• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Recall

I've been running into a interesting issue. I generally play Torchlight 2 with Steam in offline mode due to rarely having an inernet connection while at work but once I come home and put Steam into online mode and play the game all my maps are back to not being explored and dungeons repopulated.

I suppose its making for a fun way to grind/farm but losing map exploration progress is a bit of a turn off as a like to complete the map before going into the dungeons and the maps are large in Act 2/3 so I feel I'm not really progressing :/

Edit: Ahh it seems its the whole Steam cloud save getting its knickers in a twist as it doesnt match my offline progress.

FtHTiny

I think the really telling thing here is that the $20 budget game from the little developer that could holds up to the $60 Activision tour de force, similar flaws and all. To me at least, it's a lot easier to forgive TL2 for not having the most amazing endgame on Earth due to the price (although I'm also of the opinion that D3, while being no D2, has $60 worth of enjoyable game content in it.)

Well the money thing doesn´t really com in for everyone. For many d3 players the budget didn´t really matter because the game actually made them money. So it´s 20 for tl2 and an income in money for d3 and both game are very similar in terms of fun and overall gameplay.

scy

Loot is a big one too. Torchlight 2 does give me way more oranges, but most of them are useless to me.

Pretty much. The loot in this game is fairly bland. They may have a lot of numbers or affixes on them but there's really nothing necessarily all that special about them. Low level loot is low level loot at the end of the day. Loot has been the least exciting part of the game so far.

That said, I haven't finished my first run of the game. I need to pick a class rather than splitting time between them all :/

However, the biggest thing I've noticed between the two is staying power. A good portion of my friends have already finished the game and quit, as there is no incentive past beating the game.

Which is probably the greatest "problem" with the game. A lot of what it does is interesting and it'd be nice for it to have that kind of longevity.

Forkball

My backpack is almost entirely full of socketable items. But most of my gear has no sockets. The loot gods have cursed me with too much loot!

Sarcasm

I am going to definitely play this more than I played D3. Won't play forever but I know that for sure going to have more staying power than D3 had with me.

Laserfrog

I've imparted all my knowledge of Torchlight II into a video.

http://youtu.be/vkWPeThctdA

If you want to have a look! Enjoying this game immensely, I didn't play Diablo III cause I thought it was too expensive. But this was sensibly priced, which is great because it's great.

I don't know if I agree with the comments about the longevity here...
So far I've played with 3 classes, getting them to about level ~ 15
The game feels different each time you play it, or so it seems, as the level randomization is well done. Each class plays substantially differently, and the loot drops at a good pace. Playing on Veteran is a perfect difficulty setting for this game. I imagine once the mods start rolling out there will even be more longevity.

One thing that drove me nuts in D3 is the lack of weapon animation for an equipped weapon (especially with monk). In D3 the game felt much more repetitive because it felt like there was nearly no randomization. Furthermore, there was no side quests, ie. it felt completely linear each time. Granted D3 was a polished and well crafted game. If it wasn't for that stupid auction house and online only play, it would have been my top choice for click RPG. I played maybe for 50 hours until I got sick of it (higher difficulties were just a pain instead of an enjoyment).

One question for you guys, in TL2, perhaps I haven't noticed this, but do the side-quests also get randomized (ie. there is a chance of getting a different side quest on different play through).
cheers

So far I've played with 3 classes, getting them to about level ~ 15
The game feels different each time you play it, or so it seems, as the level randomization is well done. Each class plays substantially differently, and the loot drops at a good pace. Playing on Veteran is a perfect difficulty setting for this game. I imagine once the mods start rolling out there will even be more longevity.

One thing that drove me nuts in D3 is the lack of weapon animation for an equipped weapon (especially with monk). In D3 the game felt much more repetitive because it felt like there was nearly no randomization. Furthermore, there was no side quests, ie. it felt completely linear each time. Granted D3 was a polished and well crafted game. If it wasn't for that stupid auction house and online only play, it would have been my top choice for click RPG. I played maybe for 50 hours until I got sick of it (higher difficulties were just a pain instead of an enjoyment).

