• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah, if a max level forcefield could not withstand the hits, I have no clue how the other squishy classes could survive at all.

That is the only way to use it ;)

I run in and build charge and pop it once my health gets really low. The healbot will top me off and I can get back to 5 charge before it goes down.

I usually spam my attack flame thing, which always resets the charge counter. Works fine for most enemy groups on veteran (NG+ now) though. Only got issues with boss encounters, where your tactic might work better. Whats your main means of attack?

Ceebs

I usually spam my attack flame thing, which always resets the charge counter. Works fine for most enemy groups on veteran (NG+ now) though. Only got issues with boss encounters, where your tactic might work better. Whats your main means of attack?

Shield bash, Seismic Slam, and Standard Attack. It's not the most flashy play style for sure.

Once I finish catching up Bulwark to rest of my skills I am going to grab another charge using active skill for the trash mobs who do not require FF.

Does this have controller support? I know they released the first one for consoles, so I'm hoping they built controller support into the sequel...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well considering NG+ modes (especially since those are probably the best way to get high-level drops) I think I'll max out Blood Hunger, Shred Armor and Iceshield for my berserker.

spirity

I just tried my first map - modifier was 25% extra gold. Not too shabby, after selling the drops I must have made around 40-50k. I'll blow it all on the gambler now :/

bdouble

Ever since Mythos I crave the way that game felt with a great combo of loot action and clicking. TL has the feel but not quite the content.

So far as a 16 outlander this is more of the same great feeling. Its such a simple concept that they have nailed the genre once again.

The combat so far is fun. Playing on vet its been a slight challenge for bosses and champions but with pots ans kiting it fun.. Ive been pumping passives (range, elemental buff, and poison explode on kill). With a point in vault and glaive working to 5 points. The synergy between them is awesome and alreasy have ideas for different builds.

As for the loo its been ok. Have a few unique drops that i will use for alt. Where its shinning though is i already have choices in gear. The sheer amout of variables is great too. From skill points to stats and lets not forget the per. Mine is running around as a tank with extra armor and worka out real well.

Anyone wants to play some coop add me on steam. Down to level more or even start over.
Davedrizzle

finished for the first time with a 52 embermage on veteran. the last two bosses are a sick joke, though I guess they were trying to avoid making them massive damage sponges like the last boss in the first game. they did have a few interesting mechanics which was nice.

I was thinking about doing the map-room for a bit, but I had a look and it seemed a bit dull so I immediately NG+'d and rolled an engineer. think I'll probably play him for a while, it's a weirdly interesting class.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
finished for the first time with a 52 embermage on veteran. the last two bosses are a sick joke, though I guess they were trying to avoid making them massive damage sponges like the last boss in the first game. they did have a few interesting mechanics which was nice.

I was thinking about doing the map-room for a bit, but I had a look and it seemed a bit dull so I immediately NG+'d and rolled an engineer. think I'll probably play him for a while, it's a weirdly interesting class.

I actually liked the penultimate boss and thought he should have been the final boss. He was harder and much cooler than the real final boss.

Fighting the Dark Alchemist and dodging the fire shooting out of the ground at the same time was a little irritating though. Luckily, I already had practice doing that in a Phase Portal. I did have a good laugh when the Dark Alchemist started using the beam attack from the first game. Ember Lance is to TL1 as Prismatic Bolt is to TL2.

My current plan is to beat NG++++ with my Embermage. I'll do a map every now and then, but I want to see just how absurd the game can get.

I actually liked the penultimate boss and thought he should have been the final boss. He was harder and much cooler than the real final boss.

Fighting the Dark Alchemist and dodging the fire shooting out of the ground at the same time was a little irritating though. Luckily, I already had practice doing that in a Phase Portal. I did have a good laugh when the Dark Alchemist started using the beam attack from the first game. Ember Lance is to TL1 as Prismatic Bolt is to TL2.

