• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Torraz

Dayum. I was just about to complain about no interesting drops... In the next half hour I find three set items, all ironlord - and three legendarys...

Lord Phol

Damn this game is awesome, maybe GOTY for me.
Was worried the combat would be meh but it feels great to me, dunno what people are smoking.

Torchlight and borderlands 2 have brought me back on the path of enjoying loot games that "the game that should not be named" removed me from.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
ibqLtjgSrbzZBk.jpg

Me and my dog Choco and his zombies.

Damn, Berserker is so much more than I imagined. His passives make him totally crazy. I have all three Hunter, all three Shadow, and one Tundra passive. With Eviscerate and Shadow Burst on top, that only leaves one more power to choose if I decide to max them all. So, I guess I won't max them all because he has a few more cool powers!

Current strategy thoughts:

• Going STR2-DEX2-FOC1 so I'm strong and crit a lot, but also hold a good execution rate (almost 25% now then items on top)
  • Executioner helps me build the charge to go berserk very often
  • Frenzy Mastery helps me keep the berserk state
  • Blood Hunger heals me very well while I'm berserk
  • Red Wolf helps me clean up even more
  • Rage Retaliation has my back
  • Shred Armor helps me dig into big guys
  • I want to max all 6 of those powers above.
  • Rampage is good for filling in the gaps between berserk states, but in the future those gaps will be much shorter. It also pocs pretty well with just one level, and I'm not sure putting more into it will pay off well for the amount of points put in.
  • Eviscerate is cheap, but it may not pay off well compared to Stormclaw and it isn't needed as much when Red Wolf and Rage Retaliation are on all the time. It also has a charge rate penalty which is against my main strategy.
  • Shadow Burst may be very much needed when the shit starts hitting the fan. It's healing and physical escape (to make room to hit potion) in one, and doesn't cost much. I might max it, but it depends on how bad things get later. All these passives will be taking up my skill points for a while.

Now, looking ahead to future investments (*possible maxing candidate):

• Raze could be cool on big enemies, but I need to know just how powerful it is.
  • Wolfstrike could be a more useful version of Shadow Burst when I get to those enemies that want to play keepaway.
  • Stormclaw* could be totally badass for wiping out hordes before they even reach me (Red Wolf help take care of them when they do reach me)
  • Iceshield* could be very necessary since I have to run up before I can hit projectile users, but then my dodge is pretty insane so I'm not sure.
  • Northern Rage might be good to have around for emergencies, but unless I'm pairing it with Shatter Storm it seems a bit against the play style of letting them come and building charge from that. Wolfstrike and Shadow Burst may play the same role better.
  • Cold Steel Mastery is a bit confusing. Is the Ice Damage percentage it lists an increase on ice if I am making an ice attack, or is it that percentage of my normal attack damage added in ice form? If it's the latter, this power would be awesome. Otherwise, it would only work to maximize a more Tundra-focused build.
  • Chain Snare could be useful to have at least one level in. Later on enemies like to scatter and throw stuff at you.
  • Wolf Shade seems like it would only be cool if you maxed it. That's a really short spawn time. How strong is he?
  • Wolfpack* sounds awesome on principle, even if it's just one expanding AOE attack. Is that what it is? I would assume they would tell you the summon duration if it were something else.

Please give me insights into the things I'm unsure of if you know about them.

FtHTiny

Dayum. I was just about to complain about no interesting drops... In the next half hour I find three set items, all ironlord - and three legendarys...

Can you link one legendary pls. Going from the steam achievement they must be really rare and i would like to see one.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm around level 14, and have the tier one in wolf shade. I've seen him crit for like 300 and he keeps me healed up pretty well. I really like it.

Ceebs

Beat the final boss. Lvl 52 and it took me 17 hours 35 minutes.

:) Last 2 bosses were total cakewalks. No potions required.

And of course, I got garbage for drops.

Morokh

Is there any cool transmutation recipe one can do with unneeded or bad/useless legendaries?

Put 2 or 3 (don't remember exactly) in the squares -> Get a random new one.

2 Spells - > Random spell

3 Potions -> 1 potion of higher tier

1 item without socket + 2 gems of the same level -> Adds a socket to your item.

the ones i found so far.

Torraz

Put 2 or 3 (don't remember exactly) in the squares -> Get a random new one.

2 Spells - > Random spell

3 Potions -> 1 potion of higher tier

1 item without socket + 2 gems of the same level -> Adds a socket to your item.

the ones i found so far.

2 set items = new set item
3 gems = random (higher quality) gem

:edit: as for uniques, according to my game, it is 4 uniques= random new one.

Anyone else noticing that there basically aren't any secret areas past Act 1?

I mean, there are still locations where you go off map and find treasure, but very rarely does it say YOU HAVE FOUND A SECRET AREA.

Makes the achievement tough if all I can do is find them in Act 1.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Woah, I didn't realize how effective the armor leech on the Shred Armor ability was. No wonder I wasn't getting hurt in hordes. I guess it's pretty much just magic that I have to worry about.

Wow, killed some random mob and his death opened a secret portal... Had to run around defending 3-4 portals from mobs and got a chest at each one for defending them. :D

Apparently you can cheat a bit at gambling - if you pick up a gem in your inventory, it will show you which items have sockets, and uniques will always have sockets, so that improves your chances somewhat.

Haven't tested this, I just read it online, hopefully it hasn't been patched out or anything.

This game is awesome.
Do NOT start on NORMAL if you're not new to click RPGs.
Veteran is truly the sweet spot for this game - and don't worry about which character to pick, they are all equally fun.

I'm really glad I chose Normal, it's been tough enough. I've had plenty of close calls and have died quite a few times in Act 3 (possibly partly because I'm a glass cannon relying on buffs/debuffs to keep me alive).

Normal is fine. There are no loot or other benefits for higher difficulties, just achievements.

vareon

The Forsaken Vaults with rapid-firing Outlander is pretty awesome. It somehow turns my Torchlight II into a top-down Contra.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, sounds like you all are having fun! I haven't bought the game yet, truth is I just have too many other games right now to play. WoW expansion is out tomorrow. FTL is taking all my time. Minecraft needs it's love every couple days. Plus a huge backlog. And then there is Diablo III.

Speaking of D3, what's the general consensus from the peeps who have played TL2 for many hours? Is TL2 a better game? Is it more satisfying to play? I still play D3 now and then but it certainly does not have whatever made Diablo II such an incredible game for me. I get tired and bored with D3, that never happened in D2. And I liked the first Torchlight very much, and from everything I've read TL2 is better in every way than TL1.

But you players having a blast in TL2, do you still see yourself ever playing D3 again, or has TL2 totally overshadowed it?

Ashodin

Speaking of D3, what's the general consensus from the peeps who have played TL2 for many hours? Is TL2 a better game? Is it more satisfying to play? I still play D3 now and then but it certainly does not have whatever made Diablo II such an incredible game for me. I get tired and bored with D3, that never happened in D2. And I liked the first Torchlight very much, and from everything I've read TL2 is better in every way than TL1.

This game does the loot better. That's all I need to make it better than D3.

FtHTiny

But you players having a blast in TL2, do you still see yourself ever playing D3 again, or has TL2 totally overshadowed it?

I will play both games from now on. I didn´t play much d3 before tl2 but i have fun with both.

I find the combat and skills in d3 better but the rest is currently better in torchlight 2.

RS4-

Does anyone know what the other pieces are to the zerker Feral set? I only have the chest and boots.

Oh yeah, found a ring that gives 95hp/sec for every enemy 3m around you lol.

What was the site that had full item lists, by level, etc?

zulux21

I can't attempt to make money from TL2 so yes I will play more D3, though I am currently working on selling my gear in anticipation of a huge armor market crash after 1.0.5 lol. TL2 has lived up to what I hoped for it to be... a fun to play loot game. D3 will remain what it has been from the start, a part time job where I grind and hope I win the lotto lol.

Twinduct

I will play both games from now on. I didn´t play much d3 before tl2 but i have fun with both.

I find the combat and skills in d3 better but the rest is currently better in torchlight 2.

Yeah I really like TL2's skills, but D3's 'generators' spoiled me a bit. I honestly wished they kept the old rune system in D3. Hell my perfect game would be a cross between TL2 & D3. Cherry picking the things both excel at.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This game does the loot better. That's all I need to make it better than D3.

That's one of the issues I was most interested in hearing about. The loot drops in D3 seem....off, somehow. I've got over a hundred hours into the game, half of that at the end of Hell or in the start of Inferno. And it just seems like the gear I need in order to progress can only be obtained from either the areas I'm too weak to play in, or the auction house. I'm only up to half way through Act II Inferno so far but it's slow and hard to progress because my gear just isn't good enough. And it's very rare that I actually get a drop I can use, I'll bet 90% of what I'm wearing is stuff I bought off the AH. And in all my play time I've not seen one recipe, not one legendary, not one set item. D2 by comparison dropped so much stuff that I needed mules to store it all. The loot is the incentive to keep playing, and D3 just seems lackluster in that regard.

