• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Ceebs

Ah nice. I'm still on Act 3 so I didn't know this. Does Mapworks stay unlocked when you begin a NG+ and is it unlocked for normal new games right away, like the Shadow Vault in TL1?

I think it's only unlocked for the character you cleared the game with, but it stays unlocked in NG+

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Everyone knows the best pet is the goggled ferret.

Salsa

I have to admit that I picked the bulldog for this char because I wanted to have Adventure Time's jake. He doesnt stretch tho, so far at least.

I picked the ferret with my engie, but I think the bulldog looks great, specially next to the smaller-build girl.

AIRic

It's weird, but I can't find a way to start a new game plus? I just finished the game and would like to continue with my character. When I click on new game it goes directly to create a new character..?

My mapworks is also all black... SO weird.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Everyone knows the best pet is the goggled ferret.

Ferret makes TL2 GOTY easily.

By the way, why does socketing items have to be so finicky? If I try the exact same combination of an item and gems, sometimes the transmute button will light up and other times it won't.

Einbroch

Banned
Question: how easy is it to spawn weapons for yourself, and is there a way to know whether or not someone did?

This determines whether I buy the game or not!

Well I finished the game tonight at level 53 with my Engineer. I'm going to mess around with some of the maps from that raccoon seller and then start a new game and maybe do some random multiplayer games. Overall, I really like the game and had more fun with the Engineer than I did with any of the classes in Diablo 3. Was definitely worth the wait.

Sarcasm

Question: how easy is it to spawn weapons for yourself, and is there a way to know whether or not someone did?

This determines whether I buy the game or not!
I don't see how that affects you. First the item is already in the game. Secondly if they are trading its for equal value. Still takes time. If you find out sell item or drop. It still has no affect on your game.

Though I never traded with randoms even on d2 where that was extremely rampant with spawned/hacked/duped items.

Sajjaja

Where do you find Dwarves in this game? I'm in act 2 and I need it for an augmented weapon.

EDIT: For this bad boy ;D Got it on my first gamble!

E6A6033B7DCF6B6F020690DBEBB98F89E338C7CF

Okay, 2handed Engineer help:

My skills are:
Flame Hammer
Heal Bot
The first two passives in the two handed tree
Bulwark
and the Aegis passive

My stats are all into STR and VIT (over 100 each), nothing in Dex or Focus

I'm currently level 40

My questions are

1. Any other passives I should grab?
2. What are other good actives to grab for my build?
3. Any point in putting stats into Dex and Focus?
4. Any points i should STOP putting points into STR or VIT?

Thanks!

pmj

My pet, the small dog, sniffs constantly when no enemies are around, and it's seriously hurting my enjoyment of the game.

I should have restarted when I realized my mistake a few hours in, but now I'm on act 3.

Fuck you, dog. Next pet will be well researched.

Reuenthal

Banned
I heard good things about both this and Torchlight one but never played either.

Should I get this? Or should I start with the first one. Is there a continuing story? I wouldn't mind starting from the sequel if it is improved and better game and there is not much necessary story to follow or it is unimportant or it is self contained mostly.

Morokh

I heard good things about both this and Torchlight one but never played either.

Should I get this? Or should I start with the first one. Is there a continuing story? I wouldn't mind starting from the sequel if it is improved and better game and there is not much necessary story to follow or it is unimportant or it is self contained mostly.

The story of the first doesn't matter (just google it if you really care), go with the second right away. If you're not sure, try the demo.

scy

Okay, 2handed Engineer help:

My skills are:
Flame Hammer
Heal Bot
The first two passives in the two handed tree
Bulwark
and the Aegis passive

My stats are all into STR and VIT (over 100 each), nothing in Dex or Focus

I'm currently level 40

My questions are

1. Any other passives I should grab?
2. What are other good actives to grab for my build?
3. Any point in putting stats into Dex and Focus?
4. Any points i should STOP putting points into STR or VIT?

Thanks!

Aegis isn't really worth it, to be honest. Force Field is ultimately the better skill for survivability, though it does run at odds with Flame Hammer for Charges. Dynamo Field is nice to have for generating Charge and I'd get a point in Coup de Grace and Onslaught as well.

DEX is more useful than VIT outside of stat requirements. 53 / 113 / 184 for 10% / 20% / 30% Crit and Dodge% and improving fumble damage reduction. Focus is an odd stat. It will scale certain parts of skills (Flame Hammer's splinters and burn, anything listed as Weapon DPS as Element, Elemental damage from equipment) but Flame Hammer still scales best with STR. It's debatable. Right now, you may be better off just getting your +Focus from equipment rather than spending points.

pmj

My favorite class in the first game was Vanquisher, both ranged and melee using those dashing moves, and always with turrets.

