• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Ceebs

All this talk about gambling sent my NG+ character to the old gambler...and I thought I should get something my Cannon Engineer could use pretty soon...

I then got this, and was like hey my lvl 43 has those stats!

torchlight22012-09-30gsxhf.png
I am now a god.

Bah, I keep forgetting to shrink my screenshots.

Sarcasm

Man my zerker can own but hes a freak glass cannon..its hard even on vet =S

What to do? ITs annoying dying when there is more than 4 mobs.

**Something also one shots me and I have 1300 HP. And healing does nothing to migate. I just go and die.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Few images from playing tonight
New gear and pet
Zr4Nw.jpg

Uniques from tonight
LkhFW.jpg
zf8YB.jpg
Made it to act 3 with crackbabyjr (Neelek). Game's still going strong, still having as much fun as I did when I started. My Engineer's build is getting a little better after talking to exodu5 for a bit about how armor works and some specific skills.

Despite the fun, I can't shake the feeling of being a little disappointed with the randomization of uniques. I'm not exactly sure just how random everything is. Along with buying the same unique amulet twice last night, crackbabyjr gave me a unique pair of pants that I ended up finding again later on (same stats). After that he ended up getting another unique twice from the gambler. I'm not even really sure why I'm a bit bummed out by this since it's not really a big deal and because I don't have anything current to really compare it to. I never played Diablo III so I don't know how randomization of loot works in that game, but the way it was described made it sound like it was almost impossible to get the same item with the same stats twice.

Krelian

I downloaded the demo on a whim yesterday and had much fun, so I bought the full game.

My first character is a (female) outlander and I'm only reading up on skill and stat suggestions now. I feel like I already made some mistakes with putting points in vit and it seems the preferred method for the outlander class is putting many points in focus and using Glaive Sweep. Should I just play however I want or will my "poorly skilled" outlander be no match for later mobs? Normally I would just play however I want, but since I'm not really used to playing games like these I'm not sure.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
What skills should I be aiming for with Berserker? I got the default claw talent and the charge wolf heal thing. I don't know what else to put points into though, and I'd rather not fuck up my build this time. So what works for you guys?

What skills should I be aiming for with Berserker? I got the default claw talent and the charge wolf heal thing. I don't know what else to put points into though, and I'd rather not fuck up my build this time. So what works for you guys?

My Berserker Build uses Eviscerate for crowds and Raze for single enemies. Highest damage I have done with Raze is 49K dmg. However I stopped using Eviscerate in favor of Rupture + Chain Snare, but it would depend if Eviscerate is treating you well. If so, you may not want to use Rupture since Rupture is a much slower AOE type of skill. Chain Snare is still good for AOE Stun.

I never really used Howl but it looks decent at higher levels.

Once you get to the appropriate level, Battle Standard is a must. The Mana regen is soooo good. You can lay that down at the beginning of a boss battle and spam pretty much any skill you want and you will never run out of MP as along as you stay within the skill zone. Looks like there is an error in the skill calculator, so don't trust some of those numbers.

WolfShade is a must as well.

I never bother with any other offensive skill since Raze crazy dmg at high skill rank.

Once you get Battle Standard + Dervish + Raze, gg boss. If you had your charge meter filled as well, 100% crit with spammable Raze.

spiritfox

I downloaded the demo on a whim yesterday and had much fun, so I bought the full game.

My first character is a (female) outlander and I'm only reading up on skill and stat suggestions now. I feel like I already made some mistakes with putting points in vit and it seems the preferred method for the outlander class is putting many points in focus and using Glaive Sweep. Should I just play however I want or will my "poorly skilled" outlander be no match for later mobs? Normally I would just play however I want, but since I'm not really used to playing games like these I'm not sure.

The best way to play this game is however you want to. Unless you are in HC Elite or something crazy like that, you should be able to clear the game with whatever skills and attributes. Of course, Glaive Throw (not Sweep) is popular because it's basically a win button, but I'm going through Veteran with a weapon damage based Outlander and having no problem so far.

And if you do want to restart, the leveling is pretty fast in this game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Shadow Outlander kinda blows, man. I'm not sure if other builds are better but for real, it kinda sucks. I mean between Shadowlings, Shadow Shot, Repulsion Hex, and Stone Pact, you can definitely keep shit under control, but it requires so much more care.

