• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Guess it's tradition now to have the dino season be set in high school, much like how it's tradition for the villains of the Sentai dino shows being responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs.

The dinosaurs died when Bandora killed them!
No wait, they died when Dezumozora killed them and the earth split into two, one is normal earth and one where humans evolved from lizards (oh god, Abaranger copied the Super Mario Bros movie) and some of the surviving dinosaurs became machines.
NO WAIT, the dinosaurs were killed by Deboss but some of them survived thanks to a bird-man.

Sentai "continuity" is weird. I know each one is meant to be a separate universe, but Gokaiger kind of made things weird.

WillyFive

Sentai "continuity" is weird. I know each one is meant to be a separate universe, but Gokaiger kind of made things weird.

It's obvious that Toei considers everything they write is standalone, unless it's specifically mentioned to not be. Essentially all Sentai shows are in their own universe; but Gokaiger just happened to be in a universe where all the other Sentai happen to be in the same universe, which seems to be the same one as all the other Sentai VS. movies (which were always very obviously non-canon with the shows, but were canon and constantly referenced in other VS. movies).

I kinda like it better that way sometimes, since it's always something fresh and different each year and there is no reasonable baggage to live up to past seasons; but at the same time, it's awesome seeing an expanded universe develop (even if it's just for fun and not really relevant to their everyday stories).

Is it wrong that i wish they would play with the wizard of oz motif they already have set up?

I wish Power Rangers would take advantage of a lot of things present in the source material, make them better and more relevant to the show than they were on their original Sentai incarnation. But most of the time (the vast majority of the time in fact) things are just thrown away, and if kept, they are only there because the footage has it there and they don't reference to it and simply ignore it (like most recently, how the Super Megaforce Rangers are pirates; it is never explained what Gosei's past was and how he came across the Ranger Keys, why not reveal him to be a pirate and the pirate powers were his stuff? That is one of a billion better ways to explain it rather than nothing).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I wish Power Rangers would take advantage of a lot of things present in the source material, make them better and more relevant to the show than they were on their original Sentai incarnation. But most of the time (the vast majority of the time in fact) things are just thrown away, and if kept, they are only there because the footage has it there and they don't reference to it and simply ignore it (like most recently, how the Super Megaforce Rangers are pirates; it is never explained what Gosei's past was and how he came across the Ranger Keys, why not reveal him to be a pirate and the pirate powers were his stuff? That is one of a billion better ways to explain it rather than nothing).

to be fair to PR in this one regard. as far as im aware, kyoryu doesnt address it either. which is a shame. because theres an obvious motif there just glossed over.

BatDan

Mostly what happened with Robo Knight. Like how he can appear in Silver's finsher but they not mention him.

Those are good questions.
I know Robo Knight reappears next week since it goes back to Goseiger footage.
As for him appearing Silver's finisher... "There's a simple explanation for that"

Does he notice the pirate motif? I know some parents said their kids can recognize it without being told.

WillyFive

to be fair to PR in this one regard. as far as im aware, kyoryu doesnt address it either. which is a shame. because theres an obvious motif there just glossed over.

Of course. Power Rangers has every opportunity to improve upon it's source material, but the times it has done that I can barely count with half of one hand.

Slayven

Those are good questions.
I know Robo Knight reappears next week since it goes back to Goseiger footage.
As for him appearing Silver's finisher... "There's a simple explanation for that"

Does he notice the pirate motif? I know some parents said their kids can recognize it without being told.

I have to ask him, but he does ask why they just don't go super mega all the time.

Corgi

Banned
its sad how bandai is the company that seems to care about super megaforce more than saban.

Pretty decent selection of ranger keys and exclusive ones. Tons of collector quality limited edition toy sets with better paint jobs. megazords with extra modes.

And that awesome looking white ranger 1:1 scale sword with working lights and mouth with rerecorded lines from the original actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ur8X88XQ5s&list=UU8dw0GbmjxkS31g2TN4Q4LQ

It's like there is a huge disconnect. from the toy side it seems like this season was targeting the fans, and from the actual show... its like they are targeting... like 2 year olds or something.

NeonZ

It's like there is a huge disconnect. from the toy side it seems like this season was targeting the fans, and from the actual show... its like they are targeting... like 2 year olds or something.

