• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Hey guys, quick question about stats and skills, is it possible to fully respec any of these? I'm only like level 4 and I went to the first town and saw a respec guy there but it says it will only respec the last 3 points you put in, so is there a way to fully respec skills/talents? I say this only because I was snooping for Engy builds yesterday and found one that I didn't really understand, but I knew it didn't have Flame Hammer in it, so I took a point out of Flame and now have a Healing Bot, but I was wondering if I didn't do that would I have a point in Flame Hammer forever?

You can repsec only last 3 points, that's all. If you want more you have to use mods or console commands.

commissar

Today I found my first legendary, which was Deep Red. I don't even use bows so I'll probably trade it with someone at some point. Whatever.

THEN.

I gambled
well, I bought all of them >_>
and won with my claws.
Got the Jade Goblet. Pretty darn happy. Added a 20% increase to crit damage gem and managed two enchants (5% execute and 1% fully heal).

Map rooms are really cool :D

KingKong

Quick question, if I start over at new game+, is the mapworks thing going to be available right away?

Also, is there really no way to respec without cheating?

This is probably the single greatest loot name and flavor text of all time.

jbmL3M22bkKFq0.jpg

Wunder

Hey guys, engineer working towards a cannoneer build and I was wondering if there were any other engys that can help with this question: What should I use for my second weapon? Another cannon?

Ceebs

Hey guys, engineer working towards a cannoneer build and I was wondering if there were any other engys that can help with this question: What should I use for my second weapon? Another cannon?

Second weapon?

HA!

I never use the 2nd weapon set myself. If you are going cannons there is no reason to use anything else. I think that would be more useful to the other classes to switch between a 1H+shield and Dual Wielding.

Wunder

Second weapon?

HA!

I never use the 2nd weapon set myself. If you are going cannons there is no reason to use anything else. I think that would be more useful to the other classes to switch between a 1H+shield and Dual Wielding.

Alright, thanks for the heads up! Are you building a cannoneer too? :D

wizzbang

Banned
I played this game for about 18 hours and it slowly ramped up in difficulty unfortunately.
I'm not particularly good at these games and I loved Torchlight 1 because it was cheap, simple, pretty, fun.
I finished TL1 once in single player and I was more thna happy with my purchase.

Torchlight 2 is also a great, fun game, it's very very pretty, I like how it's bigger, I think the difficulty scaling as you go further in is a bit rough but it's likely a bit of my skill holding me back, I like how the frame rate was so glorious on my old 5850 and I like there was more storyline (albeit a little thin)

I just can't play the stupid treadmill gear click click click games, I cheated after 18 hours for money and finished about 3 hours later (I don't regret the decision at all) it felt so liberating to not have to go home on the 6'th night after work and keep clicking endlessly.
I seriously am happy to NOT be playing the game anymore because it was just grindy.
The core combat just wasn't quite fun enough for me, I enjoyed it but it grew thin, I found myself thinking about FTL, even though it's also a repetitive game, it's core gameplay is more fun to me than Torchlight, without that excellent core gameplay the other driver (loot) isn't enough for me

I should've played in easy and not normal I guess! I'd heard the game is too easy, perhaps not for RPG newbs.

This post is not a complaint, it's just feedback about how single player gamers might feel about the game. I play for the story primarily in 99% of games and the core gameplay is the rest. I am more than happy with my purchase, definitely but I figure one of the developers might find this of some use

Disclaimer: I know I'm not even the target audience, most people would just re-play over and over and over again, I simply don't have time for that.

pmj

I finished the game earlier today on veteran, and while some enemies toward the end oneshotted me when given the opportunity, I found T2 to be easier than T1 overall. The embermage class may be overpowered though. It's ridiculous how you can appear in a new location every 2 seconds and make it rain death from the sky non-stop, with the odd break for shooting missiles, and everything you kill heals HP and mana.

The biggest surprise is that my pet (permanently transformed into a Swampflyer) made for a great tank. In T1 if put on aggressive it would run out of health and flee roughly 1.5 seconds into any and every fight, but in this game it can hold its own against anything the game throws at you.

Maybe Swampflyers just really rock. I hope I get to keep it in NG+, if I don't decide to create a new character instead. If so, I'm going to need more Swampflyer fish.

Darkone

I am a few hours in on Act 1 on Elite difficult, dam this is very challenging.
i need to do every side quest to get good items in order to proceed, me like :).

playing a Berzerker, what stat should & skill build direction should i go?