One question for you guys, in TL2, perhaps I haven't noticed this, but do the side-quests also get randomized (ie. there is a chance of getting a different side quest on different play through).
cheers

side quest yes. someone mentioned here say they didn't get the one eyed willy one while others did. i also did a puzzle quest with another group in act 1 which didn't show up in my game with another friend.

scy

Multiple classes, multiple playthroughs, etc. etc. are pretty small in the scope of longevity I think most of us are talking about. We're thinking in terms of years :x

cheers

From my ~8 characters through Act 1, no. They're all present, just in different locations.

side quest yes. someone mentioned here say they didn't get the one eyed willy one while others did. i also did a puzzle quest with another group in act 1 which didn't show up in my game with another friend.

One-Eyed Willy's dungeon is always there, it's just not visible unless you actually go and start the quest (which is also not visible until you trigger it).

Stupid question. Does D3 have mod support? I thought that Relic said we'd get a ton of mod support, from both the community and them (which will be for free).

Ploid 3.0

Stupid question. Does D3 have mod support? I thought that Relic said we'd get a ton of mod support, from both the community and them (which will be for free).

D3 is pretty much a MMO, everything is server side, you try to edit files and you'll be banned or it won't work (most likely).

TxdoHawk

Personally, I'm glad both games exist. If closed, cheat-free multiplayer and knowing that anything you see on a character in game was earned are priorities, D3 is right there. If you want a moddable, hackable, fun-filled romp, TL2 is there. On top of that, both devs seem keen on post-release support for the game. It's a great time for loot, IMO, even if neither game will ever pierce the legacy of D2. There's really no need to turn it all into a turf war a la consoles.

It's weird how Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 share similar problems as you progress. Both have very intriguing scenarios near the beginning, with a somewhat workable story. Then as you progress, game mechanics just start falling apart.

Secret rooms were super cool in Act 1, but basically disappeared after that, while Diablo 3 had cool environmental hazards to use on enemies that just ceased to exist past Act 1. Act 2 is the extremely long desert act for both games. Act 3 introduces some of the most annoying mobs in the game, for the case of Torchlight, leaping and phase wolves / charging mobs, while Diablo 3 you have spear throwers and birds and tremors. Act 4 in both games basically turned into a large dungeon with no sense of exploration or atmosphere, just a straight jaunt from one point to the next, similar to a huge marathon. Fishing holes just disappear in Act 4, which is a damn shame. (Unless I never ran into any). The stories at this point also fell apart, I didn't even know what was going on in Torchlight 2 at the last boss, and in Diablo 3, it was just an anti-climatic boss.

Then you beat the game, and where are you left? In Torchlight, you have accessibility to maps and new game plus, while Diablo offers you a higher difficulty. It's basically the same shit, new game plus and Nightmare/Hell/Inferno, me running through the same story and map, just with harder monsters. The maps are refreshing I admit, but in the end, I'm just playing to get more loot so I can eventually get stronger and get loot faster, which is what I did in Diablo 3, except that in Torchlight, an open system means that there is no real competition, no real incentive to go on. In Diablo 3, the loot was shit, but when you did get something nice, you could sell it, and it'd fund the rest of your new gear and you knew that you're making progression against other people who had to go through the same loot shithole that was Diablo 3.

Loot is a big one too. Torchlight 2 does give me way more oranges, but most of them are useless to me. Whether they be class specific, or just stat allocated wrong, I pick up a lot of more rares/uniques than I did in Diablo 3. But just because it's orange, doesn't mean it's better. People have complained that there wasn't enough legendaries (before the legendary patch), but it doesn't matter, if legendaries are dropping a lot, and they're shit/useless, then why do I care if more drop. In Diablo 3, I can sell them for a marginal benefit. In TL2, I'm stuck either transmuting them, or vendoring them because they don't serve much purpose. I'm level 55, and my average iLevel is probably close to 40, I'm still sitting on items from level 20-30 because I haven't been able to replace them yet, which is a criticism I hear often for Diablo 3, that you sit on items for long periods of time. It's really no different here, except without an AH, I can't solve the problem, I just have to hope a mob drops me something I can use.

Torchlight 2 does have an overall more rounded system though, I wish D3 would steal the pet concept and implement them into followers, the whole buy potions, sell junk thing is really nice. Enchanting isn't too bad either, same with gemming. Fishing is a nice diversion and enhances the pets, which is always a plus.

