• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

TheExodu5

Banned
Really considering getting Forcefield on my Engineer...Aegis of Fate just isn't reliable enough for boss fights. Afraid I might waste 15 points on a skill I don't need when I'm properly geared, though.

Ashodin

Really considering getting Forcefield on my Engineer...Aegis of Fate just isn't reliable enough for boss fights. Afraid I might waste 15 points on a skill I don't need when I'm properly geared, though.

I wonder though. Forcefield uses whatever Charges you have, so I wonder if it will last long enough to use it, then work on charges for Overload after without it going down? I don't know.

TheExodu5

Banned
I wonder though. Forcefield uses whatever Charges you have, so I wonder if it will last long enough to use it, then work on charges for Overload after without it going down? I don't know.

Well, I have 50% block, 25% dodge, and Aegis of Fate...hopefully those can keep me up.

Is anyone else having trouble being underleveled? I just beat act 1 on my outlander and I'm only level 16 while the enemies are 22.. I didn't skip monsters and cleared most of all the maps.

Ashodin

Well, I have 50% block, 25% dodge, and Aegis of Fate...hopefully those can keep me up.

I agree that Aegis of Fate is pretty spotty though. That skill doesn't seem worth it but it's a godsend whenever it procs. I wish there were more class specific affixes on items. Having one that boosts Aegis of Fate's proc rate would be fantastic.

Ashodin

You can't respec stat points? Nooooo!

Well I hope 2/2/0/1 for my berserker and 3/0/0/2 for my engineer is the right choice.

You can, you just will be flagged online for using console commands.

Go to the game's settings.ini in the Runic Games folder (making sure to edit YOUR account ini, not the general ini), Press INS, and type in "resetstats" (without quotes). It will refund all points and you can respec all you want.

edit: I think that's right.

scy

Aegis doesn't seem to scale amazingly well compared to what Forcefield will get to so there's that. Forcefield being an active (that takes Charges) is probably the potentially larger issue since it conflicts with Charges for damage. Engineer Charge mechanic is really kind of fun compared to the others (e.g., Outlander just shoot things to keep it full!)

I kind of wish I didn't pump points into Coup de Grace to be honest. The damage won't scale amazingly well and it's really limited to just trash enemies since you won't be stunning bosses. Then again, my Engineer build has 15 points leftover with nowhere to put them besides maxing Overload "just because" and that's with Forcefield or Aegis. Though, I'm partially thinking Dynamo Field for Charge generation may be better utility in the end.

Maybe get Charge Reconstitution instead ...

You can't respec stat points? Nooooo!

Well I hope 2/2/0/1 for my berserker and 3/0/0/2 for my engineer is the right choice.

Depends on your build. Tundra Berserker has a lot of low WeaponDPS scaling (and/or just level scaling Magic damage) so they're better off with a high Focus, for instance. Base Crit Chance can be sacrificed some for a STR/Focus split probably due to their Charge mechanic as well.

Vitality doesn't seem to be that impressive of a stat to me. The Armor% is nice but the HP/point isn't huge. If I could redo my characters, I'd probably skip VIT without any real care in the world.

lordy88

Hello everyone!

Torchlight 2 has launched and I.Eat.Games. (ME!) will be interviewing Max Schaefer today at 4PM PST. Post your questions here and I'll pass them on to him.

Thanks!

- Are there any plans to fix the small range of creature pop-in? Constantly, I am running discovering new enemies fading into areas that I should have seen when the location entered the screen. I have a 24 meter shot on my flame spear, but I can't see anything 24 meters away to shoot! Are there plans to at least add an option to increase the range of pop-in?

- Are there any plans to add a character details screen? That is, a window that displays all the information we would want to know (gold find %, crit chance, % Fire damage added, etc.).

spiritfox

You don't have to worry about charges with Forcefield. It works just as well without any charge, just goes down faster. Just run around a bit till the short CD ends.

scy

- Are there any plans to add a character details screen? That is, a window that displays all the information we would want to know (gold find %, crit chance, % Fire damage added, etc.).

Erm, isn't this in the game? Default key should be J to bring it up. It even has weapon statistics like swing range.

You don't have to worry about charges with Forcefield. It works as well without any charge, just goes down faster. Just run around a bit till the short CD ends.

The bigger issue is that it uses them if they're available. Kind of hard to get to full Charge for an Overload build if every refresh of Forcefield will eat them!

jabuseika

Whoa, now that is cool.

nr0TO.jpg

Hello everyone!

Torchlight 2 has launched and I.Eat.Games. (ME!) will be interviewing Max Schaefer today at 4PM PST. Post your questions here and I'll pass them on to him.

Thanks!

1. Any chance of beginning new game plus on a harder difficulty?

2. Still no chance of releasing this on a console?

3. What are their plans for the real money auction house?

4. Are there any lessons they could learn from Diablo 3?

Torraz

Is anyone else having trouble being underleveled? I just beat act 1 on my outlander and I'm only level 16 while the enemies are 22.. I didn't skip monsters and cleared most of all the maps.

Other way around, up until mid act 2 I was perfectly levelled. At the end of act 2 (veteran) I was slightly overleveled.

Really wish I built my Outlander with higher Focus. Glaive Throw is pretty ridiculous and it's a purely Focus-scaling skill. Need stat point respecs! Thankfully, STR is still useful for the Crit Damage% bonus but ... still.

Mana leech!

I'm level 50, I've never put a single point into focus (straight dex and str). I have 20 mana leech total on my weapons, and I just alternate between regular shots and glaive throws when I'm refilled. Also helps to keep tossing the pacts down.

Also only get Glaive Throw to 5 points, the first tier. After that the mana costs keep going up and you won't be able to toss many at all.

Not sure about that stuff, but I'm level 32 playing on veteran and I use my forcefield all the freaking time.

scy

Mana leech!

I'm level 50, I've never put a single point into focus (straight dex and str). I have 20 mana leech total on my weapons, and I just alternate between regular shots and glaive throws when I'm refilled. Also helps to keep tossing the pacts down.

Also only get Glaive Throw to 5 points, the first tier. After that the mana costs keep going up and you won't be able to toss many at all.

It's for the +Magic Damage. Focus increases Glaive damage, STR will merely make it crit harder. DEX/Focus until you get to the Dodge cap (~100 DEX) and then just STR/Focus is probably the best use of points for them.

High Focus Glaive Throw with Master of the Elements can become stupid. Like, 20,000+ damage stupid :x

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
-How are you guys profitable as a company/how releasing that much content for that cheap works?

-Any plans for an extension down the road, say a couple extra acts and characters?

So, sounds like you all are having fun! I haven't bought the game yet, truth is I just have too many other games right now to play. WoW expansion is out tomorrow. FTL is taking all my time. Minecraft needs it's love every couple days. Plus a huge backlog. And then there is Diablo III.

Speaking of D3, what's the general consensus from the peeps who have played TL2 for many hours? Is TL2 a better game? Is it more satisfying to play? I still play D3 now and then but it certainly does not have whatever made Diablo II such an incredible game for me. I get tired and bored with D3, that never happened in D2. And I liked the first Torchlight very much, and from everything I've read TL2 is better in every way than TL1.

But you players having a blast in TL2, do you still see yourself ever playing D3 again, or has TL2 totally overshadowed it?

TL2 does some things better, some things worse. Loot is much better in TL2, and I prefer the random map design. On the other hand, combat and skills are much worse.

I'm done with D3 for now, but I'll certainly be going back and playing it again in the future. As I did with D2 over the years.

It's for the +Magic Damage. Focus increases Glaive damage, STR will merely make it crit harder. DEX/Focus until you get to the Dodge cap (~100 DEX) and then just STR/Focus is probably the best use of points for them.

High Focus Glaive Throw with Master of the Elements can become stupid. Like, 20,000+ damage stupid :x

Oh, I thought you meant you didn't have the mana to use it.

I dunno, I haven't felt that it lacks in power at all, just at level 5 with base mana. Of course it have probably be twinked better but I'm enjoying myself.

TheExodu5

Banned
Aegis doesn't seem to scale amazingly well compared to what Forcefield will get to so there's that. Forcefield being an active (that takes Charges) is probably the potentially larger issue since it conflicts with Charges for damage. Engineer Charge mechanic is really kind of fun compared to the others (e.g., Outlander just shoot things to keep it full!)

