• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't that bad though.

Eh, true.

Sheele's death more shocked me because I wasn't expecting a main character to get killed so early in the series. I realize in retrospect the death flags were pretty obvious where a few episodes ago "WE CAN DIE AT ANYTIME" and the previous episodes giving Sheele a big focus as the one somewhat sane character in Night Raid that Tatsumi was able to bond with. I can get the complaints of it feeling like a cheap death, but I think it does it's job of making a very clear "no one is safe in this series" statement. The dub clearly doesn't help anything though as it makes all the drama even more hilariously with all the bad acting and line reads.

I wasn't really shocked because I think once you base your entire show around the idea of being SHOCKING, it pretty much preps us for anything. I won't say I saw the death coming, but it was definitely something within the realm of possibility given the kind of show Akame ga Kill tries to be. That being said, I was vaguely amused by that whole turn of events until the show started to believe we actually cared about the character and tried so very hard to make us cry.

tumblr_nuylc0Ht5W1r3nw1vo1_500.gif

Eh, true.

I wasn't really shocked because I think once you base your entire show around the idea of being SHOCKING, it pretty much preps us for anything. I won't say I saw the death coming, but it was definitely something within the realm of possibility given the kind of show Akame ga Kill tries to be. That being said, I was vaguely amused by that whole turn of events until the show started to believe we actually cared about the character and tried so very hard to make us cry.

It was perfectly within the realm of possibility for AgK to pull an AoT where none of the major named characters ever die just the secondary support characters. Say what you will but it's apparent that people who see shows on Toonami first and post in this thread do get influenced by the teasing and general anime gaf culture osmosis. Even in this line of shonen series when named characters get killed there's generally a build up to their death either they'll get a major push while saying very cryptic "who knows this could be the last time" shenanigans like how Asuma's death is handled in Naruto. AgK is somewhat (perhaps unintentionally) clever in that it hides that for Sheele by having her episode with Tatsumi following episodes where he'd partnered with Mine and Akame in a similar fashion.

I'll admit their attempt to make it emotional fell flat, doubly behind the awful voice acting. The series should have kept Sheele alive a bit longer so that Tatsumi and the audience could have gotten more time to know her and seen her interact with the main cast before her sudden death. Of course even if AgK was written perfectly it's hard to say if these scenes would have the impact their supposed to due to the amateur dub.

It was perfectly within the realm of possibility for AgK to pull an AoT where none of the major named characters ever die just the secondary support characters. Say what you will but it's apparent that people who see shows on Toonami first and post in this thread do get influenced by the teasing and general anime gaf culture osmosis. Even in this line of shonen series when named characters get killed there's generally a build up to their death either they'll get a major push while saying very cryptic "who knows this could be the last time" shenanigans like how Asuma's death is handled in Naruto. AgK is somewhat (perhaps unintentionally) clever in that it hides that for Sheele by having her episode with Tatsumi following episodes where he'd partnered with Mine and Akame in a similar fashion.

I'll admit their attempt to make it emotional fell flat, doubly behind the awful voice acting. The series should have kept Sheele alive a bit longer so that Tatsumi and the audience could have gotten more time to know her and seen her interact with the main cast before her sudden death. Of course even if AgK was written perfectly it's hard to say if these scenes would have the impact their supposed to due to the amateur dub.

I didn't say it was for sure going to happen, but it was always on the table. When a show basically has a mission statement of "BE EDGY AND HORRIFYING", it has to do even more work to deliver on that because then viewers start to expect it. And while Sheele did get a feature episode to throw people off, I'd say Tatsumi and Akame are still the only ones who feel like they would generate real surprise if they die. Though Akame might partially be because of the show's title.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'm finally back from Florida, just in time.

