclaim something being the cost paid to get something in the end, Ichigo's past relationships are what's paying for this new power, earned from the support of those he's come to know over the (days? Months? Eesh.)

We're back to what Shonen does best; figure out oddball ways for characters to mysteriously gain new abilities with barely any time needed to achieve them (Hi Second Gear!) It's kinda trite, but I appreciate the breadcrumbs the show is dropping anyway:

• Riruka does seem kinda bleh right now. We don't really know if everyone on Ginjo's side is happy with how things turned out.
  • Tsukishima's abilities leave a person with memory of what they did before and after cuts? I'm kinda surprised it's not a full reset button.
  • IchiPapa and Mr. Hat-and-Clogs both talked somewhat forebodingly about this method of powering up Ichigo. What's the side effects?

Dandy Finale: I have to admit, I kinda don't like the pyonium stuff. It feels like an element that was introduced in the last 2 eps, just to give us an extra link to solidify the ending.

This isn't ENTIRELY true, as we've always known there was something special about him, but the way it went from "never mentioned" to "EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT IT IS!" just felt off.

Traitorous Bea! Ok, that was fun. Massive Dr. Gel that crushes Bea was sudden, but works well enough. Dandy surviving Imminent Death due to the power of Honey's pantyflash was very Dandy. As was turning down Godhood due to not being able to physically indulge in physicality any more.

The show was somewhat pointless, but I don't think that really matters. It's a creation made just for everyone involved to have fun. Dandy is less a character, and more of a concept. In this way, he reminds me of something like Lupin the Third; you could make annual stories about him forever, because he can fit into anything you want him to.

I'd actually love to see this. A new Dandy special every year, made to kick off the month of Movies or something, would be fantastic. I wouldn't mind him being as Iconic to Toonami as Tom.

Movie Month!: Screw new Anime, lets go with Dirty Pair: Project Eden and Slayers: The Motion Picture! YEAH!

...Really though, I like the mix of older things (Like Akira) along with newer works. Are there any western animated movies Toonami could air? Wakfu OVAs or something? Maybe the Studio Mir + DreamWorks stuff could pop up on Toonami in a few years...

Along with movies, I'd love to see a 1 night Marathon of a short series. Most of Gundam Unicorn in 1 big Marathon? 8th MS Team week?

Backend Block Special!: You think they'd ever do silly stuff with the backend of the block, just because they could? Turner used to air Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival ALL THE TIME back in the day. I'd actually enjoy a late night Classic's Theater every once in a while.

Crocodile

Hilarious gif from the buried alive woman thread.

iMB1Uhq65bhRL.gif

Is that the original version of that gif? I've NEVER seen the original version until now LOL

Dandy Finale: I have to admit, I kinda don't like the pyonium stuff. It feels like an element that was introduced in the last 2 eps, just to give us an extra link to solidify the ending.

This isn't ENTIRELY true, as we've always known there was something special about him, but the way it went from "never mentioned" to "EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT IT IS!" just felt off.

Traitorous Bea! Ok, that was fun. Massive Dr. Gel that crushes Bea was sudden, but works well enough. Dandy surviving Imminent Death due to the power of Honey's pantyflash was very Dandy. As was turning down Godhood due to not being able to physically indulge in physicality any more.

The show was somewhat pointless, but I don't think that really matters. It's a creation made just for everyone involved to have fun. Dandy is less a character, and more of a concept. In this way, he reminds me of something like Lupin the Third; you could make annual stories about him forever, because he can fit into anything you want him to.

I'd actually love to see this. A new Dandy special every year, made to kick off the month of Movies or something, would be fantastic. I wouldn't mind him being as Iconic to Toonami as Tom.