That's probably why they kicked out the show runner...

BatDan

I'm almost done with OOO (the 999 and 1000th episodes were bizarre). I see that Fourze has been subbed by both O-T and Aesir. Which is better?

Drive 3

Proto-Drive huh? "The villains called him Kamen Rider" Uh huh... pretending the shared universe isn't a thing huh?

Interesting that there were two art-based Roidmudes. I do like Machine Chaser so far.
And yeah, we're getting two-parters again. Much like W and OOO.

NeonZ

Drive 3

Proto-Drive huh? "The villains called him Kamen Rider" Uh huh... pretending the shared universe isn't a thing huh?

They just want to introduce the title Kamen Rider without referencing other shows directly. A magazine spoiled that we're getting Proto-Drive featured in Movie Wars though, so they'll be using crossovers for actual relevant story content here.

BatDan

They just want to introduce the title Kamen Rider without referencing other shows directly. A magazine spoiled that we're getting Proto-Drive featured in Movie Wars though, so they'll be using crossovers for actual relevant story content here.

I see.
How are the crossover movies?

NeonZ

I see.
How are the crossover movies?

They're very inconsistent in quality. It depends on the staff, and the Movie Wars features specifically can be pretty inconsistent in a single movie itself, because there are generally two writers handling different parts of the movie (one focusing on each Rider), with the writer of the part of the current Rider usually handling the crossover elements (aside from 2010 and Core, where it's the writer of the previous show).

For example, the W parts of Movie Wars 2010 and Core are considered very good (they give backstory about Kamen Rider Skull, an important background character in W) but the Decade part in 2010 and the OOO one in Core are generally seen as bad. Movie Wars Megamax (Fourze/OOO with some W and Rider 1/Stronger too) is generally considered the best one overall out of the Movie Wars, since it's the most consistent through all parts of its story.

The big crossover movies with "All Riders" or Rider and Super Sentai are generally pretty divisive and have never been relevant to the story of the current tv shows though. Even looking at them only as fanservice, only the most recent one (Kamen Rider Taisen) managed to do things like bringing actors back from series older than two years ago and giving fanservice to multiple series, rather than just two or three with all others standing in the background without even getting real fighting scenes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm disappointed the Global Freeze isn't given a dumber english name like Begin's Night.

The best thing about Begins Night is how they started saying "Begins Night" in the show like it was an actual term that people say.

Also, all the W movie titles are plays on Batman movie titles. Begins Night, Forever A-to-Z, W Returns.

WarRock

The best thing about Begins Night is how they started saying "Begins Night" in the show like it was an actual term that people say.

Also, all the W movie titles are plays on Batman movie titles. Begins Night, Forever A-to-Z, W Returns.

That's some mind blowing shit right here.

jwk94

So I finished watching Super Megaforce with my friend today. He hated it so much that he finally agreed to watch Gaim. And he's enjoying it.....
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Corgi

Banned
Curious how megaforce will rank in the long run by fans. It's easily the most disappointing. Had more fun with operation overdrive.

Curious how megaforce will rank in the long run by fans. It's easily the most disappointing. Had more fun with operation overdrive.

Megaforce disappoints on two levels: 1) it follows the unspectacular, but solid Samurai, meaning all they needed to do was put forth a similar effort and 2) it badly mishandled such a great concept.

Parallax

finally saw that corinth episode everyone was talking about. seriously, what the fuck saban? its a massive fucking racetrack in the dark now? why even bother naming it?

WarRock

So I finished watching Super Megaforce with my friend today. He hated it so much that he finally agreed to watch Gaim. And he's enjoying it.....
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

At least something good came of watching Super Megaforce, then =)

By the way, I don't remember O-T being this fast with Wizard releases...

jwk94

At least something good came of watching Super Megaforce, then =)

By the way, I don't remember O-T being this fast with Wizard releases...
That's what I'm saying, like I keep forgetting to check OT because when have we gotten subs at 11 am?! This is so nice. Now if someone could take the next sentai and do the same thing, I would be happy.

Corgi

Banned
super megaforce 15.

wait why are they dueling?

man, i think i need to rewatch gokaiger. i swear that was a good show ;)

Tenumi

Banned
Yeah, once Super Megaforce finishes airing, I'm going to go through Gokaiger to remember how an Anniversary season should be done.

As for ranking, Super Megaforce may be near or at the bottom, but Megaforce itself I don't think should really be that low. Below average, yeah, but not near bottom.

jwk94

Yeah, once Super Megaforce finishes airing, I'm going to go through Gokaiger to remember how an Anniversary season should be done.

As for ranking, Super Megaforce may be near or at the bottom, but Megaforce itself I don't think should really be that low. Below average, yeah, but not near bottom.
MegaForce was pretty good.

WillyFive

I think most of the problems of Megaforce and Super Megaforce come from just poor decisions in adapting it's source material....but if seen as it's own standalone thing, it's not really all that bad. Just look at the episode where Tensou gets lost in New Zealand. If you look at it as an episode that simply shouldn't have existed in a season that only has 40 episodes to adapt both Goseiger and Gokaiger, then yeah, it's pure incompetence; but as it's own thing, it's a really good and fun well-made episode. It's not even close to being as bad as the Kalish seasons (like Operation Overdrive), but it is however a bigger disappointment than them.

BatDan

The disappointment with Megaforce & Super Megaforce is a lot of things.

Lack of tributes, the only episodes that felt like tributes were the Wild Force, Samurai and Jungle Fury episodes. For having characters from those series appear (yes I am sadly counting the Lion).
The RPM tribute was barely a tribute, "Corinth" looked nothing like it did before no matter how much hand-waving you attempt. The SPD tribute wasn't anything other than showing the Dekaranger morph. I am not even going to attempt to count "Emma quick-changing clothes" as a Dino Thunder tribute.
They could have done something with Ninjor. Gokaiger handed them those episodes on a silver fucking platter.

What character development? Again, I could barely tell you anything about the Rangers. The most development seems to come from Noah, and a lot of that is due to copying the Sentai. Robo Knight too but he's been absent throughout the second half.
Orion looked like he would have something, but then we'd have episodes where he would just disappear.

A lot of it seemed to be poor planning and bad decisions. If what Alison said was true about the Legend War being last minute, it shows why this season felt undercooked. Plus, Tzachor getting the boot says so much.

BatDan

Kamen Rider OOO (complete)

Counting the Medals

While an enjoyable series, I felt it was weaker than W. Probably a lot to do with Eiji being a bit of a jobber.
The theme of desires does raise interesting questions about how much we spend and what we really need. Ironic considering this is a show made to sell toys (and they spent an entire episode promoting the iPhone)

While Eiji was okay, Akira Date stole the show. As did the president (the ham that man exudes)
Weird how Hina just had super strength for some reason.

The way they lose medals for certain powers did get annoying. Especially the all-green combo that just vanished.

Right then, onto Foruze. Judging by the praise, it sounds like I'm in for a treat.

Parallax

Counting the Medals

While an enjoyable series, I felt it was weaker than W. Probably a lot to do with Eiji being a bit of a jobber.
The theme of desires does raise interesting questions about how much we spend and what we really need. Ironic considering this is a show made to sell toys (and they spent an entire episode promoting the iPhone)

While Eiji was okay, Akira Date stole the show. As did the president (the ham that man exudes)

The way they lose medals for certain powers did get annoying. Especially the all-green combo that just vanished.

Right then, onto Foruze. Judging by the praise, it sounds like I'm in for a treat.

yup. best rider of the series.

WarRock

OOO is really fascinating, I should watch it again. An absurd number of flaws, but the cast is just so good. I am really glad it ended up being my first series; each episode I wondered how much fun the actors and staff were having.

javadoze

Yeah, kind of annoying that they didn't really experiment around with the medals seeing how interesting the concept was. I also didn't get how the green combo couldn't be used more often (Yes, I know, budget. But they could've at least made Eiji summon only 2 or 3 clones at a time as a cost-cutting measure.)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
OOO is really fascinating, I should watch it again. An absurd number of flaws, but the cast is just so good. I am really glad it ended up being my first series; each episode I wondered how much fun the actors and staff were having.

Ankh and Eiji's actors worked together again in a Toei Hero Next movie called PIECE. Maybe check it out if you liked OOO (which you did, so):

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kPYkmYo1CQ&channel=bestdestinyful

Counting the Medals

Kamen Rider Date-San is one of the best secondary Riders ever. He actually made Goto cool.

ooo383a.jpg

Even better, he was supposed to die, but he was just that good.

