• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Is there any trick to finding spells? After 5 hours all I've found is some mostly useless one that can sometimes destroy shields within 5m or something. I remember finding a lot more in the first game, at the very least I want a healing one.

Spells are rarer this time around. They seem to be a little more common in NG+, but I could be getting luckier now that my magic find is currently +35. The healing ones I've come across were worse than my health pots anyway. I personally threw three relevant passives and a Haste spell on my guy, and I stuck summoning spells on my pet.

Also, if you find useless spells, don't sell them. You can go to the Transmuter (first appears in Act 2) and combine two spells to get a random new one.

pix

Anyone have any good thoughts on Embermage build for Hardcore Elite. I am going Wand/Shield obviously for survival and putting 2 Focus/3 Vit each level and vice versa. Never played Embermage so I am taking it slow.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I totally read that as "Indian Focus", and was very confused.

Ahhhhh I got my first legendary!

0SiwB.png

Haven't beaten the game yet, it was on the doorstep of the final boss (I think). The item on the ground was flashing and said "A truly spectacular find!" :D

Too bad I'm an outlander.

Neki

Is Rumble (spell on the scroll) a passive or an active? I kinda want to give it to myself because my pet is stressing for spots, but if it's active then it needs to go on my pet.

Also: what does Felicia do in the last area?

Well, to start, since you said yourself that you didn't have much experience with Diablo (2), what you should know is that Diablo 2 has both an open and a closed multiplayer option: the open mode lets you use your single-player character online and (technically) allows you to host a modded game, so you can play mods in multiplayer and be exposed to literally anything that's possible within the game's engine; the closed portion stores your character online and requires you to reference your game with the official patch version at all times, so you can only play the unmodified, regulated version of the game. Torchlight 2 is only offering the "open" option; Diablo 3 only offers the "closed" option. Diablo 2's closed option had at least a hundred times the amount of players that the open option did, and that ratio got even wider as the game got older.

The fundamental thing that makes the closed option more compelling than the open option for long-term multiplayer is that allowing players to do whatever they want with their characters instantly and permanently devalues anything legitimate you do with your character. In that sense, for a multiplayer-oriented person like myself, there's not really much incentive to build an amazing character and set so-called "perfect" item goals when I know that the game actually gives players the tools to create this character without ever really playing the game. It's not quite a simple as all that, however. What's more important is that it means that there are any number of other like-minded players that are thinking to themselves that there's no use in valuing anything found in the game because mod tools make it pointless to "compete" (not in the esports kind of way but in the "I'm useful in a co-op game" kind of way) while playing legitimately. As a result, the powerful trade economy that fueled Diablo 2 and kept people playing it a decade after its release (visit a website called d2jsp) will never form; the open nature gives everything, whether it is found legitimately or not, a value of 0 in the macro economy. This is irrelevant to people who will only play single-player or with their friends but it makes players like myself who played Diablo 2 well past its intended life span almost entirely on the basis of accumulating wealth and powerful characters -- of which there are many -- stuck. Yes, mods are nice (I've played a lot of Diablo 2 mods), but they don't have the same long-term appeal.

Thank you for taking the time to iterate your position more clearly. I don't necessarily agree with your point of view, I fall under your category of someone who will either only play with friends or play offline, but I think understand it better now.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
According to a thread on the Runic Games forums, there are 33 Fame levels. Not 50. So if you were planning your build with a 150 skill points, you may need to rethink it.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Is Rumble (spell on the scroll) a passive or an active? I kinda want to give it to myself because my pet is stressing for spots, but if it's active then it needs to go on my pet.

Also: what does Felicia do in the last area?

1) I think it's an active, but I'm not 100% sure.

2) Once you beat the final boss, she lets you start a new game plus. Make sure to talk to the guy next to her to open up the Mapworks first. It will remain accessible from any town portal in a NG+.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
What are the benefits of a new game plus? D:

You keep everything and get to run through the game again. Except this time, the world starts at level 51. Apparently the game can go all the way to NG++++, where every enemy will be Level 120. The level cap for characters is 100, so I expect that to be a serious challenge.

So I guess the ultimate test of skill is beating NG++++ on Hardcore Elite.

Neki

You keep everything and get to run through the game again. Except this time, the world starts at level 51. Apparently, the game can go all the way to NG++++, where every enemy will be Level 120.

Sounds okay though, but it'd seem easier to get equipment by just grinding bosses at the end of the game, so not sure I'd want to do that.

You keep everything and get to run through the game again. Except this time, the world starts at level 51. Apparently the game can go all the way to NG++++, where every enemy will be Level 120. The level cap for characters is 100, so I expect that to be a serious challenge.

So I guess the ultimate test of skill is beating NG++++ on Hardcore Elite.

wouldn't you have to at least finish the first game? lol. need a stream of someone doing a marathon on a weekend.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Sounds okay though, but it'd seem easier to get equipment by just grinding bosses at the end of the game, so not sure I'd want to do that.

You'll level faster with tougher enemies. Being a higher level = better gear.

There's also the Mapworks, where you can buy random maps. They mention the level range and various conditions beforehand, so you could just use those to level.

wouldn't you have to at least finish the first game? lol. need a stream of someone doing a marathon on a weekend.

Someone probably cheated to find that out. Or blitzed through the game on Casual. Except for maybe the developers or someone with an early copy, I doubt anyone has legitimately gotten that far on Veteran or Elite yet.

VandalD

New Game+ will also apparently adapt to what level you are, if, say, you use the Mapworks a lot after your first playthrough and end up at level 80 or something. That way you won't begin New Game+ with level 50 enemies. Can't confirm this myself, but I remember a Runic dev saying so.
Thanks for putting the video up. Your play style and spec confirmed that I was building my Embermage in the right direction.
Excellent! Glad to help someone out.

Fugu

According to a thread on the Runic Games forums, there are 33 Fame levels. Not 50. So if you were planning your build with a 150 skill points, you may need to rethink it.
I was wondering what the hell I was going to do with 150 skill points.

Rumble is an active spell, 0 mana and 10 second cd, so put it on your pet. :p
Rumble is hilarious. Every once in awhile my pet would just decide to fuck all of the breakable objects within a five mile radious. I took it off of him, though; it's useless.

I didn't have any work due on Monday so I set aside a lot of time Sunday night to fully dive into this game. Man did I get absorbed into it. It's so much more addicting, open, and fun than the first game. The faster movement speed just makes everything flow better resulting in easier navigation of the huge areas. I'm one to search every nook and cranny of an area in ARPGs so that little change means a lot for me. I've been having some issues with Borderlands 2 recently despite still having fun with it; however, Torchlight 2 has been satisfying me in all of the areas where BL2 hasn't been and more.

I haven't played too many Diablo Clones and ARPGs to completion, but I do feel that I have dabbled in a lot of them. Torchlight 2 just might become my favorite by the end considering how much I am loving it right now. I need to actually get around to finishing Diablo 2 sometime though.

alazz

Cannongineer is so good. Anyone else going that route instead of melee?

I swap between 1-hand and shield and a cannon. I actually love the stopping power of the thing, but I'm not specced and skilled to really use one now. Overall I don't find the combat as enjoyable as soaking and poking but it is a great swap-off for when going headfirst is risky.

Sarcasm

Jeebus this game is brutal on elite. Than again I haven't spent a single skill point. I spent stats to use some unique 2h weapon (43 str and like 24 dex)..pretty bailin.

vanty

I put up a video of me playing a random map on my Embermage. It shows the MapWorks, an act 3 area, and a few act 3 monsters. If you're curious about how a typical Embermage might play at higher levels, or think you're doing Embermage wrong, maybe the video will help.
I only watched the first few minutes, but I was wondering why you have the bolts as both left and right click? And you don't use your wand at all? I (level 19) do use the bolts more than anything, but I still use the wand when I don't need to use mana or I'm low on mana and waiting for charge to activate. I just put a point into the ice transporting thing, which has already proven very useful in the 15 minutes I've played since.