I am a few hours in on Act 1 on Elite difficult, dam this is very challenging.
i need to do every side quest to get good items in order to proceed, me like :).

playing a Berzerker, what stat should & skill build direction should i go?

I dont know about Skills but Stats i would recommend this : 3 in strenght (until you have 100 then u should spend 2 points in it)
1 in Dexterity
1 in Vitality ( when Strenght hits 100 then 2 points)
Could be wrong trough.
And armor is very important. Make a tanky berserk with high elemental armor and normal armor. Good for MP. Skills i would recommend passiv and aura skills for high dmg ouput armor and hp. Search for normal skills that have high dmg or hit many foes at once.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I love using 2h weapons but I'm starting to not see the point of them. My Blitz Engineer has zero points in Aegis but is 10x more survivable with a shield equipped and the difference in damage output between 1h and 2h doesn't seem that great.

Ceebs

Yeah ok...

elite0soao.png

Now lets never play on that again. Fuck.

Here is what I look like at lvl 73.

I should note I did a total respec around lvl 60 or so. My damage was just not keeping up. It was taking 30+ seconds to kill trash mobs. I now straight wreck guys. All hail focus tank.

Wunder

Hey guys, has anyone done the math on DW/2h stuff? I'm playing an embermage co-op and was wondering how to decide between DW wands and a Staff, purely on a DPS standpoint.

Ceebs

Hey guys, has anyone done the math on DW/2h stuff? I'm playing an embermage co-op and was wondering how to decide between DW wands and a Staff, purely on a DPS standpoint.

Probably boils down to playstyle really. Granted once you get charge mastery up a few ranks you will probably never use your weapon much.

That said, it's easier to find a great staff than 2 great wands.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Especially on co-op, you want to go staff. Icy Blast is affected by Staff Mastery, so that's up to seven times the armor-stripping effects for 3-4 times you can fire it and still have time to hit them with something more powerful (though brands will stack on top of it, too, so all 3 could make it crazy powerful) Obviously having all their armor stripped would not just make your attacks hit harder, but also the attacks of the people you're playing with.

Dice

Prismatic Bolt is good because it's a homing spell. However, I don't know why he says "debuffs" when it's clearly a status effect. Debuff is the armor-stripping that Staff Mastery imbues Icy Blast.

Looking at that build, you didn't fuck up because it's only using 75 out of a possible 132 points. You could max staff mastery, icy blast, put one point into frost phase and still have 26 points left.

The only thing I would say is make sure you're having fun. I am slightly concerned that the moves my frost mage has will get old, and here you're all focused on spamming two moves.

Wunder

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about that as well. My Cannoneer seems to be focused on Blast Cannon and a bunch of passive/utility skills, so I don't really know if I wanna play that way, or just bum about and dump points anywhere. It just scares me thinking that I can't respec so I don't want to 'waste' time in levelling up a character that won't be viable later on, even though I don't really have that much interest in doing like NG+ Elite runs. ;_;

I went with this guy's Primatic Bolt build, and I'm adding in Charge Mastery and some other stuff, did I fuck up?

His build is just the basic stuff, charge mastery is always good for making sure you never run out of mana, although you shouldn't max it. It's difficult to win with just Prismatic Bolt, you need to take either Hail Storm (best option IMHO), Lightning Locus or Frost Wave to deal with large crowds.

But yeah don't play a Prismatic Bolt build, it's a freaking boring build.

Wunder

His build is just the basic stuff, charge mastery is always good for making sure you never run out of mana, although you shouldn't max it. It's difficult to win with just Prismatic Bolt, you need to take either Hail Storm (best option IMHO), Lightning Locus or Frost Wave to deal with large crowds.

:( What should I do, I've already put 5 points into it!

Darkone

I dont know about Skills but Stats i would recommend this : 3 in strenght (until you have 100 then u should spend 2 points in it)
1 in Dexterity
1 in Vitality ( when Strenght hits 100 then 2 points)
Could be wrong trough.
And armor is very important. Make a tanky berserk with high elemental armor and normal armor. Good for MP. Skills i would recommend passiv and aura skills for high dmg ouput armor and hp. Search for normal skills that have high dmg or hit many foes at once.

thanks for the advice.

