• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Log4Girlz

How much better than the first one would you folks say this game is? I couldn't finish the first one. I never played the Diablo series and I'm starting to think this genre isn't my cup of tea.

MasLegio

Banned
How much better than the first one would you folks say this game is? I couldn't finish the first one. I never played the Diablo series and I'm starting to think this genre isn't my cup of tea.

It is better but if you are unsure you should wait until there is a sale.

Currently I think I prefer Diablo 3, it just is better designed both in gameplay and interface. But then it was 3x more expensive as well. But the focus on the auction house in D3 does drag it down.

Raide

Well, the game is way more open than Torchlight. If you disliked the feel or Torchlight, TL2 makes some interesting changes. Its a pretty good loot collecting game and you have a pet which you can use in combat, as well as sending to sell items or even shop for items if you need some.

Co-op alone makes it much better than the first game. It still suffers from some of the annoying issues the first game had but the positives outweigh the negatives so far.

no I bought it of Runic games and do not run it off steam

If I start the launcher while I am offline I just get the launcher but cannot start the actual game. The Play Game button is missing and there is a text noting that I am offline.
Is there a fix for this?

Also, any tips for transmuting ember?

I usually end up with worse ember than I begin with. Often I end up with Chaos Ember Chip, with is useless for my class.

THe level of the items that you transmute is what you get back. So you aren't going to get anything great out of it. Just the usual health, mana, damage bonus.

L00P

the alchemist must be one of the worst end bosses levels I have ever played these last 5 years I think.

lazy designed and annoying to play
I liked it. But that's probably because he was my favorite character in Torchlight 1 and I'm familiar with the skills he used.

Man, I hope somebody mods the classes from TL 1 into this game. That'd be ace.

you could always get the demo and find out for yourself, if you decide that you like it you can buy it and then literally enter a code and keep playing with the same character and everything.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
whats up with me not being able to play the game if I am not online?

I was offline when I started T2 but no play button appeared so I could not play the game.

people hated on Diablo 3 for this, yet I have not heard anything about Torchlight 2 requiring internet to run.

I have this on Steam, and have no issues with launching a character when there's no internet connection.

MasLegio

Banned
I really do not like the stash inventory, way to cramped and it does not even have autosort.

Needs more space, like in diablo where you can buy more space.

Also why do I have to have a map in my inventory to access it in mapworks?
That is just stupid. There are more maps to buy than there is room in the inventory (including stash.

I have this on Steam, and have no issues with launching a character when there's no internet connection.

I cant even start the game, just the launcher.

MrKaepora

Just finished the the game in normal.
Spoiler, shot of the final boss: http://imgur.com/IKXP3

And this is how I look:
E0hno.jpg

After playing off and on for the past week, I think I'm enjoying it like 70%. I keep wanting to play, but once I turn it on, I end up stopping after less than an hour.

I think what I am not super into is the left click/auto-attack style. I think the loot and the trees are actually quite interesting (except for the lack of a respec).

But no game has matched the moment to moment of D2 for me yet. I enjoyed the variability in NEVER having to use auto-attack later on. Be it through a WW barb, or an orb/blizz sorc, or a MS or Strafe zon, I really enjoyed thinking back to the way I was killing stuff at level 12 (lol, auto-attack) and laughing at how impotent and inelegant that was.

I haven't gotten that far in TL2 though--maybe that is to come? If so, which classes offer it?

Miletius

Level 33, finally got a rare greathammer.

Paladins_Fist.jpg

Where do I find some Dwarves?

Skip RE6, nosedive into TL2.

Lol, I just got that too. Basically I've been gambling for all my weapons and every few levels I'd buy out all of the 2 handed things in hope of getting a unqiue. So far it's been working!

snakes, ember mage is probably the best for that style of play. auto-attack can be replaced with a lowish mana spell pretty early-on if you spec right.

didamangi

Just started a new game on elite using Embermage. Looking at my shared stash from my previous play and wow, Minecraft Sword + Magma Spear = Easy Act 1 on Elite.

Also why do I have to have a map in my inventory to access it in mapworks?
That is just stupid. There are more maps to buy than there is room in the inventory (including stash.