Pyonium has been name dropped several times over the course of the series. The events of episodes 10 and 13 in particular are entirely due to Pyonium for example. I think the last two episodes are amongst the clearest explanation about it we've gotten but its not at all a new concept to the series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 41:

Right, so after enduring a couple of the worst episodes Sailor Moon Season 1 had to offer we finally get out of formula and get back to important matters. Endimyion finally gets his spotlight as he connives to get the defeated seven great monsters and combine them into one unstoppable beast using the dark crystal. It isn't the best plan in the world, even the series points out this is a bit of lazy recycling, but I will take that over more stupid princess training. Interestingly enough the focus here is on Rei since they brought out love interest Ryo out of mothballs and they seemed to have given Crystal Rei's no dating mantra over to Ami for some reason.

The whole Ami-Ryo romance just reminds me of my overall problem with most of the romance in this show, they did a pretty decent build up of having Ryo and Ami become an official couple but this is his last appearance, so any emotional investment goes up in smoke. No real reason given, he just vanishes into the ether. The whole running away from love thing is even funnier when you know in later seasons that Ami's shyness gets so bad that she has allergic reactions to love letters.
Overall, this was a rather solid outing that comes recommend to watch.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 42

Fun fact, the shitheads over at DiC back in the day decided to leave this episode on the cutting room floor and it is the first time that they truly fucked up in their choices in exclusion. This episode is supremely important as it finally establishes Minako's backstory and actually gives her some much needed personality and character development. I told Bass that Minako becomes the ditz and her personality, especially in the anime runs lockstep with Usagi quite a lot of the time. What distinguishes her, at least at the outset, is the bent of tragedy that surrounds her. That is a constant across all continuities though the details do change wildly. Beneath the veneer of the bubbly, fun loving personality lies a bit of a deep recess of pain and loneliness that once again varies depending on the medium. Here in the anime it is quite mild compared to the other line but it is still tragic.

Minako merely finds herself on the wrong end of a love triangle and decides to engage in classical stoicism in order for her best friend and ex-boyfriend to find happiness.
I'll be honest, the manga and even the live action series did a better job but not watering things down and making the personal tragedy a much bigger part of her core of being. In general I think the anime series just resolutely mangled Minako's character so very badly and indeed one its greatest failings. Anyway, this one comes recommended if only to spite the rotten corpse of DiC.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 41:

The whole running away from love thing is even funnier when you know in later seasons that Ami's shyness gets so bad that she has allergic reactions to love letters.

Actually by the last season
Ami alongside everyone but Usagi is all over the Starlights and is flirting with them

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Actually by the last season
Ami alongside everyone but Usagi is all over the Starlights and is flirting with them

Now that I think about it and double checking
he love allergy happened in a side story short that I think was non-canonical.
Still, for the most part Ami is one of the more love lorn scouts.

http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/118437277161

Please don't rerun Attack on Titan just because of how popular AOT is. The block has enough reruns on the second half already along with the big three being in the front.

We don't have money to acquire a show like AOT without rerunning it. Toonami runs on a small budget. You may not like it, and you don't have to watch, but we don't have the money to give you six and a half new hours every single week.
hmmmm

MikeMyers

Now that I think about it and double checking
he love allergy happened in a side story short that I think was non-canonical.
Still, for the most part Ami is one of the more love lorn scouts.
That mini-episode came from the "Sailor Moon Short Stories" manga, and since the manga was always different in characterization (especially Rei), it kind of came across as out of character to people who had only seen the anime.

well, the reason i posted that is that i think it's kind of interesting that they actually aren't able to get another new show money-wise. i wonder if that means we'll even see it get a replacement, or if they're just stretching their budget out for the year?

daveo42

Banned
well, the reason i posted that is that i think it's kind of interesting that they actually aren't able to get another new show money-wise. i wonder if that means we'll even see it get a replacement, or if they're just stretching their budget out for the year?

I'm sure it will eventually fall off the block depending on the contract itself and how well it does ratings-wise with a rerun. I'm guessing DBZ Kai cost a pretty penny and we'll see that cost into 2015.

ckohler

I hope DBZ Kai was worth it, then. I can't tell if it'll actually be good for ratings. I'm not sure if I'm really excited for it or not. It's such an old show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom