• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

javadoze

Gaim 43

At least they didn't have
Ryoma's death feel so abrupt like Takatora's death. Loved the out-of-nowhere kill-switch he used for the Genesis Drivers (not that it seemed like an ass-pull, it was pretty in-character for someone who once did a self-lobotomy).

Really nice subversion on the part of Micchy. Thought he was going to die this episode via Hell Hell Hell Arms (that lockseed felt phoned-in), but they really made a more interesting situation with leaving him alive.

Possible end spoilers based on episode summaries

I wonder if he's going to help with the reconstruction of Zawame at the end as a new head of Yggdrasil or something to come full circle with his brother? Or maybe die trying to protect Kouta from Kaito in a last-ditch attempt to be sympathetic?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
kaito just earned real motherfuckin g status in this episode. i hope gaim wraps with a bang, this has been one hell of a ride.

Zynx

I really should stop trying to predict what will happen in Gaim by assuming that the most obvious/likely outcome will occur.

Ryouma saying how Micchy was still a child and easy prey for manipulative adults really puts a cap on Micchy's entire story, and Kouta still able to be sympathetic for Micchy after all that's happened is admirable.

Gaim Warlord is in the preview - so you'd assume Kouta comes back from the "dead"? But what if it's Micchy that picks up the belt, somehow? Also, nice of Ryouma to leave a working driver behind for Minata

Possible end spoilers based on episode summaries

I wonder if he's going to help with the reconstruction of Zawame at the end as a new head of Yggdrasil or something to come full circle with his brother? Or maybe die trying to protect Kouta from Kaito in a last-ditch attempt to be sympathetic?

The first situation is actually a pretty neat outcome, if it happens. Finally out of his brother's shadow, learned from his brother's mistakes, finally understands and changes from child to adult?

Parallax

I really should stop trying to predict what will happen in Gaim by assuming that the most obvious/likely outcome will occur.

Ryouma saying how Micchy was still a child and easy prey for manipulative adults really puts a cap on Micchy's entire story, and Kouta still able to be sympathetic for Micchy after all that's happened is admirable.

Gaim Warlord is in the preview - so you'd assume Kouta comes back from the "dead"? But what if it's Micchy that picks up the belt, somehow? Also, nice of Ryouma to leave a working driver behind for Minata

honestly if micchy comes back from being broken like that to functioning, ill be amazed. he got talked down to by kouta, mai and ryouma. i wouldnt be suprised if we dont see him again until all this stuff is almost over

Xerotwo

Gaim 43

So exactly why Alt-Mai wasn't able to convey her message directly instead of a somewhat cryptic method?

I'm kinda surprised that Micchy is still alive, but at a unfortunate cost of his former friend and Mai's lives. And all that he has left is nothing, but suffering.

This episode was brutal.

WarRock

https://twitter.com/KamenRiderEru/status/504671265379344385/photo/1
hehehe

Well, back to discussing Gaim, I'm surprised that
Micchy didn't die and is the "only hero remaining"... until the next episode preview, obviously. Really wondering which role Bravo & co are going to take now.

And, Kouta's line to Micchy, "there is a long road ahead, what are a few mistakes?" sounded like a big implication to me. I just hope we don't get reset/cycle bullshit, after all, Sagara already gave us a time paradox with Mai's warnings this episode.

Oh!
I also need a movie where Sagara meets decade and world destroying shenanigans happens.

Outside spoilers, everything about Ryoma was great.

fertygo

Dear urobutchi

bazqF.gif

Jebus, you writing show for kids

Mai and Ryoma's death is so fucking brutal by context alone, wtf

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If you have Hulu Plus, the newest episode of Super Megaforce is up.
I don't have it so I'm just reading what's happening.
Dairanger shows up again. Including Silver turning into Ki- er White Ranger
Dairanger even has a name now. "Legendary Squadron Mode" ... So it's literally just "Sentai Mode". Bravo writers, your ineptitude continues to astound me.

jwk94

Jesus, Gaim. I can't help but feel the finale will disappoint somehow. Hell, could you imagine if they hit us with a cliffhanger that led into the winter movie?

Chaser will become good. I'm going to all but guarantee it. He'll be the Nazca we all wanted.

tumblr_mfin30ZURK1r8a2cfo1_500.jpg

Miss you, bro.

I forgot about Nazca =(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Welp, there goes bananaman.

Also I find it really weird that the show is only a few episodes done yet still has a "promote the movie" intro.

vareon

Welp, there goes bananaman.

Also I find it really weird that the show is only a few episodes done yet still has a "promote the movie" intro.

I forgot which one it is, but I remember one of the recent KR had a "WATCH OUR MOVIE" opening sequence even in its final episode.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lion Maru takes itself way more seriously than I would have thought.
lion-man-4.gif

I really wish there was more effort in subbing these older shows. A lot of the storylines are just as good if not better than some of the recent stuff. And I'll take goofy practical effects over really obvious CG any day of the week.