However, the biggest thing I've noticed between the two is staying power. A good portion of my friends have already finished the game and quit, as there is no incentive past beating the game. While in Diablo 3's case, people played the game (even though they "hated it") for countless hours because they wanted to reach that end difficulty of Inferno. I don't know why people are more motivated to aim for Inferno over New Game+++, but some are. As is, I played Diablo 3 for 250 hours, and I'm going to probably play Torchlight 2 for 50 hours. Is Torchlight 2 the better game? It might be, but it's certainly sad that Diablo 3 is going to hold my attention longer than Torchlight 2 ever will. Neither game in their current state will ever reach the staying power of Diablo 2 back in it's hey day, but I think that's more an issue of the time Diablo 2 was released, and the increased variety of games and entertainment available to people now.

That doesn't take anything away from Torchlight 2 though, it's a fantastic game and I'm glad I played it, but it certainly wasn't the end all game that people were hyping it up to be. It's more fun than Borderlands 2 at least.

Wait for Path of Exile.

Csokis

Use RESPECPOTION command, and get a Potion of Respec! :)

rescdl2t.jpg

scy

how do you use commands?

Enable the console (it's just changing a value in an ini file in the My Games/Runic Games/Torchlight 2/Saves folder); default key to bring up the console is Insert, I believe. Do note that using it does flag that character as having used the console.

I believe you can circumvent it by using the respecpotion command on a second character and transferring them via the Shared Stash. For those that care.

I'd like to see mods that actually play with the idea of different takes on respecing, instead of simply giving easy access to respecing at any time with no impact. I can't wait to see what comes out of the community once the tools are made available.

Why not just use resetskills if you're using the console anyway?

I read that this can actually take away your skill points and leave you with 0, and you'd have to use another command to grant the correct number again.

By the way, does anyone know what happens if you don't meet item requirements anymore while you have an item equipped? Take off a hat that grants +10 strength and you can't use your weapon?

EDIT: And just to let everyone know, if you ever can't find an item you know you should have, for any reason, check your pet's inventory. I equipped a 2H weapon while dual wielding with a full inventory and was suddenly scared that I'd lost my second weapon, but my pet had it! They may also occasionally have items that you accidentally told them to pick up in the course of clicking around.

daxy

I read that this can actually take away your skill points and leave you with 0, and you'd have to use another command to grant the correct number again.

By the way, does anyone know what happens if you don't meet item requirements anymore while you have an item equipped? Take off a hat that grants +10 strength and you can't use your weapon?

EDIT: And just to let everyone know, if you ever can't find an item you know you should have, for any reason, check your pet's inventory. I equipped a 2H weapon while dual wielding with a full inventory and was suddenly scared that I'd lost my second weapon, but my pet had it! They may also occasionally have items that you accidentally told them to pick up in the course of clicking around.

Your weapon goes back into your inventory in that situation.

I believe you only lose all points if you do resetstats. That's what happened to me anyway. And you only lose the points, not your actual progression.
I've used resetskills a few times and I've always kept my skillpoint pool.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'd like to see mods that actually play with the idea of different takes on respecing, instead of simply giving easy access to respecing at any time with no impact. I can't wait to see what comes out of the community once the tools are made available.

Btw, was there any mention when that might be happening?

zulux21

if you remove stuff and no longer meet requirements for gear it's just auto unequiped.
as for your edit you are hitting Shift while left clicking as that makes your pet pick it up instead of you :p (or in your item menu shift plus left click will move it over to your pet)

if you remove stuff and no longer meet requirements for gear it's just auto unequiped.
as for your edit you are hitting Shift while left clicking as that makes your pet pick it up instead of you :p (or in your item menu shift plus left click will move it over to your pet)

Ok.

And yeah, I hold shift a lot as an outlander. :)

Also, did everyone see this? Runic Games' mascot Falcor, who they put in the game:

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Damn this, I still can't get the game to load my character, even though she's right there in my Save folder. I guess the saves got corrupted somehow.

It's a testament to how much I enjoy this game, that I'm actually okay with starting over, and fortunately the Shared Stash was unaffected by this glitch, as that would've been a great loss.

I believe you can circumvent it by using the respecpotion command on a second character and transferring them via the Shared Stash. For those that care.

Clever, clever.

Well the money thing doesn´t really com in for everyone. For many d3 players the budget didn´t really matter because the game actually made them money. So it´s 20 for tl2 and an income in money for d3 and both game are very similar in terms of fun and overall gameplay.

