• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Just getting slammed every 5 minutes as a outlander. Have 1000 Physical armor and 200 elemental armor (each one) and getting 2000dmg hits at veteran and NG+. How can i prevent this? Getting more elemental armor?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just getting slammed every 5 minutes as a outlander. Have 1000 Physical armor and 200 elemental armor (each one) and getting 2000dmg hits at veteran and NG+. How can i prevent this? Getting more elemental armor?
Uh, yeah. If they aren't swinging clubs at you or something, it's magical. Since vitality improves magical armor as well, I can only assume you have completely forsaken it in favor of physical armor-focused items? So when they hit you for 3000 elemental damage, 2800 of it gets through. Not a good idea.

Also Stone Pact is a very good thing for Outlander. Increases armor and reflects damage back to attackers while healing you.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My pet builds a skeleton army for me! Too bad about the archers being rooted in place, though.

Yep, my ferret is a necro, too. Free summon spells are the best.

Wait... are you fuckin' serious? You can give your pet spells?

This game.

This fucking game.

Yep.

I have Summon Zombies, Summon Skeletons and Summon Nether Imp on my ferret. He is my furry little necro.

Wunder

Alright! Just impulse bought the 4-pack with a fellow Gaffer on board, any day 1 tips going into this game or should I just wing it?

Uh, yeah. If they aren't swinging clubs at you or something, it's magical. Since vitality improves magical armor as well, I can only assume you have completely forsaken it in favor of physical armor-focused items? So when they hit you for 3000 elemental damage, 2800 of it gets through. Not a good idea.

150 points at Vitality.

Gvaz

Banned
Lol Torchlight 1 you could give your pet spells too

I always give my pet healing and upkeep spells because it's always a pain in the ass to use them yourself

Dice

I was making a frost mage but stopped when I couldn't decide on a build. Would you mind posting yours?
Embermage 5/121/6

Amazing.

It has also been amazing how easy it was to acquire items that give +13% ice damage. I'm a fucking ice beast even without a powerful staff... but I do have one.

Any mod to reset my skill points? I went rapid fire on my outlander from the beginning and would like to try out other skills to see what is best and most fun :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Any mod to reset my skill points? I went rapid fire on my outlander from the beginning and would like to try out other skills to see what is best and most fun :(

Rapid fire is awesome on bosses / going one on one situations.

---

On a side note for whatever reason finally managed to get the game working.

spirity

It has also been amazing how easy it was to acquire items that give +13% ice damage. I'm a fucking ice beast even without a powerful staff... but I do have one.

I've noticed that. My build is fire, and my gear reflects that, but I've seen far more ice damage gear than fire.

I was making a frost mage but stopped when I couldn't decide on a build. Would you mind posting yours?

Tip for you is that Icy Blast is incredibly underrated and is actually one of the most damaging spells for an Embermage, thanks to staff mastery and frost brand. A lot of people seem to feel that frost mages are weak before you get Frost wave but the combination of Icy Blast, Hailstorm, Frost Brand and Staff Mastery is a lot stronger than it looks.

Dice

Thanks very much! I think I'll give that a go.
Bear in mind that while elemental boon is maxed, it's icing on the cake for fighting tougher enemies in NG++ or something. Save it for the latter parts of development. I'm actually debating it's effectiveness vs putting those points into Rift Warp or Wand Chaos.

Edit: Actually, the more I think about it looking at that build plan vs how things have been playing out, I'm going to take that out and put it elsewhere...

Embermage 5/116/11

I'd keep it if I played online with this character since it also helps allies.

Fugu

Use a shield. The way that armour works makes it very, very difficult for you to mitigate damage through armour alone on NG+ and beyond. Because you already have high vit, it is likely that you will be at or near the block cap with a decent shield, which will mean that you'll take 50% less hits.

scy

I just checked and found a Summon Skeleton IV, excellent. Then I gave it to my pet and found out they can't spam the spell. Fuck.

Well, it has a cooldown :x My Pet summons skeletons, a group of archers, has a group heal, and throws fireballs.

Also worth noting, you can Transmute two spell/skills scrolls to get a random one back. Level should be the average of the two scrolls used.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, it has a cooldown :x My Pet summons skeletons, a group of archers, has a group heal, and throws fireballs.