Tonight on Toonami, Vegeta jumps into the fray to show off his new (Super Saiyan?) powers, Esdeath is ordered to take down Night Raid by the Emperor while Night Raid mourns the loss of Sheele (incidentally, this is the first time I've EVER seen "Zenpen" translated as "First Half"), a demoted Zenigat-err..Atsuko befriends a young girl in a sleepy town far from her intended quarry, Asuna meets up with Yuuki one last time in SAO's second season finale, Shikamaru's squad with Kakashi in tow set their sights on Hidan and Kakuzu, the Straw Hats are dicking around in the City of Water because why not and Luffy and Chopper run across a young girl looking for her lost pet yagara (why yes, this is filler, why do you ask?), and Eren and Annie tear Stohess apart in their epic showdown in Attack on Titan's first series finale.

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 40 - Frieza's Final Transformation! The Ultimate Nightmare Begins!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 41 - The Moment of Truth Approaches! Goku Back in Action!
12:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 7 - Kill the Three Beasts - First Half
1:00 - Michiko e Hatchin - 13 - Goldfish of the Marsh
1:30 - Sword Art Online II - 24 - Mother's Rosario - END
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 83 - Target: Locked On
2:30 - One Piece - 317 - The Girl in Search of Her Yagara! Great Search in the City of Water!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 25 - Wall: Assault on Stohess, Part 3 - END

Crocodile

Been back for less than a week :p

Cool. I just looked through your post history and saw you made the Marines? Congrats! I'm sure you'll do us all proud :)

Meh, sounds.........ok.......ish

No worries breh the voice directing isn't the only thing direction that's subpar in Parasyte

latest

Fair point.
Though the way the people in the manga thread talk about it, they act like it's going to be revered for years.

Well.......they aren't wrong. Prison School is GREAT. I don't know if it's above weird dub alterations but you are WAY underselling it. It's ok if its not your jam though.

I think it's hilarious that the argument has literally become "it's actually about ethics in anime dub scripting!" when people are pretending the issue is "keep your personal views out of the script!" instead of "YOU MADE FUN OF GAMERGATE YOU FUCK."

I'm glad the irony was not lost on other people besides myself :p

Well, takes a look see at this new HxH...

"Hida Kizuna possesses the HHG (Heart Hybrid Gear) ability, but it is not strong enough to make him particularly important.His older sister calls him to transfer to a strategic defense school, where many of the students (many of which are large-breasted girls) use their HHG abilities to fight invaders from another world while wearing extremely skimpy pilot outfits. Kizuna's fighting ability doesn't measure up, but his sister has another plan-- apparently having erotic experiences with Kizuna will allow the girls to replenish their energy or power-up. It looks like his new school life is going to be full of embarrassment!"

Sounds terrible.

I look forward to watching.

I'm not sure you could write a more generic synopsis for an anime if you tried. Jesus Fucking Christ :/

With all of the everyone dies parts and none of the other parts.

By that logic any series that has named character death is similar to every other series that has named character death. The closest anime series I can compare to And Then There Were None is Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers because both are trapped room mystery anime with the only difference being the characters aren't dying one by one in Rokka. If you want to compare AgK to another series because of the all main characters die and no one is sacred compare it to A Song Of Fire And Ice/Game of Thrones where your comparison would be far closer.

The only comparison you could make is that the original title of the book, 10 Little N******, is pretty #edgy, like AGK

That title originally came out in 1939 from a British writer who was referencing an 1868 song Ten Little Injuns and the series was never released under that title in the US. Though of course the americanized 10 little Indians version isn't politically correct anymore either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For as cliche and stupid as the humor in AgK and SAO can be, at least it's easy to understand what the jokes are. It's amazing how many times in a Seth McFarlane "comedy" you're just left going "huh" or "what" wondering what the joke was where sometimes there wasn't a joke at all.

Crocodile

For as cliche and stupid as the humor in AgK and SAO can be, at least it's easy to understand what the jokes are. It's amazing how many times in a Seth McFarlane "comedy" you're just left going "huh" or "what" wondering what the joke was where sometimes there wasn't a joke at all.