I think you should use the term a few in place of many who made money off of D3. The only people I know that actually did are about 15 of the most hardcore people here on NeoGaf. I never did and none of my IRL friends have (who make up pretty much my entire Real ID list).

I'm not jumping into the D3 vs TL2 argument (I don't really care which is better; I like them both in their own way) but, I do think that saying the cost doesn't matter in $20 vs $60 because most people make that $40 back in D3 is extremely misleading.

scy

I just really want to be able to reset stats eventually. This way I can actually playtest STR v DEX v Focus for damage output for certain builds (e.g., my Berserker has a lot of Magic damage in the build so how much Focus makes sense vs STR?).

Also, did everyone see this? Runic Games' mascot Falcor, who they put in the game:

I really wish I went this route for my Berserker. For the novelty of it all.

zulux21

I'm not jumping into the D3 vs TL2 argument (I don't really care which is better; I like them both in their own way) but, I do think that saying the cost doesn't matter in $20 vs $60 because most people make that $40 back in D3 is extremely misleading.

it really is, especially when you take into account you have to get up to act 1 inferno before you have a chance of making that money back (15 hours min even if you know what you are doing and have exp boost gear) and then from there get lucky. Plus right now the market in D3 is crashing hard. You will likely need to invest at least 150 hours, or get extremely lucky to make back $40 at this point. I run act 3 with a friend with base 200MF and rarely ever find anything that will sell for more than 25-50k gold anymore, and gold has dropped down to being only worth 71 cents per mil right now. In the long run I expect D3 to be fine though... I fully expect them to continue to just test stuff and then when they up the level cap hopefully get a more stable economy going.

Anyways, For $20 the value for TL2 is great. For me it feels like an updated Diablo 2, and I can't wait to see what modders can do with it. I am hoping the tools come out before the end of Oct as that would lead to hopefully some good mods over christmas.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Okay what the fuck now my shared stash just disappeared! All I did was start a third character, and when I got to the Enclave, POOF. Checked it on all of my characters, and suddenly there's nothing.

Holy shit.

Okay what the fuck now my shared stash just disappeared! All I did was start a third character, and when I got to the Enclave, POOF. Checked it on all of my characters, and suddenly there's nothing.

Holy shit.

Make sure you're in the weapon tab. A few times I've freaked out but for some reason it was on the potion tab.

MechaX

I decided to try out the demo pretty randomly... I have played many RPGs in my time, but I never really gave a fair shake to the D&D-esque keyboard-and-mouse type of PC RPG (I mean, I tried Baldur's Gate 1 and couldn't really get into it). But this... was unexpectedly pretty fun. So I guess I have two questions:

1) In the demo, I played as the mage build. Would one say that there is a class that is just more fun to use overall or are the classes pretty balanced for the most part?

2) Assuming I were to buy this game, what other games in the same vein could I also check out, old and new, in order to get my "fix" of this style?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wait for Path of Exile.

Having played a considerable amount of PoE myself, I seriously do not understand why people love the game so much. Torchlight 2 is a considerably better game imo, and Diablo 3 has far more enjoyable combat.

Maybe it's just me. I found PoE to be merely okay.

I decided to try out the demo pretty randomly... I have played many RPGs in my time, but I never really gave a fair shake to the D&D-esque keyboard-and-mouse type of PC RPG (I mean, I tried Baldur's Gate 1 and couldn't really get into it). But this... was unexpectedly pretty fun. So I guess I have two questions:

1) In the demo, I played as the mage build. Would one say that there is a class that is just more fun to use overall or are the classes pretty balanced for the most part?

They're all pretty broken later on. The passives and abilities you get make you insanely powerful as you get later in the game. I personally really love the berserker, but it fits my playstyle for loot games pretty damn well in general.

The reason you like the game might be because it's not really a PC RPG in the traditional sense. It's nothing like the D&D PC RPGs one would usually associate with the WRPG genre. Diablo and games like it are a whole other subgenre on their own. The subgenre is more about the action oriented combat and the loot. Light on grand sweeping narrative, heavy on ass kicking.

2) Assuming I were to buy this game, what other games in the same vein could I also check out, old and new, in order to get my "fix" of this style?

- Diablo
- Diablo 2
- Diablo 3
- Titan Quest
- Nox
- Path of Exile

zulux21

What class is fun is solely up to the player. In general I find ranged characters fun, but for TL2 I am actually playing an Engineer (close range) because I am finding that fun. The classes all seem decently built, but they don't seem well balanced, but that's ok as it's not like you are in direct competition with anyone. If once class kills things better than your class it doesn't matter as long as you have fun with your class.

