• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

ReiGun

You forgot the gimmick, brah.

There are different color paints they can load into their morphers that confer different powers. Red's mech is actually the base mech they all pilot, but gets different armaments based on other individual colors. Sixth gets a bo staff he can change into a spear, escrima sticks, or a gun based on which USB sticks he loads into it. His mech changes likewise.

Lots of merch possibility there!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Today's ToQ wasn't bad.

Also there's a rip of the Sharivan Next Generation movie. Holy shit, it's pretty good. Dare I say it - it looks better than the Gavan movie. Oh and it has lots of blood.

Oh and Sakamoto handled the effects and choreography. Neat.

Defuser

Can you imagine a Gen Urobochi Sentai? I can imagine a inevitable scenario of one of the ranger stabbing his team in the back.

NeonZ

http://animeanime.jp/article/2014/10/23/20583.html
004-560x600.jpg
005-560x600.JPG

It seems like they'll be giving a Drive episode 0 extra dvd for people who watch the movie?

Also, movie summary from scans:

The Gaim chapter begins on the planet Kōta and Mai reside. Suddenly, a mysterious enemy appears. Then, heads for their friends back in Zawame City. What is the enemies’ plan to release the curse of the Overlords and Helheim? This being has even driven Kōta, who has become an existence like God. Find out how the series continues after the events of the last episode.

In the Drive chapter of the movie, a legendary thief, the Special Unit, and Drive are locked in a showdown. How does the Drive Driver (Mr. Belt) fit in to all of this?

Tiu Neo

Hi Tokugaf!

I'm getting back into tokusatsu after... what, 20 years? I loved Flashman, Changeman, Juspion, Spielban and Kamen Rider Black when I was a kid. I did watch a few Goggle Five, Maskman, Lionmaru and Machineman episodes back then, too.

Watched Gokaiger earlier this year and now I'm watching Toqger, Jetman and Shinkenger. I'll probably start watching Drive, too, this weekend.

As you can see, I'm more of a sentai fan, but I plan to watch a Kamen Rider series after I finish Shinkenger and Jetman.

Nice to meet you all! :D

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
http://animeanime.jp/article/2014/10/23/20583.html

It seems like they'll be giving a Drive episode 0 extra dvd for people who watch the movie?

Also, movie summary from scans:

Damn. Proto drive looks so damn sexy.

Hi Tokugaf!

I'm getting back into tokusatsu after... what, 20 years? I loved Flashman, Changeman, Juspion, Spielban and Kamen Rider Black when I was a kid. I did watch a few Goggle Five, Maskman, Lionmaru and Machineman episodes back then, too.

Watched Gokaiger earlier this year and now I'm watching Toqger, Jetman and Shinkenger. I'll probably start watching Drive, too, this weekend.

As you can see, I'm more of a sentai fan, but I plan to watch a Kamen Rider series after I finish Shinkenger and Jetman.

Nice to meet you all! :D

Welcome to the fold.

NeonZ

I just saw this elsewhere, a much more spoiler heavy summary of the Drive/Gaim movie.

http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1413984852&p=2&n=7

It reveals the real enemy and also seems to spoil an (expected, considering Movie Wars tradition now) surprise.
Kamen Rider Gaim
Having saved humanity from annihilation, Kouta tried to create a new world with Mai. However, an abnormal change occurred within the stars.
Megahex, a mechanical lifeform, mysteriously appeared and began to fuse with the planet. With Megahex’s next target being Earth, Kouta chased after it but was defeated by its overwhelming strength.
Now Mitsuzane is the only one left with a Sengoku Driver. Will the two brothers, Mitsuzane and Takatora, be able to save humanity?

Kamen Rider Drive
The legendary phantom thief Lupin has appeared! Having obtained the body of CyberRoid ZZZ, Lupin can now freely manipulate Slowdown. His objective: steal the heroic title of “Kamen Rider”! While chasing after Lupin, Shinnosuke arrives at an old castle. The castle holds a secret about “Kamen Rider” that no one knows about! What is this secret? And now, Lupin has surprisingly gained the ability to transform…!

Movie War Full Throttle
By fusing together with the body of CyberRoid ZZZ, Megahex has become the ultimate mechanical lifeform: ZZZ Megahex!
During the Earth’s greatest crisis, Drive, Gaim, and
other Kamen Riders
have gathered. However,
ZZZ Megahex
appears before them. At last, the battle for humanity heads towards the final stage: the universe! Their combined forces will bring about a miracle, which will birth a new legend in the history of Kamen Riders!

Edit: I couldn't find a source for the titles of the first two parts, but the summaries seem to be right otherwise.

WarRock

Liked the ideas, liked the suits, liked the concept.

The execution outside of Stag and Enter? Meeeeeeeeeeh.

Hiromu and the rest were just so goddamn bland as shit. Like, that's the hook you hang the show on. Marvelous and co were One Piece xeroxes, but I like One Piece, so it worked. Same with Daigo Sentai.
See, this is what I'm talking about. The world was not ready.

Hi Tokugaf!

I am guessing you are a fellow but older brazilian?

NeonZ

Maybe Toei shouldn't wait to do an experimental series directly after an anniversary season?

Boukenger -> Gekiranger

Gokaiger -> Go-Busters

Boukenger itself was pretty experimental though, with the multiple villain faction and the whole "collect treasures around the world" goal rather than just facing villains. In fact, I think that run from Deka to Geki was filled with shows that were experimental in one way or another. It seems like Geki's failure kind of killed that though.

WillyFive

Gekiranger had to compete with Den-O in sales, it wasn't going to make it. It was Geki's hammering by Den-O and Go-Onger's stomping of Kiva that finally made Toei change the schedules around so that Sentai and Rider premiered at different times of the year instead of both at the same time.

