• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

A) Prison School is great. Besides some weird pacing issues at the start and the annoying censorship, the only big flaw of the Prison School anime is that it won't touch the superior second arc.

B) I haven't finished "A World Without Dirty Jookes" but the two biggest issues have probably been that Kajo is all bark and no bite and that Okuma is too much of a wet blanket.

C) Dengeki Bunko looks thoroughly unappealing. I don't see the appeal unless you are WAY into the included properties. It doesn't even seem to have a consistent aesthetic/artstyle.

Was anime still a mistake?
Yep

OH SHIT you're back! Neat. It's been at least several months, did you just come back now or have I just been blind?

Anime can be alright sometimes.

C) Dengeki Bunko looks thoroughly unappealing. I don't see the appeal unless you are WAY into the included properties. It doesn't even seem to have a consistent aesthetic/artstyle.

You'd be surprised. It actually plays well and looks nice in motion, but yeah. The character's designs besides Akira and Selvaria are pretty garbage

They have Holo only as an assist ;_;

Gorillaz

Chick at my job has a SAO wallpaper for her desk PC

Was going to bring it up but then I thought about what it would look like to bring up SAO in public. Then I went silent.

Soulflarz

Banned

Was going to bring it up but then I thought about what it would look like to bring up SAO in public. Then I went silent.

Do the logical thing.
Talk and lightly flirt with her a ton so she likes you and then one day offhand mention SAO and how you saw it and had these issues with it. If you do it right, she'll slowly conform to your viewpoint without even realizing it.

Rutger

Banned

Dengeki Bunko would be a lot more appealing if it had some Baccano! characters. :|

Line_HTX

Do the logical thing.
Talk and lightly flirt with her a ton so she likes you and then one day offhand mention SAO and how you saw it and had these issues with it. If you do it right, she'll slowly conform to your viewpoint without even realizing it.

I doubt she would change her mind.

So....the dub is bad, and the show is bad too?

It'll do wonderful on Toonami.

This post was to remind you that both Black Lagoon and Gurren Lagann both pulled in "okay" ratings.

So....the dub is bad, and the show is bad too?

It'll do wonderful on Toonami.

This post was to remind you that both Black Lagoon and Gurren Lagann both pulled in "okay" ratings.

Parasyte is a great manga with a goodish anime adaptation in the maxim. The anime attempted to update the series into a more modern day but kept the writing and characters in the time it was written which lead to some people really not liking it aka oni.

I thought it was really good though it does have warts its not perfect but I had a lot of fun watching it and not on the way I enjoy shlock like AgK or Seraph. Of course with a sentai dub who knows what'll happen.

Reminds me of last semester when a student asked me if I liked SAO, then I went to proclaim that ALfheim Online was the best arc. We had a fun discussion.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To be fair, A LOT of people already watched Gurren Lagann, considering how big it was back when it came out & it's been out for quite some time. Hell, Toonami was my 3rd time watching it & the 2nd time seeing it dubbed. That would most likely explain why it got "okay" ratings.

I haven't read the Parasyte manga, but from what I've heard (& what Bass said), they tried updating some stuff since the original series ran from '88 to '95, so they wanted to modernize the setting, but I think in return, it caused a few problems because they didn't think of how it'd affect the plot, such as cellphones. But again, I need to see how the manga differs from the anime to fully understand how modernizing the setting affected the overall plot.

....or maybe it was just that they didn't update the characters themselves to be more "modern" & we have '90s style characters in a 2014 series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Should have said something like, "That's a cool wallpaper, where'd you find it?" When it comes to anime in the real world you gotta down play your own interest as you slowly feel out how interested the other person is, she could very well have just seen it and thought it looked cool, could be a rabid fan, or even just a minor one. Finding out someone is interested in anime and trying to talk to them about it is like approaching a hippogriff, gotta do it slowly and cautiously until you know what's what.

Hey guys not gonna be on tomorrow and MAYBE not here for next week either so ill try to watch the SAO finale on my own hope everyone has a good toonami night :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Parasyte manga is so old even old man Man God knew what it was and assumed it was a remake instead of more of a remaster.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Someone send this to the Lich King:

“Yu Yu Hakusho is definitely an underrated anime, and it’s given us some of the most vibrant and well-remembered characters ever.”
—Barack Obama
Unprompted

Line_HTX

Well, Yu Yu Hakusho is definitely underrated. I'd say it was the best thing to come out of OG Adult Swim Action when that programming block started.

Rutger

Banned
Well, Yu Yu Hakusho is definitely underrated. I'd say it was the best thing to come out of OG Adult Swim Action when that programming block started.

I never would have thought of YYH as underrated. It certainly never got as popular as certain other manga/anime, but I don't know, it's just not a series I ever see people saying "never heard of it" or "it sucks".

Maybe I'm wrong though, I don't pay much attention to what the typical anime fan is watching.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Less underrated and more handled badly.

Too popular to leave on Saturday nights, so they make it weeknights. Then they decided it was going to be DBZ's replacement on afternoons, so it had to be reedited for that block. Then when it failed there it was pushed to early Saturday mornings to run off the rest of the show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah that was about what I expected...
Shinichi sounds like the same voice as Takumi on AgK.

I will agree, Migi is actually alright.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's.........not AS bad as I was fearing. Migi sounds fine for the most part, & it took a few more line reads, but I think Shinichi is alright as well. Granted, all I can think of is "man, I can't help but wonder how much better it would've been if Funimation got this".

If anything, I think Sentai has a bigger problem with HOW they have the VAs read/deliver their lines rather than the actual voices themselves. They need better directors &/or give better direction to the VAs. I absolutely fear how they're going to handle Shokugeki no Soma, a show all about overreacting to how good food tastes, when it sounds like half the cast of their dubs sound bored or have no idea how they're suppose to inflict their voice for the current situation. Though granted, my only experience with them is Girls Und Panzer, AgK, & now this.

I want to say it's slightly better than AgK's dub based on what we heard (though there's still a few characters I need to hear), but I'll wait & see.

Yeah that was about what I expected...
Shinichi sounds like the same voice as Takumi on AgK.

I will agree, Migi is actually alright.
I actually had that thought as well, though I think it's confirmed Shinichi & Takumi have different VAs. Shinichi is voiced by the same guy who voiced the main boy in Grave of the Fireflies.

bEf2r8b.gif

With that subpar directing, we won't be able to tell the difference between the parasytes and the humans.

Moaradin

Parasyte is pretty bland visually. The director for the show hasn't done much, so it doesn't surprise me. I still think the show is pretty good even with it's flaws. A bad dub will probably butcher it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom