• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

I'm actually really glad for the extra monsters with every boss. It seems like most classes can take advantage of them, exploding their corpse to produce some result. A summon-focused outlander would be totally screwed without little mobs to spawn more bats. It makes blindness/fear/stun/debuff focused characters viable by letting you shut them out so you can focus on the boss. Berserker's Rupture explosion, or Rampage, or Battle Rage that gives buffs for number of nearby enemies (same as equipment providing these effects too).

I know that doesn't mean it's effective in practice, but I'm glad they made the decision all the same. Looking over my outlander's skill list initially I was worried about his viability on bosses, but they made an attempt to have mob-killing/distracting a good part of boss fights as well.

Yeah, my whole strategy wouldn't work vs big bosses without all the smaller mobs around the bosses.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Number one all time most important question I could come up with: Why open multiplayer as opposed to server side character storage? Surely the team is aware of how badly ravaged Diablo's multiplayer was due to cheating, and for many multiplayer centered players like myself, this will likely severely limit the replayability of the game. I think I know the answer but I'd still like to hear it.

max already answered this some time ago. They wanted to make modding a big part of the game, and they they specifically said that you either allow modability, or you do a secure online structure.

Basically, they don't give two shits about cheating, because they'd rather people mod the game to make it whatever they want.

Personally, I think it was a great decision. There's no PVP in the game, so I'm not entirely sure what you're cheating against.

(Max talked about it on the Big Live Live Show Live on Giant Bomb last week)

Sajjaja

max already answered this some time ago. They wanted to make modding a big part of the game, and they they specifically said that you either allow modability, or you do a secure online structure.

Basically, they don't give two shits about cheating, because they'd rather people mod the game to make it whatever they want.

Personally, I think it was a great decision. There's no PVP in the game, so I'm not entirely sure what you're cheating against.

Also, if you are in fact a multiplayer based player, chances are you would have friends to play with. Be happy you have GAF :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And the modability actually severely INCREASES replayability, not decreases like you predict, Fugu. People will be making mods for years to come for this game, because each new class or spell scroll or potion that someone mods into the game will breathe new life into the game.

Sajjaja

If I want to make a tanking engy, what stats would I want? I have 50 to use. Skills I guess I can figure out.

Vitality is definitely one of them as it increases your armor and health iirc. And strength for sure so you can actually fight instead up just standing there doing nothing. Those are most important. You distribute into focus and dex at your discretion, but I might go a bit more into focus as a tanky engi is mana reliant to actually accomplish anything(but if you're smart you should manage fine with what you got). This is all my opinion of course, having never played as but only played with.

Blizzard

Banned
And the modability actually severely INCREASES replayability, not decreases like you predict, Fugu. People will be making mods for years to come for this game, because each new class or spell scroll or potion that someone mods into the game will breathe new life into the game.
The counter-argument to this is people saying that Torchlight 1 had mod support and no one ever made anything much, or made anything worthwhile.

The counter-argument to THAT may be that there were lots of worthwhile mods, but I really know hardly anything about the Torchlight 1 mod situation, or whether the tools are a lot more complex for Torchlight 2.

I think I like Veteran better than Elite. With 4-6 people it can take forever to even kill some early enemies on Veteran, and not necessarily because they're hard, just because it might take so long to do damage. Or maybe that changes by level 15 or so. There was an early Elite dungeon in the frost area that was super difficult, which was about the limit of my Elite experience since we stopped there.

thetrin

The counter-argument to this is people saying that Torchlight 1 had mod support and no one ever made anything much, or made anything worthwhile.

The counter-argument to THAT may be that there were lots of worthwhile mods, but I really know hardly anything about the Torchlight 1 mod situation, or whether the tools are a lot more complex for Torchlight 2.

I think I like Veteran better than Elite. With 4-6 people it can take forever to even kill some early enemies on Veteran, and not necessarily because they're hard, just because it might take so long to do damage. Or maybe that changes by level 15 or so. There was an early Elite dungeon in the frost area that was super difficult, which was about the limit of my Elite experience since we stopped there.

Torchlight II has one great thing behind it: Steam Workshop. Workshop alone makes getting mods easier, and seeking out the right mod far easier. TL1 had to rely on the runic forums for a mod community, and it severely limited the game.

I have a feeling we'll see some pretty cool mods for TL2 pretty quickly.

Torchlight II has one great thing behind it: Steam Workshop. Workshop alone makes getting mods easier, and seeking out the right mod far easier. TL1 had to rely on the runic forums for a mod community, and it severely limited the game.

I have a feeling we'll see some pretty cool mods for TL2 pretty quickly.

there's 2 version. steam and PW version. i wonder how they'll handle that.

Actually, you can type /pvp to duel if you want!

I also recommend typing /emote and trying some of those out online for fun. /breakdance is radical.

spirity

Is Schaefer's name on any hammers in this game?

Maybe not a hammer..

max_zps866a6964.jpg

I also recommend typing /emote and trying some of those out online for fun. /breakdance is radical.

what. LOL i have to try that. what are some other commands that the game has? Oh and i tried pvp. i think i'll have an open room and hopefully someone else turned on pvp too lol.

Sarcasm

you just need to paste that code into Anti-Aliasing Compatibility (not the D1x one, just the regular one) and then you should be able to enable any type of AA you want to use. to use SGSSAA specifically, I find this guide to be the most helpful: http://naturalviolence.webs.com/sgssaa.htm

basically you select 4xMSAA in the mode, select 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling in Transparency Supersampling, adjust the LOD Bias to -1 and force 16xAF high quality textures to minimise blurring.

Still lost.