Meh, I think it's fine. The maps are actually randomly generated every few minutes, and have different bonuses/penalties on them. Bonuses make maps cost more and penalties make them cost less. Just a way of making you invest, or another form of gambling. You paid 10,000 gold for this map, but it has 25% more gold find, so will it be worth it or not? etc.

I guess they could've made a system where you straight up pick the tileset and the modifiers and pay a certain amount, but whatever. It's fine as it is I think.

TL1 was my first PC ARPG, outside of the playing the D3 SE. I finished playing TL1 slightly after TL2 came out. I tried 2 out just to make a character and from a few minutes of playing I didn't want to go back to 1. I finished 1 and then dove right into 2. The difference was night and day to me. TL2 does almost everything better than TL1. The only thing I'd say I liked more in 1 was how you could build up the strength of your gems via transmuting 2 of the same type.

Anyways, if you are on the fence about it just give the demo a shot. If you like it and decide to buy the game you can continue playing with your character from it.

Man, I hope somebody mods the classes from TL 1 into this game. That'd be ace.
I wouldn't be surprised to see this be one of the first new class mods we get.

Luthos

The only mod I care about at the moment is infinite shared stash space.

I gave up on collecting the blue set pieces, but even so, I already have a full stash of oranges.

Naeblish

What about the respec potion mod? I just played the demo (gonna buy the full game today), and i really don't understand why you can only respec 3 skill points. What if you want a build with high lvl skills, you just autoattack until lvl 40?

SteveWD40

Based on a post here I started a mele / staves Outlander, using Glaive throw etc..

It's not as easy as the first game (each character had mele or ranged skills), most of the passives only affect ranged, but loving it so far at low level, feel like a badass Monk type.

When will mods start to hit Steamworks? I assume they won't label you a cheater once they are "offical"? Respec potion / mod is a must imho, why force re-rolls?

Wildesy

After playing off and on for the past week, I think I'm enjoying it like 70%. I keep wanting to play, but once I turn it on, I end up stopping after less than an hour.

I think what I am not super into is the left click/auto-attack style. I think the loot and the trees are actually quite interesting (except for the lack of a respec).

But no game has matched the moment to moment of D2 for me yet. I enjoyed the variability in NEVER having to use auto-attack later on. Be it through a WW barb, or an orb/blizz sorc, or a MS or Strafe zon, I really enjoyed thinking back to the way I was killing stuff at level 12 (lol, auto-attack) and laughing at how impotent and inelegant that was.

I haven't gotten that far in TL2 though--maybe that is to come? If so, which classes offer it?

I use shield bash as my auto-attack for my Engi. Does better damage than my weapon and builds charge insanely quick. Works really well.

MasLegio

Banned
Playing on a second character now and it feels like many of the maps I am playing are the same I went through with my first character.

Were not the maps supposed to be more randomized than in Diablo 3?

SteveWD40

Playing on a second character now and it feels like many of the maps I am playing are the same I went through with my first character.

Were not the maps supposed to be more randomized than in Diablo 3?

They are after a point, I re-rolled a few times so have done stuff like the Pirate Cove 4 times now, different layout roughly each time, same goes for many of the other maps, including some overworld (if not all baring the first bit?)

Edit: I have joined the Steam Group, can other UK / GMT Gaf folk drop me a friend request (same username)? I don't know who is from where but think it best if I co-op with people in the same time zone :)

MasLegio

Banned
They are after a point, I re-rolled a few times so have done stuff like the Pirate Cove 4 times now, different layout roughly each time, same goes for many of the other maps, including some overworld (if not all baring the first bit?)

Edit: I have joined the Steam Group, can other UK / GMT Gaf folk drop me a friend request (same username)? I don't know who is from where but think it best if I co-op with people in the same time zone :)
Pirate cove was one of the dungeons that was exactly the same for my 2 different characters.

Ferrio

Banned
My hybrid outlander working nicely now. Though I think it was a mistake to ignore strength even though I'm packing wands. Think i'll plink down some str for like 5 levels or so.

Stone pack and repulsion hex are amazing.