Seth MacFarlane Comedy:

Are you high on something?

No?

Were you born in the year 1980 or earlier?

No?

Then you should probably change the channel :p

Though to be slightly fair, when Seth's comedy isn't being REALLY stupid or offensive, sometimes the jokes hit. Stuff like AgK and SAO have higher floors but lower ceilings. I'd also say American Dad is a legitimately funny show in a way Family Guy can no longer hope to approach or equal.

Seth MacFarlane Comedy:

Are you high on something?

No?

Were you born in the year 1980 or earlier?

No?

Then you should probably change the channel :p

Though to be slightly fair, when Seth's comedy isn't being REALLY stupid or offensive, sometimes the jokes hit. Stuff like AgK and SAO have higher floors but lower ceilings. I'd also say American Dad is a legitimately funny show in a way Family Guy can no longer hope to approach or equal.

Half the time when Seth actually has a funny joke he clearly has no faith in his audience as he over explains the joke before and after. Combine that with the fact that half his humor is references where there is no joke it's just a "do you remember that, it's funny because reference" and you have truly some of the dullest comedy out there.

Crocodile

Half the time when Seth actually has a funny joke he clearly has no faith in his audience as he over explains the joke before and after. Combine that with the fact that half his humor is references where there is no joke it's just a "do you remember that, it's funny because reference" and you have truly some of the dullest comedy out there.

I don't disagree with any of this. The lows of Seth's comedy can be LOW as fuck. My only point is that FG can get me to laugh once in a blue moon (and I still maintain America Dad is more good than bad). AgK and SAO, when they are trying to be funny, just........aren't.

I remember Ted being okay.

I never saw the sequel but I went to see the first one in theaters and didn't regret my decision.

The biggest problem I have with Seth's work isn't that it's not funny.

Loads of comedies are unfunny, and I don't actively dislike them.

Seth's work however is so fucking mean spirited, that due to its success, it has poisoned modern comedy.

I don't have a problem with dark humor. I love it actually. Archer is fantastic.

But Seth's work is often that rare blend of stupid and hateful mix of comedy that people don't seem to ever have an issue with.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The biggest problem I have with Seth's work isn't that it's not funny.

Loads of comedies are unfunny, and I don't actively dislike them.

Seth's work however is so fucking mean spirited, that due to its success, it has poisoned modern comedy.

I don't have a problem with dark humor. I love it actually. Archer is fantastic.

But Seth's work is often that rare blend of stupid and hateful mix of comedy that people don't seem to ever have an issue with.

Yeah, the mean-spirited nature is what makes it worse.

"They CHOOSE to be gay" ... Jeez

And people getting crushed by the Price is Right wheel. That's not funny.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane
Fuck Seth MacFarlane

Yeah, the mean-spirited nature is what makes it worse.

"They CHOOSE to be gay" ... Jeez

And people getting crushed by the Price is Right wheel. That's not funny.

Again there is a funny concept for a joke in there IE the wheel on that show is pretty heavy and often contestants need the help of the host to get enough of a spin for it to make one complete rotation... but Seth does nothing clever with it

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I get to make popcorn once a week, I choose Toonami, & then I have to make it in my smaller microwave in my room to which there isn't enough room for the bag to spin because people are sleeping upstairs in the living room, i.e. next to the kitchen.

Hate how I can't walk around in MY house at night, especially now that I have to stay up until 5 to 7 a.m. in the morning to keep my body adjusted to 3rd shift.

Anyways, yay, Toonami in a few minutes.

Regiruler

You people are sick and disgusting
Why I expected anything else betrays me

My trump card plan Beta that I was going to use for toonami didn't work out because apparently it's locked up this time of night (no comp sci lounge dominance).

He's actually going to abide by the contract and give me the TV til 2:30am (I can't be bothered to ask for the TV during one piece when I don't really care about it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom