• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

sixghost

Combat Log causes a ridiculous amount of FPS drops. It's absurd.

On another note, the "buff to Armor degrade" seems to be ... them nerfing it. It doesn't stack nearly as well as it used to. I used to be able to shred Armor to 0 regardless of the starting value, it seems to now be limited to however many swings you get in a 5s interval (the duration of the shred).

Means that I need to make a lot of adjustments to my test setup for Armor shred.

Edit: Also, console items seem to be flagged now. Neat. My test characters are now all officially cheaters!

It seems like only if they are created after the patch.

MechaX

I'm at level 21 with an Embermage and the game has been fun so far... My character is essentially a glass canon, but prismatic bolt does a shit load of damage on everything (once the charge bar has been filled, using prismatic bolts + frost phase has been enough to take care of any tough enemy). Combine that with how my base level Magma Spear is more than enough to build charge with minimal MP use, plus doing decent damage, and well.. yeah.

But I dunno what to really spend skill points on. I have been spending most of my points on Charge, Staff Mastery (or whatever that was called), and Prismatic bolt. I have heard that Elemental Boon was pretty good, as were the spells that add additional damage if you hit a burnt/electrified/frozen enemy. But outside of prismatic bolt, I dunno what other attacking spell to invest in.

I also have the luck on getting so much rare/unique equipment for other classes. Doesn't really seem like I have gotten cool mage-only gear yet, but I dunno.

kafiend

I'm at level 21 with an Embermage and the game has been fun so far... My character is essentially a glass canon, but prismatic bolt does a shit load of damage on everything (once the charge bar has been filled, using prismatic bolts + frost phase has been enough to take care of any tough enemy). Combine that with how my base level Magma Spear is more than enough to build charge with minimal MP use, plus doing decent damage, and well.. yeah.

But I dunno what to really spend skill points on. I have been spending most of my points on Charge, Staff Mastery (or whatever that was called), and Prismatic bolt. I have heard that Elemental Boon was pretty good, as were the spells that add additional damage if you hit a burnt/electrified/frozen enemy. But outside of prismatic bolt, I dunno what other attacking spell to invest in.

I also have the luck on getting so much rare/unique equipment for other classes. Doesn't really seem like I have gotten cool mage-only gear yet, but I dunno.

This might give you an idea or two. Remember there will be several types of viable builds based on what you want to achieve so don't worry too much about thinking you have a "broken" build :). http://www.pcgamer.com/tag/torchlight-2/

Luthos

Well know that you can pretty much use prismatic bolt and only prismatic bolt. So if you don't care about min/maxing, invest in something that seems fun.

I personally have a lot of fun with the Frost Wave spell. Right now it only has 3 waves. But maxed out it will have 5 waves, which should be insane. It already is ridiculously good against groups.

I always like using Flame Pillars. It's nice to use once, and while they do their homing thing, I can move on doing other stuff.

Another one I like is the Frost Pillar Prison thing. It's nice to trap elite/champions to give me a bit of room.

Also, I use the Death's Bounty, and it pretty much negates potion use besides those rare "holy shit I'm at 2% health all of a sudden" moments.

fresquito

I'm really, really upset that my map was reset after last update. Why is this shit happening? I wanted to play yesterday, saw the map totally uncovered, sighed and started exploring, found a portal beast, killed it, entered, just to face again the lame phase where millions of slimes take the game to a crawl, while hit detection and pointing stops functioning properly and you die, die, die because the hero won't respond to your commands because the game is crawling, even when you have an i5.

I quit and I don't plan on going back until they fix this shit.

Raide

Picked this up yesterday. I now have way too many loot games to play. :D

Played Engi in the Beta, so I carried on with that for the full version. Still enjoyable.

Any graphical tweaks for this? I have it running smooth and 1080p but it looks a little fluffy. Anything out there to clean and sharpen things up a bit?

I'm really, really upset that my map was reset after last update. Why is this shit happening? I wanted to play yesterday, saw the map totally uncovered, sighed and started exploring, found a portal beast, killed it, entered, just to face again the lame phase where millions of slimes take the game to a crawl, while hit detection and pointing stops functioning properly and you die, die, die because the hero won't respond to your commands because the game is crawling, even when you have an i5.

I quit and I don't plan on going back until they fix this shit.
The reroll usually to fix things. It happened because of a bug

kamspy

Bought this game yesterday and it's so cash.

Actually happy I got in at full price considering I put about 150 hrs into TL1 and paid like $4 for it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
And I was actually excited to have finally unlocked Fusillade....

*pressed right mouse button on enemy*

EXPLAIN_THIS.jpg

Bought this game yesterday and it's so cash.

Actually happy I got in at full price considering I put about 150 hrs into TL1 and paid like $4 for it.

We should run in sometime.

If you create a respec potion with the console on one character and give it to another via the shared items chest will it flag the character who uses it as a cheater?

Could anyone suggest what to spend my stat points on for an outlander? I just started this character.

I am playing on going with dual pistols, or maybe pistol+shield. Thanks.

Ocho

Quick question:

If I join a friend's lvl 10 game (I'm a 38 engineer), will the difficulty increase because I'm higher level+ or will it only increase as it normally should because there's an extra player?

KingKong

Not giving the option to full respec (perhaps at the Mapworks zone so people will have to beat the game first) is crazy, especially when they're balancing skills

It limits the game so much too, you basically have to take general skills since putting points in the skill for sword + shield, for example, means youre less likely to switch weapon types later

I've just been doing Mapworks dungeons for funzies, thinking of waiting for some mods to play through the campaign on ng+, would love something that gives enemies more crazy skills/affixes

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
But if you could customize your build you wouldn't have any individuality! [/actual ruinic statement]

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The end of this game felt pretty weak. After you fight the
Alchemist
everything up to the
Netherlord fight
was fucking obnoxious. Everything teleports and drains your mana. Ended up just running through that area.