Morokh

What about the respec potion mod? I just played the demo (gonna buy the full game today), and i really don't understand why you can only respec 3 skill points. What if you want a build with high lvl skills, you just autoattack until lvl 40?

The cookie-cutter damage skills are usually the first ones to unlock, and you'll find that the usual complain is totally the opposite of what you say, because you can do extremely well with those first skills and the passives making the later skills look not so tempting at all.

Higher level skills usually combine more utility to damage, but their mana cost is way too high to have a build centered around them, so they are best used as complementary skills anyway.

And should you want to try a build centered around high level skills there is also way enough points you can spend to allow you to put some points in a lower level skill, and it will never really be obsolete with the way skills scale with your level and weapon damage.
You could even still make use of it when you start your real build for one of it's side effect (stun/shield break/escape).

There are ways to respec your character by using console 'cheats' and you can bet the first mod that will come out when they release the tools will be this one.

Fugu

My hybrid outlander working nicely now. Though I think it was a mistake to ignore strength even though I'm packing wands. Think i'll plink down some str for like 5 levels or so.

Stone pack and repulsion hex are amazing.
Repulsion hex will allow you to beat many champions by merely running into them and holding LMB. There are many enemies in the game that don't take being pushed back by it very well.

K.Jack

Not really enjoying Elite with my Engineer right now. Might just start over now, and on a lower difficulty (Veteeran), and save Elite for an Embermage or Outlander run.

For fun, I opened up a LAN, and lowered the difficulty to Normal, just to see how much easier the boss dungeon I'm stuck on
The Djinn's Luminous Arena challenge
would get. I can't understand why they'd make such a piss easy Normal mode. I just couldn't die if I wanted to, and was literally busting out laughing at the absurdity.

Ocho

Not really enjoying Elite with my Engineer right now. Might just start over now, and on a lower difficulty (Veteeran), and save Elite for an Embermage or Outlander run.

For fun, I opened up a LAN, and lowered the difficulty to Normal, just to see how much easier the boss dungeon I'm stuck on
would get. I can't understand why they'd make such a piss easy Normal mode. I just couldn't die if I wanted to, and was literally busting out laughing at the absurdity.

To be fair, that's the only quest I had a problem with on Veteran with my engineer. Completed it online with another engy.

Miletius

Kind of how I feel on my 2 hander. Basically what helps is just getting a few more levels under your belt. But yeah, I feel like you have to have a very specific skill set choice and be willing to take it slow if you want to play on elite.

sixghost

Is it a 2hand or Sword and Shield engy? I hit a huge wall in the snow area in act 1 with a 2hander, then tried again with s&s and had a much easier time. Maybe I just built the 2hander wrong, but it was like night and day.

MasLegio

Banned
I am now playing frosted hills with my second character and it looks exactly as when I played it with my first character.

Is there something wrong with my game?

Miletius

Is it a 2hand or Sword and Shield engy? I hit a huge wall in the snow area in act 1 with a 2hander, then tried again with s&s and had a much easier time. Maybe I just built the 2hander wrong, but it was like night and day.

His is a 2 hander engy, I think since we were happy about getting the same weapon earlier.

Ferrio

Banned
Also yesterday I finally had a unique drop that I could use on my outlander. A wand! Didn't have any mana on hit though. Luckily someone in the game I was in found a unique 10 mana on hit gem and gave it to me.

K.Jack

Yeah I'm a 2h engy, with cannon as secondary.

It could just be that my build it bad. I'm:

Lvl. 39

9 points each in Flame Hammer, Heal Bot, Blast Cannon, and Heavy Lifting
8 pts in Gun Bot
3 pts in Coup de Grace
1 pt in Ember Hammer
+ 3 unused

Unassissted Str/Dex/Foc/Vit are 81/39/32/78

My pride says I'm going to die trying with this Elite, grinding it out an inch of ground at a time.

Miletius

Yeah I'm a 2h engy, with cannon as secondary.

It could just be that my build it bad. I'm:

Lvl. 39

9 points each in Flame Hammer, Heal Bot, Blast Cannon, and Heavy Lifting
8 pts in Gun Bot
3 pts in Coup de Grace
1 pt in Ember Hammer
+ 3 unused

Unassissted Str/Dex/Foc/Vit are 81/39/32/78

My pride says I'm going to die trying with this Elite, an inch of ground at a time.