Boss Doggie

lion-man-4.gif

I really wish there was more effort in subbing these older shows. A lot of the storylines are just as good if not better than some of the recent stuff. And I'll take goofy practical effects over really obvious CG any day of the week.

That's technically the second lionmaru right? The first is a white lion. That studio also produced Ironman Tiger 7, which is a kamen rider furry (a tiger dude)

Also proto-Doggie!

Well... at least they're consistent.

WarRock

lion-man-4.gif

Never finished Lion Maru, but it is basically a very serious samurai drama with a poorly made lion costume as far as I remember.

Dear urobutchi

bazqF.gif

Jebus, you writing show for kids

Mai and Ryoma's death is so fucking brutal by context alone, wtf

I found
Micchy getting strangled after getting mentally broken twice
worse.

Defuser

Gaim ep 43
n7OtU9s.jpg

Godammit Urobochi.
Two strangulation scenes and suicide,
how is this a kids show again? Pls give me more, I love it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Mai time travel thing has me confused, mostly the part how she's talking over herself.

Kind of want to se Micchy pick up the belt and be Gaim to fight Kaito, was kind of hoping for something crazy like that early on in the show. Now that Kaito is likely the main bad guy for the rest of the show it'd make sense for Micchy to stop him since they've been on opposing sides throughout the show. Probably not happening though since I wouldn't be surprised if Kouta overcomes death somehow, probably with the Mai's help, maybe because he already has some of the golden fruit in his lock seed.

edit: The Mai thing was explained away with "Time is incredibly hard to alter. It'll be hard to even speak with the clarity you want." That's a real awful asspull for her vaguesness.

vareon

Mai time travel thing has me confused, mostly the part how she's talking over herself.

Kind of want to se Micchy pick up the belt and be Gaim to fight Kaito, was kind of hoping for something crazy like that early on in the show. Now that Kaito is likely the main bad guy for the rest of the show it'd make sense for Micchy to stop him since they've been on opposing sides throughout the show. Probably not happening though since I wouldn't be surprised if Kouta overcomes death somehow, probably with the Mai's help, maybe because he already has some of the golden fruit in his lock seed.

edit: The Mai thing was explained away with "Time is incredibly hard to alter. It'll be hard to even speak with the clarity you want." That's a real awful asspull for her vaguesness.

About Mai:

Yeah I don't feel that's the original plan. "Why do I keep saying different things!" despite her words actually makes sense, just vague.

WarRock

Her words make sense, but hardly expose what she wanted.

"If you keep going you'll get a bad end you can't escape from fate" is hardly conclusive.

alvmew

The way I see it, the strain of time travel made it so that really only her ideas were getting out, but not in the exact way she wanted to say them. So instead of saying "Kouta if you use that thing, you'll die and it'll cause a terrible chain of events", only the basic idea came out "beware and leave now, fate blah blah". Lol

javadoze

What would be a better explanation for Mai's
vague speeches to characters would be if the time-travel put a limit on how much she can interact with the past (kind of like static-fuzzy noise on a radio cutting out parts of a song) and that way only so much of her words (and meaning) get cut out (also, notice how blonde Mai seems to teleport around during her initial appearances).

That said, it seemed Urobuchi didn't quite think too much about that certain plot point.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My guess is
current Mai is the second loop and she doesn't enough power to change what she did the first time around.

Doubt it. Sagara clearly explains
that time travel is too hard to do even with the power of the fruit, and she wouldn't be able to speak clearly. Future Mai says things like "are you sure you want to follow this path? If you do, you'll have to fight to the bitter end", which is not a lie, but it's not a "don't do this please because you'll all kill yourselves". It's more of a "are you sure you want to do this? things will get fucked up if you do".

Since they don't know it's actual future Mai saying those things, they can't parse the full meaning of the words. They don't know that they'll fight EACH OTHER to the bitter end - the original gist of her warning is there, it's just not the full message. Her time traveling actually made things worse, because it told Sagara/Hellheim/The Snake who were the members that were fit to yield the power of the forbidden fruit. I wanted to watch the FutureMai/DJ Sagara conversation on the rooftop looking at an exploding Yggdrasil tower to see if they changed the lines of dialog, but I don't remember in which episode that was and I lost all of my previous downloaded episodes, so I can't quickly do a search for it

Time Travel is always a hard mechanic to use, and it's always full of plot holes, but this one works alright. I like of Time Travel plots where the story beats are an endless loop where things keep happening, no matter how hard you try to stop them, and you usually end up enabling them to happen/only temporarily avoiding them or making things worse. This falls into that line of thought.

Fake Edit: Wow, all spoilered post. Sorry for that.

WarRock

What would be a better explanation for Mai's
vague speeches to characters would be if the time-travel put a limit on how much she can interact with the past (kind of like static-fuzzy noise on a radio cutting out parts of a song) and that way only so much of her words (and meaning) get cut out (also, notice how blonde Mai seems to teleport around during her initial appearances).

That said, it seemed Urobuchi didn't quite think too much about that certain plot point.