My current plan is to beat NG++++ with my Embermage. I'll do a map every now and then, but I want to see just how absurd the game can get.

agreed on the penultimate boss, he was a lot more interesting. the last one also had a bit of a "huh? who is this guy?" thing going on which didn't help, but then again I stopped reading quest text somewhere in act 2 ;)

alazz

Is Shield Bash worth maxing? At r5 and it's my favorite way to down all enemies because it does high dps than my weapon and stuns. Does Shield Armor scale high enough to make the tier 3 multiplier worth it?

though I guess they were trying to avoid making them massive damage sponges like the last boss in the first game. they did have a few interesting mechanics which was nice.

He was such a damage sponge it took more than one whole max pyre to kill him. That game was so broken. I didn't know what I was getting into with the alchemist but I feel sorry for anyone that had to fight some of the bosses with melee characters.

I'm thinking of doing the same for my NG+ playthrough, going Engineer after having played an Embermage.

Btw, did you get anything good from the last two bosses?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

Most of the drops for me were irrelevant to an Embermage, but you get to turn in the quest. You then choose one of three great uniques. They were all class specific for me. 14 levels later and I'm still wearing that chest piece.

NIN90

Mage's Prismatic Bolt is so crazy. Coupled with the passive skills it is absolutey devastating.
Only problem is that I'm out of mana after a few seconds. :|

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Mage's Prismatic Bolt is so crazy. Coupled with the passive skills it is absolutey devastating.

Pump points into Charge Mastery and get your mana recovery up. You'll never have to worry about mana again.

Charge Mastery is your friend! Haha.

Prismatic Bolts are crazy for a starting spell, coupled with Lightning Brand it's crazy.

Ceebs

Both bosses were pretty easy. I just stood there and whacked them for a few minutes. The final boss you could shield bash into and get under him and avoid the blue fire 100%

Also wooo another legendary...oh wait, more outlander stuff.

torchlight22012-09-232gk0r.png

He was such a damage sponge it took more than one whole max pyre to kill him. That game was so broken. I didn't know what I was getting into with the alchemist but I feel sorry for anyone that had to fight some of the bosses with melee characters.

even with the supremely broken exploding shot I recall him being a real chore. I think I must have kited him in a circle for about 20 minutes.

I'm thinking of doing the same for my NG+ playthrough, going Engineer after having played an Embermage.

nothing good for me sadly, but I had a lot of goodies from a very lucky act 3. did grab the class chestpiece from the quest which was a tasty upgrade.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
If I wanted to mod some of the music, do I just need to replace the files in the game directory? This game needs some Xenoblade boss themes.

Ceebs

Is Shield Bash worth maxing? At r5 and it's my favorite way to down all enemies because it does high dps than my weapon and stuns. Does Shield Armor scale high enough to make the tier 3 multiplier worth it?.

My current shield has 103 base Physical armor, so that is about 1000 dmg without the charge boosts or enchants/gems and only the tier 2 bonus. Not sure if elemental armor counts as well.

Elixist

This game is teh awesome. Got my mage to 45 veteran solo. Been usin xpadder and ps3 controller for hotkeys for my left hand and mouse for right hand, comfy way to play.

Just wanna say enemy variety is really top notch, and some of the environments are really well done. An expansion pack would be awesome for spring time its too bad sounds like they are taking a break from Torchlight for awhile.

KingKong

Anyone know when steam workshop will open up?

I really need a mod to highlight new items in inventory, im picking up so much stuff

Love that Im already getting socketed and enchanted gear, 3 rare items and I even found a unique item (i dont know how rare that is, its a socketable) and Im only level 6

This game is teh awesome. Got my mage to 45 veteran solo. Been usin xpadder and ps3 controller for hotkeys for my left hand and mouse for right hand, comfy way to play.

Just wanna say enemy variety is really top notch, and some of the environments are really well done. An expansion pack would be awesome for spring time its too bad sounds like they are taking a break from Torchlight for awhile.