Is there a similar class in Torchlight 2? Engineer maybe?

K-19

Banned
My favorite class in the first game was Vanquisher, both ranged and melee using those dashing moves, and always with turrets.

Is there a similar class in Torchlight 2? Engineer maybe?

The most similar would be the outlander.

pmj

The most similar would be the outlander.

Outlander seems to have the ranged stuff, but nothing else I liked about Vanquisher. I suppose I enjoyed setting battles up, putting up my turrents and keeping enemies within range.

Engineer has some kind of bots? But if they follow you around, they wouldn't be much like the turrets at all.

I suppose anything a bit more involved would be good, maybe something that would require you to play defensively, as I'm finding playing my embermage to be a bit mindless. It might very well be due to my lacking imagination, but so far it has worked fine to rush in, teleport around, and spam the same few offensive spells, so that's what I do.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
PPDAQ.jpg

Random loot they said!

Bought two amulets from the Gambler and got the EXACT SAME ITEM. Now either lightning struck twice, or the "random" loot is a little funny. I'd really like to learn how the game handles the randomization of loot (especially with uniques). Are unique items truly unique, or can they have randomized values for a set of stats? (I.E: Every unique has the same specific stats/bonuses to whatever, but different amounts each time) I'm going to guess that they're set values every time the unique item is dropped after getting the same amulet twice.

Also I've noticed that Shield Bash is a little glitchy on the Engineer. I was playing with a friend tonight and managed to shield bash a champion inside of the level. I've noticed that sometimes I'll force enemies off cliffs and down to a lower elevation as well.

Been having a lot of fun in co-op with TL2 so far and I'm enjoying the Engineer class so far as well. Trying to build a tanky character that hits hard, and so far I don't think I'm achieving either. Forcefield definitely keeps me going, but I tend to get hit like a truck still even with 100 vitality. Not sure if my armor blows or if I'm not building my character correctly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Did a bunch of fishing in town while listening to music. Now I have a giant spider egg, giant crab egg, giant tunnel shark, and giant jackal bass. Decisions, decisions...

Edit: My frost mage looks pretty awesome right now.

iLRrxSkWZm54Y.jpg

RadeonPro wasn't applying AA for some reason.

I'm definitely not changing my puppy. One of my other characters will get something new.

Blu10

My pet, the small dog, sniffs constantly when no enemies are around, and it's seriously hurting my enjoyment of the game.

I should have restarted when I realized my mistake a few hours in, but now I'm on act 3.

Fuck you, dog. Next pet will be well researched.

Just feed it a giant fish and turn it into something else permanently.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Final boss was a wuss!

That said, I believe someone asked earlier... if you start NG+ can you still access the mapworks?

Random loot they said!

Bought two amulets from the Gambler and got the EXACT SAME ITEM. Now either lightning struck twice, or the "random" loot is a little funny. I'd really like to learn how the game handles the randomization of loot (especially with uniques). Are unique items truly unique, or can they have randomized values for a set of stats? (I.E: Every unique has the same specific stats/bonuses to whatever, but different amounts each time) I'm going to guess that they're set values every time the unique item is dropped after getting the same amulet twice.
I've got two set-uniques in my stash which are exactly the same but with different stats. Very strange :)

Worth some mention since I did the work over on the Ruinic forums, +Elemental Damage% does in fact work with skills that deal WeaponDPS as Element.

One of those things that's probably "obvious" but some people were passing around that they didn't scale so I went ahead and tested it.

Do you know anything about dex in a focus build? People calculated that you need ~100 dex and then any amount of str to reach that optimal crit/damage ratio...does the same thing apply to focus builds? 100 dex and you're good?

VandalD

Random loot they said!
Interesting. I thought two of the same unique loot would have the same effects, just slightly different values. I still haven't found two of the same unique yet though.

Edit: Oh, replies already. Interesting again.

Zaventem

Haven't played this yet but fucked around with a skill calculator.Do the extra skills that are always active(Dropped Skills according to the skill calculator)require points like Passive skills in the original to get to 10/10?

VandalD

Haven't played this yet but fucked around with a skill calculator.Do the extra skills that are always active(Dropped Skills according to the skill calculator)require points like Passive skills in the original to get to 10/10?
There are no passive skills for any class that boosts spell ranks like in the first game. You just find better spells. Edit: And the site is referring to spells as dropped skills.

I like this game MUCH better when I turned off the normal item drops in the settings. There is so much less clutter but I still get to see the good items. Those trash items really shouldn't exist to begin with, but this is a very nice compromise.

Have they announced when the workshop stuff goes Live? I'm just curious to see what people come up with.

Top Bottom