Map works is pretty damn underwhelming. I was under the impression that I would be able to craft my own my by picking and choosing different properties for whatever reason. Not exactly sure what my new goal is going to be after completing the game. I'd like to get some legendaries, but it feels a little pointless.

Are there legendary armor sets for each class, or are there only legendary weapons?

Quick question:

If I join a friend's lvl 10 game (I'm a 38 engineer), will the difficulty increase because I'm higher level+ or will it only increase as it normally should because there's an extra player?

I believe it just scale with host difficulty + any additional players. Which would result in Health and Damage boost for the monsters/boss.

Not giving the option to full respec (perhaps at the Mapworks zone so people will have to beat the game first) is crazy, especially when they're balancing skills

It limits the game so much too, you basically have to take general skills since putting points in the skill for sword + shield, for example, means youre less likely to switch weapon types later

I've just been doing Mapworks dungeons for funzies, thinking of waiting for some mods to play through the campaign on ng+, would love something that gives enemies more crazy skills/affixes

Make an alt character so your main wont get marked as a cheater, enable console, spawn a respec potion, put in shared stash for the main.

KingKong

I've played for almost 14 hours and haven't found a single legendary item yet, am I unlucky or are they just that rare?

I find plenty of rares, uniques, set items, etc

I've played for almost 14 hours and haven't found a single legendary item yet, am I unlucky or are they just that rare?

I find plenty of rares, uniques, set items, etc

I might be wrong but I think the legendaries are only high-level items. I finished the game at 51 and didn't see any.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Level 33, finally got a rare greathammer.

Paladins_Fist.jpg

Where do I find some Dwarves?

What are the general impressions of this game? I may go on a buying spree next week and pick up this and RE6.

Skip RE6, nosedive into TL2.

Okay, some engineer build help please:

I'm currently lvl 49, going 2handers, and here are the skills I am maxing:
Flame Hammer
Heavy Lifting
Supercharge
Healing Bot
Bulwark
Aegis of Fate

My stats are completely even going between Str and Vit, nothing in Dex and Foc

Any suggestions on other skills (active or passive) to start leveling?

Should I keep going the way I'm going with my stats or change it up?

MasLegio

Banned
the alchemist must be one of the worst end bosses levels I have ever played these last 5 years I think.

lazy designed and annoying to play

scy

Does mana/health on hit work with skills? Like %weapon damage skills?

As far as I can tell, this is mostly on a skill-by-skill basis. One that is actually a physical weapon swing may use it? Honestly, I'm not sure.

Okay, some engineer build help please:

What difficulty? Aegis of Fate is basically outclassed always by Forcefield, though Casual-Normal should have no issue with Aegis of Fate and Veteran should be rough with it but not impossible.

Onslaught is worth getting 1 or 5 points into. It's a great way to engage into fights and debuff enemies. Dynamo Field is great to have maybe 5 points in to generate Charge faster for you. I'm also a fan of Immobilization Copter for the debuff as well.

As for stats, you should probably have just done 4 STR/1 DEX. VIT doesn't really scale well. The best survivability bonus from VIT is the better Armor you can equip, not from anything that VIT is really giving you per level.

As far as I can tell, this is mostly on a skill-by-skill basis. One that is actually a physical weapon swing may use it? Honestly, I'm not sure.

What difficulty? Aegis of Fate is basically outclassed always by Forcefield, though Casual-Normal should have no issue with Aegis of Fate and Veteran should be rough with it but not impossible.

Onslaught is worth getting 1 or 5 points into. It's a great way to engage into fights and debuff enemies. Dynamo Field is great to have maybe 5 points in to generate Charge faster for you. I'm also a fan of Immobilization Copter for the debuff as well.

As for stats, you should probably have just done 4 STR/1 DEX. VIT doesn't really scale well. The best survivability bonus from VIT is the better Armor you can equip, not from anything that VIT is really giving you per level.

Difficulty is Veteran. Is it a waste to start building Forcefield now? Would that be overkill?

Also, should I just start putting points into Dex now and stop pumping Vit?

So sick of Wow already and coming back to this. I'm only level 25 and in A2 on normal it seems. What level are most people when they finish the first play through?

MasLegio

Banned
whats up with me not being able to play the game if I am not online?

I was offline when I started T2 but no play button appeared so I could not play the game.

people hated on Diablo 3 for this, yet I have not heard anything about Torchlight 2 requiring internet to run.

whats up with me not being able to play the game if I am not online?

I was offline when I started T2 but no play button appeared so I could not play the game.

people hated on Diablo 3 for this, yet I have not heard anything about Torchlight 2 requiring internet to run.

The game works perfectly fine offline. The only reason I can see it not being so is if you got it on Steam and the issue is with Steam's Offline Mode.

MasLegio

Banned
The game works perfectly fine offline. The only reason I can see it not being so is if you got it on Steam and the issue is with Steam's Offline Mode.

no I bought it of Runic games and do not run it off steam

If I start the launcher while I am offline I just get the launcher but cannot start the actual game. The Play Game button is missing and there is a text noting that I am offline.
Is there a fix for this?

Also, any tips for transmuting ember?

I usually end up with worse ember than I begin with. Often I end up with Chaos Ember Chip, with is useless for my class.

Top Bottom