• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
*DOTs now correctly calculate bonuses from +DMG%

I must have skipped over this when I initially read the patch notes. I didn't even realize it was bugged in the first place. My Magma Spear is about to get an incredible boost.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
*Creating a player in a difficulty other than Normal, directly joining a game, and then exiting, won't revert your stored difficulty to Normal.
*Fixed some display issues with Fame level progress
*Shadowling procs from wand chaos or weapon affixes properly last 20 seconds instead of 3
I knew I wasn't crazy.

*Berserker Retaliation can only trigger once per second per given target – and no longer procs/leeches
*Spider Mine summon duration fixed
NOOOOOOOOOOO

*Several boss rooms have had structural changes to make it more difficult to cheese them with certain skills
Early Outlander is fucked.

So I played the hell out of Torchlight 1 and bought TL2 the day the pre-order popped up on Steam but I haven't been able to get into it, I've tried 3 of the classes and about 4 hours or so of gameplay.

I don't know man I think Diablo 3 not only ruined it's own franchise(for me), but simultaneously made me dislike games like these. I literally kept the Steam receipt in my inbox for the entire time just to hype myself daily for the release, even through D3.

Feels bad bro.

Don't feel too bad, I can't get into this game either. Something about the entire experience just feels dull and tedious to me. I'm some ways into act 2 and I don't have the slightest clue what's going on in the story, nor do I care. The gameplay and sense of progression from leveling is practically non existent. I've been using auto attack and the flaming shot skill for 30 levels, and I've heard that fusillade at 35 is shitty, so I'm not really looking forward to that. The healing bot and forcefield are boring (but effective), and every other skill is just unappealing and worthless. I invest most of my levels into passives because nothing else is worth a damn.

Diablo 3 didn't putter out for me until I hit max level and had nothing else left to look forward too. This game is committing that cardinal sin FAR earlier: I'm just not looking forward to skill, attribute or gear progression. I played the berserker in the beta back in may and felt about the same, but I was hoping that things might have changed a bit in the intervening months. I must say that I was wrong, and that this is a rare example of a game that I regret buying. It's just a tiring and disappointing experience on the whole for me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
OByP7.jpg

Now if that isnt the most useful pair of skills I have ever seen on a melee/claw weapon.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
There is a gun that goes with that.

Are there builds that even make sense with 1H melee 1H ranged? Most skills I saw are for 2 1H of the same kind, like the execute stuff.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Are there builds that even make sense with 1H melee 1H ranged? Most skills I saw are for 2 1H of the same kind, like the execute stuff.
Well Let's look at them...

Bulletfist
-98 to All Armor per hit
10% chance to Freeze for 5 seconds
2% increase in magic-finding Luck
+20% Ranged Weapon Damage bonus
+1m to Bow, Crossbow, Pistol and Wand range

Fist Bullet
+20% Melee Weapon Damage bonus
Charge rate increased by 15%
9% reduction in Fumble Chance
Silence for 3 seconds
2% increase in the amount of experienced gained

Set: Bullet Fist
2 items: +12% Ranged Weapon Damage bonus
2 items: +12% Melee Weapon Damage bonus

That's quite a lot of bonus. I think it should make up for lost execute chance. I would say it's probably intended for an Engineer.

Anyone else playing with the Increased monster draw distance mod?

I feel it really improves the game.
My Outlander weeps for joy.

Toma

Well Let's look at them...
That's quite a lot of bonus. I think it should make up for lost execute chance. I would say it's probably intended for an Engineer.

Ah, true. Thanks for answering.

Outlander actually got buffed big time, Rapid fire and Venomous Hail now works on damage per second instead of damage per shot and they are a lot better, with more viable builts. Wandlander got buffed too with wands now benefitting from Long Range Mastery. Gun + shield, wand + shield and wand + gun are now going to be the staple for Outlanders in Elite.

Except in doing so they destroyed another build, the one using shotgonnes since their damage is higher than their DPS. So now there is literally no reason to use 2H ranged weapons at all in any build.

Krabboss

Except in doing so they destroyed another build, the one using shotgonnes since their damage is higher than their DPS. So now there is literally no reason to use 2H ranged weapons at all in any build.
DPS isn't just what it says it on the weapon itself. If you go into your character stats and check the stats of your weapons, it will show their DPS after everything has been calculated. For example, my Engi's weapon says its DPS is ~1200 but my DPS on the character stats screen is somewhere around 8500.

DPS isn't just what it says it on the weapon itself. If you go into your character stats and check the stats of your weapons, it will show their DPS after everything has been calculated. For example, my Engi's weapon says its DPS is ~1200 but my DPS on the character stats screen is somewhere around 8500.

