• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

If Toonami and Funimation can pull off AoT simuldub airing shortly after it's Japanese airing that'd be a major win for everyone.
One wonders if the second season might suffer production issues similar to the first season's that would put the kibosh on any plans like that.

I kinda worry that Funimation won't give us any broadcast dubs because it would take more cash than AS/Toonami will pay to convince them to part with something that's getting people to pay their subscription fees.

One wonders if the second season might suffer production issues similar to the first season's that would put the kibosh on any plans like that.

I'm assuming AS/Toonami/Funimation would not care in the slightest about that. We might but as all of Funi's broadcast dubs are redone/touched up for the final disc release I doubt any of the parties involved would be too concerned about it. If it's good enough to air on Japanese TV it's good enough to air on US TV :p

I kinda worry that Funimation won't give us any broadcast dubs because it would take more cash than AS/Toonami will pay to convince them to part with something that's getting people to pay their subscription fees.

If anything it'd be a good advertisement for their other broadcast dubs, the Space Dandy experiment did well enough for them to go all in on the idea would be silly for them to not partner with AS again in the future if the opportunity arose. Besides being able to advertise "watch AoT S2 and many other broadcast dubs on demand when you want" is an easy selling point even with S2 airing on TV.

Moaradin

So far we haven't seen any of their Broadcast dubs on Toonami.

Hope we see Kekkai Sensen one day. That's my favorite broadcast dub so far, though they all have been pretty good so far.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
... what? I had this nice reply wrote out for the SAO stuff, and when I try to post, it said I activated some kind of Gaf security token, and said I could speak to an admin if I thought this was caused in error.

... So, trying to speak about SAO gets me in GAF trouble? WTH.

Bleh. I don't even feel like summarizing. But is it so hard to believe a writer stumbles onto a theme because of how he personally feels, rather than think he's specifically writing sympathy and reliability, when he seems to not believe such is needed for characters?

Ino's mind taking isn't a mind swap, she just basically overwrites the person's own mind to become the dominant personality. We saw this when she used it on Sakura when Sakura was able to force her out.

It's interesting how Ino's mind swap seemed broken at first glance, but it has a few weak points that could be exploited.

Seda

... what? I had this nice reply wrote out for the SAO stuff, and when I try to post, it said I activated some kind of Gaf security token, and said I could speak to an admin if I thought this was caused in error.

Bleh. I don't even feel like summarizing. But is it so hard to believe a writer stumbles onto a theme because of how he personally feels, rather than think he's specifically writing sympathy and reliability, when he seems to not believe such is needed for characters?

Usually happens if a browser page is open too long

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Usually happens if a browser page is open too long

Thanks for letting me know, I've never seen it happen before. And it's not like I haven't liked to write novel-as-replies in my years here. I totally blame SAO. KaYaBaaaa...

Not necessarily, but the only thing I actually get out of SAO is not "I feel sometimes the world isn't viewed in black and white; bad things can have good outcomes." I get "shit dude I like this concept but I'm stuck." Like I said, the fact that the villains always, always, always become drooling lunatics overrides any perceived ambiguity for me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not necessarily, but the only thing I actually get out of SAO is not "I feel sometimes the world isn't viewed in black and white; bad things can have good outcomes." I get "shit dude I like this concept but I'm stuck." Like I said, the fact that the villains always, always, always become drooling lunatics overrides any perceived ambiguity for me.

It feels a bit like the writer wrote a crazy-ass lunatic bad guy, which isn't a bad thing at all, those bad guys can often be amazing, but then saw a bunch of more gray bad guys and decided he wanted to do that instead only he never went back and fixed the earlier stuff.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It feels a bit like the writer wrote a crazy-ass lunatic bad guy, which isn't a bad thing at all, those bad guys can often be amazing, but then saw a bunch of more gray bad guys and decided he wanted to do that instead only he never went back and fixed the earlier stuff.

Or decided to move the fuck on from his original crazy bad guy and use a new person as the gray area bad guy.

Kayaba was a mass murdering control freak. But for some reason, him making an open source MMO engine is supposed to make him a sympathetic character. Then Kirito continues to talk about how much he admires the man who trapped him inside some twisted life-or-death virtual simulation against his will for 2 years. And it continues with this asspull "He made this medical device thing!" out of nowhere.

I can't believe we have people in this thread defending this crap, when the other major villains have been crazy rapists who lick the ears of their victims with crazy faces before they go to work. like what the FUCK? It's clear this hack has no ability write gray area anything.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Or decided to move the fuck on from his original crazy bad guy and use a new person as the gray area bad guy.