I kind of wish I didn't pump points into Coup de Grace to be honest. The damage won't scale amazingly well and it's really limited to just trash enemies since you won't be stunning bosses. Then again, my Engineer build has 15 points leftover with nowhere to put them besides maxing Overload "just because" and that's with Forcefield or Aegis. Though, I'm partially thinking Dynamo Field for Charge generation may be better utility in the end.

Maybe get Charge Reconstitution instead ...

Problem is, there is no charge spending skill that's good for bosses...Forcefield would just be a way to spend charges on bosses. The way I see it: Forcefield on bosses, Overload on packs. Shouldn't be too much of a conflict there.

It's really a shame Coup de Grace can't proc on a lot of enemies...it really does deal a lot of damage, and I believe it does scale really well. 10x your strength as damage at 15/15...and you can get 2-3 procs off before a stun wears off. That's a fair bit of damage. Overload will proc it as well, which is nice.

I really do wish bosses would at least get some sort of debuff instead of a stun just so Coup de Grace would work. Might be a bit too strong then, though.

Forkball

I didn't know a timed transforming fish would override a permanent one. In the description I thought it meant it would keep the form until it ate another permanent fish. So my cool molebeast went back to a panther. I did find one that permanently transforms it into a jackalbeast, but man that thing is ugly.

Also I have like 15% magic find now and I'm finding things like crazy.

scy

Oh, I thought you meant you didn't have the mana to use it.

I dunno, I haven't felt that it lacks in power at all, just at level 5 with base mana. Of course it have probably be twinked better but I'm enjoying myself.

No reason not to raise it, really. Depending on the build, anyway. Glaive Throw and Cursed Daggers both scale with Focus only and Venomous Hail benefits from Focus greatly as well. Flaming Glaive scales with STR/Focus if you go that route. Plus, Execute chance!

Granted, I try to min/max things a lot :x

Problem is, there is no charge spending skill that's good for bosses...Forcefield would just be a way to spend charges on bosses. The way I see it: Forcefield on bosses, Overload on packs. Shouldn't be too much of a conflict there.

Flame Hammer hits multiple times on larger enemies, though I suppose it doesn't actually need the Charges for that. Ember Hammer gains bonus damage from Charges and doesn't deplete them, though I don't like how the skill itself works.

I really do wish bosses would at least get some sort of debuff instead of a stun just so Coup de Grace would work. Might be a bit too strong then, though.

I'd love it forever.

Though, in regard to the damage, 9.5 (10?) times the STR isn't bad. ~900-ish to ~2000-ish (...maybe more, if you go really wild with STR) base damage is probably pretty good. Maybe? I don't really know what kind of base damage to expect from scaling skills at Levels 70-100.

I didn't know a timed transforming fish would override a permanent one. In the description I thought it meant it would keep the form until it ate another permanent fish. So my cool molebeast went back to a panther. I did find one that permanently transforms it into a jackalbeast, but man that thing is ugly.

Also I have like 15% magic find now and I'm finding things like crazy.

gold items. sogood.

RS4-

re: changing difficulty on NG+

Just make an online/lan game and change the difficulty there. But it looks like you always have to do that, or else if you do SP offline, it'll default to what you originally started with on that character.

Got lucky and found two more pieces of the Feral set. Did find some nice embermage armor, hexenjaeger? 444HP, +20% bonus wand/staff damage.

spiritfox

It's really a shame Coup de Grace can't proc on a lot of enemies...it really does deal a lot of damage, and I believe it does scale really well. 10x your strength as damage at 15/15...and you can get 2-3 procs off before a stun wears off. That's a fair bit of damage. Overload will proc it as well, which is nice.

Maxed Tremor and Coup de Grace is a pretty good combo too. And Tremor doesn't need a charge for its effects, just the damage which is not the main point of the skill.

Most bosses should spawn enough trash mobs for Coup de Grace to work on. Or am I wrong that it's not an AOE skill?

I have so much money is there anything amazing you can get with it?

Go gamble or enchant. No more money!

fresquito

I'm already misssing a respec potion. I started building my engie in a very different way than I now play it. Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun, although controls start to feel a bit wonky at times. Skill buffer works weird.

re: changing difficulty on NG+

Just make an online/lan game and change the difficulty there. But it looks like you always have to do that, or else if you do SP offline, it'll default to what you originally started with on that character.

Got lucky and found two more pieces of the Feral set. Did find some nice embermage armor, hexenjaeger? 444HP, +20% bonus wand/staff damage.