This does not change anything about what I was saying.

Pistols do lower damage but attack faster. If you do 500 damage but can attack twice in one second, your DPS is 1000.

Shotgonnes do higher damage but attack slower. If you do 2000 damage but can only attack once every 2 seconds, your DPS is 1000.

Using the above examples, skills that deal "100% of weapon damage" would do 500 and 2000 respectively. Skills that deal "100% of weapon DPS" would do 1000 damage for both.

So changing Rapid Fire and Venomous Hail to DPS instead of damage is a pretty huge nerf to the only viable shotgonne build.

2H ranged (particularly bows/crossbows) aren't worth it because they don't deal much more damage, or even any more damage, than dual wielding pistols. Two pistols means twice the modifiers, enchantments and sockets. Or you can go one pistol and a shield and you still meet the requirement for having a ranged weapon and can use all your skills along with up to 50% block.

Krabboss

This does not change anything about what I was saying.

Pistols do lower damage but attack faster. If you do 500 damage but can attack twice in one second, your DPS is 1000.

Shotgonnes do higher damage but attack slower. If you do 2000 damage but can only attack once every 2 seconds, your DPS is 1000.

Using the above examples, skills that deal "100% of weapon damage" would do 500 and 2000 respectively. Skills that deal "100% of weapon DPS" would do 1000 damage for both.

So changing Rapid Fire and Venomous Hail to DPS instead of damage is a pretty huge nerf to the only viable shotgonne build.

2H ranged (particularly bows/crossbows) aren't worth it because they don't deal much more damage, or even any more damage, than dual wielding pistols. Two pistols means twice the modifiers, enchantments and sockets. Or you can go one pistol and a shield and you still meet the requirement for having a ranged weapon and can use all your skills along with up to 50% block.

I understand that DPS means damage per second. I understand how those calculations are made.

Anyway, I might be confused. I'll have to look into it, but I don't really care to. I haven't played my outlander in a while since I've been finding it pretty boring. I'm excited about the change to DPS anyway, since it means those two skills will deal a lot more damage with the right setup. Before, they were garbage compared to other skills.

I must be doing something very wrong. Whenever I see you guys posting screens it looks like you don't use that many skills. My Engy at 30 something has a full bar of skills I mess with. Should I be using less and just upgrading the few I use?

v0mitg0d

Hi Gaf!

I'm back with a new interview with Max Schaefer. As some of you'll recall I interviewed Max back at E3 and we talked about bunch lot of cool things, including his time at Blizzard working on Diablo 3 many moons ago.

Well I sat down with Max again a few days after Torchlight 2 launched and we discussed: Torchlight 2 sales, how powerful the mod tools really are, will TL2 on the Mac make 2012, player cheating, working on Diablo 3, open-multiplayer vs secure-multiplayer, Claptrap and Minecraft cameos in TL2, PvP, Torchlight 3, Torchlight 2 on next gen consoles, Sci-Fi ARPGs and if he'll ever make that Torchlight/Minecraft hybrid he told me about at E3 this year.

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/32824468588/max-schaefer-torchlight2-launch-interview

With Diablo 3 we wanted to do an MMO, a shared world. As I recall—and this was a million years ago—we didn’t have a whole lot of instancing in the plans. It was going to be a true, big MMO world but with Diablo sensibilities and controls.

We wouldn’t be able to do a $20 game of this size while running servers and trying to maintain a secure economy. It just doesn’t happen, and so that’s why you have $60 boxes for things like that.

I think people are panicking because they’re thinking about Diablo 3 and what it might be like if you could cheat—and yeah it would be chaos—but that’s only in the context of having a competitive economy.

we wanted to make sure it was the proper Claptrap [design] and they were very very cool about it, as was Notch regarding the Minecraft stuff. It’s just fun to see that stuff happen.

That’s kind of part of the deal with Torchlight. It was really really fun making Torchlight 2 so I suspect we’ll never get too far from that but we definitely want to put a twist on it for the next thing.

Lots more at the link too...hope you guys enjoy, I'm proud of this one! :)

Cheers,
-Mark

(Does this deserve it's own thread? Not sure, you guys decide. I don't think I can create new threads anyways).

Ok, fixed a few type-o's and such. Thanks guys!

scy

Just to note, as far as the game is concerned, WeaponDPS is what it is on your weapon, not the Arcane Statistics screen.

I understand that DPS means damage per second. I understand how those calculations are made.

Anyway, I might be confused. I'll have to look into it, but I don't really care to. I haven't played my outlander in a while since I've been finding it pretty boring. I'm excited about the change to DPS anyway, since it means those two skills will deal a lot more damage with the right setup. Before, they were garbage compared to other skills.