Kayaba was a mass murdering control freak. But for some reason, him making an open source MMO engine is supposed to make him a sympathetic character. Then Kirito continues to talk about how much he admires the man who trapped him inside some twisted life-or-death virtual simulation against his will for 2 years. And it continues with this asspull "He made this medical device thing!" out of nowhere.

I can't believe we have people in this thread defending this crap, when the other major villains have been crazy rapists who lick the ears of their victims with crazy faces before they go to work. like what the FUCK? It's clear this hack has no ability write gray area anything.

1Qd1l5F.gif

If anything it'd be a good advertisement for their other broadcast dubs, the Space Dandy experiment did well enough for them to go all in on the idea would be silly for them to not partner with AS again in the future if the opportunity arose. Besides being able to advertise "watch AoT S2 and many other broadcast dubs on demand when you want" is an easy selling point even with S2 airing on TV.

That kinda depends on if they'd actually consider it worthwhile to use what would be their biggest broadcast dub short of Dragon Ball Super as an advertisement for their service rather than a reason to subscribe to it. And I can definitely see that going both ways.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Another thing I said in the post that was devoured, was that I don't think SAO author guy thinks he has to redeem Kayaba / Anyone in order to show good from their ambitious actions. I think he legit thinks we will try and process this, even with all the hammy crazy faces and depth of depravity.

This seems more like a Japanese society thing. You can get away with crazy stuff in a manga work, and then speak about it like... what you just fantasized about on paper was dinner table talk. It odds me out personally, but it also keeps me aware of how different their society is than ours.

It's not a defense thing, it's more of a "look beyond your nose" thing. The point of discussion isn't to say the same points that are spoken of over and over, and pat each other on the back. It's to continually explore other views, and expand potential understanding.

The judgment of SAO at large, and the reactions to it here are incongruent to me. I think it's one of the more interesting things to discuss about the show.

It's always been intriguing to me how Japanese authors can go so low with stuff, yet still seem socially acceptable. It's pretty obvious that either they don't view these things in entertainment in the same light, or the exampled fed from their entertainment just paint them in such a way. Do you honestly think that hasn't affected the new writers and designers in any way?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well they do tend to treat Light Novels differently than actual novels. Stuff like Spice and Wolf, Haruhi, and Full Metal Panic are aberrations, light novels usually aren't that well put together.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well they do tend to treat Light Novels differently than actual novels. Stuff like Spice and Wolf, Haruhi, and Full Metal Panic are aberrations, light novels usually aren't that well put together.

Actually I was going to point to exactly those (and a few more) saying that Light Novels have an excellent track record!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Actually I was going to point to exactly those (and a few more) saying that Light Novels have an excellent track record!

Yes, but those tend to be outliers. FMP especially as it, from what reviews I've read and the novels I've got that were translated, reads a lot closer to an actual novel than a light novel. We usually only hear about the really great stuff, which there is.

Another thing I said in the post that was devoured, was that I don't think SAO author guy thinks he has to redeem Kayaba / Anyone in order to show good from their ambitious actions. I think he legit thinks we will try and process this, even with all the hammy crazy faces and depth of depravity.

This seems more like a Japanese society thing. You can get away with crazy stuff in a manga work, and then speak about it like... what you just fantasized about on paper was dinner table talk. It odds me out personally, but it also keeps me aware of how different their society is than ours.

I don't believe that at all since the show has gone out of its way to try to construct the whole SAO thing as a separate entity from Kayaba. They don't even mention the deaths in the same sentence as him; he's basically just the guy who made the technology now. We haven't even gotten a single reference to his connection with these murders since the first arc of the show, and every time he's done something since then it's been some benevolent deed. Lord Kayaba comes down from on high to give Kirito the means to fight a rapist, to allow everyone to make their own elaborate VR MMOs, and to help the most tragic AIDS patient ever.

I'd also say you can pretty much make anything mean anything if you're gonna put the conflicting ideas under the banner of "well he's just a bad writer so that conflict is irrelevant."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't believe that at all since the show has gone out of its way to try to construct the whole SAO thing as a separate entity from Kayaba. They don't even mention the deaths in the same sentence as him; he's basically just the guy who made the technology now. We haven't even gotten a single reference to these murders since the first arc of the show, and every time he's done something since then it's been some benevolent deed. Lord Kayaba comes down from on high to give Kirito the means to fight a rapist, to allow everyone to make their own elaborate VR MMOs, and to help the most tragic AIDS patient ever.