And is wand + shield generally much better than using a staff? I found a good staff that I was using for a while but the blacksmith had a wand that did an extra 30 DPS and boosted my magic a bit so I switched to that.

Chris_C

Pretty irritating, I'm trying to learn more about the game on the developer's official website and it keeps redirecting me to the download link. Not smart.

Neki

I only watched the first few minutes, but I was wondering why you have the bolts as both left and right click? And you don't use your wand at all? I (level 19) do use the bolts more than anything, but I still use the wand when I don't need to use mana or I'm low on mana and waiting for charge to activate. I just put a point into the ice transporting thing, which has already proven very useful in the 15 minutes I've played since.

And is wand + shield generally much better than using a staff? I found a good staff that I was using for a while but the blacksmith had a wand that did an extra 30 DPS and boosted my magic a bit so I switched to that.

For me at least, my mana regen + charge rate is so high, I rarely ever have down time, I'm either full mana or clearcasting, so wand dps doesn't even really matter anymore. I should probably start using a staff now.

Fugu

As far as I can tell, gargoyles exist solely to irritate outlanders. The best way that I can come up with to deal with them is to build up dodge and be prepared to evade your own projectiles.

Blizzard

Banned
As far as I can tell, gargoyles exist solely to irritate outlanders. The best way that I can come up with to deal with them is to build up dodge and be prepared to evade your own projectiles.
Or carry a nice sword or hammer for emergencies (or does that not work). :p

Chris_C

Try the demo!

Does the demo upgrade to the full game without an additional download?

EDIT: It does. I bought the game on a whim. Have to say I don't think it's a good idea to route folks to that page from the game page. A landing page would have been a better idea.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

Wand + Shield if you want more survivability.
Staff if you want more damage (provided you're using a spell that uses your weapon dps).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Damn, double concerning news. Only 133 points and video of those high levels of play. I definitely need to rethink my strategies with all classes and probably not max anything but just get to tier 3 on the important things.

Pretty irritating, I'm trying to learn more about the game on the developer's official website and it keeps redirecting me to the download link. Not smart.

Yea, they changed that when their servers was getting hammered to allow people to DL the demo/ game another way. That said, you can find out everything you want to know on the Runic Official Forums. The Devs are on their pretty frequently and talk to us regularly.
http://forums.runicgames.com/

VandalD

I have Bolts for both because I'd rather accidentally use Bolts than accidentally wand. Wanding does far less damage than the Bolts do, so I might actually kill something if I accidentally click it. Thing is, I haven't been getting low on mana. I'd have even less problems with mana if I just stuck to tier 2 skills and didn't go a few points beyond, but as it is, things die, and I don't burn through mana very easily.

I like wand + shield because I like having block. Seeing BLOCKED has saved my ass so many times. I would hope using a staff gives more DPS, but I can't confirm that myself. I'm sticking to shields. As you can see in the video, things die quickly enough.

Neki

How good is your shield? I've been dual wielding wands for better stats, but if a shield could prevent some deaths, might switch over

VandalD

How good is your shield? I've been dual wielding wands for better stats, but if a shield could prevent some deaths, might switch over
It only has a 9% chance to block, but that's before the added block from pumping Vitality a bit. Think it's about 23% chance to block all together. So it's not the best, but 23% chance I don't get hit is pretty sweet when I die in about 4 hits maximum. It's worth a shot. It's saved me many times even with the shield not being so great.

vanty

For me at least, my mana regen + charge rate is so high, I rarely ever have down time, I'm either full mana or clearcasting, so wand dps doesn't even really matter anymore. I should probably start using a staff now.
I was just thinking that if you're rarely ever using your weapon to attack, just choosing a wand that boosts other stats and allows you to also have a shield to boost defence is better than a two-handed staff that you can't use a shield with.

Top Bottom