WTf really? thats so stupid you can't change it in sp lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Flame Hammer hits multiple times on larger enemies, though I suppose it doesn't actually need the Charges for that. Ember Hammer gains bonus damage from Charges and doesn't deplete them, though I don't like how the skill itself works.

I'd love it forever.

Though, in regard to the damage, 9.5 (10?) times the STR isn't bad. ~900-ish base damage is probably pretty good. Maybe? I don't really know what kind of base damage to expect from scaling skills at Levels 70-100.

I've got one point of Ember Hammer for the shield breaking ability, but don't really see the point of it otherwise. Maybe maxed out and with Fire and Spark it might be good...I'm just not sure. My shield bash should hopefully be a better way to spend mana.

Maxed Tremor and Coup de Grace is a pretty good combo too. And Tremor doesn't need a charge for its effects, just the damage which is not the main point of the skill.

Most bosses should spawn enough trash mobs for Coup de Grace to work on. Or am I wrong that it's not an AOE skill?

Coup de Grace can only hit one enemy ever second.

How it works is that if an enemy is stunned, and you hit them with weapon damage (whether that be a weapon attack, or a skill like Overload), one enemy will take a Coup de Grace proc for a lot of damage. Problem is, bosses don't get stunned.

As for Tremor. I didn't take it for 1 reason: the 5/15 adds a chance for enemies to flee. That seems like it would be really annoying. Shield Bash already breaks up enemies for me, so making them flee will just make it take longer for me to kill packs. It would be incredibly useful if the 15/15 bonus (2 second stun) stunned bosses though.

I am also highly considering Ember Reach. Anyone take this skill? It wouldn't stun bosses, but I'm curious as to how much the "+x% Physical Damage taken" debuff on enemies would reach at 15/15. Could be incredibly useful for bosses.

Sarcasm

I have 50 stat points and 12 skills (13 since I can unlearn first one) on my engineer..dunno what to do with him. Currently my playstyle is bash brains in with a 2H and use a lot of potions lol. I play with at least one person who is an outlander on Elite. =/

I have so much money is there anything amazing you can get with it?

Money is so damn valuable in this game it's ridiculous. I am always out. Gambling and enchanting, as others said. I have to skip wilderness enchanters to raise money before I can use them.

If you don't have these characters yet, keep playing, you will be out of money soon enough!

scy

Single-target and it can't proc more than once per second. So it only activates on trash enemies but then it's limited to single-target damage. It's rather limited in scope. I'm just holding out on maybe trash enemies on Elite in the end-game will warrant having it still.

Plus, I think you can stun some Unique enemies still, just not bosses.

I've got one point of Ember Hammer for the shield breaking ability, but don't really see the point of it otherwise. Maybe maxed out and with Fire and Spark it might be good...I'm just not sure. My shield bash should hopefully be a better way to spend mana.

Well, Ember Hammer has really good damage (off-hand, should be the highest WeaponDPS scaling) and then it gets +75% Damage when maxed out and with full Charge.

I am also highly considering Ember Reach. Anyone take this skill? It wouldn't stun bosses, but I'm curious as to how much the "+x% Physical Damage taken" debuff on enemies would reach at 15/15. Could be incredibly useful for bosses.

I was thinking of Storm Burst myself. Just to have a cool way to charge in or out of fights. Plus, damage reduction and mana recovery is always nice to have.

WTf really? thats so stupid you can't change it in sp lol

Kind of annoying really. Im hoping they patch it in or someone mods it as I made an engi I thought was on vet, joined an online game and finishe dthe act before I realized I was on normal :(

Still have my berzerker vet though and yeah a skill reset potion would be nice..dont really want to use the console.

spiritfox

Single-target and it can't proc more than once per second. So it only activates on trash enemies but then it's limited to single-target damage. It's rather limited in scope. I'm just holding out on maybe trash enemies on Elite in the end-game will warrant having it still.

Well, Ember Hammer has really good damage (off-hand, should be the highest WeaponDPS scaling) and then it gets +75% Damage when maxed out and with full Charge.

I was thinking of Storm Burst myself. Just to have a cool way to charge in or out of fights. Plus, damage reduction and mana recovery is always nice to have.

Ah. Coup de Grace sucks then.

