• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

MechaX

With embermages, I know it's pretty much Prismatic Bolt or bust... But how should I be handling level-by-level stat distributions? I had the rough idea of doing 3 Focus, 1 vit, 1 dex.

Just started playing and created an Outlander class. Is there any difference between using a bow or a pair of guns? Reading skill description of Akimbo made me regretted putting skill points in Long Range Mastery.

KingKong

So the only way to full respec is to cheat with console/shared stash or is there some way at the end of the game or beginning of new game+

bdouble

Just started playing and created an Outlander class. Is there any difference between using a bow or a pair of guns? Reading skill description of Akimbo made me regretted putting skill points in Long Range Mastery.

Nope just how the passives only affect certain weapons. Plus the differences of how each range weapons act. Xbox have the longest ramge, bows average, shot guns and cannons have spread and are short range, pistols and wands you can duel weild. Also some skills require certain weapons (no tangle shot with wands)

LRM is a good straight dmg increase and for me the range is great because its annoying how short all the weapons shoot I dont see a reason to not take it and akimbo if you want to duel weild. Plus a few points in it isnt going to hurt.

Right now on my OL at ~30 has only the range weapon mastery. This way I dont really care what weapon I have and can switch it up between all range weps depending on situation and well drops. Been rocking a unique shotgun for a while which is great for trash mobs and mana drain bow or xboe for bosses for more concentrate dmg. Even had 2 wands at one point because i had a unique drop. Its been a lot of fun with my skillsM and i feel that all the weapon fit the OL.

Ashodin

Awww yeah, just got a unique greatsword several levels above me, hahaha.

Damn and I just bought this greatsword!

Streaming awesome MF action on my stream guys.

Duxxy3

I like this game MUCH better when I turned off the normal item drops in the settings. There is so much less clutter but I still get to see the good items. Those trash items really shouldn't exist to begin with, but this is a very nice compromise.

All of the normals really pad my wallet and let me gamble my money away...

and then sell my crappy items i got from gambling like an idiot.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
According to the Steam achievements info, I've fished 93 times and I've yet to find a giant fish. Is there another way to get them?
Nope. I recommend putting on some of your favorite music and fishing away in town. I got 4 giant fish now. If you want it to permanently be a jackal or mole, let me know. I won't be using those two.

scy

Awww yeah, just got a unique greatsword several levels above me, hahaha.

Damn and I just bought this greatsword!

Streaming awesome MF action on my stream guys.

I just found a fairly decent 2Her with a "low" STR requirement of only around 130. Time to roll up a new 2H Engineer with 5 STR/level!

With embermages, I know it's pretty much Prismatic Bolt or bust... But how should I be handling level-by-level stat distributions? I had the rough idea of doing 3 Focus, 1 vit, 1 dex.

Honestly, you can skip the VIT if you aren't using a Shield. 3 Focus / 2 DEX for better crit/dodge rates or just 4 Focus / 1 DEX.

Do you know anything about dex in a focus build? People calculated that you need ~100 dex and then any amount of str to reach that optimal crit/damage ratio...does the same thing apply to focus builds? 100 dex and you're good?

Honestly, I'm not sure. If anything, it'd be lower due to the lack of synergy with STR's Crit Damage. Probably get to 10% and call it a day. Though, I'd go farther if only because you WILL Crit Damage itemize at the end game anyway so you might as well get more crit%.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man I keep crashing at character creation so have not been able to play the game at all. :/

Seriously hope a patch comes out soon.

Gvaz

Banned
I've got two set-uniques in my stash which are exactly the same but with different stats. Very strange :)
Me too, but from the gambler:

iEBulokSBMGPG.jpg

Recall

Played 8 hours straight and got my fresh Engineer to level 38. I've given up on my outlander as she dies way too quick. With the Engineer I've died once and used just 14 potions, gotta love the heal bot and forcefield skills.

My biggest gripe so far with Torchlight 2 is that every unique weapon or main armour I've gotten is always for the class I'm not playing. So many berserker and embermage uniques.

scy

My biggest gripe so far with Torchlight 2 is that every unique weapon or main armour I've gotten is always for the class I'm not playing. So many berserker and embermage uniques.

I have seven 2H Weapons for Levels 10 - 50.

My Engineer won't give a shit about drops!

Played 8 hours straight and got my fresh Engineer to level 38. I've given up on my outlander as she dies way too quick. With the Engineer I've died once and used just 14 potions, gotta love the heal bot and forcefield skills.

you know you want to embermage.

Torraz

What stat distribution is good for an engineer? 2 Str 1 Dex 2 Vit?

As for skills, all the passives look really good, plus the heal bot and force field, of course.

What weapons is everyone using?

As for skills, all the passives look really good, plus the heal bot and force field, of course.

I focused on strength and vitality but I read on the Torchlight 2 forums how a guy never put a point in vitality and instead put some in dexterity and paid attention to Forcefield and never had any problems in Veteran difficulty while tanking. I think I'm going to respec and try it out.