So far this is how I play in nasty dungeons with big crowds:
1) Carefully proceed forward, constantly fighting with the edge of the viewable range and enemy fade-in.
2) Find group of enemies and shoot the weakest ones first with crossbow (longest range) hopefully generating some Shadowlings to start a contained mess.
3) Use the distraction to move into closer ranges for Shadow Shot and dual pistols (this could easily be shotgun in a different build, but dual pistols has better damage output in the end due to Akimbo)
4) If there are a bunch of enemies activate Repulsion Hex before moving forward.
5) If things really go to shit, drop a Stone Pact and make sure to have at least one point in Glaive Sweep and Rune Vault to back up crowds the hex can't control and GTFO.

It's super annoying compared to the other classes, which have far more direct means of dealing with crowds. If I don't follow these steps I can get killed pretty easily even though my dodge is 44-61% depending on charge. Yeah, that will only go up as I level up (33 now) and max dodge mastery (lvl9 now) and Shadowmantle and Shadowing Brute will help more, but I have seen how crazy shit gets later. There is no dodging 5 stacks of persistent magical AoE over the entire area you're standing.

Compare to my other games:

My Engineer barely feels a thing, has a healing bot which also boosts armor, has a shield to deploy, can use dynamo field while that is active to safely generate charge in the middle of a crowd to then upgrade the shield, has 2 protective bots plus spider mines, a massive and wide shield-destroying cannon blast, homing missiles, and a dash move. I'm pretty sure nothing has lasted even one minute under my full wrath, and I haven't come close to dying.

My berserker has insane damage output in himself, 20 dodge (at level 28), passive retaliatory damage, passive chain damage, passive health absorption based on percentage, and a healing dash move that can be infinitely chained.

My frost mage has the most brutal crowd control powers in the game, being insanely damaging, stunning and freezing large groups of enemies over a wide area, and now having an ice prison/shield I can pass through but enemies cannot. Aside from these, which tend to immobilize and kill everything outright, she also has an instant, infinite-chain, far-reaching teleport move to GTFO of the whole dungeon in about 20 seconds if she wanted to.

So with my Outlander, comparatively I have to be soooo slow and methodical about everything, and yet because the game likes to spring traps and the camera limit means you often can't see projectile-firing champions until you're within their range, you can still die pretty easily. There is also little defense against the bosses that like to ignore all your shadowling friends and just rush you down to fuck you up. You can't backflip forever and there isn't a massively armor-stripping move like icy blast w/ staff mastery.

Do non-shadow builds have a better time? I think I might have to respec this character to have any fun with it.

Ceebs

Shadow Outlander kinda blows, man. I'm not sure if other builds are better but for real, it kinda sucks. I mean between Shadowlings, Shadow Shot, Repulsion Hex, and Stone Pact, you can definitely keep shit under control, but it requires so much more care.

1) Carefully proceed forward, constantly fighting with the edge of the viewable range and enemy fade-in.
2) Find group of enemies and shoot the weakest ones first with crossbow (longest range) hopefully generating some Shadowlings to start a contained mess.
3) Use the distraction to move into closer ranges for Shadow Shot and dual pistols (this could easily be shotgun in a different build, but dual pistols has better damage output in the end due to Akimbo)
4) If there are a bunch of enemies activate Repulsion Hex before moving forward.
5) If things really go to shit, drop a Stone Pact and make sure to have at least one point in Glaive Sweep and Rune Vault to back up crowds the hex can't control and GTFO.

It's super annoying compared to the other classes, which have far more direct means of dealing with crowds. If I don't follow these steps I can get killed pretty easily even though my dodge is 44-61% depending on charge. Yeah, that will only go up as I level up (33 now) and max dodge mastery (lvl9 now) and Shadowmantle and Shadowing Brute will help more, but I have seen how crazy shit gets later. There is no dodging 5 stacks of persistent magical AoE over the entire area you're standing.

My Engineer barely feels a thing, has a healing bot which also boosts armor, has a shield to deploy, can use dynamo field while that is active to safely generate charge in the middle of a crowd to then upgrade the shield, has 2 protective bots plus spider mines, a massive and wide shield-destroying cannon blast, homing missiles, and a dash move. I'm pretty sure nothing has lasted even one minute under my full wrath, and I haven't come close to dying.

My berserker has insane damage output in himself, 20 dodge (at level 28), passive retaliatory damage, passive chain damage, passive health absorption based on percentage, and a healing dash move that can be infinitely chained.

My frost mage has the most brutal crowd control powers in the game, being insanely damaging, stunning and freezing large groups of enemies over a wide area, and now having an ice prison/shield I can pass through but enemies cannot. Aside from these, which tend to immobilize and kill everything outright, she also has an instant, infinite-chain, far-reaching teleport move to GTFO of the whole dungeon in about 20 seconds if she wanted to.