If Torchlight 2 has a better loot progression feel, it it's tuned so that you can progress by simply playing the game and not get so frustrated that it makes you want to turn it off, then I may have to buy it sooner than later....

Booter

anyone planning to do HC elite? lol.

i'm only playing HC characters and only playing on elite. so far I've lost 2 lvl 12s (mage and engi), and i currently have 2 live lvl 12s (engi and outlander).

it's so intense, i can't go back to playing this genre in non-HC any more

v0mitg0d

Hello everyone!

Torchlight 2 has launched and I.Eat.Games. (ME!) will be interviewing Max Schaefer today at 4PM PST. Post your questions here and I'll pass them on to him.

Thanks!

NIN90

Hello everyone!

Torchlight 2 has launched and I.Eat.Games. (ME!) will be interviewing Max Schaefer today at 4PM PST. Post your questions here and I'll pass them on to him.

Thanks!

Ask him what he thinks of launching so close to Borderlands 2. It's a loot game though much different because it's an FPS.
Runic did say they were avoiding Diablo 3 launch window for obvious reasons.

zulux21

Hello everyone!

Thanks!

*tries to think of some*
How in depth will the mod tools be. will we be able to for example create whole new classes, or will we have to edit existing ones.

I recall talk of one of the people wanting to add cursed weapons (and hoping to add them as a mod after launch) I was curious what mechanic would being cursed use. Would it be something you would need to do a quest in order to take off... or perhaps a powerful weapon that has major drawbacks (for example power of a level 30 at level 15 but also makes all your skills cost twice as much and you to take 100 damage with every hit)

What are some things you are really proud of about TL2?

What is one of the things that you wish you could have done just a bit better (we all know no one is completely happy with how something turned out)

Legend of Zelda or My Little Pony, which one will become a TL2 full game mod first?

that's all I have and I don't even know if any of them are any good... I am a little out of it lol

scy

Really wish I built my Outlander with higher Focus. Glaive Throw is pretty ridiculous and it's a purely Focus-scaling skill. Need stat point respecs! Thankfully, STR is still useful for the Crit Damage% bonus but ... still.

Always so torn on how to distribute my stat points in general. My Engineer has been doing 3/0/0/2 for awhile but the VIT benefit is pretty minor overall (seems like ~3.5 HP/point). May switch to 3/1/1/0 to get more out my damage, though it feels weird to raise Focus without DWing for the Execute chance ... and most the Elemental damage skills scale better with STR. Hm.

aeolist

Banned
This probably won't be a popular opinion but I really wish the game had an option for Bastion-like controls, especially since I'm playing an Outlander.

I hope the mod tools will allow something like this.

"How in depth will the mod tools be. will we be able to for example create whole new classes, or will we have to edit existing ones."

If it's anything like the TL1 tools (and I'd imagine it is and more), yes, you can create whole new classes.

FtHTiny

Have you guys already discussed why the mobs despawn at the edges of the screen?
It´s really irritating at some times and hurts the overall play as an embermage for me. You can kind of easily test it out, debuff a mob and run out of the screen. After a minute run back to the mob and the debuff is still up. (debuffdur = 8 sec.)
Very frustrating sometimes with prismatic bolt that would easily hit them but you ran 1 step to far away and waste them into nothing.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, I've beaten the game on normal. I know I'm not at end game yet, so I should reserve judgement...but I'm 90% sure I can say this is the best loot game I've played. Better than Diablo 2. Better than TitanQuest. Better than Diablo 3. Besides the sometimes annoying targeting system, and the lack of closed online, I really don't have much to complain about.

It's pretty amazing that I wasn't even considering getting this, as I really didn't care for Torchlight 1. A friend of mine gifted it to me, which is the only reason I played it. I'm really glad he did, otherwise I may have missed the boat, at least until a sale.

Ashodin

"How in depth will the mod tools be. will we be able to for example create whole new classes, or will we have to edit existing ones."

If it's anything like the TL1 tools (and I'd imagine it is and more), yes, you can create whole new classes.

Welp time to get crackin' on that Paladin class.

Top Bottom