• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 reasons why ESPN Football online is a joke.

Mrbob

Ok, here we go. I've been playing a ton of games online, and the gameplay is so extremely broken in this game with online play it isn't funny. Let me give you online experiences why this game is a piece of crap online:

1) Runing backs are way too powerful. Troy fricking Hambrick constantly power shoulders into my linebackers for gains. He knocks down Urlacher and Briggs and then motors for big yards. Ridiculous.

2) Passing into double/triple coverage. We already know this is a joke.

3) The lack of non calls with crossing patterns. I called a crossing pattern at about the 10 yard line, and my outside receiver crossed in and got stuck on the db. He kept on running into the db and couldn't move. The db didn't move. I didn't realize this until the replay. It's a timing pattern and I passed it as soon as my wide receiver cut. Low and behold there was no one there and the pass flew into an open space of about five yards from anyone.

4) Another example of lack of non calls. On a running play with Hambrick, the defensive lineman pulls out and blocks my linebacker from the side. Hambrick tries to go around my linebackers back side I try to pull off the lineman and can't. The guy has me in a death grip. Isn't that called, I dunno, HOLDING?!

5) Blocking in this game is pure ass. It's so stupid. I called a sweep running play to the right. My opponent has two dbs and a safety on that side. I have three wide receivers to that side. I sweep to the right, and the two wide receivers in front of me BOTH RUN PAST THE DB IN FRONT OF ME and go both go block the Safety behind him!!! WTF! Another joke.

That's it for now. Btw those experiences were from one game. I can point out 20 more if you want but we'll keep it to five for now.

DMczaf

Stop crying! Stop crying! Be a man about it! Put a jersey on, put a jersey on! You so tough, put a jersey on!

1sherm1124.jpg

Mrbob

LOL.

It's gonna take a hell of a lot to get me to buy ESPN next year. Even for 5 dollars. BTW I should also mention that not only was that one game, but the game didn't finish. It disconnected us in the 2nd quarter because of those WONDERFUL LOVELY sega servers. Bleh.

Mrbob said:
5) Blocking in this game is pure ass. It's so stupid. I called a sweep running play to the right. My opponent has two dbs and a safety on that side. I have three wide receivers to that side. I sweep to the right, and the two wide receivers in front of me BOTH RUN PAST THE DB IN FRONT OF ME and go both go block the Safety behind him!!! WTF! Another joke.

This really irks me. No excuse for not blocking when the play diagram calls for it (for example Strong T-Toss to the right). I can understand blocking and getting manhandled and overrun by the defense, but at least put your corpse in front of the LB please! Slow him down for a half-second so I can break to the outside maybe? I even try to Hot Block with them (as Konex taught me) and they STILL run up to block the safeties when there's 3 LBs salivating at an RB dinner for one.

Also, this game is INT and fumble happy, and the Y-button is definitely not "the best move for the situation" on a pass reception attempt. 9 times out of 10, Y dives! I have an X button for that already, THANKS SEGA. The reason I manually control a receiver is so I can outrun the defender and make a big play, not dive past the ball as the defender reaches up for a free INT.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
DJ Demon J said:
This really irks me. No excuse for not blocking when the play diagram calls for it (for example Strong T-Toss to the right). I can understand blocking and getting manhandled and overrun by the defense, but at least put your corpse in front of the LB please! Slow him down for a half-second so I can break to the outside maybe? I even try to Hot Block with them (as Konex taught me) and they STILL run up to block the safeties when there's 3 LBs salivating at an RB dinner for one.

Also, this game is INT and fumble happy, and the Y-button is definitely not "the best move for the situation" on a pass reception attempt. 9 times out of 10, Y dives! I have an X button for that already, THANKS SEGA. The reason I manually control a receiver is so I can outrun the defender and make a big play, not dive past the ball as the defender reaches up for a free INT.

In all my play of this game, Y never ever dove.

FYI, i don't even have it any more, I have Madden now.

Mrbob

For defense you should use the white and black buttons.

White button = knock ball down

Black button = go for int

Doesn't matter though. The detection is so shoddy and the AI path routing is so pathetic the DB won't be able to get the ball.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DMczaf said:
Stop crying! Stop crying! Be a man about it! Put a jersey on, put a jersey on! You so tough, put a jersey on!

1sherm1124.jpg

One of us walked away scared.

Cathcart

One thing that bothers me is that it seems to be ridiculously easy to run QBs for really good yardage (unless you're me). At first I didn't think it was so bad because I was always playing against my friend who uses the Eagles. Donovan can do that to you. Recently, however, I've seen other players run the QB for a first down on third and long a lot and it really doesn't matter who the QB is. I wish you could assign a QB spy.

I'm willing to admit that it could just be that I suck at defense (that's the main reason I use the Ravens), so is it me or what?

Mrbob said:
This is the worst.

Ramirez

Naw its not just you...I can run with Tommy Maddox for 15 yards if I need to,lmao!