So with my Outlander, comparatively I have to be soooo slow and methodical about everything, and yet because the game likes to spring traps and the camera limit means you often can't see projectile-firing champions until you're within their range, you can still die pretty easily. There is also little defense against the bosses that like to ignore all your shadowling friends and just rush you down to fuck you up. You can't backflip forever and there isn't a massively armor-stripping move like icy blast w/ staff mastery.

Do non-shadow builds have a better time? I think I might have to respec this character to have any fun with it.

The constant need to babysit your minions uptime turned me off the class/build too. I realized very quickly that it was totally not for me.

Sarcasm

So if i want to go s&s on my engy i am going to have to start a completely new toon? I put a lot of time into current obe and i like the spec..just would like to see how ss would do.

Krelian

The best way to play this game is however you want to. Unless you are in HC Elite or something crazy like that, you should be able to clear the game with whatever skills and attributes. Of course, Glaive Throw (not Sweep) is popular because it's basically a win button, but I'm going through Veteran with a weapon damage based Outlander and having no problem so far.

And if you do want to restart, the leveling is pretty fast in this game.
Thanks. I'll just have fun then :)

Dice

The constant need to babysit your minions uptime turned me off the class/build too. I realized very quickly that it was totally not for me.
omg have you seen this wand/pistol poison build? http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=38219

That's so crazy.

Edit: It might also be the only way to make a good poison build. I'm trying to figure out how to do it with guns and it's so hard. Your stats and skill points just get split up too much. It's bad enough working out how it'll be at level 100, but figuring out progression of distribution to survive that long is just ridiculous. Is Stone Pact really the only ability that heals you?

Edit 2: Fuck it, I'm just going to cheat skill points to play poison style without being nerfed all to hell because of the poorly thought out abilities and stat distribution. The nerf from stat spread and the need to concentrate on utilizing so many moves will make it bad enough that I'll probably still have a hard time even when cheating.

Check it: Outlander 75/90/45

spirity

So I have a collar that has 1% increase in magic-finding luck. But when I equip it on my pet, my magic find stays at 12. Do stats like that not get shared?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's a good change after Act 2. I like some of the Dungeons in A2, but the overworld is BORING.

Kinda have to agree. Too much sand for too long. I didn't care that much, because I was just killing things the whole time, but yeah.

Getting to Act III is so refreshing, though. That must've been on purpose.

demidar

This has probably been brought up before, but TL -> TL2 is really like D1 -> D2. Area progression where applicable is pretty similar from grasslands to desert to jungle; graduating from having multi-leveled dungeon from its predecessor; traversing an open area with a town per act; improvements to every facet of the game
and taking a really long time to develop lol

Still really enjoying the game even in act 3, but playing a Berserker in Veteran is masochistic. I literally cannot survive without all the ranks I poured into lifesteal/health regen skills (wolf charge, shadow summon and dual wield with high execute chance with health gain on crit).

Danny Dudekisser

This has probably been brought up before, but TL -> TL2 is really like D1 -> D2. Area progression where applicable is pretty similar from grasslands to desert to jungle; graduating from having multi-leveled dungeon from its predecessor; traversing an open area with a town per act; improvements to every facet of the game
and taking a really long time to develop lol

Still really enjoying the game even in act 3, but playing a Berserker in Veteran is masochistic. I literally cannot survive without all the ranks I poured into lifesteal/health regen skills (wolf charge, shadow summon and dual wield with high execute chance with health gain on crit).

The best thing I learned to do as a Berserker is know when to upgrade your healing items. It's a depressing fact of life that the potions that got you through tough spots in Act II just won't heal you quickly enough in Act III.

At least, that's been my experience from the 20 minutes of Act III I've played (also on Veteran.)

demidar

The best thing I learned to do as a Berserker is know when to upgrade your healing items. It's a depressing fact of life that the potions that got you through tough spots in Act II just won't heal you quickly enough in Act III.

At least, that's been my experience from the 20 minutes of Act III I've played (also on Veteran.)

Agreed, I'm getting my ass whooped by werewolves since they are fast and attack in packs so I need to rely on Shadow Burst (rank 10) to get my health up and for my summons to take the heat off me.

Dice

If you do find spells, don't use any of the summon spells for yourself. Give those to your pet. They launch them constantly and still have plenty of mana to spare. Your pet's minions also do the same damage as your pet, so it's like getting 3-4 more pets for free (I would recommend heal all for one slot) which is useful for any class.

Danny Dudekisser

If you do find spells, don't use any of the summon spells for yourself. Give those to your pet. They launch them constantly and still have plenty of mana to spare. Your pet's minions also do the same damage as your pet, so it's like getting 3-4 more pets for free (I would recommend heal all for one slot) which is useful for any class.