Neki

nothing boring about killing mobs with maximum efficiency. :p

scy

It's more or less been answered but Staff will always win the DPS contest due to Staff Mastery.

nothing boring about killing mobs with maximum efficiency. :p

Frost Wave has better crowd clearing, though nothing really matches Prismatic Bolt for single-target damage. And PB is such a great spam spell.

It's kind of sad, though, that the PB build can basically be done with five points (1 PB, 1 in each Brand, 1 in Frost Phase).

Wunder

OK, I've come up with my ramshackle build based off advice in this thread and the official forums. What do you guys think? This is the cap, right? It let me keep going but I heard somewhere that that was the cap for Level + Fame.

scy

You honestly don't need that many points in Charge Mastery and I personally don't think Elemental Attunement is that great. Ice Prison is a great CC spell and Icy Blast is the better way to apply Staff Mastery, though it does require closer range. Elemental Boon's damage bonus is good too, though constantly rebuffing is annoying :(

see5harp

Loving how powerful you feel when you get a mana shrine. You just hold the right mouse button down and it's death and gold all over the place.

The one thing that bothers me about this game aside from the poor sound effects and voice acting is the manner multiplayer works. Why the fuck do I need to sign up for Runic account and why the fuck are decent devs not using Steamworks? If I need to sign into Runic to even show up on a friendlist then prompt me to sign in the second the game starts.

Wunder

You honestly don't need that many points in Charge Mastery and I personally don't think Elemental Attunement is that great. Ice Prison is a great CC spell and Icy Blast is the better way to apply Staff Mastery, though it does require closer range. Elemental Boon's damage bonus is good too, though constantly rebuffing is annoying :(

Cool! How many points would you recommend for Charge Mastery? And do you think I should max Elemental Boon instead of Attunement?

bdouble

The one thing that bothers me about this game aside from the poor sound effects and voice acting is the manner multiplayer works. Why the fuck do I need to sign up for Runic account and why the fuck are decent devs not using Steamworks? If I need to sign into Runic to even show up on a friendlist then prompt me to sign in the second the game starts.
it does use steamworks that is why your friends list transfers an you get steam cloud. I dont gwt why its thay big of a deal its pretty painless one time setup.

TGMIII

So I found this shield on hardcore and it's making me want to start a hardcore elite 1hand+shield engineer but the issue I've always had is damage output. On previous tries I've been able to take a few hits but the damage is so low that it means I could be fighting champs for literally 15+ minutes, due to adds spawning and all the rest of that stuff. I'm assuming that I'm just building wrong so does anyone have any ideas, can you get sustainable damage from melee or does it all come from spells?

see5harp

My friend told me that he didn't see me on his list. If it used steamworks it would work like Borderlands 2. You see everything everyone of your friends on Steam is doing and can just into their games. Why as a dev would you even want to use your own system that then needs links to Steam? By steamworks I don't just mean some achievements and the use of friendslist (even though Runic doesn't even get the friendlist right). I want invites through Steam messaging, leaderboards, the whole shebang. Borderlands 2 is a fantastic game for a third party. If Big Picture Mode is going to be a factor at all either Steam or devs need to wake the hell up. Also stop installing Direct X. I already have that, Java, Flash, etc. installed.

So I found this shield on hardcore and it's making me want to start a hardcore elite 1hand+shield engineer but the issue I've always had is damage output. On previous tries I've been able to take a few hits but the damage is so low that it means I could be fighting champs for literally 15+ minutes, due to adds spawning and all the rest of that stuff. I'm assuming that I'm just building wrong so does anyone have any ideas, can you get sustainable damage from melee or does it all come from spells?

Most people who use a shield seem to have a pure focus build, using abilities that deal flat elemental damage (no weapon DPS).

Ashodin

My friend told me that he didn't see me on his list. If it used steamworks it would work like Borderlands 2. You see everything everyone of your friends on Steam is doing and can just into their games. Why as a dev would you even want to use your own system that then needs links to Steam?

I think it wasn't going to be on Steam at some point, so they had to integrate with Steam once they decided they were bringing it there.

Dice

Yep. And its a huge problem for me. Because in NG+ every enemy that hits you make 4k dmg. And i just have 4200 hp
I'm starting to think dodge doesn't apply to magic, which would basically make it pointless in any situations that you would actually worry about.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. That would explain why they let it cap out so high. But it also is a bit bugged in that it doesn't display every time the dodge happens, you may be dodging a lot more than you think.

Does block apply to magic?

Top Bottom