But I don't...I was just testin it out one day in practice :p

JayFro

Banned
Both Madden and ESPN have plenty of flaws and hopefully both will be better next year, but for this year I still choose ESPN. I've played games online with Madden and it's just friggin boring and the Superman DB's are just rediculous. The hit stick deal is also a joke that leads to rediculous fumbles. I lost a game to a guy the other night where he used the hit stick two times and it caused fumbles that he returned for TD's. He didn't score a single offenseive TD and I ended up losing the game. I don't like the running game in Madden either, holes just don't open up often enough to do good damage.

I went in to my local Gamestop today to trade in my copy of Madden and I was looking for a used copy of ESPN, they didn't have a single one. So I had to buy my second new copy of ESPN and I did so I can play it online again. He said since they put ESPN in the kiosk they couldn't keep used copies of the game in stock and that it was selling very well. Both of the gamestop employees praised ESPN which was funny because usually its the other way around.

I'm telling you, if you hit Y when controlling a receiver about to get a pass, 9 times out of 10 instead of putting his hands up to catch he'll dive--even when the pass is headed right to his hands!

OFFENSE PEOPLE, NOT DEFENSE. I know how to go for a deflection/INT. Give Y a try on your next 10+ yardage pass and watch the dives happen.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
In my league game against FMT one of my wide recievers turned around and blocked my other WR. Im not kidding.

StoOgE said:
In my league game against FMT one of my wide recievers turned around and blocked my other WR. Im not kidding.

In my game last night against Fifty, one of my TEs blocked my RB. I replayed it several times to make sure. :(

Mrbob

Well, the problem with ESPN is that it is a very good game. But a few big nagging flaws seem to hinder it year after year. I've bought 2K games since the beginning, and the problems with the lack of CPU assignment blocking plus the crossing pattern problem has happened year after year. I can't believe this stuff flys through Q&A five years straight without getting fixed.

ShadowRed

Banned
Mrbob said:
LOL.

It's gonna take a hell of a lot to get me to buy ESPN next year. Even for 5 dollars. BTW I should also mention that not only was that one game, but the game didn't finish. It disconnected us in the 2nd quarter because of those WONDERFUL LOVELY sega servers. Bleh.

Dude with all due respect it's not the servers it's you. Your connection is getting dropped not mine. You need to set your router to DMZ your xbox connection.

Mrbob

Hmm, I run on a 3MB/sec cable connection with only my Xbox running and my computer shut off when I play. The only time I've ever disconnected or had any problems was playing against you. Both times I've bounced back to the league lobby and you were listed offline. So....?????

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
God every fucking week...

ESPN has online problems. Madden has online problems. Choose one and deal with it.

ShadowRed

Banned
Mrbob said:
Hmm, I run on a 3MB/sec cable connection with only my Xbox running and my computer shut off when I play. The only time I've ever disconnected or had any problems was playing against you. Both times I've bounced back to the league lobby and you were listed offline. So....?????

No actually I was bounced back to the league lobby, and both times I got the win. Even though I was up both times, had my connection went down you would have gotten the win. I'm pretty sure it's on your side. I have never had a DC since this league started. The only two times I've had it happen has been with you.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
As far as crossing pattern problems.. I have them all the time. I have thrown picks because guys were not where they were supposed to be, yet no call. The worst is a TE crossing route.. but when it connects.. yard.

Mrbob

ColdBlooded33 said:
God every fucking week...

ESPN has online problems. Madden has online problems. Choose one and deal with it.

These posts are boring.

No actually I was bounced back to the league lobby, and both times I got the win. Even though I was up both times, had my connection went down you would have gotten the win. I'm pretty sure it's on your side. I have never had a DC since this league started. The only two times I've had it happen has been with you.

Well, I never said you weren't bounced back to the lobby. Just sharing my experience.

Ok, lets look at this step by step then. :p

I got bounced back to the lobby both times.
You got bounced back to the lobby both times.
The only disconnect we have both had is in the games we have played.
The last time I've had a disconnect was during the DC days (Except for the stupid divergence glitch the earlier 2K games had).
Sounds like you haven't had a disconnect either.

Either for some reason our connections aren't clicking or its Segas shoddy servers. I vote option # 2.

Mrbob

Well I guess Sega servers are worse than I thought if I'm dropping on a 3MB connection. Add that to the list! :D

Lets get back to talking about the deficiencies in the game! Not my connection. :p

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
DJ Demon J said:
I'm telling you, if you hit Y when controlling a receiver about to get a pass, 9 times out of 10 instead of putting his hands up to catch he'll dive--even when the pass is headed right to his hands!

OFFENSE PEOPLE, NOT DEFENSE. I know how to go for a deflection/INT. Give Y a try on your next 10+ yardage pass and watch the dives happen.

Believe it or not, that's what I was talking about. It never ever dove for me on offense when I hit Y.

Mrbob

Sysgen said:
'Madden NFL' called for unnecessary roughness

Nothing is perfect. As the products evolve these things are ironed out. Plenty of complaints about Madden. It always looks better on the otherside of the fence.

Be honest! Who owned you last night?

No doubt that Madden has some issues too. Just not the same level of problems as ESPN.

madden is awesome online playing against non-cheesers. ESPN suffers regardless of who you play. RESPECT!

Definitely. In Madden if you get burnt it is because you screwed up. Not because of shoddy AI.

Top Bottom