I thought so too. when I started act 1 killing raitlins I was a bit worried but they quickly gave way to a sea of far more interesting enemies. near the end of the game I was really enjoying the range of enemy types and champions.

alazz

even with the supremely broken exploding shot I recall him being a real chore. I think I must have kited him in a circle for about 20 minutes.

Whatever that skill was Pyre was broken-er. Not kidding when I say he's probably the only enemy in the game that takes more than one pyre. I think I took him down in 10 seconds. Were his attacks not so ridiculously powerful it'd have been less, but I needed to kite too.

My current shield has 103 base Physical armor, so that is about 1000 dmg without the charge boosts or enchants/gems and only the tier 2 bonus. Not sure if elemental armor counts as well.
Nice. I was thinking of stopping at tier 2. The thing I like about Shield Bash is that it deals all the damage instantaneously and has a chance to stun (bosses and champs can be stunned, but I've only been able to stun a boss once; fraction of the advertised chance).

I looooved this game. Such a shame it was overshadowed by Diablo 2.

Action RPGs need to resurrect Nox like multiplayer instead of just adding co-op.
This has been on my to-buy list for a long time. I love Westwood and I love ARPGs. I was going to get it a while back but I decided to get Divine Divinity instead, which is another great arpg.

Blizzard

Banned
Two quick questions.

1. Has anyone had their save file become corrupted where they lost a character (BESIDES the local vs cloud issue)?

2. If you repeatedly try to enchant an item, can the item be destroyed, or does it it just start failing the more enchants you get on it?

hittman

Banned
strong noob question here

but if i have a wand which does 150dps but attack speed is 0.5 seconds, is it more like 300dps, all else the same (i.e. chance to inflict 100% damage)

also, how do i decrease my penalty statistic? it's always in the minus

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The Salt Barrens is officially my least favorite overworld.

but if i have a wand which does 150dps but attack speed is 0.5 seconds, is it more like 300dps, all else the same (i.e. chance to inflict 100% damage)

The number listed for the DPS already takes in account for attack speed. But it doesn't factor in bonuses from your stats. If you want to see your weapon's true DPS, go to the statistics menu and click on your right (or left) hand weapon. The first or second number listed should be the true DPS.

"but if i have a wand which does 150dps but attack speed is 0.5 seconds, is it more like 300dps, all else the same (i.e. chance to inflict 100% damage)"

No, it's 150dps.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

also, how do i decrease my penalty statistic? it's always in the minus

No, it's 150 dps because of the 0.5 attack speed.

Two quick questions.

1. Has anyone had their save file become corrupted where they lost a character (BESIDES the local vs cloud issue)?

2. If you repeatedly try to enchant an item, can the item be destroyed, or does it it just start failing the more enchants you get on it?
I'm curious about this as well.

KingKong

Should I be focusing on certain skills or spreading them around?

Im an engineer and Ive been putting points into passives, that secondary smash you start with and the heal bot

Same question for points, ive been putting one in each category and the extra in strenght or vitality

Ceebs

Two quick questions.

I don't think so since there are limited enchantment slots on the items based on the enchanter you use.

Been playing on elite and having fun, not really getting great armor. Play normal with a friend for a few hours, found a bunch of uniques....what gives?

hittman

Banned
anyone know any good crowd controls for an embermage?

i always get pumped if i suddenly get rushed
maybe some aoe that stuns so i can run away

Sarcasm

On my outlander I was doing 2 STR 2 DEX 1 VIT..but I typically use 2h weapon. I prob go 3 D 1 STR and 1 VIT at some point.

Have the diminishing returns been figured out yet?

Izayoi

Banned
Oh god I have no idea what I'm doing. Started an Engineer on Elite and it is not working. Was trying to do two-hander+bots but it seems that the survivability just isn't good enough. Should I be putting points into strength and vitality equally? Or forgo the bot line and go two-hander+tank build?

Top Bottom