Finishing off adds (which bosses ALWAYS HAVE) is faster with Coup de Grace. Finishing them off = more chances for Charge thingy to proc giving you full Charge meter. I think that's worth it.

Not sure if it's worth putting all that points into it though. There are much more useful skills to get as an Engineer.

Ashodin

Finishing off adds (which bosses ALWAYS HAVE) is faster with Coup de Grace. Finishing them off = more chances for Charge thingy to proc giving you full Charge meter. I think that's worth it.

Fugu

Hello everyone!

Thanks!
Number one all time most important question I could come up with: Why open multiplayer as opposed to server side character storage or a system like Diablo 2's that allowed both? Surely the team is aware of how badly ravaged Diablo's multiplayer was due to cheating, and for many multiplayer centered players like myself, this will likely severely limit the replayability of the game. I think I know the answer but I'd still like to hear it.

Other questions I have:
How play balanced are the individual difficulties? This is specifically in reference to the infinitely respawning adds that accompany every boss.
What was the rationale behind essentially replacing missing with fumbled attacks?
Is Schaefer's name on any hammers in this game?
What's the story behind "ostentatious crustacean"?

scy

Ah. Coup de Grace sucks then.

I think the worst part of it is that my build has 30 points devoted for it (Seismic Slam, Coup de Grace). I still like it in theory but I think I'll just end up with it at, say, 5/15 instead of maxed. Put some points elsewhere instead. We'll see I guess.

It helps. Does it matter enough to take it to 15? Maybe? Honestly, I wish it had a longer delay between activations but was per-target rather than global. But, then again, it'd probably be too good at area clearing then.

TxdoHawk

Just hit Act 2 late last night. So, so good.

I haven't found a lot of Embermage abilities I genuinely like so far (just hit 19) but the very first fire ability + Fire Brand + some Charge Mastery is lethal already. I also took Thunder Locus, which is great fire-and-forget damage to throw down near a group of mobs, and I assume will only get even better at tiers 2/3 when it can zap multiple targets.

The other thing I really like: Even this early on in Veteran, I'm already making decisions about what resistances I want. Those extra 40-60 points in Ice Armor I intentionally pumped into my character through item choice saved my ass several times late in Act 1...there were more than a few instances where I was unable to maneuver well and ate something nasty like a couple of ice tornadoes, but barely survived and thought "if I hadn't took that ice armor, I'd have been a corpse."

All that in mind, I'm going to echo the masses and say that anyone remotely familiar with these games should play on Veteran. I'm not usually that dude, but based on my time with the beta + full game, I'd imagine Normal will be a sleepwalk for most.

Just hit Act 2 late last night. So, so good.

I haven't found a lot of Embermage abilities I genuinely like so far (just hit 19) but the very first fire ability + Fire Brand + some Charge Mastery is lethal already. I also took Thunder Locus, which is great fire-and-forget damage to throw down near a group of mobs, and I assume will only get even better at tiers 2/3 when it can zap multiple targets.

The other thing I really like: Even this early on in Veteran, I'm already making decisions about what resistances I want. Those extra 40-60 points in Ice Armor I intentionally pumped into my character through item choice saved my ass several times late in Act 1...there were more than a few instances where I was unable to maneuver well and ate something nasty like a couple of ice tornadoes, but barely survived and thought "if I hadn't took that ice armor, I'd have been a corpse."

All that in mind, I'm going to echo the masses and say that anyone remotely familiar with these games should play on Veteran. I'm not usually that dude, but based on my time with the beta + full game, I'd imagine Normal will be a sleepwalk for most.
I'd go elite if you know the game ;P

How play balanced are the individual difficulties? This is specifically in reference to the infinitely respawning adds that accompany every boss.

I'm actually really glad for the extra monsters with every boss. It seems like most classes can take advantage of them, exploding their corpse to produce some result. A summon-focused outlander would be totally screwed without little mobs to spawn more bats. It makes blindness/fear/stun/debuff focused characters viable by letting you shut them out so you can focus on the boss. Berserker's Rupture explosion, or Rampage, or Battle Rage that gives buffs for number of nearby enemies (same as equipment providing these effects too).

I know that doesn't mean it's effective in practice, but I'm glad they made the decision all the same. Looking over my outlander's skill list initially I was worried about his viability on bosses, but they made an attempt to have mob-killing/distracting a good part of boss fights as well.

Top Bottom