Also worth noting, you can Transmute two spell/skills scrolls to get a random one back. Level should be the average of the two scrolls used.

Thank you! Didn't know that. I have a bunch of trash scrolls sitting in my stash right now. Hopefully I can make something useful.

I don't know why I see so many people wanting to build tank engineers.

There's no threat management in this game, meaning that if you try to tank in multiplayer you just won't be doing as much damage as anyone else and all the monsters will be swarming your buddies who are the ones irritating them.

If you tank single player, you might die less, but the whole game will just take much longer.

The best support sort of tanking you can provide in this game is a swarm of minions to distract enemies who haven't been hit yet by a player. In that sense you need gunbot, sledgebot, and multiple levels of summon skeleton archers on your pet (and maybe yourself). The sheer number of dudes on the field will stop a lot of the damage from getting to you.

And besides all of that, a tank engineer (meaning simply a damage sponge) is essentially any engineer with maxed Forcefield. That's all it takes!

There also is a trick with the gambler that can be considered plain cheating.

Pick an item in his weapon/armor tab, keep you mouse clicked and bring it over the buy-back tab for the tab to switch.
Then put the item in one of the buy-back slots, it will get identified, and you can buy it at the buy-back price (a thousand times cheaper)

It has been stated it will be fixed in the next patch, but if you want to use it until then ...

I got soo many Oranges, feels soo good. The lack of drops on my game was sad.

Skeyser

I got soo many Oranges, feels soo good. The lack of drops on my game was sad.

Might as well spawn them with the console at this point
KuGsj.gif

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I almost feel bad using the Gambler trick. But I've respecced my mage, so I've already officially cheated with him. It is nice to finally get a better chestpiece after using the same one for 20 levels.

Javaman

I love the game but the respec guy is soo useless. Why didn't they make it so you could respec all your skill points at a great cost? You shouldn't have to use a mod to do that!

If you want to do the trick, hurry, because they've fixed it and they said they were hoping for the next patch within a week...as of a few days ago.

Parakeetman

Question with the single player aspect of the game how does one go about resetting the monsters in areas? Or is it basically you need to play through the whole game again?

Would starting up in LAN allow for how diablo works with each time you quit the game the world repopulates?

Parakeetman

Yes, if you start a LAN there's an option called re-roll world.

Awesome thanks!

Ill have to go and do that then. Since as easy as the game is on normal, would be nice being able to go on loot runs and what not just to build up more cash. A bit hard when everyplace Ive been to everyone is dead lol

Luthos

I'd like to say I love how they now have tomes in this game, not just spell scrolls. In the first game, getting all these summon spells and frost or fireball spells on my alchemist just felt... redundant. (besides heal all).

But now with tomes, there are a lot of passive buffs you can get. I have stuff like Barter (increases selling/buying prices), Treasure Hunter (magic and gold find), and magic expertise (less mage weapon/armor requirement, and increase damage from wands/staves).

Still gotta have a Heal All or Heal Self though.

jackal27

Banned
I have been loving this game so hard. Probably my favorite PC action-RPG ever. I never played Diablo 3 (couldn't run it) and couldn't get into Borderlands that much, but this game is exactly what I wanted.

My favorite part is the beautiful world that they've crafted and the amazing creature designs. Just a fantastic game all around.

I have been loving this game so hard. Probably my favorite PC action-RPG ever. I never played Diablo 3 (couldn't run it) and couldn't get into Borderlands that much, but this game is exactly what I wanted.

My favorite part is the beautiful world that they've crafted and the amazing creature designs. Just a fantastic game all around.

The only thing I like more about d3 is the fidelity of the graphics and the skills and some of the combat. However, I like the monsters and mini bosses and pace more so far.

Wunder

Hey guys, quick question about stats and skills, is it possible to fully respec any of these? I'm only like level 4 and I went to the first town and saw a respec guy there but it says it will only respec the last 3 points you put in, so is there a way to fully respec skills/talents? I say this only because I was snooping for Engy builds yesterday and found one that I didn't really understand, but I knew it didn't have Flame Hammer in it, so I took a point out of Flame and now have a Healing Bot, but I was wondering if I didn't do that would I have a point in Flame Hammer forever?

Top Bottom