That is more or less how I interpreted it and I fail to see how it is a poorly thought plot point. The power of the Fruit is tremendous, but
time
is too taxing to manipulate so you are very prone to fail. Otherwise, certainly other Chosen/Woman of Beginning would have succeeded at it, it's a very obvious way to "fix" the whole Helheim mess.

Also, you guys should watch Blue Blazes.

Boss Doggie

Doubt it. Sagara clearly explains
that time travel is too hard to do even with the power of the fruit, and she wouldn't be able to speak clearly. Future Mai says things like "are you sure you want to follow this path? If you do, you'll have to fight to the bitter end", which is not a lie, but it's not a "don't do this please because you'll all kill yourselves". It's more of a "are you sure you want to do this? things will get fucked up if you do".

Since they don't know it's actual future Mai saying those things, they can't parse the full meaning of the words. They don't know that they'll fight EACH OTHER to the bitter end - the original gist of her warning is there, it's just not the full message. Her time traveling actually made things worse, because it told Sagara/Hellheim/The Snake who were the members that were fit to yield the power of the forbidden fruit. I wanted to watch the FutureMai/DJ Sagara conversation on the rooftop looking at an exploding Yggdrasil tower to see if they changed the lines of dialog, but I don't remember in which episode that was and I lost all of my previous downloaded episodes, so I can't quickly do a search for it

Time Travel is always a hard mechanic to use, and it's always full of plot holes, but this one works alright. I like of Time Travel plots where the story beats are an endless loop where things keep happening, no matter how hard you try to stop them, and you usually end up enabling them to happen/only temporarily avoiding them or making things worse. This falls into that line of thought.

Fake Edit: Wow, all spoilered post. Sorry for that.

It was in the ep with the introduction of Triumphant. I think 20?

LostAnkh

By the way, I noticed with my re-watch of OOO, they re-used some BGM from it with Gaim. It was episode 34, where PutoTyra gets back up from being kicked by Ankh(Lost), while Gaim had it when Zangetsu Shin appears and destroys the giant dragon invess.

Best episode of the series. Prove me wrong.
I can never prove that wrong, it really is the best episode.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Anyone think of Digimon 02 when Sagara and Mai were traveling through time?

Also noticed the ToQ-crossover appeared during that segment in the scenes. I guess it was canon, lol.

NeonZ

Also noticed the ToQ-crossover appeared during that segment in the scenes. I guess it was canon, lol.

Huh? I don't think the Toqger crossover was in any of those scenes. I was looking for it and couldn't see it. The Kikaider episode was there though. It's probably because it's not technically part of the tv series, since it was a tv special considered its own standalone program, like a made for tv movie. They also didn't include scenes from the summer movie (or any of the other movies).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ToQ #26:

I really liked the episode with the lighter mood. ToQger really plays better when it's light hearted hinjinks. Kagura gets a little on my nerves with the overly kid behavior (but I'm guessing she was the youngest when their city was taken by the darkness, so...), but she was pretty good in this episode.

Maybe spoilers of Ep 27, but it shows up on "coming up next week" at the end, so I won't tag as spoiers:

Dang man... more red-specific upgraded forms? Is that the norm nowadays with Sentai? Is it to counter the "sixth member is much cooler than any of them" trope?

It's a clever design and a good idea, but looks so weird on him.

.... I still can't get over the "they're all kids so they act like kids while fighting" motif.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
ToQger 26

Twas alright. It wasn't annoying like some of the other light episodes.
Akira is still the best character.

*sees next episode preview* Time for the Super Mode. Reminds me of the Miracle Headers in Goseiger.
Hopefully it's not just Red-centric and can be shared by the others.

There's a lot of (very B-movie-ish) practical effects work in the Angry Video Game Nerd movie that may be of interest to toku fans
including a giant monster in the finale

The movie's kinda dull at times (though it definitely has its moments) and won't win you over if you aren't a fan of the humour of the web series but worth a look.

Parallax

can someone tell me if that cream reference was actually said in the japanese version in the last toQ?

jwk94

Is it just me or does ToQger not have many/any regular civilians? Like certain sentai had episodes where a team member had to help a civilian out of trouble or something. hell, that was a pretty significant part of Gokaiger.

ToQ 26 was really good. I love these relaxed episodes. Anyone else forget Kagura's personality change thing?

Also, did anyone else notice Micchy's weapon in Hell arms was Redue's staff?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also, did anyone else notice Micchy's weapon in Hell arms was Redue's staff?

One of the whole points of Hell Fruit Arms was that he could use every Overlord's weapon (although he only used the spear and an axe). Kinda an inverse version of Kiwami Arms. We've known this since a few weeks before it appeared.

jwk94

One of the whole points of Hell Fruit Arms was that he could use every Overlord's weapon (although he only used the spear and an axe). Kinda an inverse version of Kiwami Arms. We've known this since a few weeks before it appeared.
I hadn't caught that, sorry.

Top Bottom