Go-Busters's failure can probably be attributed just to not there being enough stuff to buy, the show had no collectible gimmick, and the theme itself (spies) was hardly capturing of kid's imaginations. Kids didn't watch the show either, which hurt it.

I like it, even the emphasis on "Before Power Rangers...", it's a good way to introduce it. That photo-shopping around Mammoth Ranger's head is pitiful though.

Tiu Neo

I am guessing you are a fellow but older brazilian?

Yep, guessed right! I was pretty fanatic when I was younger, rented VHS tapes every week and everything. Late 80s and Early 90s were a really magical time for tokusatsu here.

(I'm not thaaat old, I'm 28 :p)

I just got done watching the raw for Sharivan - Next Generation. Wasn't too too bad, I liked it way better than say, Hurricanger 10 Years After. Looking forward to Shaider.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just got done watching the raw for Sharivan - Next Generation. Wasn't too too bad, I liked it way better than say, Hurricanger 10 Years After. Looking forward to Shaider.

Sakamoto really helped with the action. Also all that blood with no gore. It's like I'm watching my animes!

vareon

Random confession time! I'm 28, first liked toku in KR Black and Power Rangers, then go through a "japanese spandex heroes are for kids" phase in late elementary/early middle school, then blown away by Kuuga and PR In Space. So my "defining" tokusatsu would be the early Heisei KR era.

Yes, the ones with misunderstandings.

WarRock

So, The Flash is pretty cool. Next episode seems to be great.

Yep, guessed right! I was pretty fanatic when I was younger, rented VHS tapes every week and everything. Late 80s and Early 90s were a really magical time for tokusatsu here.

(I'm not thaaat old, I'm 28 :p)

Haha, it's just that if you caught Google V and Flashman then you probably are slightly older.

vareon

Just watched Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends. Much more enjoyable than Kyoto Inferno (which felt too long despite having the same length) and the choreography was goooooooood.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just read about how Adness Entertainment put their own money into producing KR Dragon Knight without shopping around to TV channels. Good lord, did they not know one of the important rules of film/TV production? NEVER put your own money into the show!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Random confession time! I'm 28, first liked toku in KR Black and Power Rangers, then go through a "japanese spandex heroes are for kids" phase in late elementary/early middle school, then blown away by Kuuga and PR In Space. So my "defining" tokusatsu would be the early Heisei KR era.

Yes, the ones with misunderstandings.

Most of those shows are ultimately a big mess and seem to lack any planning, yet at the same time they've got this charm. Kiva is the last shown that really captures that feeling, and even though it sucks, I have a soft-spot for it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love how they clearly flew Mitsuru Matsuoka out to America for some of those Surprise Drive PV scenes. Especially that one scene where he's just in some dude's garage. Like, that's clearly not a set. :lol

d6bPwHQ.png

Tiu Neo

So, The Flash is pretty cool. Next episode seems to be great.

Haha, it's just that if you caught Google V and Flashman then you probably are slightly older.

Oh, yes, I got two great times for tokusatsu here, the Juspion/Flash/Change/... time, and the early Power Rangers time. :D

Iirc, Google V and Maskman got translated a bit after Change and Flash.

Flashman is still my favorite, followed by Gokaiger, btw. From what I'm watching, Jetman probably will be on that top three, too.

WillyFive

Jetman is my favorite, followed by Timeranger. Gekiranger, Shinkenger, and Gokaiger are up there too.

I just read about how Adness Entertainment put their own money into producing KR Dragon Knight without shopping around to TV channels. Good lord, did they not know one of the important rules of film/TV production? NEVER put your own money into the show!

The whole show in general was pretty much an amateur production, from writing to cinematography to pretty much everything. It was essentially a fan film that 4kids happened to air on TV.

BatDan

The whole show in general was pretty much an amateur production, from writing to cinematography to pretty much everything. It was essentially a fan film that 4kids happened to air on TV.

That explains a lot. I watched the first episode and it felt "off".

BatDan

Super Megaforce 16

I actually have a positive this episode. I liked a good chunk of Vrak's dialogue (when he wasn't dropping puns). He does act like a decent villain.
Wasn't a fan of the white Unicorn monster making it obvious that he wanted to die. "Kids won't get it" was probably the reasoning.

"These Zords still rock" THEN WHY HAVEN'T YOU BEEN USING THEM?! Seriously, the Gosei Zords just show up with no explanation of why they haven't been used. Again, I'm expecting explanations from this season...

So... how does draining Orion's life force give Vrak the ability to mirror the Megaforce abilities? It's not like Orion has those powers, all he has is Gokai Silver.
And apparently "sixth ranger energy" is a thing since that's what forced Robo Knight to turn evil.
Speaking of, hi Robo Knight. Any word on how Vrak kidnapped you?

Also, I get the feeling his name was meant to be pronounced Vrack not Vrawk. Hence the title "Vrak is Back"

That explains a lot. I watched the first episode and it felt "off".

I would tell you to find the original pilot/movie which seemed better than the 1st episode did but it seems to not exist in any form anywhere anymore.

Super Megaforce 18

DAT DERE PLOT CONVENIENCE!

At least its almost over.

BatDan

Hmm, Kamen Rider V3 has an official release huh?
*checks price* $150?! Fucking hell...

I would tell you to find the original pilot/movie which seemed better than the 1st episode did but it seems to not exist in any form anywhere anymore.

Super Megaforce 18

DAT DERE PLOT CONVENIENCE!

At least its almost over.

There was a pilot? Wonder why they didn't shop that around...

Actually the latest (in America) was 16 not 18. At least it's almost over (with no specials).

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Drive is clicking for me pretty early. Hopefully it keeps going like this. Don't really like the shift cars having emotions and stuff though.

Top Bottom