Venomous Hail was pretty good. Rapid Fire wasn't mostly due to using Guns was just worse than a Focus build and Wands don't (/didn't?) work with Rapid Fire.

But, as far as the change is concerned, it's a nerf to 2H Outlanders, a buff to 1H Outlanders. Basically, the slower the weapon, the better Venomous Hail was due to how it calculated damage. Now, it just needs a good weapon, regardless of weapon speed.

Miletius

I must be doing something very wrong. Whenever I see you guys posting screens it looks like you don't use that many skills. My Engy at 30 something has a full bar of skills I mess with. Should I be using less and just upgrading the few I use?

I use plenty of skills, but it is true that many builds only really rely on a couple of core skills and loads of passives. I have 1 point in quite a few skills that I'll only use in specific situations. Ember Hammer, Ember Reach, whatever that jetpack skill is called.

Shawn6661

About the difficulty, if i do a first run on "normal", will i be able to change to "veteran" for a second run or do i have to restart with another character in "veteran" ?

Wunder

Thank god for the gambler fix, I can actually play this game now. Decided to respec my Pbolt mage, the nerf was enough to make me switch since I wasn't really feeling it anyway and I misplaced a few points here and there. Hopefully I can actually put points where I feel like and have fun!

Wunder

About the difficulty, if i do a first run on "normal", will i be able to change to "veteran" for a second run or do i have to restart with another character in "veteran" ?

I think you can create a multiplayer game and set that difficulty to veteran, but there's no way to change your SP difficulty AFAIK. I suggest you start on Veteran if you have any experience with hack n slash RPGs though.

garath

I just re-rolled my Outlander to do a focus based build and they nerf the Glaive :(

At least it looks like wand + gun dual wield is still pretty viable. I've been having a rough time of it early though so it does still suck. I'm not dying, but it takes quite a bit of kiting to kill the bosses and I run out of mana frequently. My pistols do squat damage with no str.

Oh well.

scy

I just re-rolled my Outlander to do a focus based build and they nerf the Glaive :(

At least it looks like wand + gun dual wield is still pretty viable. I've been having a rough time of it early though so it does still suck. I'm not dying, but it takes quite a bit of kiting to kill the bosses and I run out of mana frequently. My pistols do squat damage with no str.

Oh well.

For what it's worth, the Glaive nerf isn't that significant. It basically forces 5/15 even harder, though. Going beyond that is really a terrible, terrible idea.

SteveWD40

Been playing the demo, finally clicked with me once I started a Berzerker, the skills really appeal to me (self heal on crits, badass wolf looking stuff), question:

I recall reading that when you buy the game on Steam the demo becomes the full game, is that right? also can I keep playing the guy I have now? not the end of the world, just curious.

Miker

New patch: http://store.steampowered.com/news/9023/

Torchlight II Product Update
Product Update - Valve 13:47
Patch 1.12.5.7 Notes
FUNCTIONAL
*Shared stash now creates a backup of itself
*You can no longer 'steal' items from your buyback tab by closing the window with Spacebar
*Can’t drag merchant items onto the buyback tab
*Gambler does not show 'can't equip' X
*CTRL-M will instantly toggle map visibility
*Pet equipment cannot get sockets from enchantment
*Fixed rare crash related to Charming a monster
*Multiplayer logging is reduced, and can be disabled with the NEVERLOG console command (may improve performance for some clients)
*Creating a player in a difficulty other than Normal, directly joining a game, and then exiting, won't revert your stored difficulty to Normal.
*Confirmation box added for quitting without saving
*Fixed a few rare hardware related crashes
*Particle update optimizations
*Various rendering optimizations