Wait... are you fuckin' serious? You can give your pet spells?

This game.

This fucking game.

Most people will agree that focus-based outlander is one of the best characters in this game, and that non-focus based builds are a lot weaker as you have to distribute the stats points evenly. Glaive Throw becomes ridiculous once your focus becomes very high, while Cursed Daggers is the Outlander's best crowd control tool and a very good and cheap one.

But yeah the shadowlings are mediocre, since if you build an Outlander correctly you should be killing things too quickly to need the shadowlings. The shadowlings seem to be bugged too and not spawning as much as advertised.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Spells on pets is awesome. I just give all the summon stuff to my bulldog, MC Gusto, and he rolls 'em out once it's time to bust some heads. Running around with a gang of minions cracks me up.

My Berserker Build uses Eviscerate for crowds and Raze for single enemies. Highest damage I have done with Raze is 49K dmg. However I stopped using Eviscerate in favor of Rupture + Chain Snare, but it would depend if Eviscerate is treating you well. If so, you may not want to use Rupture since Rupture is a much slower AOE type of skill. Chain Snare is still good for AOE Stun.

I never really used Howl but it looks decent at higher levels.

Once you get to the appropriate level, Battle Standard is a must. The Mana regen is soooo good. You can lay that down at the beginning of a boss battle and spam pretty much any skill you want and you will never run out of MP as along as you stay within the skill zone. Looks like there is an error in the skill calculator, so don't trust some of those numbers.

WolfShade is a must as well.

I never bother with any other offensive skill since Raze crazy dmg at high skill rank.

Once you get Battle Standard + Dervish + Raze, gg boss. If you had your charge meter filled as well, 100% crit with spammable Raze.

Very informative. Thanks man, this helps a lot.

kagete

This sounds kind of dumb but... every time I play this game my eyes start to burn after 10 minutes of playing or so. I have no idea why this happens. I was playing a few minutes ago and stopped because it started to happen again, and I can already feel my eyes going back to normal (not burning) after quitting.

The colors mostly pop in this game so maybe try a cooler temperature on your monitor or just lower gamma and contrast in general.

demidar

Holy crap I just found out that you can summon multiple times from scrolls without having the previous one destroyed. My plan now is to build a skeleton army.

Izayoi

Banned
Holy crap I just found out that you can summon multiple times from scrolls without having the previous one destroyed. My plan now is to build a skeleton army.
My pet builds a skeleton army for me! Too bad about the archers being rooted in place, though.

demidar

When I can find some more summon spells I'm gonna give them to my pet, then myself. Shame there's no dedicated scroll salesman.

Wunder

Probably not the best place to ask this but I recently got the TL2 itch and wanted to check it out and was wondering if anyone else wanted to jump in on a 4 pack? I already have two other friends so I am just looking for one more, PM me if you're checking out this OT but haven't bought the game!

Dice

Yessss... wand and shield now a viable option for the times I just need more defense.

ilcD19FvDm6A7.jpg

Also frost mage is soooo satisfying! Trolls? Ice cage. Teleporting witches? I can teleport more, bitch! Small critters all over the ground & air? Hailstorm, motherfuckers! Need to use shield? Go head, your spell power is not affected. Asshole rushing you down? Teleport. Asshole running away? Teleport. Have a lot of backtracking to do? Teleport. Need to take down a boss or champion really fast? Icy blast with staff mastery. Everyone running around in a chaotic mess? Hailstorm to stun and freeze then spam frost waves.

And I still have yet to get my ally! The dynamics of combat with frost mage is so fun. It's not as "just stand here and everything is blown to smithereens" like the cannon engineer, not as direct as berserker, and doesn't need to be paranoid like the (non-glaive) Outlander.

scy

When I can find some more summon spells I'm gonna give them to my pet, then myself. Shame there's no dedicated scroll salesman.

The Rare Goods vendor in town sells scrolls and socketables. Granted, it's like one or two per inventory refresh.

Sarcasm

Whats considered must have skills for a tanking engy?

So far I have choosen

5/15 Healbot
5/15 Shield Bash
7/15 Bulwark
7/15 sword and board

Dice

I'm not sure Bulwark is needed if you have Forcefield and Dynamo Field. Nothing has been able to break my forcefield before I could reinforce it.

demidar

The Rare Goods vendor in town sells scrolls and socketables. Granted, it's like one or two per inventory refresh.

I just checked and found a Summon Skeleton IV, excellent. Then I gave it to my pet and found out they can't spam the spell. Fuck.

Top Bottom