Where it says mode change to over ride or enhance? I than go to setting and select 4Xmultisampling. Than Transparency SS select sparse grid SS, LOD to -1 and where do I force 16xAF? I see nothing mentioning turn on or force...and under AF for mode its app-controlled, user-defined/off, ANSIO_MODE_SELECTOR_MODE and 0000 (RAGE)...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Berserker strikes out with the ladies.

iQ8y9h7cr6Tr5.jpg

No one told him you aren't supposed to stare directly at the breasts.

ib0koC977VDz4z.jpg

A new land and new duds, but the girls here really aren't his style.
Poor Jason Statham. I guess he'll just have to take out his frustrations on thousands of enemies.

Fun fact: I was tired of the same old same old, so I was originally going to have him be a black guy with a beard, but Ruinic seems to think black guys can't have beards. Weird.

Puckmarin

Banned
Quick question: I'm playing the game on "Normal" and finding it a bit too easy. If I complete the game on normal will my character carry over to harder difficulties or will I need to make a new character?

Quick question: I'm playing the game on "Normal" and finding it a bit too easy. If I complete the game on normal will my character carry over to harder difficulties or will I need to make a new character?

It will stay on normal difficulty. You can make a new internet game and play on new difficulty. They need to change this.

TheExodu5

Banned

You can load up another difficulty if you play Online or on LAN. Singleplayer appears to be stuck at whatever difficulty you picked, though.

scy

Few pages back but my god. What level and skill level is this?

45% would be 9/15, I believe, so that's at least Level 35. I also assume that's five Charges so the base value is a fair bit lower (though ~1637 base is still fairly good).

I really need to look into seeing how it scales.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Oh yeah, since I was talking about how silly Forcefield is a page or so back....this is my current one.

torchlight22012-09-23vou2o.png

anyone who thinks forcefield is silly, is silly. that shield absorbs so much goddamn dmg. and when you combine shield charge (to gain charges) and forcefield. you become a tank.

It will stay on normal difficulty. You can make a new internet game and play on new difficulty. They need to change this.

You can load up another difficulty if you play Online or on LAN. Singleplayer appears to be stuck at whatever difficulty you picked, though.

Is this something they have stated will be changed? I figured I'd start on Normal to get a good feel for the game and then move on to the higher difficulties once finished. Now I'm thinking I'll just start over.

Taffer

I was mainly using a cannon in the beta and switching to greathammer to spend my charge, I've switched round now, charging in with the hammer & a forcefield up and only switching to the cannon to give myself some room from champions with the crazy knockback & stun chance or to shoot fast/flying things that kite me. I quite liked the gunbot during the beta but the cooldown was daft enough that I tended not to summon it in case I'd need it soon.
Now I see the rank bonuses for the gunbot reduce the cooldown but I can't remember if the cooldown starts when you summon it or when it expires (thank you Guild Wars 2), can anyone enlighten me? Is it (at rank three) 60 seconds of summon duration and then 30 seconds of cooldown remain or 60 seconds of gunishment and then 90 seconds of waiting?

Recall

If still wearing my level 3 green bracers bracers that have 100% immunity to Stun, knockback etc etc, seems so good for a green too. Currently level 31 Outlander and yet to find any unique weapons that critical as often as my current blues.

Fugu

(Max talked about it on the Big Live Live Show Live on Giant Bomb last week)
That doesn't really answer my question, though.

Surely the team that designed Diablo 2 has played Diablo 2, which has both open and closed battle.net.

I edited my question above to further clarify.

As for cheating a PvE game, people wouldn't have played Diablo 2 for nearly as long as they did if it weren't for the closed nature of the game's economy. Yes, there was definitely duping, but outside of the act 3 mercenary method -- which was patched -- most duping methods were far too impractical for the average player to do them. In an entirely open system, literally any player can completely flood the economy.

Now I see the rank bonuses for the gunbot reduce the cooldown but I can't remember if the cooldown starts when you summon it or when it expires (thank you Guild Wars 2), can anyone enlighten me? Is it (at rank three) 60 seconds of summon duration and then 30 seconds of cooldown remain or 60 seconds of gunishment and then 90 seconds of waiting?

In my experience, cooldown starts as soon as you cast the spell, so for example I can refresh my outlander hex debuff before it wears off (1 minute duration, 45 second cooldown).

daxy

Djinni's second task. What the hell. How am I supposed to survive everything shooting at me? (Outlander, pure dex/str) Been having fun with the game up to now, but this is just dumb. Lost 10K on res just because it didn't place me back in the moving circle several times, but away from it on a spike pit.

That doesn't really answer my question, though.

Surely the team that designed Diablo 2 has played Diablo 2, which has both open and closed battle.net.

Yeah, that'd be nice. I don't see why they couldn't have a closed, unmoddable space for those who want to play that way. But I imagine that's expensive for them to maintain and enforce no cheating, etc.

Fugu

Yeah, that'd be nice. I don't see why they couldn't have a closed, unmoddable space for those who want to play that way. But I imagine that's expensive for them to maintain and enforce no cheating, etc.
I suspect that the answer is the expense, yes. I don't see any other reason it could be. Hopefully the sales of the game will cause them to change their minds.

Hydrogen

Banned
Art style is sooo awesome. Makes the game so feel good to play and look at. Specially after coming from the realistic boredomness of GW2.

I suspect that the answer is the expense, yes. I don't see any other reason it could be. Hopefully the sales of the game will cause them to change their minds.

The sales of the game would cause them to realize it doesn't matter, everyone buys it anyway.

Recall

How are people taking photos of their items? or is there some command just to snap shot the item stats or is it just cropping?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
We're just cropping the pics, bro. If you don't have any image editor, irfanview is free and lightweight.

thetrin

Yeah, I mean real PvP implementation.

Top Bottom