I would say that it's pretty much mandatory to have points in Forcefield on Elite. Otherwise you'll pretty much just be getting 2 hit by everything. Also, you'll want to focus a bit more on dex and less on Vit, since the point to HP ratio is really bad for Vitality.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Any word on whether or not NG+ offers better loot compare to NG (your first playthrough)?

Mapworks seems pretty stingy on the unique items so a friend and I are considering going on to NG+ since oranges seem to drop on all story boss fights.

Any word on whether or not NG+ offers better loot compare to NG (your first playthrough)?

Mapworks seems pretty stingy on the unique items so a friend and I are considering going on to NG+ since oranges seem to drop on all story boss fights.

Higher level loot, some are the same with better stats and there are new ones to get as well.

I'm playing a Hardcore Character on Normal, and just started Act 3.

I always play Single Player, am I making a mistake? I don't want to die.. it seems Act 3 is poison heavy so im going to outfit my armor so it has a lot of poison resistance.

Should I start playing online?

K.Jack

I would say that it's pretty much mandatory to have points in Forcefield on Elite. Otherwise you'll pretty much just be getting 2 hit by everything. Also, you'll want to focus a bit more on dex and less on Vit, since the point to HP ratio is really bad for Vitality.

For the Dodge%, I assume? I've mostly been pumping Vit because this Lvl.30+ armor has been having high Vit reqs, like 80+.

So as currently geared up I'm 111/45/44/98; should I start pumping the full 5 points into Dex for several levels? And how high is enough, or is the answer "higher"?

A friend gifted this to me a few days ago.

After only ~7 hours I'm getting the feeling it's my favorite ARPG ever.
Yes, it's that good.

Miletius

For the Dodge%, I assume? I've mostly been pumping Vit because this Lvl.30+ armor has been having high Vit reqs, like 80+.

So as currently geared up I'm 111/45/44/98; should I start pumping the full 5 points into Dex for several levels? And how high is enough, or is the answer "higher"?

Yes, it's that good.

I think others can answer better than I can but I think the common wisdom is to stack dex to certain thresholds, like 10 (58ish)or 20 (114ish) percent dodge.

I concentrated on a 2 str/2dex/1vit every time I leveled and I noticed a difference. So, based on your situation I'd probably pump at least a couple of levels in dex but you might not notice the defensive boost right away. Plus crit also helps with getting Coup de Grace procs, which gives you an offensive boost.

The most important thing really is to get some points into FF, so that you can start taking some hits. I'd say it's important enough that you really probably want to either pop a potion of respec or redo your char, which might not be attractive options.

K.Jack

I think others can answer better than I can but I think the common wisdom is to stack dex to certain thresholds, like 10 (58ish)or 20 (114ish) percent dodge.

I concentrated on a 2 str/2dex/1vit every time I leveled and I noticed a difference. So, based on your situation I'd probably pump at least a couple of levels in dex but you might not notice the defensive boost right away. Plus crit also helps with getting Coup de Grace procs, which gives you an offensive boost.

The most important thing really is to get some points into FF, so that you can start taking some hits. I'd say it's important enough that you really probably want to either pop a potion of respec or redo your char, which might not be attractive options.

Thanks for the advice.

I threw the 3 free points I had into FF, and could immediately feel the difference against the final boss of Act 2. It absorbs 764 points of All Damage, and that's before I pop it with +50% per tick of the full Charge meter.

Now that I'm in Act 3, I'm not turning back from this Elite run.
Luminous arena is making me angry :(

It's so bullshit.

Raide

Bleh, they still did not fix the Aiming issues from Torchlight 1.

I am enjoying the game but it does not feel like the sequel I wanted. More open is great but the combat seems a tad boring and mainly rehashed from Torchlight 1. Engineer is pretty fun but it seems you can happily plow through the game with 1 attack if you really want.

Sunk about 15 hours in so far, will keep playing because I love loot but the little niggles are grating.

Top Bottom