GAMEPLAY
*Fixed an issue in multiplayer where non-killing MP players did not receive appropriate XP falloff due to level delta
*Armor Degrade properties now apply properly - degrade armor values were reduced for newly generated item properties to compensate for them working correctly - but don't worry, they will be better than before!
*Zero walkspeed monsters won't attempt to jump down
*Fixed some display issues with Fame level progress
*Wandering (non-town-based) Enchanters have a slightly better range of enchantment strengths. They also now have an approximately 20% chance to get a 'powerful enchantment', which are about 50% better than normal. This is represented by a sound and text message in game.
*Swamp Flier scream debuff will show an appropriate name on debuff icon
*Creep squish blood now has a censored version
*Fixed a few areas where loot from a specific event spawned publicly
*Fixed a few spelling errors
*Act 4 banner should properly display
*Pets can be sent to town from the last 2 boss rooms
*Fixed an issue where occasionally an errant MOUSEUP event could ignore your attack in extremely fast click situations
*DOTs now correctly calculate bonuses from +DMG%
*XP and Fame %bonuses from gear are now capped at +/- 100%
*HP bonus gear will properly be reflected in final health of player to other clients post-zoning
*Game can be saved at any time from the options menu
*Onscreen notification in bottom right of screen when saving takes place
*Console-created items now have an effect that displays that they were cheat-created
*Damage reduction effects on the player are capped to 75%
*Stat expenditures when leveling up are properly synchronized in multiplayer
*When leveling up, your health is properly recalculated on other clients
*Skill cycle keys can now be bound to mouse buttons
*Transmuted items are no longer destroyed if an inventory is full with no place to accept them
SKILLS
*Berserkers are still targetable while performing Savage Rush
*Bramble walls and Ice Prison will properly die offscreen, and if the originator leaves the zone
*Battle Standard's properties are properly exclusive (they don't stack)
*Fixed charged versions of Fire Bash from levels 9-15 using the incorrect effects (weaker when charged!)
*Howl duration fixed (Extended)
*Berserker Wolf Shade master healing property was reduced from 5%+5% per rank to 5% + 2% per rank - and the first rank properly provides healing
*Vortex Hex won't target smashables
*Fixed two ranks of Seismic Slam incorrectly doing electrical damage
*Glaive Throw has had a damage nerf (25% reduction in max damage and decreased growth per rank ) with less additional bounces per tier
*Elemental attunement properly benefits from owner’s level
*Elemental Boon should properly speed up cast time on last rank
*Shadowbind should properly rank up duration
*Blast Cannon’s armor reduction effect no longer stacks and works for both fire and physical damage
*Fixed sped up hitframe for male shield skill anim so that it is never skipped when a subsequent skill is queued
*Outlander Long Range Mastery should now affect wands as well
*Prismatic Bolt gains charge at half the previous rate
*Spider Mines should show debuff icons
*Spider Mine summon duration fixed
*Shadowling procs from wand chaos or weapon affixes properly last 20 seconds instead of 3
*Elemental Attunement shouldn’t attack smashables
*Tremor rank 6 should properly perform its charged effect
*Immobilization Copter damage effect shouldn’t stomp on other damage effects
*Berserker Retaliation can only trigger once per second per given target – and no longer procs/leeches
*Rapid Fire and Venomous Hail now use DPS instead of Damage

SCRIPTING
*Fixed some issues with Grom's arena in multiplayer when another player speaks to the NPC while the main area is completed
*Several boss rooms have had structural changes to make it more difficult to cheese them with certain skills
*Various minor level scripting or layout repairs
*Fixed farmable Gel phasebeast room so that XP gain isn't overblown
*Fixed various other farmable phasebeast unitspawners which incorrectly granted XP
*Fixed a few areas where the player could get stuck

NETWORKING
*Fixed a case where backlog of messages for resend would escalate and disconnect the client
*Friends-only games are fixed to synch correctly across lobbies
*Fixes for various serverside issues
*Erroneous ‘Connection Failed’ messages should be fixed
*Games can now be filtered near your level

GRAPHICAL
*Many wardrobe tweaks and fixes

BORING
*Various alterations were made to better support translated versions of the game, and to detect and deal with other language items during trading

So my game seems to have "forgotten" an area I've been through. I placed a waypoint before I quit out that was still there today, but all of the monsters are back and my map is blank. I'm not sure what happened.

Been playing the demo, finally clicked with me once I started a Berzerker, the skills really appeal to me (self heal on crits, badass wolf looking stuff), question:

I recall reading that when you buy the game on Steam the demo becomes the full game, is that right? also can I keep playing the guy I have now? not the end of the world, just curious.

I think someone said there is a button in-game for purchasing the full version? And that you can keep your dude.

But I'll wait for someone else to confirm...

big_erk

Just finished my first playthrough, getting ready to start a NG+. Love this game. It pulled me away from Guild Wars 2 though, I need to get back on that. Runic has made one of my contenders for GOTY, and all for less than $20.00.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
For all the optimizations they seem to be doing, I haven't noticed any increase in frame rate.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Interesting. Glad I'm not crazy then.

I'm 100% aware my computer is shit, but I've been able to play more demanding games with much better performance.

scy

Combat Log causes a ridiculous amount of FPS drops. It's absurd.

On another note, the "buff to Armor degrade" seems to be ... them nerfing it. It doesn't stack nearly as well as it used to. I used to be able to shred Armor to 0 regardless of the starting value, it seems to now be limited to however many swings you get in a 5s interval (the duration of the shred).

Means that I need to make a lot of adjustments to my test setup for Armor shred.

Edit: Also, console items seem to be flagged now. Neat. My test characters are now all officially cheaters!

Top Bottom