Diablo 2 is usually the go to choice for getting your fix of this style of game, but it's so old at this point that it will turn a lot of current gamers off. I can think of others that are like TL2 but most aren't worth mentioning. My big hope is that with steamworkshop support TL2 will get a thriving modding community and really be all that you would ever need for this genre for a long long time. The other obvious choices to try out would be Diablo 3 and Path of exile (something like that). Diablo 3 does some things better, and some things worse and costs 3 times as much... but there is a demo that lets you play though half of act 1. Path is a free to play game so you can check them both out with out spending any money and find out if you would like them. My biggest gripe with D3 would be that the hunt for loot beyond the first 15-20 levels isn't all that fun with D3 which is a big negative for a game like this. I haven't played Path

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Diablo 2 is usually the go to choice for getting your fix of this style of game, but it's so old at this point that it will turn a lot of current gamers off. I can think of others that are like TL2 but most aren't worth mentioning. My big hope is that with steamworkshop support TL2 will get a thriving modding community and really be all that you would ever need for this genre for a long long time. The other obvious choices to try out would be Diablo 3 and Path of exile (something like that). Diablo 3 does some things better, and some things worse and costs 3 times as much... but there is a demo that lets you play though half of act 1. Path is a free to play game so you can check them both out with out spending any money and find out if you would like them. My biggest gripe with D3 would be that the hunt for loot beyond the first 15-20 levels isn't all that fun with D3 which is a big negative for a game like this. I haven't played Path

That's really what killed the longevity of D3 for me. That said, I put 300 hours into the game, but it was the combat that kept me going for that long, rather than the loot.

Man, do I ever love the combat in D3.

I think the overall tone is this game is much different from a D&D, and the fact that this game is centered more on the Loot and exploration helps keep it moving. It's fast paced enjoyable, breezy fun :)

..or maybe your more willing to give this sub-genre a chance now ;)

zulux21

That's really what killed the longevity of D3 for me. That said, I put 300 hours into the game, but it was the combat that kept me going for that long, rather than the loot.

Man, do I ever love the combat in D3.

the management of D3 in general I haven't been happy with. I personally didn't get into the game early enough to buy up attack speed items... but I can't imagine how mad people were if they spent $1000 on attack speed items to be bad ass to only have them nerf it. Sure it was a lose lose for them at that point but they should have went "I wonder what happens if we try to max out any of the stats with gear that we can get" before the game even launched. Beyond that the person in charge of what gets buffed and nerfed plays a barb, and it's obvious that he favors a barb heavily when balancing the game which isn't good for a game that is ultimately going to become competitive once PVP hits.

I keep bringing up how excited I am for the mods with TL2, but that is a lot to do with D3 as well. If TL2 gets mismanaged in my eyes like D3 did I am sure someone will create a mod that will change it to mostly what I want. AKA I really love the idea of how my game plays to be in my hands through mods instead of hoping the people in charge want to go in a direction that I want to play. Plus if the people in charge of TL2 do silly things and basically destroy the base game, the modders will fix it (I don't see it happening runic seems to be listening quite well).

That all being said I will still be playing both games. One big thing D3 has over TL2 is that I can use it as a part time job... even if I only average making 50 cents per hour anymore it's still better than no income at all lol.

Torraz

Having played a considerable amount of PoE myself, I seriously do not understand why people love the game so much. Torchlight 2 is a considerably better game imo, and Diablo 3 has far more enjoyable combat.

Maybe it's just me. I found PoE to be merely okay.

They're all pretty broken later on. The passives and abilities you get make you insanely powerful as you get later in the game. I personally really love the berserker, but it fits my playstyle for loot games pretty damn well in general.

The reason you like the game might be because it's not really a PC RPG in the traditional sense. It's nothing like the D&D PC RPGs one would usually associate with the WRPG genre. Diablo and games like it are a whole other subgenre on their own. The subgenre is more about the action oriented combat and the loot. Light on grand sweeping narrative, heavy on ass kicking.

- Diablo
- Diablo 2
- Diablo 3
- Titan Quest
- Nox
- Path of Exile

Damn it. I just nostalgia'd so hard...

Top Bottom