BatDan

Kamen Rider Date-San is one of the best secondary Riders ever. He actually made Goto cool.

ooo383a.jpg

Even better, he was supposed to die, but he was just that good.

I had a feeling he was intended to die, the flags were all over.

BatDan

Watched the first episode of Fourze (was going to take a break, but I felt "eh, why not")

Oh man that was great.

If someone were to attempt adapting KR for the West again, they should use Fourze. It's fucking perfect. High school setting, space theme, chainsaw and drill feet!
With all the money Bandai is making from KR, you'd think they would try again. The question is who...

KingDirk

Watched the first episode of Fourze (was going to take a break, but I felt "eh, why not")

Oh man that was great.

If someone were to attempt adapting KR for the West again, they should use Fourze. It's fucking perfect. High school setting, space theme, chainsaw and drill feet!
With all the money Bandai is making from KR, you'd think they would try again. The question is who...

You're in for an amazing ride man. It's my fave still, and it's one of the few Rider shows whose plot actually hangs together.

(With Sanjo handling Drive it seems like this may be the first time maybe ever that two Kamen Riders' plots will hang together back-to-back!)

BatDan

ToQger 33

AKA: The Raid: Sentai Edition

This was actually really good. I think the ToQgers getting their memories back really helps the character driven stories. A shame it took this long...
That final part with Right and the monster falling out was badass.

Next week:
Comedic romance... oh well

Pluto

I think most of the problems of Megaforce and Super Megaforce come from just poor decisions in adapting it's source material....but if seen as it's own standalone thing, it's not really all that bad. Just look at the episode where Tensou gets lost in New Zealand. If you look at it as an episode that simply shouldn't have existed in a season that only has 40 episodes to adapt both Goseiger and Gokaiger, then yeah, it's pure incompetence; but as it's own thing, it's a really good and fun well-made episode. It's not even close to being as bad as the Kalish seasons (like Operation Overdrive), but it is however a bigger disappointment than them.
The Kalish seasons as an era weren't bad, they had really good episodes, decent character development and a great supporting cast. Overdrive failed but not because of a lack of trying and it still had a great plot with iMack.
The writing in the New Saban era is just lazy, the show looks good but that's pretty much it, it feels like there's zero effort and the way SMF treated the Disney era is awful, the only reason they had casey show up was because the actor's on the writing staff, otherwise the seasons were completely ignored although a bunch of cast members live right around the corner.

The legend war fiasco was nothing but incompetence, it doesn't belong at the end of the season, it was perfect in Gokaiger, the heroes show up, defeat an entire armada, save the earth but lose their powers, setting the stage for the Gokaiger. In Super Megaforce
they show up at the end for foot soldier clean up duty after the battle against the empire is already won, they had their powers the entire time and that is when they decide to fight?
Makes them look like a bunch of assholes.

Fourze is so fucking awesome, now I want to rematch it.

Defuser

TogQer 33
Looks to me Hikari's actor seem to have some sort of a martial arts background seeing how he can do high kicks and fluently performs his moves which I noticed in the previous episodes but this episode show it prominently which is the highlight of the show. Man I wish there were more actual martial arts in Sentai like Dairanger.

BatDan

TogQer 33
Looks to me Hikari's actor seem to have some sort of a martial arts background seeing how he can do high kicks and fluently performs his moves which I noticed in the previous episodes but this episode show it prominently which is the highlight of the show. Man I wish there were more actual martial arts in Sentai like Dairanger.

Gekiranger is martial arts themed

jwk94

its sad how bandai is the company that seems to care about super megaforce more than saban.

Pretty decent selection of ranger keys and exclusive ones. Tons of collector quality limited edition toy sets with better paint jobs. megazords with extra modes.

And that awesome looking white ranger 1:1 scale sword with working lights and mouth with rerecorded lines from the original actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ur8X88XQ5s&list=UU8dw0GbmjxkS31g2TN4Q4LQ

But it's not Go-Busters =(. Still mad we won't get an RPM sequel. That season was phenomenal on all fronts.

In all seriousness, that was a pretty interesting interview. I didn't know the batteries were called dino chargers.

Top Bottom