As for weapons, I mainly used two-handed melee and cannons.

scy

0 VIT or VIT as needed for stat requirements. If you're with a shield, you may want some more like 53 VIT for 10% Base Block but, honestly, VIT isn't a good stat to raise. 2 STR, 1 DEX, 2 Focus may be the best build depending on the skills you use. Most tank options scale with Focus (Shield Bash, Fire Bash, Dynamo, Overload, Seismic Slam, Flame Hammer's Splinters, Emberquake's Splinters) and STR is mainly for auto attack damage (and the few other WeaponDPS skills, Flame Hammer's weapon swing, and Emberquake's weapon swing).

Ceebs

Some mix of Str+Vit and some Dex if you want to increase your dodge. If you really pump up your Vit and go with a tank build you are pretty much unkillable.

You eventually run into a point where you will need to start going 5 str per level or else it will take forever just to kill trash mobs. My lvl 60ish tank does pathetic damage, but the healbot will keep me topped off on everything but the hardest hitting bosses in the game.

taking a break until torched comes out and I can start making some of the mods I've got planned. the game is freaking great, but I have to admit to my dismay that everyone playing boredomlands right now is kind of fucking the co-op side for me.

Skunkers

taking a break until torched comes out and I can start making some of the mods I've got planned. the game is freaking great, but I have to admit to my dismay that everyone playing boredomlands right now is kind of fucking the co-op side for me.

Is there a date on that yet?

bdouble

Now level 36 and still doing act 2. So much fun . Seeing some build diversity in just playstyle. Was eith two outlanders and each of us played pretty differently with different weapon choices and skills flying around. Really starting to like the blade pact stone pact. Cant wait for the third tier skills at 42.

bdouble

Was just thinking about torched. Cant wait for just the basic stuff like more map tiles, weapon models, and just more randomness. Then of course a some new classes. I suspec tl2 to have much better mod support

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What kind of weapon speed should I be shooting for as a Sword and Board Engineer? Something that's fast, or something that is slow and hits harder?

I got my first (that exact same sword) on the doorstep of the boss, the first time I was finishing the game. :D

Must just be the first that can drop due to the level.

Y'know I'd assume these legendary weapons are honestly legendary in the world of Torchlight, right? I want to hear the story about the mad warrior who named his sword Two Thousand Maniacs and insisted on there being an exclamation point at the end (and seriously who was going to argue with him).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Did / Is anyone else having problems with the game crashing after hitting accept on the character creation and finishing the pet customization?

If so what steps did you take to resolve the issue?

The official forums are quite useless after searching there, so came here to see if anyone had a similar problem / possible solution

Is it just me or do the guns lag behind everything else in damage in this game? The only guns that make sense are the hand cannons. I am level 14 btw. What are other outlanders doing?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This sounds kind of dumb but... every time I play this game my eyes start to burn after 10 minutes of playing or so. I have no idea why this happens. I was playing a few minutes ago and stopped because it started to happen again, and I can already feel my eyes going back to normal (not burning) after quitting.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
This sounds kind of dumb but... every time I play this game my eyes start to burn after 10 minutes of playing or so. I have no idea why this happens. I was playing a few minutes ago and stopped because it started to happen again, and I can already feel my eyes going back to normal (not burning) after quitting.

Are you...blinking?

So gambling is awesome, just as addicting as it was in D2. I gambled for a 2 handed axe today in act 2 and it gave me a unique level 42 one.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I've been making a conscious effort to do so ever since I started having this problem.

I haven't really had this problem with games like Torchlight, but I won't blink for 40 minutes at a time when playing CoH and then when I do after a match is over it feels like someone threw hot tea in eyes.

Ceebs

I have shit luck with the gambler. ~_~

Some tips if you want to game it a bit. If the items with the stats you are wanting are making you wait a few levels to wear them due to stat requirements only buy the ones with the red X on them.

If you have a gem in your inventory, if you pick it up the items the gambler has with sockets will get an outline. All uniques have sockets

You will still waste all your money, but it's easier to get a higher percentage of uniques this way even if they are worthless to you. Collect 4 and transmute for another shot.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So where are you supposed to get a legendary weapon? Because I beat the game and tried to get everything before the final boss and never got one.

I've been making a conscious effort to do so ever since I started having this problem.
Did you recently start wearing contacts? Games would often make me forget to blink when I first started on them because the wet contact prevented the feeling of needing to.

aett

The same exact thing happens to me. I guess it's because everything moves so quickly, so I just focus extra hard on the monitor.

Some tips if you want to game it a bit. If the items with the stats you are wanting are making you wait a few levels to wear them due to stat requirements only buy the ones with the red X on them.

If you have a gem in your inventory, if you pick it up the items the gambler has with sockets will get an outline. All uniques have sockets

You will still waste all your money, but it's easier to get a higher percentage of uniques this way even if they are worthless to you. Collect 4 and transmute for another shot.

Oh snap. Thanks for the tips! Wish I had known that before.

Morokh

There also is a trick with the gambler that can be considered plain cheating.

Pick an item in his weapon/armor tab, keep you mouse clicked and bring it over the buy-back tab for the tab to switch.
Then put the item in one of the buy-back slots, it will get identified, and you can buy it at the buy-back price (a thousand times cheaper)

It has been stated it will be fixed in the next patch, but if you want to use it until then ...

Top Bottom