I'd also say you can pretty much make anything mean anything if you're gonna put the conflicting ideas under the banner of "well he's just a bad writer so that conflict is irrelevant."

Super AIDS, not just regular AIDS.

Crocodile

I'm not sure how comfortable I am about trying to make statements akin to "its just a Japanese culture thing" from examples that clearly don't represent anywhere near the top echelon of writing quality the nation can produce. I mean I guess the fact that this stuff is popular can inform us about the consumer base but I'd feel terrible if people made sincere proclamations about American culture (aside from the masses like dumb shit but that's true everywhere) based on the existence and popularity of say Twilight. I mean I guess its fair, but it makes me feel a bit bad (doing it in either direction) and there's always a fear that though what you're analyzing may be popular, that doesn't mean its mainstream.

Moaradin

Brace yourself.

There is no ending.

Well the manga is still going on so that was to be expected, no?

I just finished watching the last episode of Arslan and it didn't have a super conclusive ending either, but it was a pretty satisfying end of the season until the next season.

Well the manga is still going on so that was to be expected, no?

I just finished watching the last episode of Arslan and it didn't have a super conclusive ending either, but it was a pretty satisfying end of the season until the next season.

I don't mean there's no ending.

I mean it breaks off in the middle of an arc with nothing resolved.

One of the main characters is just bleeding out. And then it ends.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FAVE FIVE ANIME ENDINGS:

Honorable Mention: Full Metal Panic Fumoffu?!, FLCL

5. Full Metal Alchemist
4. Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex (Not 2nd GiG)
3. S-cry-D
2. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: This one needs some explaination. Original TV airing only.
1. G-Gundam

Line_HTX

Ewww EVA a Shit.

I like both Stand Alone Complexe endings.

Ahh, R2... Never mind Adult Swim Action, both seasons should've been Toonami-fied, haha

Gangsta has no ending... so kind of like Champloo where they walk off or something else?

This is probably the week of catching up before the new season since the majority of stuff won't start airing until next week, so I guess now's a good time to marahon Gangsta. Still love them Tsutchie phat beats.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 144

You know, it is very telling jut how wretched this season has actually been when a beach episode is one of the highlights. This mainly due to the fact that this series remember that the Sailor Guardian exists and maybe some time should be spent with them. Indeed, this is actually a focus episode on Ami where she actually get some character development beyond the usual dream of becoming a doctor. Indeed the best part of this episode is when she talks about her love life or lack thereof, as she is conflicted on the matter. Also, shockingly religious given that she apparently believes in predestination. Still, she does not know who the man of her dreams is and she wonders if she would toss the dream of a doctor for that of becoming a housewife. I will credit the episode here, this is the of aspiration that in the wrong hands would come across as rather sexist but here is done rather well. She yearns for a active family home life since she grew up the child of single parent and is an only child and thus has lacked that experience. Oh and they also dragged Shingo out of mothballs for some very odd ship teasing that nobody asked for and indeed will go nowhere. Strong recommendation to watch.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 145

I am really starting to see one of the other reasons why this season is so despised, I think we are about 20 or so episodes into the season and nothing major has changed. We have had a few minor alterations include an upgrade that has been so pointless that I barely remember it happening. This episode is actually a bit more inspired and spirited then the typical random person of randomness episode but seriously it is another one of these in a seemingly endless parade of them. Also points for skipping the villain preamble for once and not have the victim be a pledged friend that we never see again. Mild recommendation to watch.

Jarate

Banned
Hey guys, ive been able to work in a recording studio finally and wanted to post this as a quick little demo real fast

https://soundcloud.com/samuelcoenen/demo-recording-evil-voice

Is there a high pitched buzzing sound for you guys too or is it only just these headphones. Anyway, give tips, and hate it so I can improve, I'll be posting stuff here for people to critique because ya'll are probably the best place to go too when it comes to VAs and such

Korigama

Please tell me you're talking about the manga/brotherhood and not the Nazi invasion BS
I was quite amazed to see just how many people on the OT board not only defended FMA '03 and its awful Bones original tripe, but actually considered it superior to Brotherhood (all while dismissing the latter series as generic shounen, in fact). Was also quite amazed to see how many of them also complained about the comedy bits in Brotherhood and pretended that '03 wasn't full of them in the exact same style.

Line_HTX

Maybe I'm overthinking things. I probably got swept up in the perception of their finales and "sequels."

Uranus and Neptune are badasses.

GROUND.... SHAKER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom