• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

scy

I was just playing with this a bit with a naked 100 engineer with the 100 legendary hammer and strength all the way. I actually can't tell you the answer to this one, I'm no scientist and the damage spread is always big enough to make me second guess what I'm seeing. Maybe focus would've been a better test?

Try it with a Greataxe. Should remove the damage variance on the WeaponDPS swing.

It looked like the small traveling flames were bouncing back immediately and hitting the dummy. Could that be throwing off any observations, or are they unable to hit the primary target again?

They can hit the same target again. It's what makes Flame Hammer better than Emberquake for point-blank damage. EQ just has the better range and homing on the splinters.

In any case I saw enough difference that I think I'll keep Fire and Spark in mind for my 2H guy, it's beneficial. Not sure if it's 15 points beneficial though.

My 2H Engineer uses Seismic Slam and Dynamo as well so figured they'll help make Fire and Spark worth it. Assuming the passive functions as listed and not with some weird stipulations :|

learn all 3 test them, then respec them out if you dont like how they work? :p

Doesn't really help for figuring out their long term viability :x

Fugu

Or WeaponDPS as Elemental Damage.

I have a question regarding this. I would find out the answer for myself but my video card has spontaneously combusted.

You describe "weapon DPS"; as far as I'm aware, the moves you're describing as "weapon DPS" pull from your enumerated DPS with that weapon (IE DPS + the character wielding it) and not the DPS of the weapon itself, meaning that both focus and strength boost your DPS skill damage provided that you are doing some amount of elemental damage. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Assuming I'm not wrong about my first assumption, does that mean that skills that do weapon damage as an element double dip on that element bonus? For example: A skill does 100% of your DPS as fire damage. Your DPS is 100, and it's all fire damage. You put on a ring that boosts your DPS in fire by 50%. Your DPS is now 150, all fire; does it get that 50% boost AGAIN when calcuating the skill damage, making the calculated skill damage 225?

VandalD

Any comments on the usefulness/viability of the three lvl 42 embermage skills?
Firestorm works just like Hailstorm, except what you see is what you get as far as the stats. The fire vulnerability on it is great. Astral Ally is nice for having another extra thing between you and enemies, but the cooldown far exceeds the summon length without a high point investment. Shocking Orb is kind of a slow moving Storm Locus. I didn't like it, but I was comparing it to Prismatic.

Torraz

Firestorm works just like Hailstorm, except what you see is what you get as far as the stats. The fire vulnerability on it is great. Astral Ally is nice for having another extra thing between you and enemies, but the cooldown far exceeds the summon length without a high point investment. Shocking Orb is kind of a slow moving Storm Locus. I didn't like it, but I was comparing it to Prismatic.

Cool thanks. I like having another thing between me and the enemy as I am getting 1 shot more and more often... I think I need some more vit. Giving my pet "summon skeleton" was pretty good.

scy

I have a question regarding this. I would find out the answer for myself but my video card has spontaneously combusted.

You describe "weapon DPS"; as far as I'm aware, the moves you're describing as "weapon DPS" pull from your enumerated DPS with that weapon (IE DPS + the character wielding it) and not the DPS of the weapon itself, meaning that both focus and strength boost your DPS skill damage provided that you are doing some amount of elemental damage. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Assuming I'm not wrong about my first assumption, does that mean that skills that do weapon damage as an element double dip on that element bonus? For example: A skill does 100% of your DPS as fire damage. Your DPS is 100, and it's all fire damage. You put on a ring that boosts your DPS in fire by 50%. Your DPS is now 150, all fire; does it get that 50% boost AGAIN when calcuating the skill damage, making the calculated skill damage 225?

That's one of the things I need to check: When does +Elemental Damage% kick in? I'm going to assume that it would be:

(WeaponDPS * SkillMod) * (1 + ElementalDamageMod)

So, no, it wouldn't double-dip, it would merely apply at the end. So lets say you have 100 DPS from a Fire Wand and you use an Ice Skill that does 100% WeaponDPS. A +50% Fire bonus should theoretically do nothing for this skill damage since you're dealing Ice Damage in the end, not Fire, despite the source being a Fire Damage weapon.

Also, for that reason, I think Qis is right on WeaponDPS as Element not scaling with Focus since that would be an intense double-dipping on damage for high Focus builds with an Elemental weapon. That is, a no weapon Magma Spear or Icy Blast with 0 Focus or 2000 Focus would deal the same WeaponDPS damage (Magma Spear's DoT, however, would scale).

My question would be where does Attack Speed fall into this. I mean, it IS called "WeaponDPS" by all the tooltips. Theoretically speaking, Attack Speed should boost WeaponDPS which should boost skill damage based off their tooltips. But, trusting their tooltips ... :/

Morokh

Okay, so how is online overall though? In the case of just joining random games and playing?

You can choose games by level/difficulty, and game mode (normal/hardcore), games with people from your friends list will appear in a different color. (pretty much works the same as Diablo 2's online games selector if you played that)

Online is completely open, so you might encounter some people that are actually cheating, but if you suspect anything, just leave the game, and make sure to add them to your 'block' list so they won't be able to join one of your games, and you wont be able to see their games too.

Baha

Anybody here on Act III have
Notch's Cave
(sundered battlefield) on their map? It hasn't spawned for me and I've rerolled the world so many times now. I just need to join a game where it's present so it'll be in my game.

bdouble

Okay, so how is online overall though? In the case of just joining random games and playing?
Its nice. Ive just jumped in a few randoms. The map exploration may clear and have to start it over.

As for quests things seem to work pretty well. I was behind on my first foray and while on the secod to last quest I skipped ahead and killed the boss. No biggy. Next time i jumped in the player just started act 2. He came back after clearing the boss and he respawned.

scy

Also, for that reason, I think Qis is right on WeaponDPS as Element not scaling with Focus since that would be an intense double-dipping on damage for high Focus builds with an Elemental weapon. That is, a no weapon Magma Spear or Icy Blast with 0 Focus or 2000 Focus would deal the same WeaponDPS damage (Magma Spear's DoT, however, would scale).

Consoled a test Berserker to 100, 500, 1000, etc. Focus and spammed Icy Blast (15% WeaponDPS as Ice Damage) over and over on the Target Dummy.

Damage increased every single time I raised Focus. Again, this is a purely WeaponDPS as Ice Element attack. Adding STR mirrored the damage increase. These both went up regardless of what my weapon was (Axe or Wand).

:|

Edit: Trying it on Eviscerate (88% WeaponDPS, no element) has Focus doing nothing and STR scaling it.

Edit: So it seems like:

WeaponDPS: Scales with STR; if Weapon deals Elemental Damage, STR and Focus scaling.
WeaponDPS as Element: Scales with STR and Focus, regardless of weapon type.

Played my engineer up to level 32 or so. Had a lot of fun, but decided to reroll as a Berserker because a friend was starting a new character too.

Loooove the berserker. So much fun to just smash the crap out of everything. And use shadow burst to jump around everywhere, breaking shields and gaining health.

Fugu

Consoled a test Berserker to 100, 500, 1000, etc. Focus and spammed Icy Blast (15% WeaponDPS as Ice Damage) over and over on the Target Dummy.

Damage increased every single time I raised Focus. Again, this is a purely WeaponDPS as Ice Element attack. Adding STR mirrored the damage increase. These both went up regardless of what my weapon was (Axe or Wand).

:|

Edit: Trying it on Eviscerate (88% WeaponDPS, no element) has Focus doing nothing and STR scaling it.
This test isn't totally complete because focus will scale a weapon DPS move if you have sufficient elemental damage for the focus to register.

I think it is reasonable to assume at this point that focus benefits DPS as skills twice, which means it is likely that elemental damage bonuses do as well. I'll have to see though. I'll try tomorrow.

scy

This test isn't totally complete because focus will scale a weapon DPS move if you have sufficient elemental damage for the focus to register.

Only item equipped was the weapon. Equalizing the stats led to the same damage (e.g., 1500 STR/15 Focus vs 15 STR/1500 Focus). I used an Axe to remove damage variance.

Edit: As an unrelated aside, this has totally broken some of my achievements to do this testing :( Sad day.

Edit: So on the subject of my Caster Berserker, hooray, I just get free +90% Ice Damage by equipping a melee weapon.

scy

I was just playing with this a bit with a naked 100 engineer with the 100 legendary hammer and strength all the way. I actually can't tell you the answer to this one, I'm no scientist and the damage spread is always big enough to make me second guess what I'm seeing. Maybe focus would've been a better test?

Just did a quick test on this, Fire and Spark did nothing to the impact swing of Flame Hammer. Flame Hammer DID scale with Focus, however and Arcane Stats shows the +75% Fire Damage. So ... something.

Tested it at various Focus values (up to 60000). The swing stayed relatively constant* regardless of Fire and Spark involvement or not. Damage did increase with Focus and Strength at the same rate (60000 STR did ~13,000 per swing; 60000 Focus did ~13,000 per swing).

*This was an odd thing. I used an Axe which has no damage range. I had variance, however. Not much, a few hundred at the 13k damage range, but it was kind of odd.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So there is a stat listing for "Fishing Luck Bonus" but nobody has any clue what can raise it. There also seem to be extremely varied reports on fishing, where people report properly fishing every single fishing hole in the game completely and some got zero giant fish and some got one of every type.

Come on, man.

Anybody here on Act III have
Notch's Cave
(sundered battlefield) on their map? It hasn't spawned for me and I've rerolled the world so many times now. I just need to join a game where it's present so it'll be in my game.

It's just very rare. I went hunting for it and got it once out of 8 rerolls (the once was the third time I tried).

Holy crap, guys. Equipping items early by statting for them is TREMENDOUS.

I have a level 21 engineer who just got to act 2.

I have the Brainsnatcher equipped, socketed with a level 40 version of The Eye of the Dark Alchemist.

376 DPS, 480 physical damage over 5 seconds, 15% chance to stun, and 9 mana steal.

This is going to be fun!

EDIT: I...I used to have enemies. They have all passed away.

Was a fan of the original, but with diablo 3 coming out, didn't think I'd be too interested. Played through the demo, I was wrong.

Played as a one click wonder beserker (no secondary skill at all, just passives) on vet. It was tough until I found a legendary claw called Juniper Zill which has a 20% chance to cast eviscerate. It's rather nice.

And £15 is a damn nice price.

Btw if you buys it directly from their website, do u get the steam version? *edit* ah it's in the FAQ, you don't. But gamergates is in dollars and it's the steam version, yay saved myself £2.50*

aett

I ran into an Attribute Enchanter in Act II last night and after putting two enhancements on each piece of equipment that I was wearing, I almost doubled all of my four stats. Guess I'm going to be wearing this stuff for a very long time!

So there is a stat listing for "Fishing Luck Bonus" but nobody has any clue what can raise it. There also seem to be extremely varied reports on fishing, where people report properly fishing every single fishing hole in the game completely and some got zero giant fish and some got one of every type.

Come on, man.
I don't know if it was level or MF gear or story progression or what, but something definitely changed my odds. I mentioned a streak of four Giants earlier, but it actually ended up being six in one fishing session. There's no way that's just errant luck.

Ceebs

Why can't I stop playing this game? Just started a new Engineer. This time going Cannons and bots.

Will be glad to see some actual damage after playing a tank for so long.

L00P

I just lost around five levels of progress because steam cloud decided to not sync my save and I was dumb enough to pick the cloud save. FML

Lost some of the uniques I got. It sucks. On the bright side, I'm gonna hold of on gambling this time around since it my made character so broke last game

Salsa

played up to level 12 of a new outlander tonight with 2 friends and im having more fun with her than I did with my Engineer really

who knew

played up to level 12 of a new outlander tonight with 2 friends and im having more fun with her than I did with my Engineer really

who knew
I did something similar but switched from engineer to berserker. Engy was pretty easy to play (mines, healing bot, gunbot, shotgun to keep them away). But it's way more fun to me just ripping them apart as a berserker.

fresquito

Played yesterday with two friends and had a blast.

That said, I played Berserk and didnt like the bar mechanic too much. Is it me or the bar grows really slow?

Fugu

Only item equipped was the weapon. Equalizing the stats led to the same damage (e.g., 1500 STR/15 Focus vs 15 STR/1500 Focus). I used an Axe to remove damage variance.
No, I mean that if you dealt no elemental damage to begin with, then points into focus would be boosting a value of zero by a percentage. So for you to distinguish whether or not focus was influencing the DPS of skills tied to DPS, you would have to do a test incorporating elemental damage as well.

EDIT: I did not see your edit. Ignore.

Finished it last night with outlander. Good bosses at the end, but I felt level design wasn't as good as in the earlier parts of the game. Also I felt kind of lost in terms of where the story was. Great game nonetheless!

Now continuing on NG+ and also rolled a new mage. Seems quest options also randomize on each playthrough as well as the areas - lots and lots of re-playability. My only gripe is probably I liked D3's skill system where they didn't lock you into a particular build. I know you can stat-reset, but it would have been better if you could buy some potion/use the stat reset person, and reset any 3 stat points you want, not just the last 3.

Top Bottom